Chapter 4

Two Different Worlds

~Young Bae's Car~

"Soooo what BBQ restaurant are we going to??" asked a very hungry and curious Ailee.

"You'll see when we get there. All I promise is that it will blow your mind." smiled Young Bae.

After that response from Young Bae, Ailee knew that fighting him would be of no use. Thus, a silence spread through the car and the only sound of Sam Smith's song "Make It To Me" playing in the background.

I'm waiting patiently though time is moving slow
I have one vacancy and I wanted you to know that

You're the one designed for me
A distant stranger that I will complete
I know you're out there we're meant to be
So keep your head up and make it to me
Make it to me
Make it to me
Make it to me

"This is song is so sweet." said Ailee.

"Yeah, it is. It's a very relaxing song.", said Young Bae. The reason why Young Bae loved the song so much was because it gave him some hope for the future in terms of his love life. For the past three years it has been all about Dong Corp. and getting over Anna. Just thinking of the name Anna sends chills down Young Bae's spine and he is immediately reminded of all their memories and that horrible day. 

"Does this song remind you of someone Young Bae-ssi?"

Ailee's voice took Young Bae out of his trance and back into reality. "No, I just love the lyrics and the beat" said Young Bae. "Because my work is stressful sometimes, I listen to a lot of slower songs, and R&B music."

"I'm the same way, I love listening to and singing that type of music too." smiled Ailee."But all this slow music is kind of bringing me down and since we are going to be feasting on some pork and beef later I kinda need to get hyped up." laughed Ailee.

Young Bae started and laughing at this and shaking his head and said, "You are truly one of a kind. But yeah, here's my phone", handing over his phone to Ailee. Young Bae was extremely interested in seeing what Ailee was going to pick and also hoping that she wouldn't be too weirded out by some of his music. And then all the sudden a familiar tune started playing and his car turned into a karoke bar.

This hit, that ice cold
Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold
This one for them hood girls
Them good girls straight masterpieces
Stylin', whilen, livin' it up in the city
Got Chucks on with Saint Laurent
Got kiss myself, I'm so pretty

Ailee started singing this verse with all her energy and some sass and started to dance in her seat. Young Bae looked over at her and broke into a wide grin and started to dance and sing along with her.

"Come on! You got the next verse!" exclaimed Ailee.

I'm too hot (hot damn)
Called a police and a fireman
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Make a dragon wanna retire man
I'm too hot (hot damn)
say my name you know who I am
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Am I bad 'bout that money
Break it down

Sang Young Bae enthusiastically. Ailee was shocked at how good his voice was and thought he was a professional for a minute.

As the song ended, Ailee commented, "Damn! You have such a nice voice! I didn't know you could sing!"

Young Bae smirked and said, "Well, I am a man with many talents and good for you, we are finally here."

Ailee didn't even realize that they had driven out of the city a little bit and onto what looked like an allyway. 

"Where are we?" asked a confused and slightly worried Ailee. "I thought we were going to stay in Seoul."

"Hey, don't lose the faith! Just trust me, I promise you won't regret it" assured Young Bae. "Now come on, follow me"

As they entered the restaurant, they were greeted by an ahjumma, who exclaimed, "Young Bae-ah!!! Oh my gosh I haven't seen you in months!! Me and the restaurant miss you so much!!"

Young Bae laughed and hugged the ahjumma and the rest of the restaurant staff. Ailee was shocked and didn't know how to react because they were acting like they were a big family and none of them had yet to notice her.

"Oh my gosh and who is this? She is so pretty! Is she your girlfriend Young Bae?" asked the ahjumma excitedly.

"Oh no no. She is a client and a just a friend who really loves BBQ, so I took her to the best restaurant in Korea." smiled Young Bae shyly.

"Hello, name is Ailee! Your restaurant is so cute and it smells delicious in here!", said Ailee to the restaurant staff.

After the staff greeted Ailee, the ahjumma led Young Bae and Ailee to a private corner of the restaurant.

"So, what would you two "friends" like to eat tonight" said the ahjumma cheekily, obviously not believing that they were just friends.

"Ahjumma, we really are just friends! We only met a day or two ago" whined Young Bae.

"Well sometimes that's all it takes!" laughed the ahjumma, leaving Ailee and Young Bae to turn bright red.

"Okay okay! Back to food now! said an embarrassed Young Bae."We are going to get the meat sampler and 2 bottles of soju"

"Alright alright! I won't embarrass you too any longer" said the ahjumma. "By the way Young Bae, your grandparents would have loved her!" Again, at this comment Young Bae turned crimson.

After the ahjumma went to put in their order, there was an awkward silence between the two. Young Bae sensed it and decided to break the ice by asking, "Do you know why this BBQ place is so special?"

Ailee shook her head.

"When I came back to Korea 3 years ago, I was visiting my grandparents, who lived in the countryside. I had never been in the countryside before and was a little nervous to be visiting them for a couple of days. But after those few days I became a whole different person. I became someone who lends a helping hand to people with no hesitation and I learned to savor the simplicites of life. Both my grandparents lived very simplisticly even though their children were extremely wealthy. So, when they passed away a year and a half ago, it was devastating to not only me, but also the people of the village. You see, before they passed they used their money and whatever money their children gave to them, to help the people in the village who really needed it. So without them, a lot of families couldn't survive."

"Oh my god. That is so cool and generous of them!" marvelled Ailee. "But how does that connect with this restaurant?"

"Well, the people that my grandparents helped work here now. They help own and operate this BBQ place and use their village's own secret recipes and all the meat, veggies and supplies are all from my grandparents' village."

Ailee was so shocked by this and was amazed at how generous Young Bae was and also realized why the workers here respect Young Bae so much.

"And that was the best thing that could have happenned to my family and the rest of the village" said the ahjumma, as she brought over plates full of meat, side dishes and rice. "Young Bae and his family were our saving graces and that's why all of us here work so hard", smiled the ahjumma as she patted Young Bae on the back. "Now you guys enjoy!"

"Well you heard the lady. Let's dig in!" said Young Bae excitedly. As the meat was being put on the grill, all you heard was the sizzle and smell the intoxicating aroma of grilled meat. Ailee was so excited and she could not hide it. Young Bae noticing this, took a piece off the grill and cut it and went to feed her a piece. Ailee blushed a little but moved her head towards the piece of mouth watering beef. But at the last minute Young Bae quickly put the piece of meat back in his mouth and smirked and started laughing.

Ailee was infuriated and looked at him in disbelief. "WHY??? How could you taunt me like that?? Who do you think you are!!!" yelled Ailee.

"Well I'm the owner of this place!" smiled Young Bae, obviously having some fun with her. "Here, I have another piece" said Young Bae as he went to feed Ailee again. But Ailee did not trust him. Sensing this, Young Bae said, "Come on! My arm's getting tired! Are you gonna go for it or not!"

Hearing this, Ailee quickly snatched the piece of meat out of Young Bae's chopstick and squealed in delight from the juicy beef."This is heavenly." said an extremely satisfied Ailee.

Young Bae laughed at her cuteness and started to pour Soju into the two glasses. After giving Ailee her glass, he said, "Cheers to your new studio and the start of an awesome friendship!". Their glasses clinked and both knocked back their share of Soju and sighed with relief.

"Another round?" smirked Young Bae.

"Are you challenging me?" taunted Ailee.

At this, they both laughed and Young Bae countered back with "Only if you wanna lose"

"Well then pour me another then! I am not losing to you!" 

And so began a night of eating, drinking and of course conversation. Throughout the meal, Ailee was extremely into talking about why she got into music and why she loves it. She noticed that Young Bae was an incredible listener and was interested in what she had to say the entire time. She was extremely flattered by it and was a having a great time. Oh, and it didn't help that Young Bae was incredibly handsome too and when he looked at you, his gaze was intense. As for Young Bae, he was also having a great time and couldn't believe that they had so much in common. 

"So where is your favorite place to travel or where do you really want to go?" asked a slightly buzzed Young Bae.

"Ummmm, I would have to say Greece! From what I see on TV, the buildings and scenery look so beautiful! Oh and at night it would be a great place to go stargazing and just relax"

"It definitely is. I've been to Mykonos, Greece and it is breathtaking. It's definitely one of my top 10 places to go"

"Wait you've been their before???" asked Ailee full of jealously.

"Yeah I have, Dong Corp. has a built a luxury hotel over there."

"Well then I know where I'm staying when I go!" said Ailee excitedly.

"Well, then we will have to go together then" smiled Young Bae which made Ailee blush a little. Noticing this also made Young Bae blush a little too. Embarrassed, they both cleared their throats and continued eating. After awhile, they both were more than full and headed out of the restaurant. On their way to the car, Young Bae remembered during dinner that Ailee had said that she loved looking at the stars. Near the restaurant was an a park that overlooked Seoul and was a great place to go stargazing. But, this place was kind of a romantic place for like couples and Young Bae didn't want it make it awkward, seeing that when they left the restaurant everyone kept thinking they were a couple and it was already 12:30 AM. 

"Are you sure you can drive?" asked a slightly worried Ailee.

"Yeah of course, you beat me tonight remember?" 

Ailee laughed and said "That's right!"

Young Bae laughed at her antics and was still thinking about going to that park. Well, it doesn't hurt to ask. Worse outcome is that she says no and we can maybe go another time. But she should say yes though! It's Friday night! But what is she has a schedule next morning!?! Screw it, I'm going for it!

"Sooooo are you going to drive or not? I mean just because you lost at drinking doesn't mean you stop driving!" taunted Ailee,  but then broke out into a laugh and stumbling on her feet a little from the soju.

"Okay I will! But before I do, remember at dinner you said that you love stargazing?" said Young Bae.

"Yeah of course! I always go with my friends near the Han River" answered Ailee.

"Well, what if I told you that I know a better place than the Han River? It's only about fifteen minutes away from here and we can just take a quick peak cuz I know you are a busy girl." said Young Bae while looking at her expression, which was slowly turning into excitement. "So what do you say?"

"Yes! Of course! It sounds soo cool!" smiled Ailee excitedly.

"Alright then let's goo!!" smiled Young Bae as he started driving towards the park.