Chapter Six

Against All Odds

CHAPTER SIX

 

“Honey, don’t you think it’s too early to have them get married?”

“Not really. And it’s what our son wants. Plus, Jina’s dad, Heechul, is okay with it, so what are you worried about?” Raymond asks his wife.

“Well…” Dorine hesitates but continues anyway, “I feel like it’s still important that they fall in love first. I mean… maybe Mark likes Jina and that’s a good sign. But Jina… I think she doesn’t want this; that she’s just going along with what her father wants, with what we want for them. How is their relationship going to work if there’s no love? It can’t be just all about business and wealth, Raymond…”

Mark’s father caresses his wife’s arm, “I know… I understand. That’s why we’re having it by the end of the year. That’s enough time for them to get to know each other even better. We can send them on trips together or have them spend more time together… Don’t worry, my dear. Didn’t we go through the same situation?”

“I guess you’re right…” Dorine rests her head on her husband’s shoulder as they look out their balcony.

As a mother, she only wants the best for Mark. As much as she wants him to be happy with the woman he loves, Dorine could not help but worry about Jina. She knows the latter is keeping a lot to herself and she’s concerned of how this might affect Jina’s relationship with Mark.

‘I’m really hoping everything will go well between them...’

-------------------------------------------------------

“Mr. Kim, I’m so glad to see you! Please take a seat!”

“No need to be so formal with me. In less than a year, you’ll be my son-in-law. If it’s just us, you can go ahead and call me ‘Father’ or ‘Dad’.”

Mark chuckles then smiles at his soon-to-be father-in-law “Yes… Dad.”

Heechul smiles back at the younger male. ‘I really think I made the right choice…’

 

Heechul has always favored Mark over the company’s other senior officers. The latter has been a consistent achiever and by now, he’s brought so much to the company compared to what his peers have done.

Due to the younger male’s exceptional abilities, he’s already achieved a lot at a young age. Because of this, Mark was able to catch the eyes of Jina’s father, the Chairman of Kim Foods Industries, Inc.

 

“Mark, you see, your parents and I are worried that you and Jina still have a lot to discover about each other. With your hectic schedules, you don’t even get to bond and spend time together. So we’re thinking, why don’t you take some time off your jobs and go on a trip?”

A wide smile forms on the young man’s lips, “I was just thinking of the same thing!”

Seeing how excited Mark was, Heechul smiles as well, “That’s good! Know that you have our blessing on this, okay?”

“Yes, Father. Thank you so much!”

-------------------------------------------------------

“Auntie Jackie, is Daddy mad at me?”

The brown-haired woman bends down in front of Bambam, “What makes you say that, hmm?”

“I don’t see Daddy as often as before…” the kid answers frowning.

Sensing that Bambam’s about to cry, Jackie hugs the child and reassures him, “Daddy Bbom is just busy with work, okay? Daddy has to work so he can give you what you need, what you want…”

“But…” With the child’s face by her neck, Jackie feels the warm stream of tears flowing out of Bambam’s eyes.

She hugs him tighter and tells him, “Daddy told me that he’ll make it up to you when he’s no longer busy with work. He said he’ll take you out for snacks. You like pizza and ice cream, right? They’re your favorite, right?”

Jackie caresses Bambam’s cheek then wipes his tears away in an effort to make the latter feel better. “Daddy Bbom loves you. Remember that, okay?”

“…Okay…” Bambam answers as he wipes his nose on his shirt.

“Good! Then let’s get you changed! Aww~~ you just wiped your snot on your Spongebob shirt!”

-------------------------------------------------------

Jaebum looks at his watch; it’s already nine in the evening. ‘Bambam’s probably sleeping already…’

He tries to call their home phone but no one answers. He assumes Jackie’s already asleep, too, possibly too tired after watching over his son.

Jaebum lets a long sigh as he thinks of all the work he has to do. He’s barely talked and played with his son for the past two weeks and he knows the child’s already feeling lonely without him. As a father, it breaks his heart seeing his precious son like this. ‘I’m so sorry, my son…’

 

His thoughts are interrupted when his boss, Jungsoo, who’s already packed and ready to go home, tells him, “I’m really sorry to have to ask you to work this late but we really need to finish our reports ASAP. Don’t worry, once all is done, I’d let you take a day or two off.”

Jaebum just smiles and bows to his superior.

“Then, I’ll go ahead…”

Once Jungsoo has left, Jaebum resumes his work chanting to himself that he’s going to finish everything tonight.

-------------------------------------------------------

“Hello, Kyu?”

“Oh, hi. What is it?”

“I know it’s a little late but can we meet up please? I have a favor to ask…”

“Oh… Alright, let’s just meet where we usually do.”

“Okay, I’ll see you, then.”

‘What’s wrong this time?’

-------------------------------------------------------

~ringgggggg... ringggg~

“Hello?”

“Jaebum? This is Jackie!”

“What’s wrong?” Jaebum could hear the woman on the line panic.

“Bambam is missing!”

“He’s what?!”

“We fell asleep and when I woke up, he’s no longer beside me...”

“I’ll go home immediately. Wait for me!”

Jaebum didn’t even bother to clear his desk and just left the office in a dash.

‘Please... please keep my son safe...

-------------------------------------------------------

Youngjae paces around his room. ‘What should I do… what should I do…’

He’s heard about the incident at Kim Jina’s office and he knows that sooner or later, he’ll be summoned by her boss for questioning.

But what is he to tell? That he accepted a recipe from a random woman? Even if it’s the truth, he knows that he’d still be in big trouble.

He calls one Kim Foods’ executives, with whom he is good friends with.

“H-hello?”

“Oh, Youngjae…”

“You see… I know I really owe you this job and you specifically told me not to do anything stupid but I…”

“Screwed up?”

‘He knows!’ Youngjae apologizes and bows even if the other person on the line couldn’t see him. “I’m so sorry… Sorry, Sir…”

“Whatever it was that you did, it’s okay. Don’t worry. I gave you that job and it’s yours for as long as you want to keep it.”

“Y-you don’t understand… This—“

“Look, Youngjae…  I really have to go, I’m a little busy. Don’t worry too much. Don’t underestimate your friend’s influence, okay? Trust me.”

“O-okay…”

‘But I really hope I won’t be in big trouble… That guy should really stop bothering Kim Foods…’

 

-------------------------------------------------------

New characters! Are you liking the story so far? :) Feel free to share your thoughts below~