The Unknown Guy

Against all Odds

II


I woke up and I wish I didn't, I was dreaming about my dream to travel to Europe with my parents, we were having fun, taking photos of the huge buildings and vintage streets, eating their street foods just like what I've always wanted. "Oh well, now it will really happe-" I got up excitedly, and stopped. There was no purple ceiling decorated with stars, no pictures on the wall, no balcony, my favorite Mr. panda bear wasn't  sitting beside me, I looked around again, it was totally a different place, I was lying in a huge black bed with white linings, walls were painted white, undecorated. It was cold and lifeless, It wasn't really home. 

And that moment it suddenly hit me, my worst nightmare. I broke down, screamed, my whole body was shaking again, it was vividly clear, it started to replay inside my head. "No!! It didn't happen! That was all a dream- Mom!! Dad!!" I got out of the bed but my knees gave in and my body fell down the floor. I cried, helplessly calling my mom and dad. 

The door opened, and a guy rushed over me and scooped my body, he laid me back on the bed, I took all my strength and pushed him, "Who are you?!" There was no power left in me, "Did you drug me?! Where's my parents?!" I yelled. He didn't answer, he just stood there, then his hand moved closer to me. 

I closed my eyes and waited. He will kill me just like they planned. Those seconds my eyes were shut felt like years, he wasn't moving, I don't feel anything. I felt something warm on my forehead, When I opened my eyes, his palm was on my forehead, and his golden brown eyes met mine, It felt like it was staring right through me, his hair was pitch-black matching his pale face, pointed nose and his lips tinged with red. "You have a fever." He said. That calm voice sounded familiar.

He was the guy who called on the phone, the one my mother talked about. "Wheres my parents? What happened?" I weakly asked. He shook his head and turn his eyes away. My tears started to fall again, slowly, painfully. And it hit me, that night really happened, they're gone, for real. 

 

The following days was just misery and pain, I didn't get peace, even when I sleep, all I get were nightmares, dreams that makes me feel paralyzed when I wake up. I have no appetite, that guy kept on trying but I kept on pushing him away, I felt tired, sick. Sometimes, I get this hallucinations, I can hear my parents, I can hear them calling out my name, but they were not really there. And I remembered how wonderful my life was, where I enjoy all the big and small things in Life, I've been a good child, I thought about what went wrong or what have I done wrong for this to happen, that thought that keeps on bothering my head.

I noticed something shiny behind the curtains, there was a bit of light trying to glimpse, I moved it slowly, and I wasn't expecting the view that welcomed me. It was breathtaking, It was on top of a hill, where you can see the ocean meeting the city, I was in awe. I can hear footsteps behind me but I couldn't remove my eyes from that scene.  "I was waiting for you to open it." He said from behind. 

"It's....beautiful." I said. "That's an understatement." He replied. "Is that Seoul? or we're in Europe?" I asked,  he didn't answer. "Come, I'll show you." he took my hand and pulled me outside, that was the first time I stepped out of the room, It was the exact opposite of the room, it was future style, white walls, black and red decorations, a red furry carpet and a huge flat screen, and beautiful blue flowers in vases. It was a beautiful flower, I have never seen one like that. It was quiet, like everything was untouched, new. I looked at his back facing me as he pulled me towards nowhere. We came out of the house, and I was amazed even more.

I can feel the cool ocean breeze caressing my skin, it felt nice, the view was unimaginable, With closed eyes, I spoke on my mind, "Mom, Dad, I hope you're fine wherever you are." a tear fell from my eye. I started shedding tears again. "I hate this life. I wish I died that night." I said. "Is that your way of saying thank you?" He said. "Why-why do you even saved me?!" I asked angrily.

"I have to, it was my job." He answered. Job? "What are you some sort of superhero or something?! Because you know what, you shouldn't have bothered going there, I think I would be happier now."  He didn't look at me, he just stared at nowhere, and stepped away, without saying anything. 

I went back to the room all by myself,I didn't see him around, maybe he went somewhere. I looked around the house, it was incredibly huge, and there was no people except him. "Don't tell me he lives here alone." Finally there was a picture frame on the living room, there were no pictures so I felt relieved there was one. It was picture of a little boy and a mom and dad, so this was him when he's young, they must be his parents. My chest was starting to hurt again, I remembered my family, now are just in my memories. 

The night came and I still haven't seen him, did he leave me alone here? Suddenly I smelled food being cooked somewhere, it made me hungry. I walked around and arrived at the back of the house, I saw him cooking something and he's wearing a black apron. I felt bad for blurting out such words at him earlier. I walked out, and my ears froze. 

He glanced over me "Its cold, stay inside." I shook my head. "What are you cooking?" I asked. "I'm roasting this meat." I noticed there was a lot, like a whole family can eat that amount. "Why is there so many? Do you eat like that?" I was surprised. "Nope." He plainly answered. He took it out and we went inside, he placed the meat on the table and removed  his apron. "Eat well." He said. "How about you?" I asked. "Later, I'm not yet hungry." he walked away again. 

I took a bite and it was incredibly tasty. I never tried meat like this before. After I ate I stood up and find him, I saw him sitting at the bench outside staring at the city lights. I sat beside him, "You cook well." I can feel my awkwardness. He let out a "Mmm" sound. We were quiet for a while, "I'm sorry for saying such things earlier, I wasn't thinking." I apologized. 

"I understand." He replied. I looked at him surprised, he forgave me that easily? he looked at me and we met eyes, his eyes were like stars, like shining stones at night. I liked his eyes. "Young Jei" he called softly. I don't know where did he get my name, but It doesn't matter anymore, I was staring at his eyes, it was so sincere and calm. "Just trust me." 

Those three words, just like my mom said, he was really the one, so this guy, is the one my mother was talking about to have my trust.