D-day

Bulletproof High School

"!" Hoseok woke me up with his surprisingly loud profanity.

"What the hell Hoseok? It's the morning, I'm trying to sleep." Suddenly, there was a jab of pressure applied to my unexpecting forehead. "Ah! Seriously Hoseok, what's with you?! First you wake me up rudely, now you thump me on the head?!" My eyes began to slide open as I pouted, rubbing in between my eyes.

"It's 6:40, that's why!"

"Exactly! It's too early in the morning for this crap." 

"It would be normally but today, sweetie, is our first day of school!" Again with his natural sassiness.

"Yeah, yeah, first day of school, blah blah." I rolled my eyes and then suddenly, everything registered, "Wait! It's 6:40! Hoseok get up and get ready! We're going to be late! Why didn't you tell me earlier?!" Hoesoek let out an annoyed groan.

"I was trying to! But miss beauty sleep over here kept pushing me away!" Hoseok rolled his eyes at me.

"Yeah yeah." I was surfing through our blankets and pillows, looking for my outfit that we had picked out. "Aha!" I pulled my pile of clothes consisting of my shirt, shorts, and socks. When I looked up to see Hoseok, he was in the process of putting his shirt on. "Yah! I thought I told you to act like a normal guy and not change right in front of me!" Hoseok just looked up at me in amusement.

"Normal? This is normal, guys like to show off their bodies to girls," he chuckled, feeling like he had won but he hadn't won anything with me quite yet.

"Well didn't I also tell you to work out? Didn't you ever learn that you need to have a 'body' to show it off?" His face contorted into an unhappy grimace.

"You're so mean," Hopie pouted slightly, making me feel bad. "I don't judge your lack of a body." His falsely sad eyes, snuck a glance at my face.

"You !" I threw my pillow at his face and watched it tumble to the ground as he just started laughing triumphantly. "At least you can do something about it." I crossed my arms like a child and stuck out my bottom lip, feeling pretty offended. 

"Yah, Petalfly, don't be like that, I didn't mean it like that, okay?" He tried to get me to look at him but my gaze was firmly on the pattern of the blanket underneath my feet. His head hooked around to try and get his face in front of mine. To avoid his face, I just kept turning my head away from him. "Hey, I was just kidding. Any guy would be lucky to have you."

"Not with what I have," self-consciously, I gestured from my upper torso to my thigh area.

"Tch! You aren't supposed to believe such things! Your body is perfect okay?"

"How would you even know!? You don't pay any attention to girls!" Before I could process my words, I snapped back at him harshly.

"Get dressed and let's go." Hoseok turned and hurriedly began to walk away from me. 

"Hopie! Wait, I didn't mean it like that!" He wrenched his wrist out of my grasp just seconds after I grabbed it. "Hoseok! Please! I seriously didn't mean it!" I ran after him as he speed walked to the stairs where he abruptly turned to face me. 

"Don't call after me like what you said can be solved with a simple 'forgive me'! You know how much it means to me!" Tears filled his pretty eyes. "Though it was years ago, you don't know how much it hurt! Imagine the guy you like comes up to you and tells you that what you feel is wrong! I have started to get over it but now you are bringing it up again! I thought you of all people would be more considerate!" Sorrow gushed out of his eyes and I imagined that it must have been hard for him to see when he turned back to the stairs. 

"Hopie, wait! Stop!!" His movements were jerky; probably due to his lack of vision. "Hoseok!!!" Tears filled my eyes too as I watched him catch his foot on my pillow just enough to lose his balance. His body then jolted to his side and he tumbled down the stairs quickly with such a speed that I didn't even get a chance to breath in anymore air. The moment I heard the thud of his body hitting hard on my tile floor below, my lungs tensed; causing a sudden intake of air. Too stunned to really know what was happening, I just stood in the same exact spot. "H-hoseok?" My voice scratched out carefully, my internal feelings being too afraid to go and see what had happened. There was nothing, no sound, no cries, no voice, nothing. Fear scratched it's fingernail up my spine, making my hairs stand up straight.

An unnatural moan filled the thick air around me. My legs forced themselves to move forward as I made my way to the stairs. Uneasily, I peeked around the corner to see what lay on the floor at the base of the stairs. My breath hitched and my eyes grew at the heap of my friend laying on his right side. "Hoseok!" Quicker than I had ever imagined that I could go, I flew down the stairs and knelt at his side. "Hopie, hopie say something." Gently, I touched his left shoulder and whispered, gulping down my sobs.

"H-hyojin, agh!" When my birth name left his lips, my lungs drowned. "Hyojin, I'm sorry, I get too sensitive sometimes."

"No, no, Hoseok it's not you who should be saying sorry, it's me. I am the one who was being so insensitive." Lightly, my fingers brushed through his hair. "Where does it hurt?"

"My shoulder." I knew he had to be talking about the one that he had landed on. "Help me."

"Hoseok, I don't want to hurt you anymore than you already are so let me get a phone to call an ambulance." He nodded hesitantly and I leaped up and sprinted up the stairs to grab my phone. "Hi! My friend just fell down the stairs and I don't know what to do!" Desperately, I called the emergency number.

"Hyojin." A soft sound came from down the stairs. "Hyojin, please come back." His lonely voice prickled my heart.

"I'm coming Hopie." Wiping away my warm tears, I went back down the stairs, being careful to not fall myself and land on him. "Don't worry, they will be here soon." Reassuringly, I rubbed his arm and smiled.

"Okay," his pale face lay lifelessly on the tile. He looked dead despite his talking to me. Soon there was a knock at the door, followed by a shout.

"This is the police! Please open the door," the male's voice was stern but gentle. I looked down at Hoseok one more time before getting up and shuffling over to the door. "Hi miss, you called because your friend fell down the stairs, correct?"

"Yes! He's over there." I nodded quickly and pointed to the left and opened the door wider for them to see. The rescue team hurried into my house and crowded around Hoseok. There were many things being mumbled and then everyone started backing away, lifting him on an orange body board. "Where are you going to take him? We have our first day of high school today!"

"Don't worry, we are going to hurry him over to the hospital and fix him up a bit. Then, he is free to go. Will you be able to come with us?" The police officer from before just looked calmly into my eyes. He was an older man, not too old but not young either. He looked like he could be maybe mid 40s, like Hoseok's dad. But this man was gorgeous, he must have been outstanding when he was younger. 

"Well, can I ride in the ambulance?" He chuckled at me slightly and nodded.

"Of course you can. Let's hurry though, so you guys don't miss too much, it will be starting in a few minutes."

"Yes that's right, how did you know that?" The fact that he knew the time our school started was interesting, although I supposed that police officers probably knew when every school started so they could be on the look out.

"My son is going to high school this year, is this your first year at high school?" I nodded timidly. "Yeah same for him. So, I will try my best to get you guys in and out of that hospital as soon as possible. Now hurry because they have already finished loading him into the ambulance." Feeling awkward but reassured, I ran out to the ambulance and hopped in.

We arrived at the hospital and I was forced to sit out in the waiting room and call his parents. They weren't happy about what had happened but then it turned into an argument between each other so I hung up. 

"Hyojin?" Hoseok's warming voice filled my ears.

"Hoseok oppa!" I jumped up from my seat and ran to him.

"Oppa?" He pulled back from the loose but meaningful hug that I had given him, just to give me a weird look. "Since when am I an oppa? I thought you only called straight and cute guys oppa." His eyebrow cocked as he stared straight at me.

"Since I realized that you are just the same," a smile burst on my lips.

"The same? Really?" He couldn't help but crack a smile too. "This means a lot to me Hyojin." He pulled me into a closer hug. "Now let's get to school!" 

"Wait, Hopie, how are you injured?" I stopped him and looked his body up and down.

"Oh. My right shoulder cap is broken. Also, I have a minor concussion." 

"Oh my gosh! All of that because of me?!"

"Well I also injured my ribs but- wait what?! No! It's not because of you. It's my own fault, an accident." I wasn't listening at all, I was busy turning him around and seeing that that was all of his injuries for sure.

"Oh gosh! Hoseok what can I get for you? Do you want any food? Drink? Clothes? I'll get anything. I'll do anything." Laughter filled the air behind us.

"Do you guys need a ride to school?" The nice policeman from earlier came up to us.

"Yes please. Do you guys provide wheelchairs? I think I should get him one." My words were 90 miles per hour. 

"What the hell Hyojin, I can walk!" Hoseok whined childishly to me.

"Haha you kids are too silly. Well, Hyojin, you can pick a wheelchair up from over there but he doesn't seem to need it." 

"Yeah see?! I'm fine, okay? Geez~" His natural sassiness broke through again and I knew that he was feeling better. I stuck my tongue out, put my hands on my hips and stomped towards the automatic doors when I realized that I didn't know where exactly I needed to go in order to go with the officer. "Hyojin! Where are you going?" Hoseok called out to me and I turned to see that he was now walking away with the officer. Quickly, I ran after, trying to catch up. "Try to keep up, will yah?" Hoseok hit me on the shoulder teasingly. 

"You're a jerk," I said, crossing my arms and looking away. I snuck a peek at his face and saw him looking straight forward with a smile smeared across his still pale face.

"Petalfly, do you think I look more manly or just awkward with this sling?" Hoseok gestured to his navy sling that held his right arm in a bent position. 

"Hopie, you look amazing, as always." I showed him some teeth and looked away, feeling his content stare on my side.

"So what are your names?" The officer leading the way turned around.

"Oh I'm Hoseok and this here is none other than the clumsy idiot, Hyojin." That earned him a smack on the arm from me.

"Nice names, my son goes to the same school, maybe you'll see him." He must have known that from reading Hoseok's bio.

"What's his name?"

"His name is-" Suddenly his walkie-talkie burst through, calling him to an emergency. "Understood, I'll be there immediately." He turned to us and looked apologetic, "I have to go but I'll have my friend take you guys." He called through the waiting room and into an office, "Jongup!" A tall and just as handsome man emerged from the office. "Will you please take these two to school? They go to the same one as-" The walkie-talkie broke through again, alerting him that they were in desperate need of back up. "Anyway, they know the way, please them!" He yelled as he jogged off to his original police car.

"Okay kiddos! Let's go to school." The off duty doctor walked towards us, swinging his arms back and forth in a sort of shoeing attempt.

Hoseok and I got into the shiny Mercedes that belonged to the doctor. The doctor made small talk with us and played some of the top kpop songs. Eventually, we got to our school and Jongup, as we were told to call him, unlocked the doors so we could get out. He followed us and went straight to the main office to inform them of Hoseok's condition and explained to them why we were late. Then, we were each escorted to our seperate classes by a dean. We had missed almost half of the day, it was already 12:45.

"Hyojin!" At lunch I heard my name be called out. "Hyojin!" I turned to see Kyungmi running up to me.

"Oh hi Kyungmi." I forced myself to smile for Namjoon's sake.

"Why don't we eat together?" She smiled but it was a smile I didn't want to see.

"Yeah why don't we." I said through my teeth. We sat down together and started eating. 

"Oh my gosh have you seen that guy?" I looked up from my food to see who she was blabbing about but her next words made my eyes never reach the guy. "He is literally soooo hot. I want to make babies with that man. I'm going to go ask for his number."

I stood up, slamming my hands onto the table, surprising her so much that she fell back into her seat. "How can you say that when you have Namjoon?! You !"

She shrugged arrogantly, filling me to my breaking point. I grabbed my open water bottle and ed it at her, watching the clear liquid run down her angry face.

"We broke up! He is worthless! Did you actually think I would stay with him for that long?" She stood up too and my face burned with rage.

"Namjoon isn't worthless! He's amazing and so devoted to you. I can't even believe you would talk to me after breaking up with him so rudely!"

"How do you know I did it rudely?"

"Well how did you do it?"

"I happened to see him in the coffee shop down the street and he looked so upset that I was talking to another guy so I ignored him. He came up to me and attempted to give me a hug but who freaking wants a hug from him when there are already hotter guys in the high school?! Right?! So I just poured my coffee down his shirt. I told him I hoped he got the message and threw the empty cup at his forehead while leaving the shop," every single cursid word left in a matter of fact tone.

I couldn't get any words to leave my throat so instead, I lifted my hand up and brought it down hard on her cheek. After doing so, I gathered myself enough to speak out, "You ."

With that, I grabbed my things and left, not glancing at the people around us who were staring.

.......

I didn't and I couldn't pay attention to anything the rest of the day. I didn't look at anyone in any of my classes and ignored my name being called multiple times. And eventually, the school day came to an end with a firey flash.

"Namjoon? I know you will listen to this message, you always do. So please call me back, I am worried about you. I heard what happened with Kyungmi, okay? Please call me back," I left a message on Namjoon's phone after calling about fifty times.

I laid in my bed and looked at the ceiling, cursing at myself for the things I'd done today. Quite the first day of school that was.

 

_________

Ello! Any advice or comments?