Chapter Twenty Five

Against All Odds

A/N: As promised, here's another update ^^ This is my other favorite chapter and I'm curious as to what you think about this one. Please leave me comments below~ :)

P.S. Please don't kill me *hides*

-------------------------------------------------------

 

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

 

‘How did they find out about the kidnapping and the murder? I made sure I injected that poison in Youngjae’s bloodstream the last time I visited him so there is no way he would’ve survived to tell the truth about me framing him up for the kidnapping. And I’m sure the syringe I used had no fingerprints and was planted on the pocket of one of the prisoners. What? Did Seokjin turn me in, too? That moron! I paid him millions and he still opened his mouth to reveal the truth! And those stupid policemen are nothing but users! I paid them to do a simple job! I should’ve killed them as well…’

Mark slumps on his swivel chair. He rubs his temples in an effort to ease the headache he is having.

 

It’s been three days since he fled from the police and he doesn’t even need to check the news to know that they are on a manhunt now.

“Jackie…” He caresses a photo of his lover who, until now, has not shown herself. ‘’Was she arrested, too?’

He eyes his phone contemplating whether to make a quick call to her but decides otherwise. He knows one mistake would lead to the discovery of his secret lair. ‘And I don’t even know if I can still trust her…’

“How could you do this to me?!” He throws the first thing he could get his hands on: a small picture frame bearing his and Jackie’s photo.

“All my life… I tried to get revenge… to achieve power, status… This is not happening! This must be a dream!”

Mark stands and starts pacing around the room while clutching his head. “No… I can’t get arrested… Living in a prison would just remind me of the hard times… my life before Mom and Dad adopted me...”

The man looks out the window and notices a thick rope outside. He sprints for it and takes it back inside his makeshift study. He runs his fingers along it and glances up the ceiling saying, “This can hold me…”

 

Mark places a sturdy chair on the floor and secures the rope on the ceiling. He positions himself a few inches from the rope and whispers, “I’d rather die alone like this than die in that filthy prison with hundreds and thousands of useless people…”

...

...

...

“MARK!”

He turns to the door and before he could react, Jackie dashes to his direction and pushes him. He falls from the chair he was standing on and lands hard on the floor.

“What do you think you’re doing?” His girlfriend asks him, tears flowing out of her eyes.

She tries to hug him but he pushes her away. “Don’t act like you care.”

“What are you saying?”

Mark rises and turns his back at Jackie. “Please leave.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“I don’t need you. Go hide somewhere else.”

“Why are you like this, Mark?!”

The man turns to her, yelling. “Why am I like this, huh?! You betrayed me, Jackie! You promised to stick by my side and this is what you do?”

Seeing her boyfriend breaking down crushed her heart. Jackie tries to move closer to Mark but he shouts at her. “Don’t touch me!”

“Mark, listen to me. I did this for you… Each day, you slowly turned into someone frightening… you were changing, Mark… I was willing to help you but I didn’t want to lose the Mark I fell in love with. You’ve already got a twisted life and I didn’t want to see you make it worse. Mark, we need to stop… This is all getting out of hand…”

“No!” He takes out a pistol out of his pocket and points it at Jackie. “Don’t come closer or I will shoot!”

“Mark…” With each step Jackie took, Mark took two steps backward until his back touches the wall.

“Don’t come near me…”

“If killing me will make you feel better, go ahead and do it. End my misery. I don’t want to see you like this. I can’t—“

The sound of the revolver dropping on the floor hits her ears and before Jackie knew it, Mark’s lips are on hers.

He cups her face as he deepens the kiss. They stay like this until they’re both out of breath.

Mark locks eyes with Jackie, “Let’s go somewhere far.”

The woman nods. “As long as it’s with you, I don’t mind… I’ll go with you even to the ends of the world.”

-------------------------------------------------------

Packing only necessities, the couple starts their journey, riding an SUV registered under a fake name.

Three hours into the drive, Mark stops the car at the side of the wide road. They are at a highway overlooking a wide expanse of water. He turns to his sleeping lover and caresses her face. “I’m sorry…”

Locking his eyes at the barrier, Mark revs the engine. To his surprise, Jackie holds his hand and tells him with her eyes still closed, “I’m with you… Always.”

“Open your eyes. We are now going somewhere far. Just you and me.”

The woman smiles at her boyfriend.

“Ready?”

“Ready.”

“Let’s meet again in our next lives, Jackie.”

Mark speeds off and crashes the car at the barrier then into the water. He takes Jackie’s hand into his and they gaze at each other.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

They don’t struggle and remained fixed on each other’s faces, taking in the sight of their loved one ‘til their last breath.

Bubble after bubble appeared as air left their lungs and water filled them. Then everything turned to black.

-------------------------------------------------------

The same day, the couple’s bodies were recovered and brought back to their families.

Fulfilling their son’s wish, Raymond and Dorine had Mark’s body cremated along with Jackie’s.

For the next few days, the Tuan and Wang families hold a wake and everyone – relatives, co-workers and friends – came to offer their condolences.

After the wake, the urn containing the couple’s ashes are placed at a small mausoleum commissioned by the Tuan’s. Outside, it read: “In loving memory of our wonderful son, Mark, and his loving partner, Jackie. We hope you are in a better place now.”

-------------------------------------------------------

“Ma’am, I’m really sorry. I understand that this is not the right time but we need someone to fill in for the positions of the Chairman and the late Mr. Mark Tuan. We will lose a lot of deals if we don’t do anything.”

Jina stares blankly into space, infuriating one of the senior advisors of Kim Foods. He slams his hand on the table, making the woman turn, “Are you with us, Miss Kim?”

“Y-yes. I’m sorry…”

“We understand that this is too much for you to take but we highly recommend that you fill in for both positions. We do not have time to hire someone else for the job and no one from within the organization is willing to take over. Mr. Tuan withheld a lot of information and the other executives are afraid that one mistake might negatively affect the organization. Please consider our proposal, Ma’am. You can enlist the help of anyone whom you think can assist you in your new responsibilities. We will respect your decision.”

“I will let you know, Sirs. I need time to think about our next move.”

“Thank you.” The old men bow and exit the conference room, leaving Jina behind.

‘What should I do…’