Chapter 4: Please Take Me In

How Can You Still Be So Cute?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tao ran into the building and slipped into the back of the school fences, hoping no one was watching. Coasts were clear; Tao climbed over the stone wall and jumps to the other side. "Okay, he's not there.." he muttered, running off to the opposite direction of where the academy stands.

 

------

 

"Suho, it's getting late. Maybe we should just head back home..." Luhan whined, clinging onto Suho as they explored the school grounds, searching for Tao. "Hurry up, Tao probably left already. Ne?" "Yeah..." Suho checked one last corner before heading home, worried out of his mind. Memories of Tao back then flash before him, leaving him teary eyed.

***

"Suho-gege. You're too worrisome, I'll be alright."

"Are you absolutely sure?!"

"Mm.. Yeah!"

"You paused right there, Taozi. I'm worried for you."

"You always are! Don't worry, Suho-gege. What are you, my mom? Haha, Mama-gege!"

"Haha, I guess. But I'll remind you that I'm a boy, Taozi."

"Whatever! Does it matter?"

"I guess not..."

 

***

 

"Suho! What are you, a baby? Let's hurry up and go home already!" Luhan dragged Suho through the dark corridors and gates, Suho muttering, "No... just a worrisome 'mother'..." as they disappeared through the night, only a single flashlight guiding their way.

-----

Next day...

 

"TAO! Where the hell did you go yesterday? Suho was worried sick," Luhan exclaimed, scolding the poor boy. "I-I'm sorry... there was something.... that I needed to do afterschool. Please... I'm sorry." The older sighs, flicking the younger one's forehead. "Fine... if you insist." Tao's face brightens, hugging the older for the barely dodged punishment. Although Luhan was swooned over by the younger's actions, that incident didn't slip out of his mind one bit. He kept a closer eye on Tao, watching the boy's every move. He was not going to go on another night search in the dark, at school. Hell no. Tao drank from his water bottle, finishing the last drop. He shook the bottle, checking for any leftovers.

"Oh, I ran out of water. Gonna refill okay?"

"Okay, just hurry back quickly."

Tao scurried off through the halls, looking for the water fountain while Luhan set up a secret meeting with the others while the younger was away. "Ever since we reunited with Tao, our little panda was acting... strange as of late. Sh--I mean, he wasn't like this before. He was a lot more open with us, but now... there has been this line in between us. Taozi... he's hiding something from us, and gotta get to the bottom of this. You with me?!" Everyone cheered, ready to put Plan AB Panda into action.

Tao came back with a full bottle of water, wondering what all the fuss was about. Like Tao, they were acting strange too. Taozi shrugged it off, since he had more serious matters to deal with...

 

Afterschool...

 

They were walking back home, but Tao didn't try to run off this time. He was acting usually... normal? The group splitted from Tao at the entrance, Taozi heading left while the others went right. As Tao advanced to his destination, something felt off. He started sweating buckets, fear overcoming him. He sensed a presense trailing him, his eyes swatting back and forth. Who is it, he thought, a sweat drop trickling down the side of his face. Is it him? Oh gawd, I hope it isn't...

It's all or nothing.

"Who is it? If you d-don't come out, I'm not afraid to wushu your back to China, you bastard! J-Just leave me alone!"

The figure swoops out of the bushes, surprised of what he said.

"T-tao? It's just me..."

"Xiu-gege?! Why were you following me?"

Tao sighs in relief. Relief that it wasn't him. It was just Xiumin.

"We were worried about you since yesterday. You've been acting strange lately, so they asked me to... you know, spy on you and make sure you go home safely."

"O-Oh... that's it? I'm sorry for making you worried."

Tao blushed, his eyes tearing from all the emotions that were stirring up in him a few minutes ago. Fear. Anxiety. Relief. Happiness. It was all rushing back to him. Xiumin ran to his side, comforting the younger, hugging him while patting his back and cooing in his ear.

"So? What's been up with you lately. I never seen you cuss before. W-Who was him?"

Tao gulped, the conversation that he never wanted to come to life, but now. Not so much. He wanted to pour out his feelings to them, telling him what happened to him ever since they left him behind. But... he didn't want to put them in danger. That was least he ever wanted. Xiumin understood the younger didn't want to spill the beans, nodding his head and saying it's alright.

"But Xi-"

"I said it's alright. How 'bout I just you back home safely, Taozi? I'll be your knight in shining armor for the day, ne?"

Tao simply nodded, but then came to a realization. Oh crap.

He stopped moving as rain started to drizzle on their blazers, Xiumin asking what's the matter. Tao sunk his head, realizing one thing.

"I-I..."

"You...?"

Tao turned beet red, looking to the side as his stomach growled.

"I'm a wanderer..." he muttered, the other not catching what he said.

"Hmm? Didn't hear you."

"OKAY! I D-DON'T HAVE A PLACE TO STAY AT R-RIGHT NOW!"

".... eh? So you're... homeless?"

Tao widened his eyes, tracing his fingers. He looked down, nodding slightly. Xiumin was shocked--no that would be an understandment. He was devastated that his little Taozi had to sleep in the cold, dead floor ever since his flight to Korea. It was unacceptable to Xiumin that the person that allowed him to fly here didn't even lend cash for living purposes. Unforgivable!

"If you're here, then wouldn't that mean your guardian or foster parent lent you money to live on? I mean, how could a child survive on their own for seven years? Ridiculous!"

"..."

"Tao?"

"Uh, y-yeah! You're right. I was just s-stupid to spend all my money on snacks. Haha..."

"...Sure..?"

"I mean, I kinda lost all my money after I came here. S-Stupid me! Hahaa!"

Tao nervously chuckled, feeling guilty for lying to Xiumin. He was more concerned about Xiumin now then himself, hoping he wasn't watching right now.

"If you don't have a place to stay at right now, you c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter