Chapter Twenty Three

Against All Odds

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

 

“The subscriber cannot be reached. Please try again and call later.”

 

Jina sighs as she places her phone down. She has been trying to call Jaebum again the whole day but is unable to reach him. Worried, she goes out of her house only to find Mark and her father who are there to fetch her.

“Honey, what do you think about spending the next few days at our house?” Heechul tells his daughter.

“What do you mean, Dad?”

“Come on, we’ll ask someone to pack your things.” Mark takes Jina’s arm and leads her to the car.

“I can’t. No.”

“Jina, please.” Her father tries to remain calm.

“Listen to him, baby.”

 

On their way to the Kim’s residence, Jina finds out about their plan to rush the wedding and make her stay at their old house for the next few days.

They tell her it’s because her father will be sad when she finally marries but she knows that it’s to keep her away from Jaebum.

She tries to call her boyfriend once again but Mark catches her. He takes her phone away saying, “Friends can wait. You can talk to him later, okay? I’ll make sure he attends our wedding.”

-------------------------------------------------------                      

-FLASHBACK-

“Mr. Im, if you don’t stay away… I will have to do something… I know you’re a brave man and you would gladly risk your life just to be with my daughter.”

“That’s how much I love her, Sir.”

“Lovely. But I don’t want an average man like you for a son-in-law. Besides, you’re a widower.”

“I may not be from a wealthy family but I am very capable of providing for Jina.”

“I can see that but I’ve already made my choice and I choose Mark. Please stay away from Jina.”

“I’m sorry, Sir, but I won’t break up with her just because you don’t approve of me.”

“Alright but let me ask you this… Have you ever thought of how this will affect your son?”

“What do you mean?”

“Jaebum, you know exactly what I mean. I know you’re smart and you should know what to do…”

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

Jaebum stares blankly at his bedroom’s ceiling. He wants to run to Jina’s side right now but thinking of how Heechul threatened him about his son’s safety, he doesn’t know what to do anymore. He could easily give up his safety but not his son’s. ‘I need to devise a plan…’

-------------------------------------------------------

After such a long time, Yugyeom finally goes back home and is surprised to see Jina home as well.

“Oh, I didn’t know you were here…”

Heechul explains that he wanted to spend the next few days with his daughter since her wedding with Mark will happen earlier than planned.

“I see… So you’re getting married soon and I still haven’t met this guy…”

“Then it’s good that I’m here,” Mark interrupts.

The two young men exchange pleasantries and Yugyeom tries to keep himself from punching Mark right on the face. ‘Stupid big liar… You’ve got a handsome face but you’ve got such a terrible personality…’

 

Later that night, the boys drank wine and played billiards together.

Heechul is delighted that his favorite son and his son-in-law are getting along well.  Little does he know though that Yugyeom is only after earning Mark’s trust.

‘I need to make sure that I know what he’s up to to make sure our plan pushes through…’

-------------------------------------------------------

The night before the wedding, Jaebum tries to break through the Kim family’s house.

Yugyeom, who had just returned home, finds Jaebum lurking around, trying to find a way in. Initially thinking the latter’s a thief, the former confronts the other male and tries to punch him.

Jaebum, however, is quick to explain himself. “I am Im Jaebum, Jina’s boyfriend. I really need to see her.”

“You say you’re her boyfriend? Tough luck, I’m her brother and I’d help you.”

Jaebum could not believe his ears. “Thank you so much!”

“But on one condition…”

“What?”

“It’s a bit cheesy but please take care of my sister.”

“You didn’t even have to ask me that. That’s what I intend to do for the rest of my life.”

Yugyeom smiles hearing the other man’s words. “Jina chose well. I prefer you over Mark.”

-------------------------------------------------------

“Sir, an unidentified man entered Miss Jina’s room.”

Heechul turns to the head maid. “What did you say?”

“Miss Jina has a visitor inside her room.”

“Is he alone?”

“Yes.”

“How was he able to enter the house?”

“We don’t know either.”

‘Jaebum… You’ve got some nerve…’

-------------------------------------------------------

“Jaebum!” Jina rushes to her boyfriend’s arms. “I was so worried…”

“I’m so sorry… At least I’m here now.” The man tells her before placing a kiss on her lips, lingering for a while.

“Please help me… Dad’s keeping me here until wedding day.”

“And wedding day’s tomorrow so you need to sleep, Jina. And you, Jaebum, should go home while you still can.” Heechul interrupts.

The couple turns to the door and before they could react, the guards rushes to Jaebum and takes him away.

“Jae!” Jina tries to chase her boyfriend but Mark and Heechul grab each of her arms.

“Now, now… If you want him and his son to be safe, be a good girl…”

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

It makes me sad that this is a JBxOC fic because I am reminded of our leadernim's condition. My ultimate bias... Hope he gets well soon T_T

Anyway~ I hope this didn't seem rushed. Please tell me what you think and leave a comment below. Thank you if you're still reading this! ^^