One faithful night

Against all Odds

I


Today was my most awaited day, the day i'm turning eighteen. I jumped out of my bed excitedly and ran towards the balcony of my room,  the sun welcomed my eyes as I moved the curtains away. I stood there looking out at the garden. "Its a beautiful day" and then someone knocked on my door. "Come In!" 

My mother came in as she walked with a smiling face towards me, "Happy Birthday to my little girl." She wrapped her hands around me and I felt her warmth. "I can't believe it, you're already legal. I don't know if I should be happy or not." she sighed deeply. "I love you so much, Jei" 

"I love you more, Mom." I hugged her tighter. Those were the moments I wish that lasted forever, The sweetest and kindest mother a daughter would ever have. "Your father is waiting for you, let's go have breakfast." We left the room and went downstairs. My father, already seated in our dining table welcomed me with a big smile. He's like a kid in an old man's body, sweet and bubbly. "Good morning princess." 

"Good morning Dad." I hurried towards him to hug him. He greeted me happy birthday and we ate. After we ate, my mother called some maids. "Time to get ready sweetie, your father and I will see you later." she said. I got up. "Okay mom." I gave her a kiss on the chick before leaving. And we went to our styler and started getting prepared. 

It was my second time to have a grand party, first was my first birthday party and tonight. I don't really like grand celebrations, even in my previous birthdays, I just think its not really necessary, and I'm not really that spoiled-rich-girl. My mom and dad just wanted this birthday to be special. I closed my eyes as I enjoy the feeling of combing my hair by the hair-stylist. 

After fixing my hair, we started fitting my gown, and shoes. I dress comfortably, that's why I don't have a thing for long gowns, Its tight and itchy, but I have no choice right, just make it through this day and enjoy it. I wore a long silver dress with back exposed and styled with diamonds all over it. "Isn't this too eye- catchy?" I asked the stylist. 

"You really have to be eye-catchy Miss Young." she said. "Its perfect for you, your mom really knows how to choose." I went in front of the large standing mirror, As I looked at myself, I was surprised. I looked totally different. "I look like I'm a different person." 

Hearing the door open close, Miss Hong entered, my personal assistant, she's strict, smart and sometimes annoying. I don't know how I can stand her attitude for two years already. "Miss Young, do you have anything you like to eat?" she asked. "Nothing Miss Hong, but give my stylist what she wants, please." she nodded "As you wish my Miss." 

The night came, and I can hear people outside my room echoing and running. I just sat in front of the mirror looking at myself. "I wish everything's gonna be alright." I sighed. I feel nervous, I think its because of the party, I'm not really that confident in front of many people. 
My phone rang, I looked at it and it was Sungyeol, my best friend. "Hello?" I answered. "Jei-ah! Happy Birthday!" he was so loud I almost dropped the phone. "Hey, you don't need to shout, but Thanks yeollie." 

"Oops, my bad." He giggled over the phone. "I just wanted to greet you, well I'm excited to see you later Bud." and he hung up. Sungyeol was my best friend since middle school and he's a guy who treated me like his little sister, since I have no siblings, I treated him as one. My father always told me to marry him someday, I know he was just joking around and I don't feel any romantic feelings towards him.

"Miss Young, the party is about to begin." I heard Miss Hong's voice outside. I walked towards the door and took a deep breath. We walked down the hallway and there was music echoing from outside. I walked out and everyone clapped as soon as I arrived, I smiled and waved. I felt so awkward. My father stood up and walked towards me, he was holding a mic and spoke. "Everyone here tonight, thank you for joining us, This is my one and only daughter, Young Jei, celebrating her debut, My wish for her is to be a beautiful and smart lady like her mother, have courage and never be afraid of anything. Minah, you are my very precious treasure, and I love you more than anything." My father cutely giggled and glanced over my mother, "You and your mother." he went closer to me and gave me a kiss on the forehead. I was tearing up, It felt so warm, it was so reassuring. Everyone clapped. "I hope you enjoy the party tonight!" He shouted with joy.

Before he parted I stopped my father. "Father, I love you very much." I feel so worried and nervous, I wanted to hug him, Never wanting to part from him. He poked my nose "I know, just have fun, it's your night." and he smiled. 

"Jei!" Someone called me from behind. I saw Sungyeol wearing a nice gray suit matching mine. He stared at me. "Wow, you look stunning." I giggled. "So do you." He held his hand to me, "shall we dance?" We laughed while dancing, the typical relationship we have. What I like about Sungyeol is he's funny, he's like a happy pill, and you never want to stop talking to him. Suddenly that strange feeling inside me kicked again, I tripped. Good thing Sungyeol caught me. "Are you alright?" He asked. "Yeah, I just tripped." 

"You're not okay, my shoulders are about to bleed right now." I didn't notice my grip was really tight on his shoulders, I stood still. "I have this strange feeling, I feel very nervous, I've never felt this way. " My heart was pumping so loud in my chest that I could hear it.
 "I have to find my mom and dad" I ran away to find them. "Jei-" 

Suddenly the guest looked like nauseous, they were falling down one by one. What is happening right now?! I panicked and I saw Miss Hong sitting on a chair. "Miss Hong! Where's mom and dad?" I shouted but she didn't looked at me, she didn't hear me, she was out of her senses. I started to cry. I ran inside the house and I saw bunch of guys like thugs entering the door, I shouted for help but no one was answering, everyone was unconsciously lying on the floor like they were drugged. I ran as fast as I could upstairs. "Mom!! Dad!!" I saw blood on the hallways, my knees were trembling in fear. 

"Jei" I heard my father's voice. It was from my room. I went inside and I saw my mom crying on the floor holding my father, My eyes rounded when I saw his chest was bleeding. No way. I ran towards them. "Mom!! Dad!! What happened?!" I cried. 

"Jei, thank God you're alive." Father weakly placed his hand on my cheek and I held it still. My face was wet with tears. "Dad, no. Stay alive, don't leave us, no not now." blood came out from his mouth. He's badly wounded. "Sorry my little girl, All I wanted was for you to enjoy your birthday." I cried harded. "You did dad, you did." 

"You have to stay alive okay? I-I love you-" 

That was his last words when he took his last breath, It felt like my heart also stopped that moment as I hear my mom cry wailing beside me. I stared at my father's hand holding mine. "This is not happening, this is just a- freaking dream." Suddenly there was a loud bang in the door. My mother grabbed my arm and pulled me. "Hide Jei, I'm going to distract them." I shook my head. "No, I can't lose you too Mom no." 

"Jei! Listen to me, I love you, We love you more than anything, but there's no other way. Take this phone, keep it. Wait for a call from someone, Never trust anyone besides this man, understand?-" The door was about to break. Someone shouted outside, "There's someone here!" My mother lifted my face "Jei, I'm so sorry-" she hugged me tight, for a matter of seconds I can feel her drenching my back with tears. My tears were falling but I can't say anything. "I love you mom. I love you, I love-" 

She cut me. "Go hide in the balcony." she kissed me one last time as she opened the balcony and pushed me there. She locked it and gave me a reassuring smile before she disappeared before my eyes. I stared at the phone she gave me while my hands were unstoppably shaking. I can see my father's feet on the room. 

It was a deadly silence, suddenly there were gunshots, heavy running footsteps in the hallway. All I can think about was my mother risking her life. I broke down in tears. I heard people on the garden, the guys wearing black. "The daughter is missing. Where are her parents?" 

"Just as planned, the only left is the girl, Find her!" I gripped my chest as I hear their conversation, Plan? What in the world is that plan?! My mom, my dad, my poor parents. My chest was in pain and my tears gushing down my face. "I'm the only one left right?" I gave up, there was no point in living, I stood up and unlocked the door then suddenly the phone vibrated. I stopped and saw someone calling. 

Wait a call from someone. My mom said, I answered it, but theres no words coming out from my mouth. There was a calm guy's voice. "Where are you?" I can't talk. I can't. Never trust anyone beside this man. "In my- my balco-cony." I took all my strength to answer. The call ended. Someone barged in my room and I knew I can't escape, or else I'll choose to jump here in my balcony. I'd rather die, since there was no reason for me to live. I closed my eyes as I was about to jump. Okay, and I jumped. 

I can feel the air in my body, the pressure, I was falling, My eyes were closed as I waited for my body to crash. Why does it feel long? It wasn't that high, I want to die. It stopped. I crashed into something, a person. I opened my eyes and saw a guy wearing a mask. The first thing that I saw was his eyes, they were golden brown orbs, like stars, sparkling, in that darkness.

and that's when everything went black.