Blazing Flame

Against all Odds

IV


"Ouch!" I jolted in pain while Monsu was bandaging my strained arm. He was gentle like always, his hands were soft like cloth and smooth, He was carefully rubbing some ointment on my bruises, my eyes were fixated at him as I realize all the wrong things I did, how mean I was to him. I left him without even saying a proper thank you and doubted him, but in the end he was there to risk his life for me and cure me like nothing ever happened. 

 

 
My tears fell down suddenly. When he saw my tears he glanced up at me, he stood up and sat beside me as we both look at the view of the city. "I feel bad." he says, "because I just failed my promise." he continued. "Pro-mise?" I asked. He slowly nodded, "There was a time when I promised your mother to not let you cry, but now I broke it." I was surprised, not just because it was a promise to my mother, but also it means they really know each other, and I have no idea since when. "It's not your fault." I said. 
 
 "For you to be this sad. You must have once felt so happy." he said those continuous words I don't know how many and his soft but manly voice was like music to my ears, His words were too engrossing that his sentences surprises me. Our eyes met, those eyes like gold, like a star in a dark night, "And you will find that feeling again, and it will be beautiful." In my eyes his eyes sparkled as I looked at him in daze. 
 
"How can I?" I asked. "I'm here, and I will help you." he answered. My tears suddenly changed into tears of happiness. I felt happy, comforted with his words, it was relieving that there is someone who cares for me, who can risk his own life for me just to fulfill my mother's promise. It made me feel bad even more. 
 
"I have to go back to Sungyeol, he's probably finding me now." I said but Monsu didn't answer. "It's my fault, If I followed him and stayed there, this wouldn't happen." Monsu's gaze stayed low without looking at me, he wasn't responding. "Let's go back Monsu. Monsu-" he stood up straight and looked down at me. "Sorry, we can't." he replied, "We can't? what?" I asked. he took a deep sigh,"I can't let you go back. You can't go back to him." It was disheartening to hear, I knew he was referring to Sungyeol, I panicked. "Wait- What? Why not?!" 
 
"Sorry." he turned and walked away. "What happened? why can't I go back?" I started to imagine Sungyeol right now, He sure is worried and now finding me, We've just been together for a day and now again I'm separated from him. What's the matter with Monsu? Why did he suddenly changed his mind, it was bothering me. I walked back to the room helplessly and weakly, I didn't see him around, he might be asleep already. I stood in front of the stairs and looked at it, staircases never felt so high for me, but now it feels like every part of me will break in every step up, luckily having a rough time I'm almost there to the last step when my knees suddenly stung in pain that made me off balanced and stumble back, but there was a pair of arms around me and a sight of Monsu's face right before my eyes. He scooped me gently and carried me, It felt so awkward. "I can walk." I said, but he didn't stop.
 
He lied me down on the bed, and pulled the blanket up to my chest. I found it sweet but still, he hasn't said anything and it looked like he's not in the mood for any questions. "Goodnight." I said and it became dark as he switched off the lights. "Goodnight." he answered and pulled the door close.
 
I wondered how my life turned out to be if any of these things didn't happen, Perhaps I would be a simple college girl by now and a daughter loved by his lovely parents, but the parent thing is far from possible or lets say absolutely impossible. 
 
Its been two weeks since that day, and nothing happened since then, I stayed with an unknown trustworthy guy, and no communication even slight with Sungyeol because I was forbidden by this man for unexplained reasons, the following days made me insensible and pessimistic, like I'm stuck in the middle of the desert. 
 
One night when I was staring at the plain ceiling of the room, I remembered every scene of that night, automatically playing in my brain, it made me tremble in fear. It was unjust, tragic and horrible, my heart was filled with anger, and then I was assaulted and almost killed again by those senseless murderers, I realized, why am I just lying here and being indolent? I realized the endless extent of how unacceptable it was, and that my parents will never deserve that kind of judgement. There was a sudden flame blazed inside of me, a flame of anger, and wrath, They never deserve that! I don't deserve this, and I will never in my life. They ruined my family, my life, and its not just something I have to let pass. I stood up and took my small bag, it was one in the morning and I can hear a cry of a night raven outside, I stepped lightly and walked downstairs, I sighed in relief when I successfully passed through his door, "Sorry Monsu, but I have to learn to do things by my own." I opened the door and I scream in shock when a guy in black appeared in front of the door. I swung my bag against him, then his hood fell down, and it was Monsu. My bag hit the side of his face and he grunted. I'm still speechless in shock, so I was staring at him. "So-sorry." I finally spoke. His eyes turned cold. "What are you doing right now?" he asked. "I-I just want some fresh air. Hey! what are you doing outside?! You scared me." I excused. Ugh seriously what am I saying. "I just jogged." He answered until his gaze went down to my bag and back to me, he raised an eyebrow. "I want revenge." I firmly said, it took seconds before it processed in him then he suddenly walked in making me take steps back inside. He closed the door behind him and locked it. "So you're going to take revenge right now?" he asked. "Yes, so let me go, I will do this alone." I tried to shove him but he grabbed my arm, it wasn't that tight but i'm surely chained. 
 
"Alone? Huh." he said. I evaded his eyes. "Let go of me, I thank you for all the things you've done for me, and for saving me a lot of times and-" I was being unreasonable. He stopped  me in my rant. "Hey." he cheaply said. I looked at him, the distance between us were so close and our chests are likely about to touch each other's, I can feel his warm breathe touching my face. "First rule, Never do things carelessly." he said, it gave me a feeling of deja vu, I heard that before, I'm positive. Our eyes were directed to each other, his eyes were speaking to me. "Remember that. Always think before acting Jei, if you want revenge, tell me, I'm with you now." the smooth sound of his voice slides into my ears making its way to the nerves of my body. Those three words "I'm with you" is echoing in my brain, he left me speechless. "I was just waiting for you to be okay, to be ready and to wake up, you have to face reality Jei, and its about time." He says. Exactly. 
 
"Are you going to help me?" I asked. 
"I always do." he answered as he let loose of his grip and my hand fell down to my sides, I dony know why I felt slight disappointement right there but its better than feeling my heart skip beats.
 
I finally came back to my senses, "I will find the justice my Mom and Dad deserve. I will do whatever it takes, and I swear I won't stop until I find it."