Chapter 4

Playing the Part [hunhan AU]

Kris grunts as Luhan slams his against the locker. I hold back my gasp and start to back away. Kris's eyes meet mine and he motions that I should hide but stay.

"What were you thinking?" Luhan demands.

"I thought that he needed a bit of comfort," Kris answers gruffly. "If I didn't tell him, what do you think he would have thought? He would've left you."

"So?" Luhan asks, eyes narrowed.

"Don't you care if he leaves you or not?" Kris asks.

"It's his choice," Luhan answers, casting his eyes downwards.

"What?" Kris asks, confused.

"He's different, Kris-ah. Everything's different with him," Luhan says with a sigh.

I peek out from behind the wall.

"Over your right shoulder," Kris murmurs.

Luhan turns and I quickly back away behind the wall but it's too late, he's already seen me. He approaches me and I swallow the lump in my throat. From behind him, Kris gives me a reassuring smile to my glare before walking off.

"How much did you hear?" Luhan growls.

"Enough," I answer in a flat tone, done with being scared off by Luhan.

Luhan sighs and I anticipate his hand flying at my face but instead, he runs a hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry," he says finally. "I know I shouldn't have and I know you didn't know and I know maybe you think I'm taking advantage of you but I'm not... So if you'll still have me... I'd like to continue with what we have."

I shrug. "We're fake anyways, so it doesn't really matter, right?"

He gives me a tight smile, nodding. "I... Sehun-ah..."

"What?" I ask, my heart lifting.

"I... Well... Yeah. I'm... Glad you understand," he says.

My heart drops. Even though it gives me satisfaction that I was right and he seemed a bit disappointed... But at the same time, my heart breaks a little bit.

~

"I see you and Luhan-shii have settled your differences," Kai says, walking with me to English.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"Oh, c'mon. Don't play dumb with me... You two made a big deal about that kiss in the middle of the hallway," he says.

"W-What?" I ask, now completely confused. "I didn't kiss Luhan-shii in the hallway..."

"What?" he asks, turning to look at me with wide eyes.

I shake my head vigorously and fight back the tears growing in my eyes. "Who was it?"

"Kris-shii, I guess," he answers. "He's the only one tall enough to be you."

I frown. "Kris-shii and I don't look that similar, do we?"

He chuckles. "I only glanced over, didn't want to ruin anything..." He ends with a cheeky wink and I giggle like a little girl, quickly forgetting my anger.

We walk through the hall and I let myself put my head on his shoulder because he's one of the only people around my height.

"Sehun-ah," he says suddenly, stopping.

"Jongin-ah," I tease.

He gives me a smile but I can tell it's forced. "You know... You know I like you, right?"

I nod. "Yeah, of course! Otherwise you wouldn't be my friend!"

He sighs before ruffling my hair. "You know what I mean, pabo."

"What?" I ask, looking up at him.

"If you don't want to be with Luhan-shii, I'm here, okay?" he says.

I give him a confused look. "But you're already my best friend, Jongin-ah."

He laughs, shaking his head. "You're too innocent."

I pout. "Am not!"

He smiles. "I like you, Sehun-ah. And if you decide that you don't want to... To be Luhan-shii's boyfriend... I'll be here."

I nod. "Okay!"

He smiles slightly before turning his head and muttering to himself but not before I hear it. "I know he'll end up with Luhan-shii anyways... But I might as well give it a shot."

~

Luhan approaches me and I go to duck away from him but he grabs my hand and pulls me close, kissing me hard. I freeze in his arms and he drops his head into my shoulder. It takes me a moment to realize that he's crying, his body shaking in my arms.

"Hey, hey..." I murmur, rubbing his back reassuringly. "What's up?"

"I'm sorry," he whispers, over and over again.

"It's okay..." I murmur, holding him close.

He looks up at me with tear-stained cheeks. "I'm sorry..."

"Hey, it's okay... Don't be sorry, you didn't do anything," I say.

"But I did," he whispers, his voice cracking. "I kissed Kris-ah this morning... I'm sorry... And I know you know this, but I slept with Xiumin hyung too. I wanted to tell you the truth and I wanted you to hear it coming from me..."

I close my eyes slightly, feeling my heart break a little for some reason.

"I really am sorry..." he says. "I won't do it again... I don't want to do it again... I just want it to be us. I don't want people making up rumors about us..."

"They didn't," I whisper. "I did kiss Jongin-ah... And I did hear you say that you slept with Xiumin-shii..."

"Who's Jongin-ah?" he asks, cocking his head to the side like a confused puppy.

"Kai-ah," I say. "Sorry, I forgot you didn't know."

"So you and Kai-shii are really close..." he says.

I nod. "He's my best friend."

"I thought I was," he says.

"You're my boyfriend..." I say.

I seemed to have said the right thing because he brushes away his tears, smiling up at me. He takes my hand in his and starts to walk with me while resting his head on my shoulder.

"Let's go somewhere," he murmurs.

"D-Don't you have class?" I stammer out.

"Yeah, don't you?" he asks.

"No..." I say. "I have a spare."

"Then I'll skip, let's go," he says, already dragging me outside. "Where's your car?"

"I... I don't have one..." I say quietly, embarrassed. "I take the metro..."

"Why didn't you say so?" he shouts. "I take it too! We could take it together."

I flush, more embarrassed than ever. "O-Okay..."

"I know this really good cafe near my house, how about it?" he asks. "Do you like bubble tea?"

"Are you kidding me?" I almost shout. "I love bubble tea!"

He chuckles before starting to run, flying past me. I start to run to catch up with him and soon we're running side by side. He looks over at me and grins. I grin back before picking up my speed and running past him. I notice him as he catches up to me with ease before grabbing my hand as we run to the metro.

Without knowing it until we're already off the metro, I realize that he paid for my fare. I bite my lip nervously as we walk, more like me following him as he leads me to his cafe. He shivers as a cool breeze passes by. After a moment's hesitation, I stop him and we stop at the side of the sidewalk. I drop my bag onto the ground and pull off my jacket, offering it to him.

He waves his hand in a no but I don't back down and finally, he takes it from me and gratefully puts it on. I pull my bag back onto my back, now in just my long sleeve shirt. He smiles and interlaces his fingers with mine before guiding me to the cafe.

Not much later, he leads us into a small, cute cafe. I almost start to drool the moment I see that they sell bubble tea. He takes us to a table in the back corner, much bigger than what we need.

"We... We don't need this big of a table," I stammer.

He simply smiles. "Don't worry. I'm a regular, I always sit here. The others come sometimes."

"A-Ah..." I manage to get out.

"What do you want?" he asks me with a perfect smile.

"Ch-Choco bubble tea?" I say, my cheeks heating up.

He grins before getting out of his seat and sauntering over to the counter to order. I watch as they greet him with a smile and he speaks to them kindly with a soft smile on his face.

"New toy?" I hear one of them asks.

He shakes his head with a smile. "No... He's my boyfriend."

"Oh, wow... Boyfriend," they say with a grin.

He flushes slightly before turning and waving at me with a small wink. I flush and wave back at him shyly, embarrassed. The workers simply giggle and smile widely. Luhan turns back to them and says something that makes them laugh.

~

Luhan walks up to me, grabs my elbow and pulls me away from Kai without muttering a word.

"What?" I ask, noticing Kai giving me a confused look.

I motion him to go on and look back at Luhan, finding myself looking into his dangerously dark eyes.

"Kai-shii," is all he says.

"What about him?" I ask.

"Believe it or not, I'm jealous of him," he admits.

"You never get jealous," I say.

"I know but... I want you to stop talking to him," he says firmly.

"W-What?" I ask, my eyes widening in shock.

He nods. "Choose. Me or Kai-shii."

I simply blink at him. Kai's my best friend and he's always helped me with everything... But at the same time, if I choose Kai, am I no longer in the group? Do I no longer get to sit with them and eat with them? Am I no longer invited to hang out with them?

"I'll give you a day," he says. "I expect an answer tomorrow."

"You know..." I say. "I didn't think you were that type of boyfriend."

And with that, I walk off, feeling his gaze bore into the back of my skull.

~

"So?" Luhan asks, coming up to me. "Me or Kai-shii?"

I give him a 'are you kidding me?' look. "You run into my arms crying and then you expect me to choose my boyfriend or my best friend? Not to mention that we're fake..."

He narrows his eyes. "Choose."

"Jongin-ah," I say simply.

He looks at me, eyebrows raised. "Are you serious?"

I nod. "Quite serious..."

"Really?" he asks me.

"Really," I say with a shrug. "So I guess... We're done, huh?"

"What?" he asks.

"Okay... I'll say it formally," I say. "I'm breaking up with you."

~

"I heard you broke up with Luhan-shii," Kai says, falling into step beside me.

I shrug. "Yeah. He made me choose between you and him."

"And you chose me?" he asks, stopping.

I nod. "Yeah."

"Why?" he asks.

"You're my best friend," I answer simply.

"You shouldn't have done that... I can tell that you like Luhan-shii," he says.

"I'm not going to give up my first friend, not to mention my best friend, for a player," I say.

He chuckles softly. "Alright..."

"Besides," I say. "He was only going to break up with me in the first place."

"Does... Does that mean we can go out?" he asks hopefully.

I smile upon looking at his hopeful face. "Sure, why not."

He grins, his face lighting up. "Great! Wait... Stand here."

I stay where I am and watch him as he walks away from me in the crowd of people. He looks back at me from over his shoulder with a smile and I give him a questioning look. Once he's on the other side of the hallway,  he turns to face me.

"Wh-What are you doing?" I shout.

He doesn't answer and runs at me at top speed. I'm not prepared as he jumps onto me. I catch him in my arms and stumble backwards before regaining my balance. I chuckle and spin around, holding him and then... I bump into Luhan.

"You look quite happy," he says in a flat tone.

"I am," I answer simply. "I--"

I'm cut off by Kai's lips.

My eyes widen in surprise and I close my eyes, kissing him back, but not before I see Luhan looking at me with a sad look in his eyes.

"I'm sorry," Luhan whispers in my ear before walking past.

~

"Luhan-shii, Luhan-shii! We heard you broke up with Sehun-shii!" a group of girls say, coming up to him.

He laughs softly. "Nah... I didn't..."

"But we saw Sehun-shii and Kai-shii kissing earlier today," one says.

He shrugs. "We have agreements..."

I watch as he walks off and I frown before quickly chasing him.

"Why didn't you tell them that we broke up?" I demand.

"Because we didn't," he says nonchalantly.

"I remember clearly telling you that I broke up with you," I growl.

"That cause we're still together," he says.

"I'm dating Jongin-ah," I blurt out.

He looks at me with wide eyes. "You two are serious?"

I nod. "Yeah."

"I thought the kiss in the hall was just a spur of the moment thing..." he says. "You looked really surprised."

I shrug, rubbing the back of my neck. "Yeah, I was..."

He looks down for a moment before looking back up at me. "Sorry... I didn't know."

I narrow my eyes. "And they're gonna go around and tell everyone that we're still dating and Jongin-ah's going to hate me because he'll think I lied to him."

"I'm sorry," he murmurs and I can tell that he's being genuine. "I won't bother you anymore..."

Before I have the chance to say anything, I'm watching his retreating back as he disappears into the crowd, instantly joined by the rest of his group. I notice Xiumin and Chen glare at me before following Luhan. Lay and Tao give me apologetic looks while Kris doesn't even bother looking my direction. To be honest, I thought Kris was starting to warm up to me... I guess not.

Kai comes up beside me and interlaces his fingers with mine before walking with me to my next class. Being the boyfriend he is, he insists on walking me to every class to make sure I get there safely.

~

Pink hair catches my eye as someone walks into the cafeteria. I quickly notice that it's Luhan. His eyes meet mine but they quickly pass over me and from then on, he just looks straight, not bothering to look at anyone else. Xiumin, Kris, Chen, and Tao quickly flock around him, following him to their usual table. Only Lay bothers to give me a small smile and a nod of the head before continuing past.

I smile back at Lay but once he moves on, I turn my attention back to Kai and his friends. Apparently Suho and Kai were friends before trying to join the group. He's close with Suho and a couple others like Taemin and Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo prefers to be called D.O because he doesn't want to known as Squishysoo, a nickname that they all gave him when he got all cute and cuddly one time.

I laugh as Kai makes a joke, but meanwhile, I'm looking past him and watching how Luhan laughs at something Xiumin whispered in his ear. I try my best not to flinch as Luhan brushes his lips against Xiumin's ear, whispering and smiling. I can practically hear his husky voice whispering in my ear now.

Kai nudges my side with his elbow and I jump slightly. I quickly resume my calm and turn to face him.

"You miss him," Kai says softly.

"Huh?" I ask. "Luhan-shii? No, of course not."

Kai laughs. "It wasn't a question, it was a statement."

I don't answer. I don't know what to say.

He gives me a tight smile. "Don't worry... I understand. First year here and he was the first one who welcomed you."

I nod, accepting the excuse. "Yeah... But you're my best friend now, Jongin-ah. And boyfriend."

He shakes his head slightly. "No... I can see that you still like Luhan-shii, Sehun-ah... You should... Go for him. I don't want to hold you back."

I shake my head. "No... I'm not leaving my best friend for... For a stupid crush..."

He laughs softly. "Negotiate... Not everything has to go his way, Sehun-ah."

"But... It's Luhan-shii," I say.

He ruffles my hair gently. "He likes you... He respects you, Sehun-ah."

"But would he do that with his reputation?" I counter.

He shrugs. "I don't know... There's only one way to find out."

I sigh. "They all hate me..."

He chuckles. "Lay-shii seemed pretty friendly at lunch... And Luhan-shii won't stop looking at you."

"Lay-shii's a confused little lamb," I protest.

He rolls his eyes. "And Luhan-shii?"

I whip around to see Luhan's eyes boring into mine. He instantly flushes but doesn't turn away immediately. After a moment when Kai turns to look at him, his eyes flick between us and I think they flash with hurt before he turns away, focusing his attention on Xiumin.

"He... He doesn't want to bother us," I say.

Kai simply laughs. "Obviously. But he doesn't hate you."

I sigh and tilt my head back. "Okay, fine. I'll talk to him."

"Good, go," he says.

I look at him, eyes wide. "R-Right now?"

"Of course," he says with a smile.

"B-But... Everyone will see it..." I say.

"You're meant to be the center of attention..." he reassures me. "You're the bratty maknae."

I frown at his last comment but his words make me confident. I stand up anyways and stride over to Luhan's table, ignoring the gasps and looks that get shot my way. All eyes follow me as I walk over to Luhan.

"You're not allowed to be here," Kris says instantly.

I look over at Luhan to see what he says.

"I see you still remember our ways," Luhan says harshly, but I can tell he doesn't mean it.

His eyes are lifeless and it breaks my heart a little bit.

"Luhan-shii..." I say, not knowing where to start.

The silence is deafening. I feel my hands get sweaty upon feeling the several eyes on me.

"Please take me back," I whisper.

"Tell me why I should," he says, a clear challenge in his voice.

I swallow nervously and I look around to see eyes boring into my head from all directions. So I do what I do best. Being cute. Or well... Aegyo.

"Bbuing bbuing~" I say in my cutest voice, smiling at him as my cheeks heat up.

His face is emotionless so I start to do gwiyomi.

"Ildeohagi ileun gwiyomi," I say, doing the motions.

The moment I put my fingers on my cheeks, he's pulling me into his arms, crushing me in a hug.

"I missed you," he whispers, only loud enough for me to hear.

"Huh? What did you say?" I ask with a serious expression on my face.

"I missed you," he repeats, a little it louder but not by much.

"I can't hear you," I say, still pretending to be serious.

"I missed you," he says, louder so everyone at the table can hear him.

"Still can't hear you," I say.

"I missed you!" he shouts to everyone in the cafeteria can hear him.

Upon hearing this, everyone turns to look at him at which he flushes.

I grin. "Still can't hear you!" I tease before quickly running away.

"You little !" he yells from across the room.

I don't dare look back upon hearing the pounding footsteps of Luhan behind me.