Interlude

Brothers Were Brave

Taewoon’s throat ached. His mouth felt dry. He reached for the water bottle he kept on his desk; it was empty.

What time was it?

The glare of his phone’s screen made him flinch. 5:00 a.m. again.

The hours of practice caught up with him. Exhaustion nearly knocked him off his feet. It was too late (too early?) to go back home.

After gulping down half a gallon of water, Taewoon collapsed on the cold, hard floor.

Just a few hours, that was all he needed. Just a few hours of sleep and he would start practicing again.

Sleep crept up on him, but just as he began to surrender, he remembered Eun Mi. She would be up soon, starting her day right as he finished his. He wondered if she would be okay, wondered if whatever had upset her could really wait as long as he had asked her to.

Feeling guilty and concerned, Taewoon composed a text message and scheduled it to send at a more decent hour.

Truthfully, he longed to see her so much it hurt. If he could bring himself to do so, he would take a day off and spend it with her. He couldn’t, however, neither could he afford it. He’d given up SPEED for this opportunity. He had to prove to them that he’d left for a purpose.

Taewoon had to succeed. He just had to.


Eun Mi’s alarm startled her awake. She rushed to silence it, worried that it might’ve woken up Chorong as well. Groaning, Chorong turned away, deep in dreamland.

For a moment, Eun Mi didn’t remember why Chorong was with her or where she was. When she caught sight of the camera mounted on the wall, she remembered. Getting up had never seemed so exhausting.

By the time she got out of the shower, dressed, and towel dried her hair, Chorong had woken up. She stumbled into the bathroom, looking dazed and with a terrible bed head.

“Good morning, unnie.”

Chorong mumbled a reply that could’ve passed for the growls of an angry cat. Eun Mi bit back her laugh.

“Oh,” Chorong pinched her cheek. “My face is so swollen. Are the cameras on?”

Eun Mi nodded. “They left them on overnight since the guys were up until late.”

“Oh, no. I need to get rid of the swelling. We should bring a humidifier into the room, the air feels a little dry.”

Reaching for a towel, Eun Mi ran it under cold water, pressing it gently against Chorong’s face.

“Are you going somewhere?” her voice came across muffled and soft through the towel.

“Mm. I have to be at the company by eight. It’s the farthest from here, so Tae Jun oppa and I are getting a head start.”

“You’re going with Tae Jun oppa?”

“Yes. We’re carpooling.”

“Look at you going green.”

Eun Mi smiled, checking Chorong’s face. “It looks like it’s gone down. Do it a few more times and it’ll be okay.”

“Eun Mi, you’re an angel.”

She laughed, shaking her head. “Well, this angel is about to go wake up Tae Jun oppa. I hope he doesn’t murder me.”

“Good luck!”

*

Tae Jun heard Eun Mi’s cautious knocking. He pulled himself out of bed effortlessly, opening the door slowly. Eun Mi stood before him, bare faced and ready for a day-long practice. Her hair was still wet from her shower, but her eyes were clear behind her glasses.

“Uh, Eun Mi, good morning.”

“Good morning. Did I wake up your roommate?”

Tae Jun glanced over his shoulder at Zico. As far as he could tell, he was dead to the world. “Doesn’t look like it. What time is it?”

“A little after six.”

“You could’ve slept in. Manager Jo could’ve picked you up later.”

“You’re already headed that way. It’s better like this. Coffee or tea?”

“Coffee. With tons of caffeine.”

“You’re a mess.”

“Thanks. Give me a few minutes.”


In the kitchen, Eun Mi bumped into Sunggyu. He seemed to still be half asleep as he shuffled about looking for something.

“Good morning, sunbaenim.”

“Huh? Oh, yeah, good morning.”

“What are you looking for?”

Sunggyu paused, scratching the back of his head. “What am I looking for?”

Stifling a laugh had never proven so difficult. She found him adorable. “Coffee, maybe?”

“Coffee? Oh, yeah, that.”

Sunbaenim, why don’t you let me do it? I’m making some for Tae Jun oppa, too.”

“Yeah, sure.”

Eun Mi expected him to move, but Sunggyu simply stood there, swaying ever so slightly. Biting her tongue, Eun Mi guided him to one of the sofas in the living room, watching as he slumped into sleep.

“Just how late did they stay up?”

Laughing under her breath, Eun Mi left him to sleep for a few more minutes.

When Tae Jun joined her a few moments later, he looked as if he’d seen a ghost. He looked over at Sunggyu, shaking his head.

“Did hyung spend the night there?”

“I don’t know. I found him wandering around here half asleep. I made him coffee but I’m not sure if he was sleep walking or not.”

“Hey, that’s something a little irresponsible to say, don’t you think?”

Eun Mi’s cheeks flushed, she stuck her tongue out at Tae Jun as she gave him his coffee. “I didn’t say it with ill intent.”

Tae Jun only laughed. She went back upstairs, handing Chorong a coffee and drinking her tea with milk.

“Are you leaving now?” Chorong asked her when she saw her gathering her things. Eun Mi pushed her hair out of her face, securing it underneath a snapback. She’d never worn snapbacks before, but today seemed as good a day as any to try it.

“Yup! Unnie, I’ll see you later. Have a good day!”

“You too!”

Eun Mi blew her a kiss. Chorong caught it with one hand.

Tae Jun waited for her in the car, a small crew ready to follow them in another. Eun Mi felt a little bad for making them work this early.

“What’s that?” Tae Jun flicked the underside of the bill, making the snapback raise a little. Eun Mi gripped it in place, frowning at him.

“An A.Borealis gave it to me, don’t mistreat it!”

Tae Jun looked at the pearlescent aqua embroidery on the black fabric, a tiny smile tugging at his lips. “A.Borealis have got you down to a T.”

“Does it look okay, though?”

He didn’t answer. Eun Mi’s eyes widened. She reached over and smacked his arm. “You’re such a jerk!”

He laughed.

Eun Mi settled back in her seat, buckling up with a pout. She used one of the cameras to check her image. Did she look weird with snapbacks?

“Eun Mi-ah, stop fussing, it looks good.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“Fine, it doesn’t suit you.”

“Gosh, I hate you!”

“Uh huh, love you too.”

It didn’t take anyone long to figure out who was Jerry and who was Tom in their relationship.

The ride to B.Star ENT. proved to be different than the previous times Eun Mi had been in a car. She didn’t blast music or sing; instead, she bought a newspaper and read the news aloud. She would look for words that did not sound familiar to her. After nearly a decade in Korea, there weren’t many.

She read almost everything in the newspaper, including the news about fellow celebrities. By the time they arrived, her stomach was in knots, her head felt full of information that she would rather not know.

Tae Jun gave her shoulder a pat. “Hey, it’s never as bad as it seems. Remember, the newspapers simply compile all the bad, grave, and distasteful. There’s good out there.”

“I know.” Eun Mi elbowed him, tossing the newspaper into a recycling bin. Tae Jun pressed his thumb into the keypad by the front entrance of the building. He allowed the production crew in ahead of them, carefully scanning their surroundings.

Eun Mi faced forward, placing her hand over her mic as discreetly as she could. “Anything?”

Tae Jun gave a diminutive, almost undiscernible nod. “11 o’clock.”

She peeked over her shoulder, using her hair as an excuse.

There she was again, the same girl that had been following Ryouta for the last couple of months. She sat across the street, her ankles crossed, knees pressed together, a thin blanket wrapped around her shoulders. Beside her, a traditional looking Japanese lunchbox waited. Her hair gleamed with oil, her face looked grimy and unwashed.

A chill ran down Eun Mi’s back as followed Tae Jun inside. “How can someone do that? Tell Ryouta to come in through the back.”

“I already did.”

“Good.”

“I’ll see you at lunch time.”

“See you then.”


CEO Choi did not expect to see Eun Mi until later in the week, so he was surprised when he found her waiting for him in his office.

“Eun Mi? What brings you here so early?”

Eun Mi, having stood when he entered, bowed to him in solemnity. CEO Choi froze, tugging at his tie as he realized that this meeting would be a stressful one.

“Sit. Tell me, what’s the matter?”

She hesitated. Inhaling deeply, she took the plunge. “Mr. Choi, there are several things I want to talk to you about.”

“Eun Mi, you know that you can speak comfortably with me. What’s troubling you?”

Too much was troubling her, too many things demanded her attention, fed from her concern. She bit her lip, clasping her hands tightly.

“Mr. Choi, as CELESTIAL’s leader, I have something to tell you.”

He leaned forward, placing his elbow on his knee. A single crease appeared between his eyebrows, a curious trait that never failed to intrigue her.

“I have no proof, it’s just a feeling that I have, but it would be wise if at least someone knows.”

“Eun Mi, you’re making me nervous. It’s unlike you to beat around the bush.”

“It is, isn’t it?” She exhale a shaky breath. “I believe that DAEE might be seeing someone. Again, I have no proof. She hasn’t said anything to any of us, either, but she’s been sneaking out of the dorm with the excuse that she’s coming over here to practice. DAEE has never been good at lying, she gets too nervous and forgets the lies and excuses she’s already used. I’m worried about her.”

“What makes you think that it might be a man that she’s seeing?”

“Mr. Choi, I don’t know how to explain it. I have this feeling. You’re the only one I’ve told this to. If I’m wrong, then I’m wrong and there is no harm done. But if something were to happen before DAEE manages to tell us, then it would be good to have a plan already in place, don’t you think?”

He nodded, agreeing with her fully. “I can’t do anything unless DAEE tells us herself, but you did well in telling me. We’ll come up with a plan in case something goes astray. For now, let’s both pretend we don’t know anything and watch over her.”

Mr. Choi had expected Eun Mi to agree and excuse herself, but instead, she agreed and took another deep breath.

“Eun Mi?”

She swallowed, feeling as if a thousand needles made their way down ; she cleared it. “I-I have something else to tell you. As—”

“As?”

“As CELESTIAL’s leader Eun Mi and as your niece Song Ma Ri.”

Startled, CEO Choi sat up straight. Eun Mi had never been one to merge the personal with the professional. She kept their relationship strictly employer-employee six out of the seven days of the week, only venturing into the personal when they had dinner together at home or on Sundays.

“O-oh. What is it?”

“Mr. Choi—uncle,” she braced herself, blurting the words out before she changed her mind. “I’m seeing someone!”

Mr. Choi would’ve fallen out of his chair if the shock had not rooted him to the seat. “W-what?”

“I—I’m seeing someone.”

“Please tell me it’s someone from church.”

“He isn’t.”

“Song Ma Ri!”

“Uncle,” she reached for his hand, taking it in hers firmly. “Uncle, I know it’s irresponsible of me. I know that it could put CELESTIAL at risk, especially because I’m the leader.”

“If you know then how could you go through with it?”

“Because! Because I just like him so, so, so much, uncle.”

CEO Choi turned away from her large, puppy eyes. He hated it when she did that, hated when she enlarged her eyes so much and blinked back tears with those long eyelashes. Mr. Choi was certain she’d learned it from her aunt.

He could do nothing else but harrumph in defeat, sending her a sidelong glance. “Is this the same boy Minha caught you talking to?”

A blush spread across Eun Mi’s face. “Y-yes.”

“Is he also the same one you had a secret rendezvous with at Café Mid-moon?”

“H-how did you know?!”

“I’m your uncle, it’s my job to know. Who is he? How long have you know him?”

“A little more than a month? Maybe two?”

“What? And you two are already dating?”

She nodded.

“Kids nowadays! Shouldn’t you two have gotten to know each other first? Be friends before anything else?”

“People act differently according to the relationship that they have with others. Just like you and I act differently here than how we are at home, the same applies to every relationship. If he and I had become friends first, we would have acted differently towards each other. I wouldn’t have gotten to know him as a man, I would’ve gotten to know him as a friend. I’ll get to know him as a man this way, and later as a friend.”

“Are you sure about that?” Mr. Choi watched her blush deepen.

“Well, that’s what I’m hoping for. I don’t know! I’m new at this!”

Sighing, he patted her hand. “So, who is he?”

“He’s a really nice man, he has really kind eyes, and a warm personality.”

“Ma Ri-ah, don’t avoid the question. Who is he?”

Eun Mi sighed, her body nearly deflating. “Woo Taewoon.”

“Who?”

A flame of annoyance lit itself in Eun Mi’s stomach. “Woo Taewoon, uncle. Woo. Tae. Woon.”

“I don’t know who that is. Are you sure he’s a celebrity?”

“Uncle!”

“Hold on, let me ask the little green box.”

“Just ask me! Woo Taewoon, former leader of SPEED under MBK Entertainment. Born on the eleventh of May of 1990. Blood type B. Height 6’0’’. He’s Catholic, and he likes to jog in the mornings when he has time. He draws really well and is interested in songwriting.”

“Look at you!” he laughed. “SPEED, huh? What about his family?”

Eun Mi sighed, giving him the details on Mr. Woo’s career and on Taewoon’s mother. She hadn’t met them yet, so she had little to say about them.

“Mm. Does he have any siblings?”

“He—I—Well…”

CEO Choi raised his eyebrows, treading carefully. “Did his siblings…pass away?”

“Oh goodness, no! God forbid!”

“Then? Do I need to ask the little green box?”

Eun Mi held her breath, closing her eyes tightly. Her uncle would not like this, he would not like this at all.

“He has a younger brother. Woo Jiho.”

“Woo Jiho.” He paused. The name rang a bell, left an unpleasant aftertaste in his mouth. “Woo. Ji. Ho.”

Seeing the realization dawn on him made Eun Mi want to hide. Dark, angry shadows clouded his usually handsome and friendly face. He stood up, a storm ready to wreak havoc.

“Zico? Woo Zico?!”

“Yes.”

“You’re dating Woo Zico’s hyung?”

Now it was Eun Mi’s turn to leap to her feet, her hands on her hips, chin out, nose up. “No. I am not dating Zico’s hyung. I’m dating Woo Taewoon. Woo. Tae. Woon!

“Alright, alright, I got it.” He motioned for her to sit back down. Eun Mi sank into her seat, leaning back, her arms crossed over her chest. He hated it when she sat that way, claiming that it was disrespectful. Fully aware of this, she still did it, her childish and petty way of getting back at him for being mean to Taewoon.

CEO Choi rubbed his face. He didn’t know what to say. B.Star Ent. had no rule against their idols dating. He hadn’t requested that of any of their solo singers, actors, comedians, or L6. The director had considered banning it for the idol groups, but he’d opposed. He had expected one of the boys to be the first to come clean about dating, maybe Dae Jung or Kain; the possibility that Eun Mi and DAEE would be the first ones really took him by surprise.

Neither had shown any interest in men. Both of them worked so hard towards CELESTIAL’s debut and success that no one in the company expected them to have any desire or time to be in a relationship.

Eun Mi glanced at her uncle, pushing her tongue against the inside of her cheek. She only ever did that when she felt annoyed by him.

“What? Why are you the one that’s annoyed? I’m the CEO here, if something goes wrong, I’m the one that will have to handle it.”

His niece didn’t reply. Instead, her eyes narrowed, she tossed her hair over her shoulder, turning her head away from him in disdain.

“Hey, Song Ma Ri, you’re being rude.”

“You were the rude one. Calling Taewoon ‘Zico’s hyung’. Hmph!”

Mr. Choi didn’t quite understand why that had upset her so much, but he figured he should apologize either way. He didn’t like to see Eun Mi upset, it made him nervous. She was fragile when upset.

“I’m sorry, I’ll call him by his name. Woo Taewoon. How did you meet Mr. Woo?”

Somewhat appeased, Eun Mi sat up. “At St. Cecilia’s. That day when I couldn’t sleep and Tae Jun oppa and Su Jong-ah went looking for me. After the fiasco on that pilot episode.”

“So you’re telling me that you met Mr. Woo the day after you found out that his little brother’s behavior had caused the cancelation of that pilot episode?”

She nodded.

Mr. Choi wondered what kind of crazy, unbelievable coincidence had occurred. Maybe a sick twist of fate?

“Eun Mi, tell me truth, what exactly is going on with Block B’s Zico?”

“Uncle, even I am not sure about that.” Eun Mi exhaled a deep sigh.

“Did you two meet prior to the filming? Once during a music show, a broadcast, maybe?”

“Never before, uncle. I mean, there were several times that we were in the same building, but we never exchanged anything more that formal greetings. Block B is our senior after all, as CELESTIAL we always greeted them. Zico always seemed too preoccupied with one thing or another and never paid us much attention. I didn’t actually interact with him until that day.”

Remembering how mean, rude, and cold Zico had been made Eun Mi’s palms sweat. Realizing that he was still mean to her without reason made her stomach hurt.

“I guess he just doesn’t like me.”

“How could he not like you? He doesn’t even know you.”

“It can happen. Sometimes, you can’t like a person no matter how hard you try. You might feel like your entire being is filling up with evil poison from disliking them so much, but you cannot get rid of that feeling no matter how much you may want to. Even praying for them is a little hard.”

Mr. Choi sighed, nodding slowly. No matter how well liked Eun Mi was at the company, there had been an instance in the past where a trainee had disliked her so much she’d even gone as far as pushing Eun Mi down a flight of stairs. Thankfully, Eun Mi had been holding onto the railing, so she’d only stumbled and gotten some deep bruises with a scrape here and there. When he’d asked the trainee why she’d done it, she’d only scoffed and said, “Because I don’t like her.”

And when she’d been asked why, she had looked him dead in the eye and replied, “I just don’t.”

As unfortunate as the event had been, both Mr. Choi and Eun Mi understood that it was possible to dislike without any real reason. They didn’t, however, excuse her actions.

Either way, he understood the point Eun Mi was trying to make.

“Strange.”

“Uncle?”

“It’s strange that while one brother makes you break out in cold sweat, the other bewitched you enough into dating him. Is this Woo Taewoon really that great? Is he cooler than your favorite uncle? Huh?”

Eun Mi’s cheeks flared red. “No one is cooler than you, uncle! Well… he’s just a little bit cooler than you.”

“What? You’re kidding right? Hey, where do you think you’re going?”

Eun Mi hurried out of the room, bowing to him as she went. “I’ll see you at home whenever I’m done with my schedules. Mr. Choi, please watch over DAEE and myself kindly! Thank you!”

“Hey! Song Eun Mi!”

His protests fell on a closing door. He sat there, staring after her, bewildered by her behavior.

“Ah,” he said with a small gasp. “A girl in love. She’s acting like a girl in love.”

Still, Eun Mi had been responsible. She knew that many people watched CELESTIAL closely. If someone were to find out about her or DAEE’s relationship, the company would have to step in and release an official statement. That, of course, was standard procedure. However, by letting him know ahead of time, he could prepare properly and without rushing.

“Woo Taewoon. Woo Taewoon.”

CEO Choi paced around his office, lost deep in thought. He pulled out his cell phone, staring at the image that popped up as he searched his name in the net.

“Oh? He kind of looks like a bear. Hmph. He doesn’t look cool at all.”


Leaning against the closed office door, Eun Mi exhaled a deep sigh. Her cheeks burned, her neck did too. Her conversation with her uncle wasn’t finished, she knew, but she couldn’t help feeling overly embarrassed.

For the first time since her arrival in Korea, she’d met someone. Aunt Minha celebrated it; she wasn’t so sure that her uncle felt the same.

Well, it would have to wait. She had work to do.

As she made her way down to the practice room, her phone chimed, scaring her out of her wits. The text message made her smile. She sent a thankful, loving, and warm reply. Halfway down the stairs, she paused.

Was she doing the right thing?