Inception

Against all Odds

VI


 

I started to adapt with my new life- which was my only choice, acceptance. I trained hard, doing such things I never thought I would ever do in my life, learning to fight, using weapons, which was to renew myself, to protect myself.

My life has changed drastically, and if that was the case, I, myself should change too. As time passes, my heart froze, turning into a cold hard stone, every morning as my eyes open, Revenge was the only thought that pulls me up, and my reason to make it throughout that day. I didn't want this, but I oblige.

"You're too early, you have to rest more." Monsu says. "Those people can even rest right now, when they don't even deserve any." I said.

This day was our inception, where everything starts, this was the day we step off from our comfort zones and do what we have to do. Monsu and I went back to my house, We were standing in front of it, It was abandoned, forsaken for already two months, I stared at it as I felt a tear trailing down my cheek. That's our house, my once happy safe home. I felt a hand rest on my shoulder, squeezing mine, Monsu looks at me worried, "Let's go." I smiled at him. Half-smile.

We broke into the house and as I scan through the garden, every single thing laid there that night was still on their respected place, I ran inside, ran towards the hallways, I stood in front of the door of my room, reaching the cold dusty doorknob and turned it slowly and the sweet and nostalgic smell of my room lingered through my nose welcoming me. As I looked around, I'm now unable to stop the tears from falling, my eyes landed at that particular spot, the spot where I last talked to my parents, last held them, last said I loved them, and the last time my mother gave me a reassuring smile, all those memories were an exquisite form of torture, and even though how much those last memories hurt, all I wanted was for that to stay, because those were the last, and there will never be another one.

I was screaming, gripping the carpet in my hands, as it all flashes in my mind, so vivid like it just happened yesterday, I knew Monsu was there watching me, not doing anything, because he knew he can't do anything. "Why does it have to be me?! Us?!" I wailed. "What have I done wrong? What have they done to deserve this..." All those strength I build up shattered dragging me down with it, "I'm still weak Monsu, I can't change that." I said, I hear steps towards me, Monsu lifted me up to my feet, he held me still, knowing I'll fall down anytime he lets go. He walked me outside the room, then outside the house. "We're leaving." he said, I nod without looking back.

"I think the police has already taken all the evidence. There was nothing left there." He said. We were sitting in a cafe somewhere in the city, I sip my coffee as I already sobered. "Then we should get those evidence." I said. He nodded. We went to the police station, and parked, "I'll go get i-" I opened the passenger door but Monsu grabbed my arm stopping me. "I'll get it, stay here.", "Wait- how can you get it? they won't let you." but he still left.

After almost an hour of waiting, I saw him in the background, with nothing in his hands, He opened the car door and sat, "I knew you can't-" he took an envelope inside his coat and put it on my lap. I looked at him flabbergasted, "How did you- Don't tell me- you stole it." He started the car and drove out the parking lot, "I didn't stole it, I'm just borrowing it without permission." I shook my head in disbelief, but there's no wrong with borrowing just the fact he took it without consent. I opened it and it contained a flash drive,and few pictures of that crime scene. "No things left out? No evidence?" I asked. "That's it?" Monsu glances over me as he drove, "Yeah." We both feel disappointed. "That's why they're not taking action." he said. "We have to check this, There's something going on." he added, I glanced at him, "What do you mean?" I asked. "Its been two months, they should atleast reported or somehow solved this." he answered. I came to a sudden conclusion, "So... you mean they stopped working at it? since then?" I feel something heating up inside me.

He glanced back at me, "I guess so, or maybe someone made them stop." he said.

 

The flash drive contained records of the cctv cameras, we watched it one by one and looked at each closely, after hourse of watching it, Monsu suddenly paused it, "Look at this.", "What do you see?" I asked. He pointed the part of the car that passed, he zoomed it. "We're going to find that car." he said, I shot him a confused look, "How is it possible, and we can't even see its plate? there are thousands of cars like that.." I said. "Not with that kind of wheels." He answered, I looked closely and it was a unusual kind of wheel, it was like a high-end expensive type that you don't see in public. "That's for really.rich.people."

"Exactly." he answered. We knew it wouldn't be easy but everything is worth giving a try. Monsu seemed to know where to go, so I just watched him drove all the time, we stopped in a big car shop, "Stay here." he commanded, "Wait- I'm not staying here again." I said but he still left. This is unbelievable.

Monsu came back with a list, the list of customers who bought that gear starting last year, it was shockingly more than a hundred people. "How?" I asked. We went to another shop I don't know what is that, and he was taking care of things, just letting me slump at the passenger seat watching him. He came back with another list, but now containing thirty people. "What is this?"

"That's the brand of gear those culprits were wearing, if you check it both, maybe we'll find out who bought both those wheels and those gears." He said. I looked at him stunned. "Wow. You're really smart." I said. I slowly checked the thirty people list first, and then next the hundred people, the names were just jumbling inside my head and I have no idea who are they, but I came to a halt. "Hey."

"Found anything?" he asked leaning closer to me. I nod. "This is the only guy who is both in the lists." I pointed out a name. "and he bought both in the same week." I added.

"Mr. Choi Beomjo."

This name doesn't even ring a bell, I don't know if this very little name will lead to something, but it was the only thing we have, and we're holding on right now, both of us exchanging glances, thinking, Today is our inception.