Between Brothers

Brothers Were Brave

Drawers opened and closed. Shirts, snapbacks, pants, underwear, and socks flew over his shoulders, landing messily within a hard suitcase. Zico was a packing tornado.

He had no time to organize everything individually. His strategy had always been to make a messy pile first, then fold it neatly. If he paused to do it right, he would forget the things he needed. He could not afford to forget anything.

The week had been so exhaustingly busy. He’d practiced with Block B, MCed for Show! Music Core, been at several other filmings, worked, and, most importantly, auditioned for a new reality show. Among all the work and hustle, he’d briefly glanced at the news.

On March 24th, news outlets had announced Taewoon’s departure from SPEED along with his future collaborative work with Block B’s Zico.

Zico could hear his older brother working in his room. He hadn’t seen or heard him come home; with their parents out, Taewoon had opted not to use his work headphones. Zico could hear the birth of his brother’s songs. Every now and then, Taewoon’s word selection would make Zico hesitate, but just when he felt he should intervene, Taewoon retracted his steps to deliver a much more powerful line that Zico himself had not thought of.

Taewoon, Zico knew, had a vast amount of unknown songs. Some were rough, others incomplete, abandoned after fighting him for too long, still others were raw, brilliant. Taewoon had never allowed Zico to take a look at his entire collection. Rare was the occasion in which Taewoon asked him for his opinion on more than a handful of his works.

The fact that they would be working together thrilled Zico. He knew Taewoon was proud of him, he’d said so himself many times, but he could not help wondering if that was entirely true.

Taewoon worked just as hard as Zico. Sometimes even harder. Fortune had not favored the eldest Woo child as much as the youngest. Debuting under a seemingly incompetent company that could not handle scandals, struggling to gain a foothold in the industry, making his second debut with SPEED only to have his name be forgotten, replaced instead with “Zico’s hyung.”

Zico knew Taewoon loved him. Zico also knew that he should rid himself of the heavy, knife-like chill of dread that gnawed on his insides whenever he questioned Taewoon’s opinion of him. He couldn’t help it, wondering if his brother’s resentment of him was just as much or greater than his love for him.

He could not blame him if it was, neither could he excuse him.

Whenever Zico thought to bring up the subject, the words died on his lips as Taewoon threw a long arm around his shoulders, pinched his cheeks, or pulled a brotherly prank on him. His brother’s bear-like appearance and affection never failed to comfort him of his honesty. Zico tried to focus on the many smiles he’d received instead of the haunting shadows, the whispers of evil tongues that planted the seeds of doubt in his mind. Those thoughts never failed to make his heart fearful.

Though Zico’s steps were always sure, he felt himself faltering whenever he contemplated that there must be some ill between him and Taewoon.

“Jiho-yah, when did you get here? I didn’t hear you come in.”

Zico looked up from his suitcase. Taewoon leaned against the frame of his bedroom door, his arms crossed lazily.

“I just came in.”

Taewoon raised his eyebrows as he nodded in the direction of his suitcase. “It seems like you’ve been here for a while. Do you have everything you need? I heard it’s warm in Hanoi at this time. Make sure you take a jacket just in case. If you get sick you’ll have a hard time working.”

“Yeah, I will.”

“Did you have dinner already?”

“Not yet.”

Taewoon straightened up as his phone started ringing in his pocket. “Let’s have dinner before you head back to the dorms,” he told him as he took the call. He his heels, headed back into his room, and shut the door.

With a silly, happy smile, Zico hurried to get his packing done. Time with is big brother was precious. He shouldn’t waste it.


“Hey, I didn’t think I’d hear from you tonight,” Taewoon whispered as he shut his bedroom door behind him.

“Did I interrupt you? You can call me back later when you have time.” Eun Mi matched his hushed tone.

“No, of course not. I’m taking a break. Are you all packed up for Hanoi?”

“Yes, I’m just waiting on the girls to finish their own packing. The PDs gave us this camera to film our packing process. Ienna is having too much fun with it.”

Taewoon grinned as he laid on his bed, one arm tucked behind his head. “Shouldn’t you be the one directing?”

“I am not going to come in between that camera and Ienna. That’d be suicide. I enjoy living, thank you very much.”

He laughed.

“Did you pack a jacket? What about your medication?”

“That’s all packed and ready. Oh wait! I forgot to pack socks.”

Taewoon could hear Eun Mi rummaging around her room, the thought of her diving into a drawer full of mixed-matched socks made him smile.

“How are you?” Eun Mi asked.

“I’m good. I’ve been working. Practicing. You know, same old, same old.”

“How’s SPEED?”

“They’re doing well. Did Taeha say something to you?”

“Nothing out of the ordinary. He was being a jerk though.”

“What did he do?”

“He wouldn’t tell me when SPEED’s comeback would be.”

He could hear the disappointed fangirl pout in her voice. “Well that’s confidential information, Eun Mi-ah.”

“Do you know when they’ll have their comeback?”

“Of course I do.”

He knew her next question before she asked it.

“When? When? When?”

Taewoon grinned like an idiot. He covered his face with his hand, feeling a warmth spread through his being. Eun Mi was just too cute!

“That’s confidential information.”

“Hey!”

“Sorry, but I really can’t tell you.”

“You’re just as mean as Taeha. Fine. I won’t tell you guys when CELESTIAL will have a comeback either!”

“That’s alright, I’m waiting for AOA anyway.”

“Ugh! You’re so mean!”

“And you’re too cute. I think we’re even.”

“That is such flawed logic!”

Taewoon laughed. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately.


Zico stood outside Taewoon’s room, his ear carefully inclined towards the door. He could hear his brother laughing between words, teasing whomever he spoke to.

He had often heard him talk to his past girlfriends before, but it was nothing like this. Even in his indiscernible whispers, Zico could identify a tenderness that had been absent in previous relationships. Taewoon’s voice floated gently, carrying with it the feelings that Zico had never before witnessed in him.

He spoke almost as if he were afraid that that person would break. He laughed, charmed.

Zico blinked, puzzled, curious.

He felt he shouldn’t interrupt; he did so anyway. Knocking, he cut Taewoon off mid-sentence.

“Hyung?”

“Are you ready, Jiho-ah?”

“Yeah.”

“Give me a few seconds.”

Zico let Taewoon say goodbye to his girlfriend, waiting for him in the living room.


Taewoon slipped on his hoodie, the very same one Eun Mi had washed for him. The detergent she’d used smelled nicer than the one he’d used at the dorms and home; a gentle scent of rain drops, it seemed.

Zico waited for him patiently, scrolling through his phone absentmindedly.

“Jiho-ah, let’s go.”

They walked leisurely down their neighborhood to the closest grill. They’d frequented the place often when they were younger and not as busy. They talked about the weather, the plans for the summer, several songs they intended to work on as soon as Zico had a little more time.

“What about Block B? When will you guys make a comeback?”

Zico rubbed the back of his neck, rotating it gently. “I’m not sure. Right now, we’re focusing on our first sub-unit.”

“Did you guys draw lots to see who’d be in it?” Taewoon teased, giving his shoulder a playful nudge. “I wouldn’t put it past you guys.”

“Neither would BBC,” Zico laughed.

“Did you include your name in that more than once?”

“Eey, what kind of guy do you think I am?”

Laughing, they rounded a corner, bumping into a group of school girls. They apologized, bowing. The girls did the same until one of them gasped as she recognized Zico.

“Oh my gosh! It’s Block B’s Zico!”

The rest glanced at Zico before squealing. They respectfully asked him for his autograph or a picture. Taewoon offered to take it for them.

Zico kept a close eye on Taewoon. He stood a ways off from the group as he focused the camera on them.

“Zico, smile. Wider, c’mon!”

The girls exchanged puzzled looks at the familiarity in which he addressed Zico. After the photo, only one of them focused enough to notice the family resemblance between them.

“Ah! Zico’s hyung!”

“That’s right!”

“Zico’s hyung! It’s Zico’s hyung!”

Taewoon’s smile tightened. Zico ushered them on their way hurriedly. They didn’t talk about it. The rest of the walk to the restaurant was made in silence.

Worrying, Zico sought any thread of conversation that would ease the sting off Taewoon’s feelings.

“What’s that smell?” he ventured, sniffing Taewoon’s jacket. “Mom changed detergents?”

Taewoon’s lips twitched. “No, mom’s still using the same.”

“Which one is it? I like it.”

“I don’t know,” Taewoon said with a smile. “But I can ask.”

He drew his cell phone, using whatever excuse he could find to talk to Eun Mi. Taewoon wasn’t quite ready to share her existence with Zico just yet. He took care to never say her name around him. Besides, he knew that something unpleasant had happened between them. Taeha had hinted as much a few nights ago.

“Hyung, do you have a girlfriend?”

“No.”

“Then you’re talking to someone?”

“What makes you think that?”

“That stupid smile you have plastered on your face.”

“Is it that obvious?”

“No .”

Taewoon laughed, saying nothing more. Zico glanced at him. Unable to resist the urge, he pressed him for information.

“How long have you known her?”

“Not long. We met a few weeks ago by chance. Although I’m starting to think it might’ve been through Divine Intervention.”

Zico whistled. “Hyung, you’ve only known her for a couple of weeks and you already sound so love-struck.”

“I think I might be.”

“Whoa! Slow down there Don Juan!”

This time, Taewoon didn’t laugh. He gave Zico a smile as he opened the door to the restaurant, allowing him to walk in first. They secured their favorite table, ordered the usual, and promised the owner that they would visit more in the future.

“So, who is she?”

“Just someone.”

“Do I know her?”

Taewoon gestured zipping his lips shut.

“Hyung, c’mon! Since when do we not tell each other these things?”

“Jiho-ah, this time, just give me some time. It isn’t anything against you. I just want to see where this goes before I share it with others.”

Zico realized that the girl in question was an idol. He could tell from the manner in which Taewoon protected her.

The Woo brothers had experience with women, of course, but they were usually so busy that they did not have much time to date. When they did, they spent it with friends or family or each other. Every now and then when they found themselves a girlfriend it never lasted more than a few months; their girlfriends always grew tired of coming in second to their careers. Zico in particular had received his fair share of slaps when he chose his work over them.

Taewoon kept a low profile whenever he dated. He’d never brought a girl home to meet their mother, never even mentioned them to her. Zico would let her know once in a while that there was someone he wanted to invest some time and attention in. Taewoon didn’t.

Of course, their mother knew that Taewoon must’ve been in a couple of relationships. She only ever found out after they’d broken up, however.

Between themselves, though, they knew more than anyone would ever know. They’d often shared several drinks over this heartbreak or that. When things got particularly difficult, they often confided in one another. It was not uncommon that they’d often dated simply to rid themselves of the spells of loneliness that assaulted them.

The fact that Taewoon refused to speak of this girl made her special. He’d never withheld information from Zico before, especially of this nature. Talking about their relationships was something uniquely theirs; something strictly between brothers.

“She’s that special, huh?” Zico said as he took a thoughtful drink of beer.

Taewoon turned the meat over in the grill, keeping his eyes on the sizzling flesh. His phone chimed on the table; he spared it a glance before looking at Zico.

“Spring rain,” he said.

“What?”

“That’s the scent of the detergent she uses.”

Zico blinked, letting the issue go. Taewoon would tell him when he was ready. After all, he knew that things like that stayed strictly between brothers.

“Don’t eat everything this time.”

“When do I ever?”

“Always.”

“You’re the one that ate my chicken last time.”

“Dammit, just let it go already!”

“Nope, don’t think I will.”