Chapter Seven

Against All Odds

CHAPTER SEVEN

 

Instead of going straight home, Jaebum decides to go to Kim Foods first. ‘I’m sure they’re trying to scare me. That woman!’

He checks his watch, ‘Ten o’clock...’ “I don’t give a damn if it’s late!” He marches at the building’s entrance but the security guard stops him.

“Sorry, Sir, but the building’s closed since today’s not a working day. Please come back on Monday.”

“I need to see someone.” ‘I’m sure she’s hiding there.’

Another guard butts in, “Hey, aren’t you the same guy from last time? Mr. Tuan already ordered us to keep you from entering this place so get lost!”

“Is this how you treat visitors?” Jaebum lightly pushes the rude guard. The latter tries to punch him but stops when he hears a familiar voice.

“What is this commotion all about?”

Everyone turn to the direction of the voice and Jaebum recognizes the man. “Oh, perfect timing... Is that woman here?”

“May I ask what you need from my fiancée?”

“Fiancée? You two are really meant to be, you’re both horrible persons...”

“Stay away from Jina or—“

“What, you’re going to have my son kidnapped? You already did!”

Mark looks at the other male disbelievingly. “Excuse me?”

Jaebum walks towards the red-haired man. “Where is my son? If you don’t give him back, I’ll call the cops.”

“Go ahead.” Mark smirks at him. “Go and make false accusations. Let’s see who gets laughed at in the end...”

Reaching his limit, Jaebum grabs Mark’s collar, “If something happens to my son, know that you’ll be the first one I’d hunt down.” He pushes Mark away leaving the latter flabbergasted

-------------------------------------------------------

At around nine in the evening, Bambam woke up to the sound of a car engine outside their house. He ran outside thinking it’s his father. Instead, a tall strange man dressed in a suit greeted him.

“Are you Bambam? Your father sent me here. He asked me fetch you,” the man offers his hand to the child but the latter backs away.

“He’s waiting for you at the nearby park. It’s not that far...”

Bambam looks at the man for reassurance. The latter smiles at him and the child takes his hand.

 

When they arrived at the designated place, the man tells the child, “Mr. Im must be running a little late. Please just wait here. Oh, and this... is for him. Please give it to him.” The man in black suit hands a small envelope to Bambam.

“I’ll get going then...” The man lightly pinched the child’s cheek then left.

Bambam follows the car with his eyes until he could no longer see it. ‘Where is Daddy...?’

 

The child stays there for two hours before someone finally arrives.

“Bambam?”

He looks up and locks eyes with a man. The moment he’s sure that it’s really his father, he finally cries and runs to his father’s arms.

“Are you okay? Are you hurt?” The older male asks. The child just shakes his head and hands him the envelope. “What is this?”

He opens it and finds a printed note inside:

“If you don’t want him to disappear again, stop bothering us.”

‘Kim Foods...’

-------------------------------------------------------

After his encounter with Jaebum, Mark calls Jina.

“Mark? What is it?”

“Are you okay?”

“What? You’re calling me this late to ask me that?”

“Uh... Well, I saw that man again...”

“Oh, the rude cheesecake man? What happened?”

“It’s nothing to worry about but please be careful. He’s definitely someone we can’t trust.”

“Okay.”

“Please do take care of yourself, Jina. You know how much you mean to me.”

“Okay... Take care as well.”

 

Jina ends the call and stares at her phone. ‘The hell was that? Is he making things up or what?’

Whenever Mark acts nice towards her, she feels uneasy. She’s not used to the kind of attention Mark is giving her. Somehow, she feels like he’s trying to break down her walls. Jina usually puts up a brave front but it seems Mark could see right through her – that he knows she can be weak too.

‘What are you doing to me, Mark Tuan...?

-------------------------------------------------------

By the living room, Jackie anxiously waits for Jaebum. ‘I hope he finds Bambam...’

Her thoughts are interrupted by a knock. “Jackie?”

The woman opens the door quickly and finds Jaebum carrying his son, who is now sound asleep in his arms.

“Found him at the park. He was alone...”

“What’s this?” Jackie takes the note and reads it. “Are you in bad terms with anyone?”

“None that I know of...” Jaebum doesn’t intend to tell Jackie about Kim Foods. He won’t unless he’s sure it’s Kim Jina’s doing. “Anyway, you can stay here if you want. It’s late.”

“Ah, no... I don’t leave far from here. I can manage.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. Goodnight and ‘bye.”

“Bye.”

-------------------------------------------------------

“So how did it go? Did we scare the out of him?”

“I’m not really sure... A little, probably...”

“Don’t worry, honey, this is just the beginning.”

“I look forward to more of this... But let’s leave the kid alone. I pity that child...”

“Well, if you say so. Anyway, you should get some sleep. You did well today.”

“Really? You did well, too.”

“I know. We definitely work well together.”

“Yes. I’ll go ahead and sleep, then... Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

-------------------------------------------------------

Before Jaebum went to sleep that night, he ponders on whether he should believe Mark. ‘Well... He did look like he’s telling the truth...’

He looks to his right and looks at Bambam who’s sleeping soundly beside him. “I’m sorry... I’ve been a bad father to you. I promise I won’t let anything like this happen again...”

As if he heard his father, Bambam snuggles closer to his father, making the latter smile. “I’ll protect you. I promise...”

As much as he wanted to confront Kim Jina about the incident, Jaebum knows that it’s best to just steer clear away from her. Regardless if it’s Kim Foods’s doing or not, just like what the note said, he should stop bothering them. ‘This is the only way to keep my son safe...’

 

 

 

Ah. I enjoy updating this I haven't been  writing my oneshots. How are you guys~? How are you liking the story so far? ^^ Please do leave a comment, I don't bite :) hahaha

Oh and in case you want to be friends and you'd like to chat or spazz together, feel free to follow me on Twitter (@hangarianne). I'd follow back :)