Chapter Two

Against All Odds

CHAPTER TWO

 

Despite the anger that has built up ever since he was forced out of Kim Foods Industries’ building, Jaebum tries his best to quietly enter his house, not wanting to wake his son up.

“Oh, you’re home,” Jackie, his wife’s bestfriend, greets. He had asked her to look after his son while he’s out.

“I’m so sorry it took me long. Thank you so much for watching over Bambam,” he answers, faking a smile.

“Oh, it’s okay. You can always count on me on this. You know how much I am indebted to you and Jinyoung…”

At the mention of his late wife, Jaebum feels even more exhausted and sad that he could not protect one of the few memories she has left him with.

 

-FLASHBACK-

“Honey, what are you making?” Jaebum gives his wife a back hug as he watches her stir a bowl of blueberries, sugar and butter.

“It’s a secret~”

“Will you give some to me?”

Jinyoung faces her husband and pinches his nose, “Only if you behave~”

“Yes, Ma’am!” Jaebum answers before placing a soft kiss on his wife’s plump lips.

 

The whole time Jinyoung’s preparing the blueberry cheesecake, Jaebum watched her intently. He ponders on how lucky he was to have met a woman like his wife – loving, sweet and very kind.

I must have done something really good and big in my past life,’ he tells himself.

-------------------------------------------------------

“Tada~!”

Jaebum gawks at his wife’s creation. Her blueberry cheesecake looked absolutely good and he knew that it would taste wonderful.

True enough, when Jinyoung gives him a spoonful, he could not hide his delight. The sweet buttery taste of the crust made from crushed grahams mixed well with the sour cream and blueberries.

“So, how is it???” Jinyoung asks her husband, who, to her surprise, kisses then hugs her.

“It’s the best!”

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

“Jaebum?”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Were you thinking of Jinyoung?”

Jaebum nods, faking another smile.

“You know… Kim Foods, through Wibeik, recently launched a blueberry cheesecake. I don’t know… It tastes… very familiar – like I’ve already eaten the same cake before. Have you tried it yet?”

At the mention of Kim Foods, the man felt his anger build up once again.

“No, and I won’t.”

“Why? Now that I mentioned it… It kind of tasted like the ones Jinyoung used to bake.”

That pulled the last straw; Jaebum could no longer take it. He tries his best to politely ask Jackie to leave to which the latter agreed.

“Oh, yes. I’m sorry. I’ll take my leave, then. Stay strong. Bye, Jae.”

-------------------------------------------------------

As soon as Jackie left, Jaebum went to his room. He sits at the edge of the bed that he used to share with his lovely wife.

He replays the conversation that he had with Kim Jina, the Product Head of Kim Foods Industries, Inc.

“…People try to rip us off. So, how much do you want? I can write you a cheque now if you want me to… Mister Scammer…”

‘They steal my wife’s recipe then call me a scammer?!’ he exclaims in his head then punches his bedside table. It should be painful but he doesn’t feel anything for he was too angry.

 

Jaebum has always hated people who take credit for something they shouldn’t. Back when Jinyoung’s still alive, a friend of hers stole her idea and made huge profits out of it.

Being the kind woman that she was, Jinyoung never told anyone that the recipe was hers. She allowed someone else to take credit for her work though she did feel sad about how things turned out.

Jinyoung worked day and night for that recipe. She sacrificed a lot of her time to come up with it but all her efforts were wasted after Maria stole the recipe from her.

Jaebum wanted to help his wife expose the truth to the public but Jinyoung stopped him. He could only comfort his wife and watch. While Jinyoung was able to accept it, Jaebum vowed never to let anything like it to happen again. ‘So I won’t just sit and watch now... I’ll do everything for my wife...’

 

“Daddy…?” He barely noticed that his son is now standing by the door. The child sleepily walks towards his father. Upon reaching him, Bambam raises his arms, a sign for his father to lift him. Jaebum does so and places his son on his lap.

“Did Daddy wake you up? Or did you have a nightmare?”

Bambam shakes his head. “Does it hurt?” He asks, pointing to his father’s hand. It turned a little red after he punched the side table earlier.

When his father does not answer him, he asks again almost crying, “Ouchie? Can Bambam do anything? Daddy hurt because of me?”

Seeing his son like this, Jaebum hugs Bambam and tells him, “No, no… Daddy’s not hurt because of you. In fact, because you’re here, Daddy doesn’t feel any pain in his hand anymore.”

Hearing his father’s response, Bambam’s face lights up and he smiles widely, “Then can we sleep now? I want to sleep beside you, Daddy!”

“Okay,” the other answers with a smile.

 

As Jaebum and his son lay in bed, he thinks of his wife’s last wish before she died.

‘Give our son everything, Jae. Please love him and take good care of him…’

“Yes, I will, Honey… I most certainly will...” he whispers before he falls asleep.

 

That night, he dreamed of Jinyoung. She looked happy to see him but unlike his previous dreams where they’re all lovey-dovey, Jaebum and his wife just talked. They were like friends chatting and catching up.

“How are you, Jae?”

“Hmm? I... I’m good... It’d be better if you’re with me and Bambam...”

Jinyoung chuckles then gazes at him, “Do you miss me that much?”

“Absolutely.”

“I miss you, too. I’d love to meet Bambam.”

“He’d be happy to see you, too.”

“...Jaebummie?”

“Hmm?”

“I want you to know that I love you and Bambam so much.”

“I know that already...” Jaebum tries to hold his late wife’s hand but his hand just goes through hers. “Oh.”

Jinyoung smiles at him, “Don’t worry... You’ll have someone else’s hand to hold soon.”

“What?”

Then Jinyoung disappeared.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

A/N: So how are you liking the story so far? I'm on an update spree right now. LOL. For those who are confused... yes, Jackie here is Jackson. I'm so sorry for making him and Jinyoung females TT^TT Not that I dislike ; I just had to do it for the plot  :)

So far, the chapters are quite short but I think the succeeding chapters will be longer (hopefully!). Tell me your thoughts below and don't forget to upvote / subscribe (it means to much to me - I feel appreciated :"> sorry for sounding desperate, haha )

'Til the next update! <3