005

Life of a Successful Third-wheeler (EDITING)

Before you read though, there are many major changes and editing in this chapter.


Chapter 5: His 

My walk back home was filled with pieces of flashback from the extra-terrestrial conversation I had with Kai.

The fact that my back was hurting did not help me any further because let me tell you, walking home from school is not easy. So the first thing I did when I reached home after I took my shower was to eat my favourite cereal for dinner on my bed.

I contemplated whether or not to tell Hana and Kim about this. What happened between Kai and I was somewhere along the definition of the word, bizarre. Yes he is human, but he is like the god of the town and I was someone people would rather praise for being pleasingly acceptable.

Never had I ever thought our paths would cross in the most exceptional way but hey, apparently life is full of surprises.

The thought of Kai’s life being all perfect suddenly struck upon me that maybe, just maybe, it is nowhere near there. He sounded quite desperate from what I could see and I guess money could not solve anything. Oh well, I don’t care about him anyway.

Meanwhile…

Over the busy road of the city and glimmering street lights, there found a young man all alone sitting on the swing.

Kai thought it was cynical that whatever he does, good or bad, he would always find himself ended up sitting on this swing. He remembered how he always spent his evenings here with his mom before she became too busy with life. Dad had always been too busy.

Letting out a brief sigh, Kai looked down on the rubber ground of the playground’s park. Sure he was desperate and he knew it too well that he was long dead. “What the hell am I even doing here…?”

The sound of his ringing phone broke his trance of thoughts.  

“Hello?”

“Dude, where are you? Chanyeol bought a whole cart of coke! We’re gonna watch tonight’s match at his apartment”

Sehun voice beamed on his phone, there were loud yelling of boys behind and Kai could guess right that his friends were all there.

“Right, I’ll be there in 10 mins. You need anything bro?” Kai asked.

“You’re legitly asking me if I need anything? Well then, while you’re at it, buy me a cup of bubble tea”

Kai chuckled lightly and took his leave to the bubble tea store his friend often goes.


 

Baekhyun opened the door and greeted Kai rather emotionally. “God, dude where have you been? I so miss your y attitude” he said and closed the door.

“Watch it Baek, he might sue you for that” Chanyeol said jokingly making Kai rolled his eyes at them.

Kai walked to Sehun who was sprawled all over Chanyeol’s favourite couch and shoved the bubble tea drink on his face. “Next time, buy it yourself” he said and sat on the beam bag.

Chanyeol’s apartment was huge for a high school senior. Fully furnished and the modern interior was decorated luxuriously. All of his friends’ houses were. Except for Sehun considering the fact that he still live with his parents and also because he was too lazy to do everything on his own. It surprises Kai of how the students at school describe Sehun as someone cold and mysterious while that dude drinks bubble tea like it is his source of oxygen. Sehun was just too lazy to converse with people below his level of expectation.

“What time is it starting?” Kyungsoo asked walking in with a bag of chips. He plopped himself beside Kai on the floor and stared at the TV.

Suho who was playing with his phone answered Kyungsoo’s question, “In 30 minutes, hey Jongin what happened to that rumour about you and Krystal?” he asked.

“Well dad practically made me live back home until it resolves so I had to pack my stuffs all over again” Kai answered sounding irritated now that he reminded himself about what had happened.

It made the others eyes bulge out. Chanyeol even had his mouth wide opened, “Does that mean I can’t play with your video games?!” he asked.

Kai threw a pillow at him, “That’s all you care about?” he added. Baekhyun pouted and complained under his breath about how unfair it all was.

“Anyway, I talked to Violet” he informed them.

Sehun furrowed his eyebrows, “Violet? As in Violet Park the smarty-pants?” he asked. Chanyeol chuckled at this, “Who says smarty-pants? It’s the 21st century Sehun”

Kyungsoo ignored what they were saying and asked Kai instead, “Why did you talk to her?”

“Yeah Jongin, why did you talk to her? You’re not one to start a conversation, especially with someone like Violet” Baekhyun added munching on the chips Kyungsoo was holding.

“This tech worker from dad’s company said the article was posted from the school’s library” he stated plainly. His friends were again shocked and had their mouth hanging opened.

“That’s some real right there” Baekhyun added.

“Also a week ago I had an argument with Krystal at school, Violet was there. She heard everything. I’m not dumb to put the pieces together” Kai told them and released a heavy sigh.

Kyungsoo and Sehun furrowed their eyebrows and looked at each other, “Well what did she say? What did she say when you talk to her?” Sehun asked. Kyungsoo then added, “You didn’t yell at her did you?”

“Knowing Jongin, he probably scared the hell out of Violet” Chanyeol scoffed.

Kai decided to again ignore Chanyeol, “She said she didn’t do it and that she’d rather pick up rubbish around the whole town than writing an article about me” he said and clicked his tongue.

Baekhyun let out a brief chuckle, “That’s some real sass right there” he added.

Kyungsoo then said something he was thinking deeply about, “But what if she was telling you the truth? I mean Violet seemed like a nice person”

“She could also be lying; who knows someone paid her to do it. I mean chances are, the stalker could’ve bribed her or something right?” Chanyeol voiced out his opinion.

Kai nodded, “That was what I was thinking too, but then again I don’t have any evidence so…”

Suho suddenly clapped his hand, “I have an idea, why don’t you just use her?” he said.

“It’s not nice to use her dude!” Kyungsoo said, defending Violet.

“Not use her exotically, I mean she is the president of the magazine committee and they have their own place inside the-“

“Inside the library…” Chanyeol interrupted. “So you’re saying, Jongin should use her because she has access to the library at any given moment. Sweet” he added.

Suho nodded at this, “and even, she’s the only student that has the library keys”

Sehun clicked his tongue before leaning on the couch comfortably, “how do you even know she has the keys?”

“I’m the council president; of course I’d know that. Anyway Jongin, so what do you think?” Suho asked Kai who was deep in his thoughts. “I think it’s a brilliant plan” he answered.

In all honesty, Kai thought he was in deep . How the hell was he going to talk to Violet? Especially after he had partially harassed her.

“What if she does not want to talk to me?” Kai suddenly said as the half time started.

Baekhyun groans, “Again with this, dude you’re literally the KAI. Of course she’d want to talk to you” he said and raised the volume.

Suho then said, “Just make a deal with her, you’re in need of help and she has the accurate and precise ways to help you. Make a deal with her; give her what she wants in exchange for what you want”

“Also, if she by chance lies to you then break her heart. You are the master of breaking hearts after all right” he added boringly.

On that night, Kai drove back home with an inspired heart. Just maybe, he could solve this by himself. For once, without any help from his parents.