Sehun plus one

He's my 'boyfriend'

It all started with one phone call, a phone call from his mum to be exact. Since starting university and deciding to stay at the dorms rather than commute in during morning rush hour every day, Sehun's mum had taken it upon herself to call her son every single night. If she wasn't able to do that it was every two nights; always asking the same questions, always getting the same answers, and always managing to get on Sehun's nerves one way or another. 

Sehun knew his mum meant well- it was her job to worry about him even as he entered adulthood. The only annoying thing about that though was was that the distance between the university and his home was minute. Seoul's a big city he'll give it that and having to travel through constantly busy traffic is a nightmare, but if his mum was that concerned for his wellbeing she could just take a train or catch a bus to meet him. That way they had longer to chat and it saved a lot of battery life for Sehun's phone. 

"Now Sehun" his mum begins after the usual round of typically asked questions "As you know your brother's engagement party is coming up-" 

"Wait, Sejoon's engaged?" Sehun interrupt, genuinely surprised to hear this. He knew his brother had been with this girl- Jiyeon- for two or three years now, but he never thought his brother would want to settle this quickly at his age. Getting over his momentary shock, hearing the sigh from the other end of the line indicates that maybe that wasn't the best thing to come out with. 

"Yes, yes he is. Come on Sehun I distinctly remember telling you about the engagement weeks ago. I even sent an invite!" 

"Okay, maybe you did, but in my defence I was stressed out and studying for some exams my teachers decided to throw in at the last minute" Sehun explains, shuddering at the memory of sleepless nights spent with Baekhyun trying to get in last minute revision sessions before the actual day. 

"Anyway" his mum says and Sehun shuts up to let her continue "I've sent you an invitation and I would really like to hear back soon whether you can make it or not" 

The invitation had arrived like his mum had told him, but Sehun had been so preoccupied he just dumped it on the side and completely forgot about it. Right as he was speaking to her, he was sifting through discarded clothes and revision posters- which he really needed to hang up at some point- trying to look for the damn thing. 

"I would really like to come, he is my brother after all, but I'll have to check and get back to you. I may have an impending deadline for an essay or other important plans coming up which I may not be able to ignore" he replies and silently cheers to himself when he saw the envelope he was sure contained the invitation. 

"Well I hate to be pushy but I need to know as possible please Sehun. I have to get in numbers, find out just how much food we'll need, come on!" his mum pushes and after reassuring her he would check his diary and get back to her as soon as he could did she finally say goodbye and hang up. 

Checked the invite, Sehun cursed when he saw just why his mum was pushing him to get back to her as soon as he could. He should have read the stupid thing when it first arrived because the party was this Saturday and that meant Sehun had exactly four days to check if he was up to date with everything, call her to tell him if he could come, and then find times for the buses he could take to get home for preferably either Friday evening or Saturday morning. 

That wasn't all, going over the invite again to make sure he got the exact date right, something caught his eye. He should have known his mum would do something like this and it only made the frustration increase within him as he scrunched up the invitation slightly, making a mental note that the next time he spoke to her, Sehun was going to have a serious chat with her! 

 

 

"I don't see what the problem is" Baekhyun says the next morning he, Luhan and Jongin look up from the, slightly crumpled, invitation Sehun had smacked down in front of them over breakfast. 

"Really? It's right there in front of you!" Sehun exclaimed and the three of them look back down to try and see what he was talking about, but they could find nothing. 

"What we do see is an invitation inviting you to brother' s engagement party, but that's it really" Luhan replies but that's not the correct response as Sehun groans and leans forward to point to what he was taling about 

"It's right there! It says Sehun plus one"
"Oh! We saw that, but what's wrong with that? It's just implying that you can bring someone with you if you wanted to" Jongin asks and Sehun with all his might fights to stop his forehead from smacking onto the table. 

"My mum put it there deliberately. All summer leading up to starting here all she couldn't stop going on about was how I would make new friends and find a partner. Every phone call I get is "Oh have you found somebody yet?" or "Will I be hearing about a special someone anytime soon?"" 

"What's wrong with that? She just wants what's best for you" Baekhyun asks 

"It's annoying! Like, yeah, I'm the only openly biual in the family and I couldn't thank her and dad enough for reacting so well, but I swear to God she's got it planted in her head that because I like both guys and girls I have a better chance at finding someone to date" Sehun explains 

"So just call her up and tell her you're not bringing anybody because you haven't found anybody" Baekhyun suggests and earns nods from Jongin and Luhan. 

"But that'll make her fuss even more!" Sehun shrieks "You know what she's like, she'll just start fussing even more especially af- no, I'm going to call her later on and ask her just what the hell she was thinking. That's what I'll do" and with that he picks up the invitation and walks back to him room muttering his plan to himself, leaving three very confused friends in his trail who decided to just leave him be and get back to finishing their breakfasts before morning lectures began. 

 

 

Ringing his mum that evening, it was not surprising that she picks up after the first dial, greeting Sehun happily and asking him if he had checked to see if he was able to come. 

"Plus one, really?" Sehun asks, throwing his mum off momentarily before she replies 

"Well yes, I thought it wouldn't hurt for you to bring somebody along" his mum replies and Sehun knew exactly what she was implying even if she was pretending to play dumb. 

Why? Why does Sehun have to put up with this? Sure, his mum meant well, but that doesn't mean that within the first couple of months of starting university he was going to go out looking for somebody. He didn't see why his mum expected him to land somebody so quickly; these things take time and even if he was seeing somebody, it would be too soon to introduce them to the whole family. In the meantime his mum's persistance was mounting up even more anger within Sehun and if she didn't stop soon he was probably going to end up saying something he was going to regret.

"Mum" he groans "How many times do I have to tell you I'm currently not looking for anybody?" 

"Oh stop fussing Sehun, it was nothing harmful was it? I just thought of putting it down because I just thought you would have somebody" his mum says 

"Well even if I did, it would be too soon to introduce them to the whole family" Sehun counters and his mum starts going on about whether Sehun was maybe trying to hint to her he did have somebody but wanted to keep it a secret. 

"Why are you so obsessed with me having a partner?" he asks 

"I just thought with your brother settling down and you getting on with age, maybe it was time you started seeing people, getting experience" his mum explains and all Sehun can do is sigh. 

"I'm not even twenty and you're already talking about me settling down" he whines and takes deep breaths in and out to try and calm himself down and not snap at his mum 

"I'm only doing it in your best interests honey. I don't want you lurking about feeling lonely all night and just thought if you had someone with you-" 

"I won't be alone!" Sehun interrupts, finally reaching his bursting point. Instead of replying that he wouldn't be alone because he would be around family for the night, Sehun says something completely different and was beginning to regret it the minute it left his mouth "I won't be alone becaue I'll be with my boyfriend!" 

Sehun can hear a gasp, he's not sure whether it comes from him or his mum who is just as equally shocked as he is. The minute he says it all Sehun can think about is how much of an idiot he is and that there is no way he is backing out now. 

"You do have a boyfriend?" his mum squeals and Sehun sighs before agreeing that yes he has a totally non-existent boyfriend. If it shuts her up and keeps her happy. 

"Oh why didn't you tell me straight away?" his mum asks 
"Because I just think it's too soon to be introducing him to everyone we've only started dating" Sehun replies and with every word he speaks he's just digging himself into a deeper grave. 

"Oh don't be so silly! What better chance is there to introduce him anyway? So, can I put him down as an extra guest?" and Sehun agrees that she can put him down as an extra guest, ending the call with his mum saying she couldn't wait to meet him. 

As soon as he hangs up, Sehun sends out a mass text to his friends telling them to get their asses into the room because he has seriously screwed up and needs their help. Waiting for the calvery to arrive, Sehun flops down onto his bed and starts groaning in what could easily turn into tears. He's really done it now, and he's not sure how he's going to get out of it this time... 


Ah I can already feel that this is going to be fun to write... 

Hello! Welcome! 

So next chapter is going to be more of Sehun realising how screwed he is and having his awesomely amazing friend Luhan coming to the rescue so that he doesn't have to suffer alone. 

Until then!!