Day before

Bulletproof High School

A/N: So since I don't know how old all of you are, I'll just give a small warning that there are some bad words throughout this story.

 

"Argh! Calm down!" I rushed around my room, clutching my hair and attempting to calm my nerves. "Tomorrow, you'll be starting your first day at high school! You have to be grown up!" Anxiety caused my mumbles to myself. Suddenly the doorbell rang. I was expecting someone but the sound still made me flinch. 

"Hoseok!" After running down the stairs, stumbling slightly but recovering quickly, I had whipped open my front door to reveal my best friend. He's a handsome guy and he gives absolutely the best advice. I love him so much.

"Hey! Sorry it took me so long petalfly," Petalfly is my nickname because he says I am very delicate and that petals and butterflies are delicate so he just combined them. "I was with Namjoon and he was having a complete break down. I hope you don't mind that I invited him to the movie we are going to later tonight. I figured it would make him feel better and take his mind off things for a while." Namjoon is a friend of ours, his girlfriend and he had a fight and Namjoon is a sensitive guy so he got very worked up about it. 

"Is Kyungmi still acting up?" Kyungmi, she's a girl with a gorgeous body but personally, I think she is a . She just wants Namjoon for popularity and attention. She is a drama queen and makes a scene out of everything and somehow, she gets everything she wants. Namjoon was most popular at our old school but now is high school and he says that he hopes he isn't very popular. But of course, I know he will at least be well known, he is extremely attractive.

"Yeah she won't answer his calls and he is blaming everything on himself. But enough of him, how are you doing?" The subject suddenly had turned to me. 

"Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm so anxious about high school! Hoseok, you'll always watch my back, right? I hope I can rely on you." 

"Of course you can, petalfly. I will of course always help you out, who would be better at it?" He chuckled lightly, causing me to laugh as well. His laughs make me laugh too, he's my vitamin. 

"Good. So want to help me with what you do best?"

"Which best? I have many things I'm best at." Hoseok smirked at me, cockiness glinting in his eyes.

"Haha the one with fashion! I have no clue what to wear tomorrow! I don't want to look too... too..." The word was on the tip of my tongue but I just couldn't seem to figure it out.

"ty?" 

"Yeah, ty. But I don't want too relaxed like a... a uh..." Again, I couldn't find the words.

"A crackhead?" Hoseok jumped in to help me out again.

"Yeah, a crackhead. And I also don't want to look too fancy like-" This time, I don't think I really needed his help but he cut in anyway.

An amused smile crept up his face. "Let me guess, like a princess?" 

"Yes, like a princess. So please come help me find the perfect outfit, will you?" He nodded and followed me as I led us up my stairs, almost missing a step and tripping again, but I grabbed hold of the railing just fast enough not to fall.

"All right, let's see what you've got. Did you buy anything new since your competition?" Hoseok is always helping me with outfits so he knows my wardrobe well. The last time he helped me was when I was having a dance competition and I needed something flashy but not too showy. 

"No, of course not. I only really shop with you because you always pick the best things. And also, you are way more honest than any of my other friends like Jinhee or Sujin. They just smile and nod unless it is really horrible. But you, you are amazing. Always making me look my best." He really does, any time I'm not feeling well or I am just being lazy, he fixes something up to make me look better. One time when I had a cold, but of course still had to go to school, he did my hair nicely and put some make up on my nose to make it look less red. 

"That's right, I'm the best." Suddenly he broke out into song and started singing 2NE1's I am the best, "Naega jaeil jalnaga." Fits of laughter escaped my mouth as I clutched my stomach because it hurt from laughing so much. 

"Well that is my ringtone for you anyway!" We both laughed and then got straight back to the matter at hand.

"Okay so try these shorts on with this top." Hoseok handed me a pair of white jean shorts and a pink top that says Music in black. Even though Hoseok wouldn’t care if I had stripped right there on the spot, I went behind my door and quickly changed. 

"Tada~!" I popped out from behind the door and twirled around to see what he thought. 

"Waaah! I really am amazing!" He snickered and when I glared at him, he stopped, "I mean, girl~ you are working that outfit so well!"

"Haha since when do you talk like that?" His street-talk made me smile.

"Since always haha." He's always making me laugh. "Okay so now are you less stressed?"

"Yeah I think I'm at least ten percent better."

"Only ten!? What? It should be at least thirty! All you need to worry about is getting a good outfit, having your backpack all packed, snacks for your favorite person in the world, and getting to all your classes on time." Hoseok stared at me with a dumbfounded look on his face.

"But it's more important when it comes to doing actual school things! I'm more nervous for that. And who exactly is this 'favorite person in the world' of mine?"

His face contorted into an unhappy pout. "It's me of course! Wow I guess you must have found another best friend." Hoseok sighed and played up his hurt act which got to me every time.

"Okay, okay, you are my most favorite person in the world and just so you know, I could never get a better best friend."

His puppy eyes lifted up from looking at the ground to triumphantly look me in the eyes. "So you will bring snacks for me then?" He looked at me hopefully.

"Yeah maybe." 

"Only maybe?! Wow you are really putting me down today!" Hoseok tried to act serious but when we made eye contact once again, we both couldn't help but burst into snickers.

Once we had finally stopped making fun of each other and were able to catch our breath, he started talking again. "Haha okay so are we ready to go tk eat before it's time for the movie?"

"Yeah sure, where do you want to eat?" My hands held my knees up to my chest.

"Well let's see, maybe-"

"Hey is Namjoon going to be joining us?" I had cut into his sentence when something came to mind.

"Wow, first of all, rude. Second of all, I don't know, I'll have to ask." Hoseok slipped his phone out of his pocket in the sassiest way possible. I just sat on the floor, with him lying next to me, watching as he talked on the phone.

"So? Is he coming or what?" Impatience fogged my voice. 

"Yes he's going to meet us at that really good pizza place that we went to with he and Kyungmi before. Is that okay with you?" I could tell that Hoseok was speaking very sarcastically. 

"No it's not okay. I absolutely don't want to go there." I looked at him seriously, trying very hard not to crack a smile.

"Okay well fine then, why don't you call him yourself!" Hoseok looked genuinely angry with me as he threw his cell phone on the ground and got up, walking away in a huff.

"Wait! Hos-" I just trailed off in the end when I realized he was already gone. Bewildered, I just left his phone there and followed after him. He very rarely got angry with me so I was feeling far too responsible. 

I searched around a bit and found him in the kitchen, sitting on a stool. One light was on above him and his hands were covering his face while he rested his head in them. For a little while, I just stood there, taking in the scene before me. Hoseok is always just a happy guy, my happy virus. But now he was sitting in a way that he never did. Did my little teasing joke trigger this? Carefully, I approached him, not really knowing what to say to him when he is like this. He is always helping me feel better when I am feeling down but I didn't know how to help him since he never is like this, or at least not around me.

"H-Hoseok?" Once I was up close to him, he turned his head just enough to indicate to me that he was listening. "What's wrong Hopie?" Hopie is my little nickname for him because he is always bringing me, and others, hope. He didn't respond to my question so I just sat down next to him on another stool. "Hopie? Did I make you upset? I was just messing around, I didn't really mean it." He still wouldn't look at me and I was beginning to feel helpless, "Hopie, can't you tell me what's bothering you? You are always helping me when I am upset, so can't I help you? You just have to open up to someone."

"No I don't! I don't have to tell anyone anything!" His voice was wavering and beginning to thin.

"Hopie-"

"Stop calling me that! I don't have any hope okay?! So just quite it already!" Such an outburst was completely not like him and it was starting to irritate me.

"No you have hope, you just have to let yourself believe in it."

"No! I don't! You don't know anything so stop pretending like you do!" That was it. I had taken as much as I could but he had just pulled the last straw.

"No! You stop! You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself! I only don't really know because you won't talk to me! I know partly though because I have been down before, and you know it! Why can't you just let somebody help you?!" Honestly, I don't think I've ever been angry with Hoseok and that's why he removed his hands from his face to look me in the eyes.

"Petalfly, don't look like that, you'll get wrinkles."

"Who cares! And I'm not as delicate as you think! You are more delicate, I can open up to people but here you are holding it all in. I hate it! This side of you is annoying, I thought I could repay you for always helping me out but now you are just closing yourself behind anger." My cheeks were red with rage and I could feel the blood boiling to the surface.

"Okay, okay, it's just that I.... I am afraid and unhappy. For some reason, the words you said before, reminded me of my parents fighting. And I shouldn't have snapped at you like that because you are my friend and-" My voice cut his off from the rambles that left his mouth.

"Wait, what's wrong with your parents? Are they fighting again? I thought they were all better! They seemed just fine the last time I came over to your house..." All that I could imagine was when I went over to their house and they were all smiles and lovey dovey.

"That was a month ago! You haven't been over since and for good reason too." He was right, I hadn't been to his house in a while. Any time we were supposed to go to his house, he would instead take us to a movie or an icecream shop. That was him avoiding home and I didn't even know it.

"So they are back at it again? And is that why we could never hang out at your house? Hoseok, why didn't you just tell me?" My eyes that were burning with anger, suddenly cooled and softened when I looked to my best friend.

"I didn't know how to. You just open up to me when I say the right things but I don't know what you could say to make me do that easily. They fight all the time and I even saw a paper in my dad's drawer..." His face was back to hiding in his hands.

"What was the paper Hopie?"

​"Divorce papers."

"Aaw Hopie, I didn't know you were suffering through this alone. Maybe you told Namjoon though..."

"I didn't tell him, he is already in the worst emotional state ever." He looked up at me with sad eyes. They were eyes that could make a person's heart feel like it was getting stabbed over and over again, "I just, I need you."

"Uhm since when have you needed me over a man?" I looked at him, smirking a little.

"You know what I mean. I need you for support because I am most comfortable with you. Guys make my heart pound, but you, you make my heart stop." My eyes looked at him strangely and I made a face.

"Hoseok, I'm not sure that's a good thing. I don't want you to die on me."

"You are stupid. I mean that you make me want to be happy always and you clear my head." His voice was weak but still had so much sass in it.

"Well then couldn't you have just said that I make your mind cleared?" We both giggled a little. "Do you want a hug?" 

"No." No? Funny, he always is welcome to hugs, I know he'll want it.

"Yeah you do." I knew he did but he just wasn't going to say anything, trying to be a tough guy. So I allowed my arms to gently wrap around his worn out body and I pulled him close to me. "Are you ready to go to the pizza place yet?" My voice broke the silence after a couple of minutes of just sitting there, his body resting against my chest as my hands along his back.

"Yeah, thanks for that, it helped." We smiled at each other and then we were off. The pizza was great and Namjoon and Hoseok were able to take their minds off the problems at hand. I could too, I was able to ignore the fact that school was tomorrow. We laughed a lot and we even really enjoyed the movie. I stopped over at Hoseok's house to ask his parents if he was allowed to stay over at my house since I wanted him to not be stressed about anything like divorce when he already has to worry about school. His parents agreed to let him sleep over and he just quickly got his things for school tomorrow and then we went to my house. The fun all ended at 10:00 pm when we decided to go to bed, well we didn't really decide we both just kind of fell asleep while watching a drama on TV.

Everything was all fun and games but tomorrow, it would all end, when school started... High school.

 

____________________

What's up! It's been fun writing this so far, I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it!

Tell me your thoughts in the comments!... or don't T.T