Chapter 2

Playing the Part [hunhan AU]

The sound of footsteps get louder as they approach me before stopping suddenly. I spot a pair of shoes by my bag. I glance up to see Luhan leaning against the locker in front of me once again. I open my mouth to speak but he silences me with a finger on his lips.

Confused, I look up at him expectantly. He motions for me to continue while glancing at my bag. Finally, I understand what he's trying to tell me and I finish packing my bag. I shrug off my jacket and put it in my locker before locking it. I sling my backpack over a shoulder, standing up before looking at Luhan.

"Go out with me," Luhan says.

"W-What?" I ask.

He takes his bottom lip into his mouth, biting it slyly. "Go out with me."

"O-Oh..." I manage to get out, barely able to hide my surprise.

"You're gay, aren't you?" he asks, cocking his head to the side. "I've seen the way you look at Lay and Kai. Kris too... He's taken, by the way."

I don't know what to say. I didn't think it was that obvious that I'm interested in guys... Or Kris... Or Lay... Or Kai...

"So..?" he asks. "Date or not?"

"Uh..." I say. "I've uh... Never dated someone before..."

"I'll treat you well," he says, ignoring my comment. "Just one date, okay? We don't have to go on more if you don't want to."

Slowly, I nod. "Okay... Sure."

He smiles. "Great, you free Friday?"

Mentally, I check my schedule. "Yeah," I say.

He reaches out, fixing the collar of my shirt. "Sounds good. I'll see you after school?"

"Sure," I say, giving him a small smile.

"Great," he says with a smile before sauntering off.

~

"I heard you're going out with Luhan-shii tonight," Suho whispers.

I look over at him, shocked, in the middle of eating my sandwich.

"Close your mouth," he murmurs. "A mouth full of food isn't attractive."

I flush and quickly close my mouth, chewing.

"News travels fast here... I'm sure you've noticed," he says.

I swallow and nod. "Yeah... But... How..?"

"How did I find out?" he asks. "Luhan-shii never keeps his relationships a secret, you know... Anything involving Luhan-shii is big news around here."

"O-Oh..." I say.

"Just so you know... Luhan-shii doesn't just stay with one person," he says. "He's not someone who settles down, he keeps moving."

"Why?" I ask.

"Rumor says that his first boyfriend hurt him real bad and moved on to his best friend at the time," he says. "He's moved on from then... Built himself up and found someone else... Apparently his ex begged to get him back."

I give him a weird look. "Any idea of who this ex is?"

"Luhan-shii likes to keep it a secret," he answers. "But I'm sure he'll tell you... He's quite fond of you, you know."

I flush. "I don't know about that..."

He chuckles. "You ought to have noticed the way he looks at you, right?"

I shrug nervously. "N-Not really..."

He shrugs, grinning. "Throughout the four years I've been here, I've never seen him look at someone the same way."

"Yah, I'm sure he has," I say, flushing.

Suho shrugs. "Whatever you say... I'm telling the truth, you know."

~

"You hooked up with Luhan-shii?" Kai exclaims.

I flush. "We... We just saw a movie."

He laughs. "No one just 'goes out' with Luhan-shii."

It was the truth...

Luhan didn't try anything on me. He offered to pay for the tickets and food but I wouldn't let him. Other than that, we just watched the movie...

He shrugs when I don't elaborate. "Okay... You know Luhan-shii doesn't stay with one person, right?"

I sigh, nodding. "Yeah, I know."

~

"I heard you're dating someone," Lay says.

I flush. "Y-Yeah..."

"You know no one's allowed to be in a relationship except the people in the group, right?" Xiumin says.

My mouth opens but I don't know what to say. "N-No... I didn't... S-Sorry..."

Xiumin narrows his eyes. "You should be out."

"It's okay, he's dating me," a familiar voice says, coming up to them.

I look over to see Luhan and I flush.

"Whoa, you two are dating?" Lay asks.

"Yep," Luhan answers with a grin, sliding an arm around my shoulders.

I flush as Tao wiggles his eyebrows at me.

Luhan hits Tao's arm. "Yah, stop embarrassing him."

I go even redder and duck my head, trying to hide my face. Luhan simply chuckles, squeezing my shoulder gently.

~

"Where's Suho-shii and Kai-shii?" I ask, sitting down at the lunch table.

"They're out," Tao answers nonchalantly.

"Where?" I ask.

Tao laughs. "No. They're here, but they're out."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Out of the group," Tao says flatly.

"W-Why?" I ask.

"Because no one bothers my boyfriend," Luhan says, sitting down at the table.

I flush. We haven't made ourselves official yet... We've only gone out twice but according to Luhan, that must be a big deal. And to me... Well... My first two dates since my first ex so yeah, it's a big deal to me too. He hasn't kissed me yet but I think he wants to take it slow, I don't think he wants to push me... I know that he wouldn't push my boundaries and try anything I'm not ready for...

He told me that, right? That we'd go slow..?

I feel his lips brush my ear. "Don't worry... We'll take it slow..." his husky voice murmurs in my ear.

I swallow and duck my head, nervous.

His hand takes mine in his, squeezing it. "Don't be so nervous... It's okay..."

I manage to meet his eyes for a moment. "O-Okay..."

"Let's go out tonight..." he murmurs softly. "Dinner... I'll treat. Wear something nice, yeah? I'll pick you up at 6?"

I nod. "Y-Yeah... Th-Thanks..."

He laughs lightly. "You keep stuttering and getting nervous... It's cute."

I duck my head. "Y-Yah... Really?"

He chuckles. "Yes... I'll see you at 6?"

I nod, forcing myself to meet his gaze. "Yeah..."

He smiles before getting up, grabbing his bag and walking off.

~

There's a knock at the door and I almost trip over my feet trying to get it. I stumble forwards just as I open the door, almost falling into Luhan. He puts his hands out, steadying me. I lift my gaze from his feet to his eyes and he smirks at me.

"Eager, aren't you," Luhan says.

I flush, ducking my head.

He chuckles. "Only teasing."

I smile nervously.

"You know we're just fake, right?" he says.

"What?" I ask.

"We're fake," he repeats. "Our relationship isn't real... I just need someone by my side to spice things up... And you're perfect for that."

"O-Okay..." I say, wondering whether I should feel flattered or annoyed.

"Don't worry," he says with a soft smile. "We're pretty believable."

I flush and he takes my hand, pulling me out of my house and shutting the door behind me. He leads me to his car and opens the passenger seat door for me.

"Th-Thanks," I mumble, flashing him a nervous, flushed smile.

He closes the door gently after I get in and walks over to the driver's side. He hums softly as he starts the car. He pulls out of my driveway and onto the road. As he drives, he taps his fingers on the steering wheel while he hums. Occasionally he glances over at me and I try not to get nervous.

"You look nice," he murmurs.

"Wh-What?" I ask. "O-Oh... Yeah... Thanks... Y-You too..."

I flush at my stuttering and awkwardness and glance down at my collared, button down shirt, dress pants, dress shoes, and blazer. I glance over at Luhan and notice he's wearing something similar and that's when I realize just how attractive he is. The wave of his hair, the piercing dark eyes, the strong yet feminine jaw...

"You're staring," he murmurs.

"Hm?" I ask, in a daze.

He chuckles softly. "I chose well... You're quite cute."

He reaches out, his fingers brushing against my jaw line. I almost jump at the contact as they trace my jaw. He smirks before returning his hand.

"We're here..." he says.

He parks the car and gets out. I go to get out of the car but he's there in a flash, opening the door for me. I thank him, face flushed as I give him a small smile. He takes my hand and helps me out of the car... Not that I need it. He shuts the door behind me and leads me into the restaurant.

The smell of delicious food instantly fills my nose. My mouth is practically watering as I take in the beautiful surroundings. The dim lighting, the crystal chandeliers, the cream tablecloths, the uniformed servers...

"Two at 7:00 under Lu," Luhan murmurs.

Luhan takes my hand, leading us away from the grand entrance and into the elaborate designed dining area. I look around, following Luhan blindly, my mouth open in awe as I take in the gorgeous decor.

"Hey, close your mouth," his husky voice whispers in my ear. "You're drooling a little."

I instantly flush and close my mouth, my hand immediately going up to my mouth to wipe away--nothing.

He chuckles softly. "I'm just playing with you... I'm glad you like it."

"Yeah..." I breathe. "It's beautiful."

He smiles and with a flourish, he pulls out my chair for me. "I'm glad..."

I smile shyly before sitting down. He gently pushes me in before going to sit across from me. I ease off my blazer and hook it on the back of my chair. He smiles softly at me before guiding his attention to the menu. I do the same.

When I glance up, I see him looking at me, not paying attention to anything else going on around us.

"What do you think you're going to get?" he murmurs.

"I don't know yet..." I admit quietly.

"You know I don't really... 'Do' relationships," Luhan murmurs in my ear.

"Neither do I..." I say softly, thinking back to my ex who hurt me quite badly when he broke up with me.

"So I guess we're both exceptions for each other," he says with a chuckle.

I flush as I get a flutter in my chest, my heart beating faster than usual. I hate to admit it but he's incredibly sweet... Whatever doubt I had of him when I first met him is gone, replaced by a warm fuzzy feeling inside whenever I look at him.

"We're all staying over at Xiumin hyung's place tomorrow night," he says softly.

~

I knock on the door and a second later, Lay is greeting me at the door. He welcomes me in and I take off my shoes before entering. Luhan chuckles softly from the door before walking off. I follow Lay's lead and follow Luhan into the living room.

We end up playing video games and just talking until we notice that Lay's half asleep, mumbling softly. And then there's Kris who's sleep talking in Mandarin, making absolutely no sense at all. He rambles on about tomatoes and while I'm slightly confused and a little weirded out, Tao is all over the sleeping Kris, cooing and ruffling his hair. I'm sure if Kris woke up, he'd probably hit Tao but then realize it's him, pull him close, and smile.

I roll my eyes at the cuddling couple. Tao settles in beside Kris and closes his eyes as Kris opens a single eye to see if it's Tao before opening his arms and pulling him close. In a way, it's kind of sickening but it's also cute and makes my heart flutter. I smile at them softly.

"You want that?" a voice whispers in my ear.

I jump slightly and turn to see Chen. He chuckles softly, making me flush.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," Chen says, his eyes crinkling.

I rub the back of my neck awkwardly. "Yeah... That would be nice," I say.

He smiles. "Luhan hyung isn't exactly the guy to do something like that... But it seems like he likes you a lot."

I shrug though my heart lifts at his words. "Y-Yeah..?"

He nods. "Mhm... Throughout all of the years I've been here--"

"Chen-ah, stop dishing out Luhan hyung's secrets," Kris grunts with half lidded eyes before stretching out and curling around Tao.

Chen humphs before looking at me with a pout. "Sorry Sehun-ah. You're a cool kid... And I think the only new one Luhan hyung would be willing to share his secrets with."

I simply smile nervously. Lay groans softly, rolling over in his sleep before stretching out. He hits Chen's leg accidentally, making him wake up. Lay grunts, his eyes fluttering open.

"Mm... Where's Luhan hyung?" Lay mumbles.

That's when Kris and Tao wake up, shooting up in their seats, eyes wide.

"I think he and Xiumin hyung are upstairs," Tao mumbles.

Kris grunts in agreement before checking the clock on the wall. "Let's go to sleep..."

Kris and Tao get up and stumble off into another room.

"Where are they going?" I ask.

"To the spare bedroom," Chen answers nonchalantly before settling down on the couch.

Lay spreads himself out on the other couch. I stand in-between the two couches, rubbing the back of my neck awkwardly.

"Choose one of us or the floor," Lay says.

"B-But--" I start.

"Luhan hyung won't mind, he'll understand," Chen says with a smile before laying down and closing his eyes.

"Don't worry," Lay says. "If you do, you can sleep on the floor."

I shrug awkwardly.

"Hey, just come here," he says, patting a spot on the couch in front of him.

I smile nervously before settling down beside Lay.

"Night," Lay murmurs.

"Good night," I say.

"Don't try anything, Yixing hyung," Chen calls.

"Don't worry... If I do, it'll be because I'm out of it," Lay replies, his voice heavy with sleep.

~

"Yixing hyung!" a voice yells, startling me out of my sleep.

I jump up onto to be resisted by an arm holding me down. My back is pressed against something hard and warm... I carefully edge away and turn to see a sleeping Lay... Who I now know has a very strong chest... When I turn back around, Chen is standing there, clearly angry.

"Yixing-ah!" Chen shouts before pushing Lay.

Lay grumbles before his eyes open, clearly still sleepy. "What?"

"Yah, you said you wouldn't," Chen says, eyes narrowed. "What do you think Luhan hyung will think?"

"Xiumin hyung always sleeps in," Lay says simply. "Luhan hyung wouldn't leave him."

"What?" I ask.

"Oh, they sleep together," Lay answers nonchalantly.

"W-What?" I ask.

"Don't worry, it doesn't mean anything," he says.

I nod, swallowing the lump in my throat.

Chen also gives me a smile but I can tell he's uneasy.

"Chen-shii?" I ask.

"Don't pester him, Sehun-ah," Lay says.

His sudden cold voice makes me flinch. I notice how Chen flashes Lay a sharp look before patting my shoulder.

"Don't worry about it," Chen murmurs. "Let's make breakfast... Yixing hyung?"

I look at Chen confused and then Lay grumbles. That's when I realize that Yixing is Lay.

"A-Ah... Lay's Yixing?" I ask Chen, stumbling over the pronunciation.

Lay chuckles from off to the side. "Yeah..."

He turns to Chen, whispering. I don't think I'm supposed to hear him but I do. "It's so hard to stay mad at him."

"I think you scared him off..." Chen answers quietly.

"He knows what happens in our group, right?" Lay asks.

"Luhan hyung hasn't told him yet... I think he wants to keep it a secret," Chen says.

Secret? What secret? What are they keeping from me?

"We're a twisted group, you know... After what happened with Chan--" Chen cuts Lay off.

"Shh... I think he's listening. It's private to Luhan hyung, you know..." Chen murmurs. "He only tells a few of us."

"Does Kris hyung know?" Lay asks, eyes wide.

Chen shrugs. "I'm not sure... But I don't think Tao-ah knows."

"What are you two talking about?" a voice asks.

I turn to see Luhan with Xiumin following. Xiumin walks funnily, stumbling slightly as he walks with straight legs. I almost laugh only to see that he's wincing with each step. His puffy cheeks are blown up and along with his bed hair, he looks super cute... God, Sehun. You're dating Luhan, get it together.

I let my gaze slide over to Luhan, pulling off the "I just woke up but I'm still super hot" look along with some y bed hair. Luhan looks over at me and flashes me a smile but it doesn't reach his eyes. There's something preventing it.

"Morning Sehun-ah," Luhan says.

I can hear in his voice that there's something bothering him but I know if I pester him about it, he'll only get mad.

"Good morning Luhan-shii," I say.

I watch as his neck gets red, the heat creeping up to his cheeks as he ducks his head and pulls Chen aside. Xiumin wobbles over to Lay to watch him cook and I join them. I'd rather join Luhan but it looks like he and Chen are having a pretty serious conversation.

"You have to tell him," I hear Chen murmur. "You can't go behind his back like that... He doesn't know yet."

"I-I know... But Jongdae-ah...." Luhan says softly.

"Hm?" Chen asks.

"I regretted it after I did it," Luhan admits quietly. "I felt like I was betraying him... And we're not even that close yet but I feel something... I feel it in here."

I watch out of the corner of my eye as Luhan puts a delicate hand on his chest. Chen squeezes Luhan's shoulder gently.

"That's new," Chen says.

"Yeah... It is..." Luhan says. "And it scares me."