002

Life of a Successful Third-wheeler (EDITING)

It'll be Violet's POV throughout the whole story except for Capter 1 and if it is stated. Enjoyy :D

 


Chapter 2: The Argument

“Good morning Dad!” I sang happily as I went downstairs and the sight of my father reading the newspaper with a mug of his usual black coffee greeted me. He looked up from his reading and smiled at me sweetly before replying to me: “Good morning to you too my one and only beautiful princess”

A sweet talker that is what he is. I wonder if I was to be born a male, maybe I would receive his genes as one. Mom had always told me how flattering and subconsciously romantic dad was when he tried to win mom’s heart. I thanked his past sentimentalist character, I mean it had resultant to my living existence so…

Mom came to us with a plate of pancakes, she took off her apron and sat opposite of me.

“Are you going to stay back at the library after school today?” Mom questioned me. She took two pieces of pancakes and put it on top of my dad’s plates. She poured some honey syrup and pushed it closer for him to eat. I admired how mom put others before herself. I’m not sure myself if it was a trigger instinct women develops as they become someone’s wives and a mother but I want to be one. One that put others before themselves.

I realized I took too much time to answer her question. Clearing my throat, I spoke answering her question, “Yeah, I need to review back last week’s chapters and even, I have an article for the last magazine edition this year. Kind of my last article…”

Dad lifted his eyebrows and looked at me with face that expressed interest. “And what is this article you’re working on about?” he asked and took a bite of the pancake.

“It’s about Rich Kids” I answered him not realizing I spoke too fast. “I know, it’s weird. That was my first reaction too but yeah ‘by hook or by crook, you are the one to write this Violet’” I added, quoting Mr Fitz’ words when he gave the assignment to me last week.

Dad chuckled softly at me and turned his head. His eyes met mine and I knew what was coming then, his words of wisdom.

“Rich kids are kids, and kids are human too my dear princess” he stated and winked at me. “Are you finished? Do you want me to send you to school?” Mom said as she took dad’s plates together with hers. I nodded and helped her cleaned up the table.

Dad worked as a Senior General Manager for a property investment company. My mom on contrary opened her own nursery in the middle of the town. It had never came to my mind that we were rich, no. I think to put it better, yes we had money, a good amount of it but my dad had always limit our financial desires. So the feeling of ‘having’ money was never in my dictionary.

Naturally as I grew up into maturity, I had learned that the value of life were not defined by how much profit and assets you have, but rather how much hard works and sacrifices you put to achieve it. And I thank my parents for educating me this way.

Mom send me before she drove off to her nursery around 15 minutes away from my school. We kissed each other’s goodbyes and I walked inside the school ground a couple of minutes before the bell rang.

 

Hana greeted me from behind, stopping my tracks before I go any further. “Hi love” she greeted me, short and simple. I beamed at her before we tangled our hands and walked side by side into the school’s hallway.

“Where’s Kimmy? I actually had a quiet weekend without her around” I said as we stopped in front of my locker. I brought my hands and put in my locker’s combination, making sure no one saw it. Yes, she was my best friend but there are things that I’d like to keep to myself. And I’m sure there are things she’d like to keep to herself too. Everybody have.

‘5-4-3-8’ I mumbled softly.

“She texted me at 2 in the morning, said that she won’t come to school today. She just arrived back home from the island” Hana informed, tugging the books in her arms closer to her chest.

“She must be tired, well, where’s Jaehyun? Your blooming love should be here in…” I checked my watch as I counted the time, “three… two… one…” Jaehyun came and hugged Hana from behind. He smiled at me as a greeting.

“Subject moved in on target and we have contact” I mumbled to myself, narrating their affections.

The second bell rang before we could start our conversation making Jaehyun’s eyes grew bigger. “Shoot, I’m late. Later Hana! You too Violet, take care of my boo for me” he said before he ran off for Chemistry class.

Hana’s face fell a bit and I couldn’t help but to notice that. She was never good at hiding her emotion, like an opened book she was. The exact opposite of Kim who wears masked faces as her daily expression, she’s just really good at pretending. Sometimes I myself found it hard to comprehend and understands her when she acted as though she was fine. Not that she was fake but then again aren’t we all?

 I decided to shrugged it off and ask her next time at a proper timing when I realized I had to meet Mr Fitz before my first class which started exactly when the second bell rang.

So I ignored the fact that I might get a disciplinary penalty for being late and rushed myself to Mr Fitz’s office.

“Mr Fitz?” I softly spoke as I knocked on his door.

I heard his gentle reply of, “Yes, come in” before I turned the door knob and pushed it ajar just enough for me to walk in.

 Contrary to other teachers, he has his own office room. So maybe some other teachers have their own room but that is only because they are in the boards of administration. Mr Fitz on the other hand, has his own room because it is inside the library itself. He is after all the head editor for the magazine committee and the teacher in command for the librarians.

The sight of papers and books stacked up messily greeted me. It was no surprise that his office room is equivalent to a recycle bin. My eyes wandered around in search of a particular short aging man. In between the stacks of books, Mr Fitz’s bald head was seen trying to comprehend an essay written by his student.

“You asked for me to meet you Sir?” I asked the obvious, just to start the conversation. The awkwardness of the situation started to sink in. I hate it when I had to meet a teacher privately. They always make things awkward with them.

“Yes violet, I have something to ask you” he said, putting his pen down on his table. “Have you started plotting the article that I assigned you?” he asked, lifting his eyebrows.

“No sir I haven’t” I informed him, trying not to quiver. It was a chilly morning and he his air conditioner. Who in the right mind would do that?

“Good then” he stated oddly.

“I’m sorry, sir?”

“Actually, I called you in today because I have a slight change in the topic that I assigned to you. Please, have a sit before I start. It may take a while of your time and don’t worry, I’ll write an excuse letter for you” he said firmly.

I pulled the chair before scooting myself in between the two chairs in front of his table and sat on it.

“The topic I assigned to you was Rich Kids, am I right?” he asked and I nodded in response.

“Okay well, I want you to change the course a bit” he said and cleared his throat before explaining it to me further. “I want you to write an article about ‘High School Social Status’” he said.

“But… I want you to emphasize on how superficial a rich kid’s life can be” he added after, interrupting me before I asked anything.

“So you want me to classify the labels in high school?” I asked flatly, surprised at his choice of topic. It was too plain. Too general. To talk about the norm of the society when you are one? I thought it was a crucial topic to talk about yet alone write and publish one.

“Yes and no” he said and leaned behind. “Yes I want you to classify the labels and no I don’t want you to classify the labels” he stated. His complicated words brought my already tangled mind getting more tangled.

“You’re a smart and wise person Violet, analyse it thoroughly” he said and winked at me before he signed the excuse letter and gave it to me. I walked out of his room with a tousled mind and a writer’s block. I mean, ‘what the actual hell?’ was running through my head continuously.

Heaving sigh, I walked across the hallway to the very end of it. As I climbed up the stairs that would lead me to my classroom, a petite girl bumped into my shoulder scattering all of the papers and books in my hand.

I gasped in surprise and bent down to collect my things. The girl crouched in front of me and helped me, at least she was civilised enough to be considerate and benevolent.

“I’m sorry I was in a rush” she said softly and stood before she strode off.

Only then did I realized how smudged her lipstick looked. I shrugged it off, thinking how it was either in the janitor’s room or the store room at the back of the school but then again the rooftop could be nominated too. “Teenagers” I mumbled and left the scene.

My maths’ teacher gave me the ‘gaze’ as I walked in. He read the excuse letter and mumbled some incoherent words before he asked me to take my sit. He’s in his forties and was still single. Rumour has it, he lived with 20 cats in his apartment. I guessed that was why he’s always so grumpy.

Classes ended rather fast that day, I fathomed I was too caught up with works that I didn’t realize time was flying away. Hana and I bid goodbyes as she had a council meeting to attend. In addition, I on the other hand had an article to think about and a whole chapter of Redox to be revised.

I was contemplating with myself whether or not to go to the library near my house or just go to the school’s library. However, my laziness engulfed and embraced me with a big hug so I had accepted it with more than a kiss, which was why I had dragged myself to the school’s library.

I recognize most of the seniors were still in school compound. Seniors would usually stay back after school ends. After all, seniors hold the high positions in clubs so we do most of the work. The best part about my club is that we have our very own special room in the library itself. So it gratifies the need of editors and writers to complete our work.

I took the books needed before taking a sit inside the silent room.

The room had windows all round it, making myself visible for the people from inside the library itself. Computers were aligned at the right side of the room and reference books with trophies and magazines from the past were compiled and stacked on a shelf at the other side of the room. A big round table were put in the middle for us to get our job done and squeeze our ideas together. I sat there alone, facing the window that oversees the library.

Editing the written essay by one of our team’s writer took me long enough and a call woke me up from my focus. I scurried over to my bag that I left on the other table and answered without looking at the caller id.

“Hello” I said.

“Violet, it’s going to be dark soon. What time are you coming back home?” it was mom. I should’ve known, she would call me if I lose track of the time.

“Sorry mom, I didn’t realize. I’ll be on my way now” I answered her and we ended the call after she asked me to be careful.

I grabbed my things and took my leave from the library. Mom was right, it was already 6.15 and I still had to wait for the bus.

A sudden thought hit me when I remembered I left my Crap Book in my locker just now. Yes I call it my Crap Book because it’s a book and I write craps in it. Mostly home works and ideas also some other craps like a stupid unicorn my friend and I drew over a boring motivation talk at school the other day.

I heaved an annoyed grumble at myself and turned around to walk towards the stairs. After I took my ever needed Crap Book and locked my locker, I looked at my watch and realized how late I was. So with the help of my long legs, I stride downstairs and took a right turn. But before I did, a sudden yell stopped me from going any further.

So I stood behind the walls with my hands clutching my mouth and eyes as big as owls, flabbergasted at the scene happening in front of me.

“STOP IT KRYSTAL!” Kai yelled and scratched his head out of frustration.

I looked at Kai who was standing facing Krystal. She leaned on her locker and smirked at him. It reminded me of the accident a week ago with Kris.

Point is, Kai and Krystal are like the unofficial crowned king and queen of the school. Perfect for each other with their equal social status and let’s not forget their net worth.

They were always seen together and I was not dumb to notice Kai’s absence to the store room once in a while. I always shrugged it off, thinking that it was their business and it had nothing to do with me.

To witness Kai blasting out of his patients to Krystal is like being kissed by Michael Jackson, which is impossible. But then again, I wondered why I stood there and waited for their next move. Maybe I was just curious. Maybe I thought I might spoil the tension between them. I had no idea.

Krystal brought her arms and crossed it together, “What? You want me to pay the douche to get his mouth shut?!” she asked him. I realized then that Krystal’s father owned a hotel. ‘Is this a talk about business…?’ I thought to myself and furrowed my eyebrows looking at them.

“I said stop it” Kai said, his voice slow and firm. Almost like he was trying to not slaughter her.

“It was a mistake Krystal! I was drunk! And I bet you didn’t even realize that since you were waiting for the moment to come all along right?!”  

“Excuse me?! Are you saying I’m desperate to have with you?!” she interrupted him, her face showed repulsion. I frowned at the thought of them together in bed. ‘Eww’ I muttered under my breath and shook the image off my mind.

“Look I don’t care about you, and I know you only care about my money so just make sure that guy shut his mouth and delete the pictures before he publish it to the internet. Because I know you’ll be dead with your dad if he finds out about this”

“Fine then I guess that’s it huh?” she said and uncrossed her arms.

“What’s more to it? You don’t like me and the feelings mutual” he commented and took a step back. Krystal scoffed and rolled her eyes before she left him.

Though I was surprised that they don’t like each other, I didn’t really care enough to think more to it. It doesn’t take a genius to solve the pieces together. They had . A stalker took some pictures of them and one thing led to another, now they’ve broken up. There goes the story of Romeo and Juliet. ‘I always thought they look good together’ I said to myself and shrugged it off. ‘Oh well…’

I decided to walk ahead but Kai’s yell stopped me again, “Yah, stop!” he strode towards me, fast.

When he stopped right in front of me, closer than I please, only then did I realize how tall he was. I looked up, letting my gaze fell on his without much thought to it.

“Were you eavesdropping on us?!” he asked rudely.

“I’m sorry I was not actually…”

“Did you heard what we were saying or not?!” he yelled again, interrupting what I was about to say.

“I heard…” with this, Kai took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Probably out of annoyance.

By surprise, he brought his hands to my right shoulder and pushed me to the locker by the side. A sudden pain hit me though I withstand showing any expression. How could he hurt a girl, an innocent one at that?

He brought his face nearer to mine and I could hear his steady breathings. “I’m going to say this once. I swear if this comes out in the public, you’ll be dead Violet Park” he threatened, his deep hoarse voice brought shivers running down my spine. It’s a surprise he even know my name yet alone says it.

Kai then looked directly into my eyes, and the fact that we were inches part did not help the fact that I was maybe a little frightened. He blinked once… twice… thrice…

He left me there and walked away with a stoic expression on his face.

I heaved a sighed and let out the breath I was holding for too long.

‘Why would I even tell anyone?’ I asked myself and rolled my eyes at how rude and exceptionally ill-mannered rich people are.

The sudden realization of how dark it was getting made me ran to the bus stop without even thinking twice of the scene I witnessed.

So what? They had ? Big deal, it was not like I was a and they used me. 

 

 



Hey guys! 

Firstly, i am so sorry like who the hell write half a story and ditch their readers right? apparently, me lol. But yall should chill, i would never ever ditch you. And yes i finished high school so as most of you know, i was busy preparing for my final. Now that it is over, i have my time to focus on this. I am editing the story again because i felt like it did not reach my level of expectation and it did not came out as i imagined it to be, so i put all of the chapters in draft. But i will surely be updating everyday so wait up for it. 

Much love :D