Neighborly Interactions

Just Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Thirteen.

Neighborly Interactions 

3890

 

 

 

 

It was a beautiful Saturday morning, and Saeyeon was more than pleased at the thought of being able to sleep in. After a pretty carefree night with her blind date Chanwoo, she was nearly thrilled to simply lay in bed for hours and hours to come (something she had wanted to do for about forever now).

She was happy.

Until Minju ahjumma came in knocking at about seven in the morning to tell her that there would be a mandatory family breakfast happening at nine o’clock sharp. Her presence was requested (demanded if she was to be completely honest) and no, Saeyeon had no way of getting out of it. The sleepy girl groaned into her pillow, because the word mandatory was never particularly one of her favorite words especially when it came to family matters. But with little choice, she obediently rolled out of the comfort of her bed and reluctantly dragged herself into her bathroom. With such a fashionista for a mom, the seventeen year old girl had to be presentable (or else both her parents would chastise her for being un-ladylike).

If you look the best, you’ll feel the best and be the best.

Saeyeon snorted at her mother’s words ringing inside her head but nonetheless began to tie her hair up to get ready. Ugh, if this was a mandatory family breakfast, then that meant she would be forced to see Hanbin (and unfortunately so early in the morning ON A SATURDAY). Other than the punches the Kim siblings had thrown at each other yesterday, they hadn’t spoken a word to one another since. It wasn’t like there would be much to say anyways. She hated him. He hated her. And all of that was already mutually established. Still, it was the most physical contact (need I add the most aggressive) the two ever had, and truthfully Saeyeon wasn’t sure how to act after everything that went down at school. She assumed breakfast would be awkward, especially with the additional presence of her parents.

Nine o’clock rolled around faster than expected, but Saeyeon was ready by then. Dressed in a modest floral dress, she headed downstairs, still reluctant. Her hair was in a quick fish-tail braid, and her makeup was light. She made sure that her lips were finely concealed and stopped in front of the mirror hanging on the wall just to double check. Not a moment too long after, Saeyeon then entered the dining hall, only to find her father mindlessly eating his breakfast while reviewing some papers, her mother excitingly talking about future makeup products with Minju, and her brother warily keeping to himself to avoid any questions that could possibly lead him to trouble.

Saeyeon internally scoffed. This was a family breakfast alright.

Her mother was the first one to notice her presence and beamed in delight. “Saeyeon, dear, you’re finally here! Have a seat.”

Smiling small, she sat down.

“I feel like I haven’t seen you at all this week!” her mother exclaimed with a pout.

“It’s because you haven’t, Mom. You’re so busy with work,” she countered, picking up her utensils (not in a rude way of course). Saeyeon was just telling the truth. “The last time I saw you was on Tuesday when the renovations in my room were done.”

Her mother gave her a sheepish smile, guilty as charged. “Ah… Well, you know Stylenanda can’t run without me. How was your first week at Daewon? Has your brother been helping you out?”

Hanbin stiffened immediately at his mention which didn’t go unnoticed by Saeyeon and the girl merely poked her fork into her sunny side up eggs, letting the yolk run. “Oppa does what he can,” she lied. “I don’t really want to bother him so much since he’s preparing for graduation and all. He’s probably all kinds of crazy busy.”

“Well I’m sure he can sacrifice a little bit of his time to show his sister around. At the very least, he should help you make some friends,” her mother frowned, glancing her son’s way. “Isn’t that right, Hanbin?”

Hanbin opened his mouth to reply but was cut off.

“Oh, he did.”

“He did?”

Hanbin blinked at her, confused. “I did?”

Saeyeon glanced at him (was he stupid or what) and forced out believable smile. “Hanbin introduced me to our next-door neighbor and since then, JB and his friends have been showing me around at school and helping me adjust. They’re really nice. We even ate out together.”

Technically it was just a food stand (and it was hardly a ‘we’ thing), but her family didn’t need to know that little detail.

“JB?”

Saeyeon blinked, realizing her mistake. “A-Ah, JB’s just a nickname. I meant Jaebum-ssi.”

“You met Jaebum already?” Her mother smiled affectionately. “How delightful.”

Hanbin looked away, returning his focus onto his food and clamping his jaw shut, one because Saeyeon had mentioned that bastard on the dinner table and two because despite the lies spewing from , she had technically saved him from getting in trouble.

“He invited me over to his house later on.”

Hanbin blinked once again, registering her words. He had to hold back the word “why”.

Because seriously, what the hell, why?

Her father, who hadn’t been active in their conversation due to lack of interest and relevance, immediately looked up from his papers and raised a brow. “Jaebum did that?”

“Yeah. He, uhm, said his stepmom wanted to have me over for dinner. Is, is it alright with you guys if I go?” Saeyeon asked, slightly taken back that her father had suddenly engaged into the conversation.

“Of course!” her mother instantly replied. There was a certain twinkle in her eye, and she expectantly glanced at her husband. “Your father and I have actually been wanting for you two to meet for a long while now.”

Saeyeon grimaced, not liking where this was headed. “Why?”

“Jaebum’s a fine young man,” her father interrupted, setting down his paper. He set his reading glasses down and picked up his fork to resume eating before adding: “A son-in-law I would gladly approve of.”

Saeyeon gaped at her father as if he grew a second head. How could he say that just so nonchalantly?

Hanbin must’ve felt the same way, because at that moment, he choked on the piece of sausage he had been chewing on and wouldn’t stop choking until he downed his entire glass of water.

Everyone stared at him.

His mother was the first to speak. “Are you alright, dear?”

“Y-Y-Yeah,” he coughed, pounding his chest.

Concluding Hanbin’s reaction was simply due to the disgusting thought of becoming related to JB, Saeyeon turned away and frowned at her parents, frankly annoyed. “Why do you guys keep trying to marry me off?”

“We’re not trying to marry you off, dear.”

Saeyeon snorted. Sure you’re not.

“Then what’s with all these blind dates and talk about my future marriage?”

“There’s nothing wrong with early preparations.”

“I’ve only been back for about a week, Mom, and I just want to focus on school right now,” Saeyeon retorted. “Do I have to go on this many blind dates? I’m only seventeen, seventeen—”

“It’s to secure your future darling, you know that.” Her mother timidly chimed, sensing her frustration.

She sighed. “I know that, Mom, but why do I need a husband to secure my future anyways? I can perfectly secure a successful future all on my own—single. Without a husband. I can be independent all on my own. Believe it or not, five years in America taught me a lot.”

“Now that’s just silly, dear. Having a successful husband will help you in the long run, which is why I’ve already set up another blind date for you next weekend,” her mother informed.

Saeyeon scoffed in disbelief. “Mom, are you even listening to me? This isn’t fair!”

“That’s enough! Kim Saeyeon!” her father disapprovingly bellowed, causing her to flinch. “Who do you think you are raising your voice at your mother? You better mind your manners, do you hear me? I will not have a daughter who disrespect her elders by talking back like a child. Now you be quiet this instance and eat.”

Saeyeon bit back her tongue, the anger inside her rising. But this was her father, and she knew better than to talk back to him.

“Seems like studying abroad did you no good, seeing how rude you’ve become,” he grunted.

“I’m sorry,” she mumbled immediately, lowering her head. “It won’t happen again.”

Hanbin wordlessly chewed.

The food gradually became tasteless as the Kim family continued to eat in silence.

Once she was done, Saeyeon politely spoke, her voice monotone. “May I be excused?”

Her mother meekly nodded. “Of course, sweetie.”

And with that, the seventeen year old left the dining room.

Shortly after, Hanbin finished his breakfast and stood up. The tension was still pretty high, and things were only all the more awkward with his mother’s attempts to lighten the mood. Hanbin was about to leave the table when something inside of him jerked, causing him to internally groan. Goddamn it, conscience.

“God, I can’t believe I’m actually going to say this,” he muttered to himself before looking back at his parents. While he had been quietly sitting down, minding his own business and eating his own breakfast, Hanbin got to thinking. And he came to terms that he was bothered about what just happened with his parents and Saeyeon. So… here goes nothing. With a deep breath, Hanbin cleared his throat. “She’s right, you know. It… it isn’t fair to her.”

His parents questioningly glanced up at him, but Hanbin straightened up and looked them dead in the eye. He already opened his mouth, might as well finish wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter