Chapter Fourteen

Against All Odds

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

 

“Im Jae—“

Jina stops on her tracks when a woman approaches Jaebum. The latter had left his phone in her office and instead of asking her secretary to return it for her, Jina elected herself to do it.

She watches as the woman talks with Jaebum with enthusiasm. ‘An acquaintance?’

When Jaebum started walking fast, leaving the brown-haired woman behind, Jina thought this could be chance to run after him. However, the other woman also starts running after Jaebum and clings to his arm, as if trying to calm him as he pretends to be angry at her. ‘Oh…’

“So you’ve decided to leave your room, hmm? While you’re out, why don’t we get some coffee or snacks?” a familiar voice asks.

Jina turns around to find Mark smiling at her. ‘Oh no! Did he notice?’

“I… ah, sure!” she answers then starts heading towards a nearby café they usually visit.

Mark, on the other hand, stares at the disappearing image of Jackie and Jaebum. ‘What was he doing here? Did he and Jina secretly meet again here? In our office? Wow.’

His thoughts were interrupted when he felt his fiancée tugging him by the arm. He wanted to scold her but upon seeing her making a cute begging face, Mark decided not to.

“Let’s go~?”

“Okay.” ‘I’ll deal with him later.’

-------------------------------------------------------

Jaebum finally got Jackie to leave him alone when they got back at his place. He lied and told her that he had to work on a report that his boss had asked him to prepare and present at the division heads’ meeting.

“Finally!” he sighs. While he does feel bad that he had lied to his late wife’s best friend, he tells himself that what he had said was actually true, only that he’s already finished working on it.

 

“Oh… So you have a new love interest, hmm? …I’ve never seen you this… flustered before. Are you in love?”

Jackie’s words lingered in his mind. Not that he’s in love with anyone yet but back then, he has never given such a thought. In fact, whenever someone asked him if he had a new girlfriend, he’d always tell them that he’ll never fall in love again – that Jinyoung will forever be his one and only.

“Jinyoung… I don’t know… I’m sorry. You can hear me, right? Can you give me a sign or something? Help me with this, please.” Jaebum utters as if his late wife were in front of him.

He feels bothered and somewhat guilty that today, when he got asked if he were in love with anyone, he actually welcomed the thought.

To him, falling in love became an option again, a choice. ‘Am I finally moving on?’

-------------------------------------------------------

“Raymond, I didn’t expect to get a call from you!”

“Well, Dorine and I would just like to update you on the wedding preparations.”

“Oh, yes. I’m so sorry I haven’t been of much help to you.”

“It’s okay, we know you’re busy running the company.”

“Yeah, Mark needs to take the helm soon. Jina isn’t really doing well.”

“Oh, come on, don’t say that!” Dorine butts in. “She’s a lovely girl and I think she works hard.”

“Am I on loudspeaker?” Heechul fakes a laugh. “You know I was just kidding, Dorine!”

The couple laughs as well. “Anyway, Dorine and I picked a design for Jina’s wedding dress. We hope you don’t mind.”

“Ah, no. Thank you, actually.”

“Great! Let’s meet up some time, shall we?”

“Sure.”

 

After ending the call, Heechul turns to his secretary and takes the folder. “What is this?”

“Mr. Mark Tuan wanted you to see this.”

“Thank you.”

As soon as his secretary left, Heechul wastes no time and checks the documents. What it contained just tells him that Kim Foods might be in for more scandals.

‘Jung Taekwoon… To think that I initially considered you over Mark…’

-------------------------------------------------------

Jina calls Mark’s office but no one answers. She tries again but this time, the call is picked up by his secretary, Kim Seokjin.

“Hello. Is Mark out?”

“Yes, Ma’am. He met with someone…” Seokjin tells her.

“I suppose not a girl, hmm?” Jina jokingly asks, sensing the other’s reluctance to tell her about Mark’s whereabouts.

“Actually, Ma’am… Yes.”

She raises her eyebrows, amazed that she got it right. “I see.”

“She’s probably just an acquaintance. Or maybe a childhood friend? No need to worry, Ma’am.”

‘Actually, it’s good if he dates someone else…’ Jina wanted to tell him. “That’s good. Anyway, thank you, Seokjin.”

“See? He has a female friend so there’s nothing wrong with me making friends with a man. Besides, I don’t even like either of them,” Jina tells herself after the call.

She then recalls what her best friend, Han Sora, used to tell her when they were in high school.

“Kim Jina, there’s no friendship between a boy and a girl. At first, you think you’re just real good friends then one day, one of you will wake up and realize that you’ve fallen for the other.”

‘I’m sure that won’t happen wto me.’

-------------------------------------------------------

“He did what?!”

Taekwoon walks towards his door but Jongwoon stops him. “Sir, now is not the right time.”

“Then when? Mark is trying to ruin my image, my career! And you want me leave it like that for now?”

“We need proof that Mr. Tuan fabricated everything; that he is setting you up.”

“Who is setting up who?” A stern voice speaks from the other side of the door. Taekwoon opens it and finds the Chairman of Kim Foods standing outside.

He bows and greets him, “Chairman Kim.”

Jongwoon bows as well before leaving, giving the two some privacy.

 

“Can you explain what this means?” Heechul hands a folder to the other male who quickly scans its contents.

”These are all false, Sir.”

“False?” He asks, his voice full of anger. “I trusted you, Jung Taekwoon. Do you even know I actually considered having you marry my daughter?”

“L-let me prove myself to you, Chairman. These are all just words… just writings! Let me prove to you that this is fabricated.”

“Better get back fast or say goodbye to your job, Taekwoon.”

The young man makes a fist with his hands as he bowed to his superior.  “I will, Sir.”

Mark Tuan… you asked for it…’

 

 

Sorry for the late update, readernims! I was busy preparing and spazzing over GOT7's fanmeeting the past week so I couldn't concentrate on my fanfics. Heehee. But I'm back! :) This is a very short update so I'll post the next chapter asap ^^ Thank you to my story's new (and of course the existing) subscribers :* I hope you're enjoying the story so far :) /hugs/