Chapter 6

Playing the Part [hunhan AU]

He looks over at me while squeezing my hand. "Are you okay with this?"

I nod and squeeze his hand back. "Are you?"

I watch as he swallows before nodding. "Yes... I want to do this."

I drop my voice to a whisper. "For Chanyeol-shii?"

He shakes his head. "No. For us. Not for Baekhyun-shii or Chanyeol-shii."

We stand in front of the doors to the school, hands tightly intertwined, our heads ducked together as we murmur to each other.

He stayed at my place last night and so we came here together... A lot changed. We ended up sleeping together... Just... Just sleeping... Beside each other...

Though I woke up with my arm around his waist.

"Luhannie?" I say quietly.

"Yes Sehunnie?" he asks.

"Na neo johahae," I say quietly, but immediately silently wish that I could take back the words.

"Nado," he murmurs with a soft smile before brushing his lips against my ear, instantly making me forget about my doubts.

He squeezes my hand before walking forwards and opening the door, holding it open for me. Once we're both in, he looks at me before pulling me forwards through the groups of people.

Almost instantly, they part to make room for him. I feel my face flush as everyone starts to murmur around us, obviously talking about... Well... Luhan and I.

We did have a few rough times and there were the times when he was with Xiumin-shii and Kris-shii and when I was with Jongin-ah but... We've come to realize that we don't want anyone else. At least that's what I think but who knows, it could change in seconds. I think... No, I know Jongin-ah will understand. Besides, he and Taemin-shii seemed pretty close.

"Just us?" I ask softly, ducking my head down to whisper in his ear.

He nods before going stiff. I glance up to see Baekhyun-shii with Chanyeol-shii holding hands.

"Luhannie," I say, my voice suddenly hoarse.

"Walk... Walk past them..." Luhan says quietly.

"What if they talk to us?" I ask, a million of possible scenarios bubbling up in my mind.

"Acknowledge, nod politely, and leave," he answers, his voice suddenly low and hard.

"O-okay," I say quietly upon seeing Luhan's eyes getting darker.

I take his hand and tug him along but he seems to be frozen in place.

Finally, he starts to move his legs rigidly as if he hasn't used them in years.

"Luhannie, it's okay," I say quietly, not knowing what else to say.

Luhan nods but his eyes are glazed and his face is blank.

I bite my lip nervously before swallowing and pulling him with me. As we walk closer to the other couple, I notice Baekhyun-shii and Chanyeol-shii sharing a smile.

I squeeze Luhan's hand nervously as the murmuring around us gets louder but it's as if he didn't even notice me. He stares at a spot in front of him, something I can't see... Something no one can see.

Baekhyun-shii and Chanyeol-shii stop in front of us so I stop too, holding Luhan's hand a little tighter.

"Luhan hyung, Sehun-ah," Baekhyun greets with a cheeky smile that makes me know that he's already up to something.

I feel Luhan's fingers close around mine.

"Sehun-ah... I was wondering if we could talk?" Chanyeol asks me.

Luhan's grip tightens.

"I um... I need to get to class," I stutter out.

Chanyeol bows his head respectfully. "I understand but surely you have time for a quick chat? It will only take a few minutes... You wouldn't mind, right Luhan hyung?"

I sense a low growl coming from Luhan's throat and I give his hand a quick squeeze to stop it from coming out.

Chanyeol shrugs. "Okay. Let's go, Sehun-ah. You're new and I'd really like to get to know you like I do with all my classmates."

"I don't think we have any classes together," I say quietly.

"Oh?" Chanyeol says, his eyebrows raising in mocked surprise. "I guess I must be mistaken... But surely we can still hang out, right Sehun-ah?"

"R-Right..." I go to answer but Luhan's suddenly shoved himself in front of me.

"No," Luhan growls, his hand still tightly holding mine.

"Excuse me?" Chanyeol asks.

"I said no," Luhan repeats, his voice threateningly low. "Sehun-ah is busy. He is busy with me. He doesn't have time to talk to you. He never has any free time for you so don't bother asking again."

My eyes widen in surprise. I've never seen Luhan hyung like this before. Not even in the cafeteria with Baekhyun-shii.

"Then what about you, Luhan hyung?" Baekhyun asks, stepping forward with a sly smile.

The smirk on his face makes me want to wipe it right off, my thoughts swirling around in my head because all I can focus on is how Baekhyun-shii, the same Baekhyun I loved, is still trying to take away what makes me happy.

I'm barely aware as I step in front of Luhan, shoving my face up in front of Baekhyun.

"You don't know him. You don't know Luhan hyung like I do. You're not friends with him so you have no right to be friendly with him and call him your hyung," I snarl. "Stay away from him if you know what's good for you cause the next time I see you talking to him... I don't think you want to find out what might happen."

Suddenly hands are around my arm, pulling me away.

"Don't you know what this means?" Luhan snaps. "Don't you know what this means when you mouth off to them about me?"

"That... That I like you?" I suggest.

"Agh! Seriously! You really don't understand, do you?" he says, clearly exasperated.

"What..?" I ask, confused.

"This automatically pits my group against theirs," he says, agonizingly slowly. "My, Luhan's group, and Chanyeol's group."

"Chan... Chanyeol leads Jongin's group?" I ask, confused.

"You didn't know?" he asks, scoffing. "God, you're so clueless."

"I regret it. I regret everything I've done with you because clearly," I say, motioning around us. "This isn't worth it and I don't want to deal with your bull and superiority."

"You don't understand this school like I do," he says.

"Clearly not," I snap. "And clearly I don't deserve your time since you spend it fooling around with everyone else and always acting like you're better than me."

"I'm the head of this group," he says. "So yes, I am better than you and I can pit this group against you if I wanted to."

"Then do it," I snarl. "See if I care because shouting at Baekhyun while defending you was the worst decision I've ever made because at least Baekhyun has the decency to smile at me and at least make me feel welcome."

"I can't protect you from him!" he exclaims.

"I know," I whisper. "But I don't think you'd even try anyways."

"But now you've put our groups against each other when we've tried so hard to stay above them," he shouts, angry.

"If I leave, there won't be anything to fight about," I say quietly.

"No. You will stay," he says, his voice threatening.

"Why? Because you want to see who I'll choose?" I shout. "Because every time, I will choose the person who is most loyal to me, always. And that will always be Jongin."

"Seriously," he deadpans.

"Yes, seriously. Jongin cares about me and I wish I didn't leave him for you, some monster who gets mad about everything I do and if I had the choice, I would go back in time to be with Jongin," I say.

"Sehun..." he starts.

"But I guess it doesn't matter anyways, huh?" I shout. "Because we're fake anyways."

And with that, I turn and walk away, leaving him to stare after me.