001

Life of a Successful Third-wheeler (EDITING)

Chapter 1: Her  

*BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!*

The annoying sound from her phone filled the whole bedroom.

       The brunette haired girl groaned in frustration as she flipped herself sideways, shoving the fluffy blankets away. Her hand struggled it ways to o the bedside table, trying find the source of that sound.

“Where is that ?” she asked herself trying to open her eyes.

As she grasped her gold iPhone 6 in hand, the girl sat sideways and unlocked her phone. The time greeted her in a sarcastic smirk, reminding herself why she had to wake up early.

“Ughhhh… school”

And that is how an average high school senior wakes up every day for school.

Violet Park have always had a promising future. She’s a smart and wise girl that only do things that will benefit her. She scores good grades, earns her fair share of respect and the teachers love her. But even in fairy-tales, a perfect life does not exist.

As she finished putting on her school uniform, Violet stood in front of the mirror. Her waist length wavy hair was brushed neatly and her glasses stood nicely on her nose bridge.

Violet smiled in content. “Yeah well this is as good as it will get” she thought as she took her healthy organic lip balm and applied it on her thin lips. It was never her preference to wear thick make ups and y red lipstick. She chose the simpler way to look ‘okay’.

“VIOLET! COME ON, YOU’LL BE LATE!” she heard her mother yelled from downstairs.

“Coming mother” Violet said plainly knowing her mother wouldn’t hear her.

With a heavy heart, Violet dragged herself downstairs and shoved a slice of bread in . Her mother gave her the unsatisfied look on her face as she saw how the bread hung pathetically in her daughter’s chops.

“Can you please eat like a normal person would honey?” her mother advised her as she took off her apron.

Her dad came down amending his tie. He gave Violet a sweet smile and wished her a good morning in which she nodded as a reply.

As she swallowed the remaining bread, she went to her mother and hugged her. “I’m embracing my amazing weirdness mom” Violet winked playfully and her mother shook her head softly to her.

Violet then went to her father and helped him with his tie, grinning adorably at him.

“There you go dad, love you!” she said and kissed his cheek before walking out of the house.

The walk to her school was plainly boring. She wished to have her own car that would conveniently help her save the time. And maybe her social status in high school.

As she arrived, Violet dragged herself to her locker along the hallway. She looked through her timetable for the day and arranged her books accordingly. Violet had always been meticulous about everything. She arranged her books in colours and stationeries symmetrically. She follows her own rules and principals. After some inconvenient incident that happened in the past, she vowed to never violate it.

Shrieks and screams woke her up from her trance of thoughts. Violet turned her head to her right and sighed in annoyance. ‘Here comes the kings of SM High’s hierarchy’ she thought to herself.

Six majorly handsome and famous boys walked in with their Oscar-like grand entrance. The girls around the hallway stared at them from top to toe, checking them out despite wearing the same uniform every day. Violet eyed the boy that was walking at the far left. Her mind wandered away again.

“Do Kyungsoo… Average grade for a senior, passed his exams with B’s and a bit of A’s. An active member of the music club. Have a pleasant sweet voice. Quiet most of the time and talk only if he had to. The sanest one of them all. His social status: The “sweet” guy”

Violet thought and her eyes glanced towards the boy beside Kyungsoo.

“Kim Joonmyeon… the ideal husband. The president of the council committee, scores his entire exam and plays basketball well. Dressed smartly and talk wisely. Responsible and does his duties diligently. Social status: The “perfect” one”

Her eyes trailed to the two guys at the far right. They were laughing together with their bags hanging on their shoulder.

“Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol… inseparable. The most insane duo of them all. Very loud and plays Warcraft as if it is their daily dose of oxygen. Closest to each other as Baekhyun holds the title of the president of the music club and Chanyeol as the Vice President. Baekhyun would sing the song and Chanyeol would play the melody. Baekhyun is the “funny” guy and Chanyeol holds his social status as the “talented” one.”

Violet then looked at the guy beside Baekhyun. His eyes were looking straight ahead, with no expression plastered on his face. Almost emotionless.

“Oh Sehun… tall, fair skin with an extremely handsome face. Vice president of the dance club. There’s not much to him except his talent in dance and basketball. Other than that, he barely speaks to anyone but his group of friend. Legend has it, Sehun was actually brought up to this world by the god of wind. You can’t see it but you can feel it. But of course, I don’t believe in that myth. His social status: the mysterious ice prince”

Last but not least, she looked at the guy in the middle. He was walking as if he was on a fashion runway. With his brunette hair styled up messily and dark brown eyes looking at nothing in particular. He was smirking ily, his lips from time to time. Violet lifted her eyebrow as she looked at him.

“Kim Jongin or as what he asked to be called, Kai… Notorious bad boy, a rebel, very very mean and very very dumb too. Barely passed his exams and only strived hard when he dances or when he plays basketball. Other than that, well he doesn’t look like he cares. Arrogant and also ignorant. President of the dance club and apparently the most influential bachelor of the whole country. The only son of the Kim household and currently an heir to the throne, the family’s company. High school social status: The Famous Star”

She rolled her eyes and ended her trail of thoughts. As she was about to close her locker, her two best friends came and surprised her from behind.

“You gave me a shock” she complained and shut her locker’s door though failing miserably.

“Why is this always not working…?” Violet said under her breaths and pushed the locker’s door with all her strength.

“Phew, that was the work out of the year”

Her friend giggled in response and slung her arms on Violet’s shoulder. “What is it Kimmy?” she asked. “You would never smile like that unless you want something from me”

“Nope, no, nothing… Just sharing the love and hoping for a better world” Kimmy said mischievously.

Violet looked at her other friend who was smiling at them. “What’s up with her Hana?” she asked. Hana shrugged her shoulder and tugged her books closer to her chest.

“She was exactly like that when she came to me… so…” Hana stated.

Violet’s life at High School was bearable because of her two best friends. Kimmy Jane and Hana Lee.

Kimmy is half American and she transferred in Grade School. She’s loud and have a habit of talking about “what’s happening” in the school. She has a bright personality and also a strong aura. Kimmy is quite fierce and she says what’s on her mind. Probably that was what made her the president of the debate team. High school social status: the fierce beauty. Also taken by Kris Wu, a half Canadian.

Hana on the other hand, is the exact opposite. She’s diligent and a school-obsessed freak. She’s calm, very sweet and speaks softly. She’s the secretary of the council committee and speaks to Joonmyeon frequently regarding the school activities. She does her homework in time and have a cute obsession over Pandas. High school social status: the perfect girl.

“Hey baby” Ahn Jaehyun, Hana’s boyfriend of three years greeted her as he hugged her from behind. Hana smiled to him and leaned on his chest.

“Oh god stop with the PDA guys” Kimmy commented and closed her eyes, acting as if she was disgusted.

Violet stood there and chuckled at them. Kris came by surprise and kissed Kimmy’s cheek as he stood beside her.

“Okay now I’m the one who should say that Kim” Violet said and rolled her eyes.

They laughed and walked together to their class. Kris who was walking in front with Kim, turned around and started walking backwards. “Let’s hang out later” he proposed the idea to them.

Kim turned her head and grinned at them with pleading eyes. Hanna and Jaehyun looked at each other to ask for approvals. They seldom talk in public. Violet had speculated one sleepless night that maybe, just maybe, they are actually soulmates who came from another dimension that have telepathy as their superpowers. But then again, maybe they are just that introvert. So that sums up her curiosity.

“Where?” Jaehyun asked as he turned his head to the front.

Jaehyun’s and Kris’ relationship with each other had always been platonic, that was after all what Violet speculated. They are not best friend but they could call themselves as good friends. If somehow, by any possible chance the world put both of them in the same room with a loaf of bread together; they could survive without hurting each other. They are in that kind of relationship.

Kris shrugged off his shoulder, still walking backwards. “Your call…” he said.

Kim suggested they go to their usual hang-out spot. A local coffee shop near the school.

“And of course I will have the courtesy to be the only loner, why do you guys even drag me with you? Like yall could’ve just go out on a double date without me, that would save all the troubles of hearing me nag and fangirls about your sweet affections right? ” Violet joked and they laughed at her.

She joined their laughter and looked up ahead only to realize a certain someone was standing in the middle of Kris’ way.

“KRIS!” Violet screeched but failed to notice him.

Kris fell together with the other student. Before they could comprehend their current situation and apologize, the latter girl stood up and dusted her plaid skirt. Her face showed no sign of leniency and grace. She looked at Kris who stood up looking rather horrified.

Violet and her friend was behind him, trying to help him up in any way that was possible. If running away was an option, maybe they would have reached Mars.

The girl took a deep breath and her fiery gaze fell upon Kris. Her lips was in a thin line; she was furious and this was not a surprise to anyone who knows her name.

Seconds passed by and the silent treatment given by the girl brought an unpleasant feelings inside Violet’s pour soul. The girl is capable of doing anything to Kris and Violet was aware of it.

“UGHHHHHHHHHHHH” the girl groans loudly, catching every student’s attention across the hallway.

Well that was what she was. An attention seeker. Krystal Kwon was the ‘it girl’ of the century. Not really no. She just think she is. Hell, she used a Starbucks tumbler as her water bottle in 4th grade. An average girl used Barbie merchandise. She’s the type of girl that goes around school to exhibit her cakey fake face and shows to others how wealthy she is. Well credit taken, she is wealthy. And on top of that, she was the lovely girlfriend of the school’s famous star; Kai. Let’s just say birds of the same feather flock together.

“DO YOU NOT HAVE A PAIR OF EYES? ANY LIVING HUMAN BEING WOULD KNOW HOW TO WALK PROPERLY! WHAT ARE YOU? DUMB? MENTALLY ILL? I AM THE KRYS….” Her wrath were stopped when Kai came and hold her hand, he glanced once at each and one of them before dragging her away. Krystal whined fakely as a protest.

“Stop it Krystal, I’ll buy you the necklace” Kai said, his voice sounded plain.

That somehow magically divert Krystal’s attention, “Will you really baby? But anyway, did you saw how he pushed me? He hurt my arms” she wailed.

As the couple left the scene, Violet and her friends still stood there, flabbergasted at what had just happened.

“I swear she’s Lilith-” Kim stated as she exhale her breath. She didn’t even realize she was holding they left.

 “I think she’s worse than Lilith will ever be” Violet added and chuckled at how dramatic it was.

“Well that was unexpected” Jaehyun said and put his hand on Kris’ shoulder. “You alright bro?”

“Yeah, I mean other than the fact that Kai dragged her without laying his fist on my face, I think I’m fine” he said and chuckled softly after.

“He sounded annoyed, maybe even the famous star couldn’t stand Krystal’s wraths. She is after all the goddess of all the devil’s horns” Violet spoke and shrugged her shoulder. “Come on, we’ll be late for class”


 

The bell rang indicating the end of school. The four of them gathered in front of Kim’s locker, flirting with their partner because why the hell not. Violet was last to arrive because she had an Economics class and unfortunately for her, the whole top-6 most famous boys were in the same class with her.

“Sorry, Mr Lee had to torture us with extra 15 minutes because there exist this uncivilised person named Kai in my class” Violet spoke her mind as she neared her group of friends. She had went to her locker and took her things before she dragged herself to meet them.

“Kai and his tardiness again?” Hana guessed as she intertwined her hands with Jaehyun’s.

Violet nodded her head and rolled her eyes in annoyance. “Why am I not surprise?” Jaehyun said and scoffed.

“I mean if you want to be unsuccessful then go ahead just don’t drag me with you” she added, complaining to her friends of how unfair it was.

“Well then again, it is THE KAI so let’s put that behind and have some fun” Kris said. He put his hand on Kimmy’s waist and they walked across the school’s hallway with the other three following them behind.

As they arrived at their usual hang-out spot, a café near their school, the workers recognized them immediately. “Violet! What’s up? How was your day?” one of the barista greeted her.

“Like the colourful rainbow, thanks for asking. How was yours Kookie?” she answered and grinned cutely.

“It was a hectic day for me. Sooo, what do you guys want to order?” he asked them.

Jaehyun looked towards Hana and then turned his head to the worker. “She would like one Hot Chocolate and one Iced Chocolate for me” Jaehyun ordered for both him and Hana.

Kris was next, he smiled at the worker before he ordered. “Well my beautiful lovely girl here would like one Iced Lemon Tea and I would like to have one Asian Dolce Latte” Kris said not realizing he was making Kim’s cheeks blushed in rose pink. Kim was never a fan of coffee like the others. So in contrary, tea had always been her major favourite and Kris never fails to realize that.

Nobody ordered for Violet and it has always been like this for years. She’s the independent girl who refused to have a boyfriend. Not that she didn’t try to pursue her career in the love fields but it was just because after the embarrassing truth happened in elementary school, she realized people just give up on her. She realized how maybe some people experience love after they finish school. As a matter of fact, she had always set her eyes for this one particular guy. A guy she meets almost every day after school. He’s a librarian working part-time at the local library near her house and the only thing she had said to him was “I want to borrow this book”

“Violet? You want your usual?” the worker asked and smiled softly at her. He was probably thinking of how pathetic Violet’s life was. But then again, it was.

“YEAH!” she yelled, finally waking up from her trance of thoughts. Her friends look at her with furrowed eyebrows. “I mean, yes, I would like one Americano please” she said and smiled.

The worker repeated their orders and they thanked him before taking the tray and sat at the corner end of the café. They had always sit there whenever they went to the café. It’s kind of like a thing for every cliques to have their marked assets to not be touched.

Kris and Jaehyun pulled a chair for their girlfriend before taking theirs. It was not that they were trying too hard to be labelled as a gentleman but it had always been a norm; to pull the chair for the girl before you sit.

Too bad Violet don’t have the extra hand to pull the chair for her…