FOUR

Violinist

...continuing from Onew's point of view...

~*LATER*~

          A week and a half later and the same violinist is having problems. Every practice day something happens. We’ve never played through a single time where she was on par. One day I came early and just waited around a corner so no one would notice me and she was one of the first people here. She was quick to set up and start warming up. She played through the song three times perfectly! I even remember that day I snuck in to watch them and I recall seeing her and she was amazing.

So why does she mess up when I’m around? Does she not like me? Does she disagree with me being the singer of this song?

Once practice was over I made a mad dash for the restroom yet again.

Hello bathroom, it’s been a few days. I see you still don’t smell wonderful, but at least you don’t smell terrible today. Are you feeling better, perhaps?

Once again I wait a bit before exiting. I always walk by the practice room again just to see if maybe that violinist is practicing perfectly again or maybe even mumbling to herself. She always seems to be the last one out, taking her time.

As I near the room I hear voices in the hallway. I stop before they can notice me. Me, SHINee’s leader Onew, snooping? No, of course not! I’m merely… Investigating and making sure my orchestra is well. That’s what a leader does.

          “Dear, this last week has been no good for you. You were a top choice for this project because of your skills and beautiful playing ability. But lately…” Ah, the director must be talking to that one violinist.

          “Are you saying… I’ll be kicked out?” She sounds so surprised.

“I’m afraid so. But I am willing to give you another week to prove you are capable and able to stay on board. You need to get back in the game. If you can’t improve, return to your original ability, though… You will have to go.” Footsteps tell me he’s left and now it’s just the two of us.

I have an urge to go to her and tell her it’s ok, to rub her back and let her know that this is just a moment and it won’t last forever. I want to take her in my arms and just hold her. She’s mine, afterall. I need to take care of her.

But before I can even move, I hear her speaking quietly to herself.

“Ohh, this is so lame…” A sniffle tells me she was crying. The urge to hold her grows stronger. “I just need to practice more.”

I can hear her enter the practice room once more so I get closer to the door but stay hidden. I may want to just hug her close but I am also curious about her plan. I don’t want to startle her, either. That wouldn’t be very fun. She doesn’t need to know I was just eavesdropping (even if it was for the better!).

“SHINee concerts, here I come! Fighting!”

So maybe it’s not me that’s the cause of her mistakes. A smile works its way onto my face as I sit down and listen to her play the violin. There must be something else. If I can figure it out, maybe then I can really help her.

~*A FEW DAYS LATER*~

Every day after practice she’s here. After hiding out in the bathroom I always stop by the door and just listen to her. The cleaning lady knows me now and doesn’t bother to tell me to move anymore: she was originally telling me to leave but after I told her who I was and what I was doing, she smiled and told me I could stay. She’s very nice and I just can’t help but give her a hug sometimes! What a wonderful ahjumma!

She then gave me some interesting information. The violinist not only stays after practice, but she comes here on days there are no practices just to play by herself. Now that’s some dedication! I can appreciate that, since it’s a good leader quality.

I decided to come one day there was no practice to see if perhaps I’d be able to listen to her some more. She’s truly amazing. My dongsaengs tagged along, curious about my addiction whenever they would ask about my solo practices. It was quiet inside the tall building. That may be due to the many levels and a majority of sound proof doors, though. I headed towards my room, my four boys following behind.

Along the way we passed the cleaning lady. I bowed to her and my band mates did the same, giving her bright smiles. She nodded in return and gave me a wink. She must be here!

My footsteps got a little quicker until I finally reached that room. I took a quick peek inside through the window pane and there she was, standing directly in the middle without notes, her eyes closed, her ebony hair shaggy around her face, and her fingers moving swiftly. I can’t recognize the song so she must be working on something else.

Jealousy briefly enters my mind, but only for a moment. After all she is my violinist currently. She should only be working on my solo song and no one else’s. But that would be bad and I’m sure she tires of hearing the same song over and over. Her slim fingers probably cramp after doing the same motions repeatedly. Playing other songs is good.

The rest of SHINee pushes me aside to peek inside as well. I remind them to be quiet please, so we don’t disturb her.

“Wow, hyung, she’s amazing!” Taemin exclaims. “This song requires a piano accompaniment, though. I’d love to play with her!”

“Her hair is so silky! I wonder what brand of shampoo she uses. Maybe she uses oils? And her clothes; they look like she threw them on but they coordinate so well.” As usual, Key fuses over appearances.

“She’s a little on the tall side, but she’s quite pretty. Her fingers are really long, too. I bet she could play the guitar really well. Since she knows violin and music notes, it wouldn’t be hard to teach her.” Typical Jonghyun.

Minho eyes her, watching her silently, a small smile on his lips. He’s silent, quietly humming along, catching the notes quickly.

Just as quickly as it left, jealousy comes back to me. Quickly pushing it aside, I wonder why it even came back. They’re mine just as much as she is now, so I should be happy that they like her.

Suddenly someone approaches us. We step aside as we realize it’s a delivery boy: she must have ordered lunch. Mmmm chicken ramyun….

He doesn’t even give us a second glance as he knocks before entering, giving her a quick but polite bow. She smiles warmly at him, probably happy to have something to eat. She pays him and he’s out the door, passing by us.

We all manage to look through the window as she sets her violin aside and pulls her hair back into a messy bun. She grabs the provided wooden chopsticks and pulls them apart, getting ready to eat when they fall to the floor.

I quirk an eyebrow. Surely she knows how to eat with chopsticks. She’s native here.

The violinist sighs exasperatedly as she starts to rub her fingers.

“Ahh, I see,” Jonghyun mumbles.

“What? What do you see?” Key exclaims, needing to know right now obviously.

Jonghyun quickly gives us all alook before turning to watch her again as she tries to hold the chopsticks once more. “She’s been playing too much lately. Her fingertips hurt. It happens with stringed instruments sometimes.”

“I thought you got calluses?” The maknae asks, curious.

“You do over time, but even if you’ve been playing the instrument for years and have strong calluses, if you suddenly start to play too much at once, it can still hurt you.” Puppy eyes are turned toward me and a shiver runs down my spine because of them. “She’s practicing too much. I’m surprised she isn’t bleeding.”

I’m not helping her at all.

~*ONE DAY BEFORE THE “WEEK LATER” IS OVER*~

          I’m beginning to wonder if maybe the only way to help the violinist is to leave. She’s been bringing in a MP3 player and plugging in when we practice so she can’t listen to me. She faces a window and keeps her eyes closed so she doesn’t have to look at me. She still chooses to sit so she… doesn’t get tired, I think.

          But she’s been improving. She sounds wonderful again, no mistakes. We’ve been playing through practices without a hitch and it’s just been so wonderful and I feel ecstatic about it! Even though I still have a feeling I’m the cause of her distraughtness, and I feel terrible about her fingers.

          Aish, the pains of being a leader. I haven’t been able to figure her out at all, so any chances of helping her are disappearing. But maybe… Maybe after practice, instead of just listening to her, I should…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where have I been? I've been brain dead I think LOL Working some double shifts and not wanting to type at all. SORRY!

BUT! I'm making up for it today! :) I'll be posting more then just this! I'm thinking.... maybe 2 more chapters? :) That should make up for my lamely excused leave of absence LOL Also I'm taking a break from college, so I've just got work now >ㅂ< I love this feeling of freedom!! And my double shifts were just for a bit since someone needed to go somewhere, so It's back to my usual schedule! YAY!

Again, don't be afraid to tell me the truth about this. It's a learning curve for me LOL I don't usually share stories so it's nice to know what's working and what isn't it XD If this one keeps going smoothly, I have some more fics I'd love to share!!! XD Especially the heart one.... ㅎㅂㅎ

Wah subscribers! I love the feeling :3 I finally understand why writers are so excited when someone subscribes to their story. It's a nice feeling....

@missterious-You scared me! LOL Actually the style and PoV change was totally accidental and it just kinda happened without me really thinking about it but I decided to jsut go with it... Can't go wrong, really... XD I'm learning from it all....

@tenshiXhanari- I'm so glad you like it! I hope you continue to enjoy reading it as I figure things out :)