The real thing

He's my 'boyfriend'

Whilst Sehun may be a person who exudes confidence and has a pretty easy time getting to know people and making friends quickly, if thrown into a situation he's going to inevitably be uncomfortable with, he becomes a completely different guy.

The idea of being the best man at his brother's wedding had excited him at first. To have his brother trust him with such a responsibility made Sehun feel honoured. The fact that his brother felt closer to him to bestow this role on Sehun rather than close friends of his- which included Minseok- meant a lot to Sehun and he was determined to get this role cracked and perfect by the day of the wedding.

Being the best man was a lot easier than Sehun had thought. From the wedding rehearsal, all he had to do was give out the rings when asked to do so. He let his mum and soon to be sister-in-law fuss over what suit he would wear for the day. All Sehun had to do himself was get through the remaining year of university and somewhere along the line- with his friend's help- write a best man speech, it wasn't that hard... Until the actual day of the wedding arrives and the nearer it gets to giving his speech does he realise that maybe he made a huge mistake in taking the best man role in the first place...

"I can't do this" he says "I really don't think I can do this"

Family and guests alike were coming to the end of the meal as served by the venue that the wedding had been hosted at. Sehun sits at the main table; his brother and new wife in the centre, his parents are sitting on his left and to the right he has Luhan reaching out to give his thigh a reassuring squeeze.

"You'll be fine, Sehun" he reassures "We've rehearsed this plenty of time alone and in front of Jongin and Baekhyun, you've got this"

Luhan tries his best to reassure Sehun that it will be fine. He knows that Sehun is only working himself up- he's been doing so in the weeks leading up the wedding when it had finally hit him he was going to have to do a speech in a crowded dining hall full of other guests- and it's only going to get a lot worse if Luhan doesn't calm him down enough by the time he gives his speech.

"I think I'm gonna be sick" Sehun mutters as Luhan takes his hand and squeezes it

"You're not. You're going to take a few deep breaths in, count to ten, and keep reminding yourself that you will be absolutely fine. I'm right here, your parents are here, and we all know that your speech is going to blow everybody away and be the best speech in all of best man speeches to have ever existed"

Sehun takes the time he needs to exactly as Luhan had said and takes a few deep breaths in. He ignores his mum's comment that he should really be making a move sometime soon if he's going to make his speech. He allows himself the time to calm down before he deems himself ready to deliver the speech.

"I can do this" he says to himself and turns to Luhan to give him one last smile "Wish me luck" before he gets up and silences everyone by tapping a spoon against his glass cup. As the hall descends into silence and everyone turns to stare at him. Taking one final deep breath in, Sehun smiles at his 'audience' and sets his note cards out in front of him.

"Um, hi, everybody" he begins "For those who don't know me I'm Sejoon's younger brother and best man Sehun. I thought being the best man would be pretty cool you know? I've watched a few films in my lifetime which have shown me just how fun it could be... but then finding out I had to do this speech I just have this to say to Sejoon; you've probably picked the worst person to do this right now. I am in no way funny, good at telling stories nor am I going to make anybody cry" he continues and sticks his thumbs up "Good job buddy!"

At that, Sehun contradicts his previous statement when people in the room begin to laugh. Taking this temporary surprise as an extra chance to calm himself down, Sehun quickly glances over to Luhan who shoots him a thumbs up before he turns back to everybody else and beings his speech.

 

 

"Told you your speech was good" Luhan says later that evening, guests still coming up to Sehun to congratulate him on his earlier speech. Though he had doubts as to whether his speech would be good enough, Sehun had fully surpassed what he had expected; the guests and his family alike all seemed to enjoy his speech, particularly finding it funny when Sehun proclaimed that he had grown so close to his now sister-in-law that if Sejoon ever did anything to hurt her, Sehun proclaimed that he would have to hunt him down and teach him a lesson. What surprised Sehun the most however was how everybody cried by the end of the speech and his brother was close to crying to when he brought Sehun in for a hug- his brother never cried!

"If Jongin or Baekhyun ever get married, you can be their best man if I'm asked. I refuse to do anything like this again" Sehun replies, making Luhan laugh and nudge him before he reaches out for his hand.

With the evening party in full swing, even more guests begin to enter the venue, including Baekhyun, Jongin, and Jongin's date Kyungsoo; the co-worker he finally managed to work up the courage to ask out after so long of whining to the others about how cute Jongin had found him. Finding where Sehun and Luhan were, Baekhyun nudges Jongin and the three of them make their grad entrance just as Sehun was leaning in for a kiss.

Baekhyun and Jongin had decided to have their fun with Sehun and Luhan for a while. It took Sehun a while to get his head sorted, but it wasn't long until he was asking Luhan out on dates and the two of them officially began dating. Their friends had figured it out almost immediately, that, and it was pretty obvious when two of your friends sat next to each other a lot closer than they would have originally and were caught stealing glances at each other and smiling almost every other day. Sehun and Luhan didn't figure it out until one evening after Sehun was finally introduced to Luhan's father over video call (awkward on so many counts) when the two of them exited Luhan's room to find Jongin and Baekhyun leaning against the wall across from them smirking.

"So?" Jongin had asked "When did you two begin dating?"

Now they're so used to it, they don't bat an eyelid when they interrupt their kiss and Sehun groans as they walk over

"Did they like your speech?" Baekhyun asks

"He had the whole place crying by the end" Luhan replies and after crying himself just from hearing Sehun's original draft, Baekhyun's happy to know he's now not the only one.

Sehun excuses himself from the conversation when he catches Minseok across the hall chatting to his brother. After the engagement party, Sehun made sure that he kept in regular contact with the guy, though this was the first time he would see Minseok face to face in a while.

"Well, well Sehun, I never thought you had it in you to make a speech like that" Minseok jokes and the two of them quickly fall into a comfortable conversation, catching up wherever they need to.

"I told my parents, about being gay and about Jongdae" Minseok eventually says

"Really? How did it go?" Sehun asks and seeing how Minseok's expression immediately drops, rushes to say that he doesn't have to tell him, but Minseok shakes his head and smiles sadly before speaking again

"It didn't really go well" is all he says "But hey! It's like you said; I have friends who are amazing and are really great at supporting me right now, some family members who have stepped up as well and, most importantly, I have Jongdae. If you think about it, I'm actually coping better than what I thought I would have"

It's during their conversation that Jongdae is finally introduced to Sehun who is willing to be very honest and say that Jongdae is indeed a very attractive man, though he does bare a striking resemblance to a cat. Sehun also takes great joy in telling Jongdae a few embarrassing stories about Minseok from their childhood and throughout their meeting one thing is evident throughout; just how much one of them can gaze at the other, and it's so obvious to Sehun that they both adore each other and he's more than happy knowing that Minseok is indeed with the best guy at this moment in his life...

 

 

"Dance with me?"

Luhan doesn't need to be asked twice, instantly taking Sehun's hand and following him out onto the dancefloor. The stark contrast between this dance and their first dance at the engagement party is that this time Sehun is neither afraid nor shy to be seen dacing with Luhan, even going so far as to quickly twirl him under his arm before they settle on a spot and begin to dance like other couples at present.

"Tonight's been fun" Luhan says, head resting against Sehun's shoulder and this time he doesn't freeze or begin to internally freak out

"Makes a nice change from exams and stress" Sehun replies earning a grunt from Luhan who doesn't want to even remember the nightmare that was the previous month of final exams.

Settling into a comfortable routine, Sehun uses this opportunity to look around and see how other guests are spending this time. Jongin's managed to drag and very reluctant Kyungsoo out onto the dancefloor, teaching him the basics of how to slow dance. Baekhyun's found Chanyeol and the two of them are currently chatting and laughing amongst themselves, behind them Jongdae and Minseok sit at their table completely lost in their own world. Sehun's parents are dancing nearby and at the centre of it all his brother and his new wife share one of the many dances they've had together that evening.

Of course, Sehun doesn't forget about what he has for himself and as he looks down, Luhan looks up and for once Sehun is neither embarrassed nor afraid to lean in and kiss him. Yep. It's been a pretty good year for him so far...