Chapter 8

Playing the Part [hunhan AU]

"Lu... Luhan hyung..." I whisper, my voice cracking.

"Sehun... Please..." he begs. "Please come back..."

I swallow and pull away from him. "I'm sorry..."

I drop my gaze to avoid his infinitely empty eyes and ignore the pounding of my heart as I turn and sit back down.

Gasps can be heard from even a mile away and my face burns as I duck my head.

"He's made his choice," Chanyeol whispers.

"S-Sehun..." Luhan whispers and I feel his hand hesitantly reaching for my shoulder.

"Luhan hyung," Chanyeol's voice is hard but it's soft too. "Let it go..."

When I look over, I can see the pain not only in Luhan's eyes, but also reflected in Chanyeol's. A former lover taking care of the one he used to care for.

Luhan looks over at Chanyeol. When their eyes meet, I expect Luhan to flinch but instead, he nods and backs away, returning to his own group.

"That's a first," Baekhyun comments quietly.

"Baekhyun," Chanyeol snaps and I'm surprised to hear such a sharpness in Chanyeol's voice but the raw pain in his eyes explains it all.

"Yeolie..." Baekhyun whispers. "Let it go..."

Chanyeol swallows and I can see the red his eyes before he ducks his head. He runs a hand through his hair, letting out a sigh.

"I've never seen him like that... Not since... You know..." Chanyeol admits quietly.

"He's playing with me," I say quietly.

"Maybe," Chanyeol admits, closing his eyes and leaning back in his chair, stretching out his long legs.

"Give him a few minutes," Baekhyun whispers, leaning towards me. "He needs some time to heal..."

"Who?" I ask quietly. "Chanyeol?"

"Him," Baekhyun agrees. "And Luhan."

I nod slightly, ducking my head. "I know... Thanks..."

"We can go get bubble tea if Chanyeol isn't back to his normal self by the end of the day," Baekhyun says softly.

I nod absentmindedly. "Okay."

"Junmyeon? Kyungsoo?" Baekhyun asks. "Are you going to join us?"

Kyungsoo shrugs. "Why not... Junmyeon?"

"Might as well," Junmyeon says, stretching out.

"Taemin hyung and Jongin... If you two want to join us later, feel free," Baekhyun says with a grin.

Jongin looks over from where he's watching Taemin play with his hands, flushing. "Uh-Uhm... Y-Yeah sure..."

I chuckle. "Don't worry about it hyung~"

~

I swallow hard when I walk into the cafe... The same one Luhan took me to... The same one Luhan always goes to... Thus it's no surprise that he and his crew are sitting in their usual spot.

"Baekhyun," one of the waitresses greets with a smile.

"Taeyeon noona," Baekhyun replies. "It's nice to see you."

She nods. "You haven't been around lately..."

I watch as he swallows hard. "I've been... Busy..."

"I... I assumed so," she replies, looking down.

"Y-Yes..." he says quietly.

"Your usual spot?" she asks brightly, changing the subject.

He nods, releasing a breath. "Y-Yes, of course."

"The usual?" she asks, guiding us to the booth beside Luhan's and seating us.

He nods. "Please... And choco bubble tea for Sehun, please."

She nods before walking off.

I flush. "You still remember."

"Of course," he answers. "You always got it when we went out... And complained if you didn't get it."

My cheeks get redder. "R-Right..."

"Here comes Kyungsoo and Junmyeon," he announces.

I look up and smile at the two walking in. "Will Chanyeol be coming?"

He nods. "He told me he would."

"Hey, did you two order?" Junmyeon asks.

"Yes hyung," I answer.

He smiles. "Hey Taeyeon noona, two taro bubble teas please."

Taeyeon nods, wiping her hands on her towel. "Of course Junmyeon. Hey Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo smiles. "Hi."

"Chanyeol's here," Junmyeon says quietly, glancing out the window.

Baekhyun swallows. "Let me... Go talk to him..."

As if on cue, Chanyeol stands in the doorway to the cafe, arms crossed. "Baekhyun."

Baekhyun quickly excuses himself and goes out to talk to Chanyeol.

"What's wrong?" I ask quietly.

"Taeyeon is Baekhyun's ex... And Taeyeon and Chanyeol don't really get along when Baekhyun's there..." Kyungsoo says.

"I think Baekhyun misses her... Or he wouldn't keep going back to her," Junmyeon says.

"He goes back to her?" I ask. "What do you mean?"

"He hangs around this cafe a lot to see her... He'll take her out for lunch... Chanyeol doesn't really like that," Junmyeon explains. "And whenever they fight... Baekhyun is always here talking to Taeyeon."

"Does Baekhyun know that it bothers Chanyeol?" I ask softly.

"Chanyeol doesn't like to express his inner feelings," Kyungsoo says quietly. "That's why he always seems happy."

"Chanyeol, that's enough," Junmyeon warns.

Mine and Kyungsoo's attention shoots towards the door where Chanyeol has a firm hold on both of Baekhyun's arms.

Despite Junmyeon's warning, Chanyeol shows no inclination of releasing Baekhyun.

"Chanyeol," Junmyeon repeats. "That's enough."

Still, Chanyeol does nothing.

"Chanyeol hyung," I say, approaching the pair.

"Sehun... Get back," Baekhyun says quietly.

"What? You're protecting Sehun now too?" Chanyeol snaps.

"Chanyeol hyung... Stop..." I say quietly.

"Fine," Chanyeol snaps, shoving Baekhyun towards me with utmost force. "Here you go."

I stumble backwards as Baekhyun comes flying towards me but he's going so fast that I go flying myself, crashing into Luhan's table with Baekhyun practically laying on top of me.

I grunt at the impact of hitting the table, my back tensing.

"Sorry hyungs," I mumble, glancing up at Luhan's table with half-lidded eyes.

"Sehun," Baekhyun grunts. "Thank you."

"Just get off," I grumble, pushing him with what little strength I have left.

He stumbles forwards, standing up and offering me his hand.

I chuckle and roll my eyes, pushing his hand away. "I'll just pull you back down."

He smiles but keeps his hand out anyways. "Try me... You took a hard hit."

I take his hand and he pulls me up, staggering a little bit with my height.

"S-Sehun-ah..." Luhan says quietly.

I whip around to face him but I stumble from the pain in my back.

Immediately, Luhan's hand is on mine, steadying me.

"Thank you," I say quietly.

I'm unaware of when I turn my hand to his, palm to palm, fingers interlacing for a moment.

But only a moment.

And I pull my hand away from his.

"Luhan hyung..." I say quietly. "I'm sorry."

And then I walk away, using Baekhyun's shoulder for support.

"You okay?" Baekhyun asks softly.

I nod. "Just my back... That's all."

"I'll talk to Chanyeol about it... You should get it checked out... I can go with you if you'd like," he offers.

I shake my head. "I'll talk to Chanyeol... You should... Stay away from him for a bit... But not Taeyeon..."

He swallows. "Y-Yes... Thank you..."

I pat his arm before moving away from him... Practically falling onto Chanyeol, grabbing onto him tightly.

"S-Sorry Chanyeol hyung," I say quietly.

He flashes me a bright smile. "It's okay... Sorry... Sorry about your back... I didn't mean it..."

"I didn't think you did," I say quietly. "But... Easy next time, okay?"

He chuckles softly and offers me his arm. "Yes, of course... I'm sorry."

I grunt and rub the bottom of my back with my other hand. "Yeah... It hurts... I'm sure it'll go away soon."

"Taeyeon noona?" Chanyeol asks. "Can I get an ice pack please?"

A moment later, Taeyeon returns with an ice pack.

"Thank you... And nice to see you," Chanyeol says, voice quiet. "I'm sorry and... I want to put things in the past..."

Taeyeon offers him a small smile. "Myself as well... Thank you..."

Chanyeol gives her a smile before glancing at Luhan's table. "Them... They are regulars?"

Taeyeon nods. "Yes... Yes they come here often..."

Chanyeol nods. "Alright, thank you."

She gives him a tight smile before walking off, taking her cue.

"You... You and Baekhyun," I say quietly.

"We're good," Chanyeol answers flatly.

"O-Okay... But..." I start.

"We're good," he repeats. "I'll make it up to him."

Suddenly, the bell at the door rings. All of our heads shoot up to see Taemin and Jongin walk in, hand in hand, smiling at each other.

"Nice of you two to make it... What movie did you watch?" Junmyeon asks, greeting them as they approach us.

However, Jongin's looking down at their joined hands, a soft blush dusting his cheeks and Taemin's eyes are watching Jongin's, a bright smile on his face.

"Lovebirds~" Baekhyun coos. "How was the movie?"

Jongin jumps, startled, practically into Taemin's arms and looks up at us. "O-Oh..."

Junmyeon chuckles, shaking his head. "He's just giving you two a hard time... What movie did you watch?"

"Captain America Civil War," Taemin says with a smile while Jongin flushes, quickly looking down.

"What? Did Jongin get scared?" Kyungsoo teases with a grin.

"N-No!" Jongin stutters out.

Taemin chuckles. "He did and it was adorable."

"T-Taemin hyung!" Jongin exclaims, eyes wide.

Taemin shrugs, grinning. "I'm speaking the truth."

"Wh-What happened to Sehun?" Jongin asks.

"Chanyeolie threw him into Luhan's table," Junmyeon explains with a glare at Chanyeol.

"Are you okay?" Jongin asks. "Does it hurt?"

"I'll be okay," I say with a smile. "Sounds like the movie went well."

"Y-Yeah..." he says. "But with the... Accident... Nothing happened?"

"Like what?" I ask.

"You taking him back?" he suggests.

I narrow my eyes. "Hyung."

He swallows and ducks his head. "Y-Yeah... Sorry... I just thought..."

"You thought wrong," I say flatly. "I'm moving on."

"R-Right..." he says. "I'll... I hope you get better."

And with that, he turns back to Taemin.

"Hyung..." I say quietly, but he doesn't hear me.

I swallow back the hurt but then again, I wasn't very loud.

My phone buzzes.

From Luhan: How's your bubble tea?

To Luhan: it's good, thank you

From Luhan: I'm sorry...

To Luhan: there's nothing to be sorry for

From Luhan: What should we talk about then?

I swallow hard before replying.

To Luhan: there's nothing for us to talk about

The message sends and I put down my phone.

My phone buzzes once, then buzzes again, and then buzzes once more.

I ignore them.

But I glance over to see Luhan looking at me, his forehead creased.

I sigh softly before giving him a small nod and checking my phone.

To my surprise, only one of them is from Luhan.

From Luhan: Okay...

To Luhan: it's okay. but I need time, okay?

From unknown number: Hey, it's Lay... Or Yixing... You know?

From Lay/Yixing: I was wondering if you were feeling okay... After you know...

To Lay/Yixing: yes, thanks, I'm feeling okay... my back is just a bit sore but it'll go away. should I call you Lay or Yixing?

From Lay/Yixing: I meant with Luhan... But anyways, either is fine... Maybe Yixing is more personal though?

To Yixing: everything is fine with Luhan. I just need a break from it all

From Yixing: I understand... Sorry for asking

To Yixing: it's okay... I should talk to my friends so I'll talk to you later, okay?

From Yixing: Aren't I your friend? :(

To Yixing: the friends I'm with right now babo

From Yixing: Okay Sehunnie~ talk to you later

I smile and put down my phone.

"Who's Yixing?" Chanyeol asks, peering over my shoulder.

"L-Lay," I answer.

Jongin's head shoots towards me. "Sehun..." he starts but cuts himself off and turns away.

"Jongin hyung," I say.

He turns back to me. "Do whatever you want," he says and turns away.

I swallow and close my eyes.

To Luhan: are you there?

From Luhan: I'm literally across the room

To Luhan: can I have a hug?

From Luhan: What??

To Luhan: I'm being serious... can I have a hug?

From Luhan: You want one from me??

To Luhan: well... yes...

From Luhan: I... I don't know...

To Luhan: can you come over tonight?

From Luhan: I shouldn't

To Luhan: please

From Luhan: Sehun, what is going on with you?

To Luhan: nothing...

From Luhan: It isn't nothing. You rejected me in front of the entire school, you rejected me in the cafe... But now you want me to come over??

To Luhan: okay sorry. forget I asked

From Luhan: Sort yourself out.

I swallow hard and shut my eyes. I clench my fists and rest my head on the table in my hands.

"Sehun..." a quiet voice says.

"Go away please," I answer quietly.

A hand finds a spot on my shoulder. "Sehun..."

"Please go away," I repeat.

"Sehun... Look at me..." the voice says.

Sighing, I pull my head out of my hands and look up...

To see Luhan.

And his concerned eyes.

And his pink lips.

And his prominent cheekbones.

And his feminine jawline.

"Sehun," he says quietly, offering me his hand.

I've realized that everyone at my table has continued their conversations, leaving me to speak to Luhan with relative privacy.

My eyes meet his for a moment before I look back down at his hand and take it, allowing him to pull me up.

Almost instantly, I fall, the pain in my back causing my legs to buckle. But a millisecond after my legs show the possibility of faltering, Luhan's arms are supporting one of mine, holding me up.

"Lu-Luhan hyung," I whisper.

"Sehun," he answers softly before turning to me and hugging me tightly.

I bury my face against his shoulder, breathing in his smell. My arms wrap around his torso, holding him close.

"I've got you," he whispers. "I've got you..."

I only press my face further in, squeezing him tighter.

"Sehunnie," he murmurs.

His voice cracks and I can feel a wetness on my neck and it's his tears and they're salty and his breaths are ragged and he's hugging me...

He's hugging me.

And everything suddenly feels right.

Every ache and pain in my heart isn't there anymore, that hurting I had has vanished, everything... It's gone now.

"Luhannie," I whisper, lifting my head off his shoulder.

And then I'm crying and then our lips are pressed together and I can taste the saltiness on his lips and I know that I like him... That I really like him.

"Sehunnie," he murmurs, pulling away to look at me with tear-streaked cheeks.

My eyes meet his and I have my own tear-streaked cheeks but it doesn't matter...

"You... You said that my voice made you feel safe," I say quietly.

"Yes," Luhan says.

"And that home is just a room full of your safest sounds," I say.

He nods.

"Your... Your voice also makes me feel safe," I say.

He smiles and a few tears fall from his eyes, rolling down his cheeks.

"I wanna sleep next to you," he whispers. "And that's all I wanna do right now."

"Then come over tonight," I whisper back.

He smiles.