The Inseparable

The Mediator

Dongwoon and his father invite Soyeon and Min out for dinner at a nearby restaurant but Min refuses, telling them that she is tired. The other three have no other way but leaving her home alone as Doojoon is stuck with his new robot at university today.

What is even worse than staying at home alone is blackout. As soon as they leave, light in the house goes out. Min sighs and mumbles.

‘Haizz…This jerk.’ – And she shout out loud. –‘Ya Kim Myungsoo, you run out of things to do?’

The three words “Kim Myungsoo” have just been mentioned and the ghost appears right beside her with an innocent expression. He explains.

‘It’s not because of me. It’s blackout. Just go check at the basement.’

‘Okay, forget it.’

Min interrupts him. She doesn’t care about the reason for blackout anymore as her focus now is the pot of boiling noodle on the stove. She reaches out her hand to grab a candle and ignites it. The candle light brightens the whole kitchen, making L glow even more.

Right then, her phone rang. A call from a strange number. She picks up.

‘Hello, Min’s speaking.’

‘Hello.’ – A mellow voice spoke on the other side. –‘Are you Min sunbaenim, the Manner Supervisor for grade 2?’

‘Yup, it’s me. But excuse me, who are you?’

‘I’m Lee Sungjong, class 2B. You did make record of me for unproper uniform but you didn’t return my name tag.’

‘Lee Sungjong? Let me see…’

Min drags her backpack on the kitchen floor – she intends to study here before going upstairs for sleeping – and starts searching for a nametag.

‘Lee…Sung…Jong…Ah, ok. Here it is.’ – Finally she finds the tiny nametag which carves ‘Lee Sungjong’ at the bottom of the backpack. –‘Will give it to you tomorrow, ok?’

‘Thank you very much.’ – Sungjong politely replies. –‘Good bye, sunbaenim.

Min hangs up the call and knocks her head. She made record of Sungjong for not wearing cravatte and nametag this afternoon but then the guy pulled out the nametag from his pocket to show her. Min took his nametag to write record but then she had to chase after another student passing by so she forgot returning the nametag to Sungjong. Maybe he just couldn’t be on her heels.

By the way, Min is wondering whether Sungjong is the guy that Minzy usually mentions for the gentleness and delicateness in manner or not but due to how she has been interacting with him, he might be that guy.

Min is smiling to herself when she catches an undescribable expression on L’s face. A little bit happy, a little surprised and a bit worried when he trembledly picks up the box that Min brought from Ulsan which she unintentionally threw out of the backpack while searching for the nametag. She realized that L could hold things, which contradicts to the fact that her pillow went through him last night. But it’s not important. What is important is that L opens the box, takes out the guitar pick and looks at Min with bewilderment.

‘Where did you get this?’

L holds up the guitar pick near the candle to take a clear look of it. She glances at him and takes a sip of soup from the pot, replies:

‘In a tree hole near my room at Ulsan… But why are you that surprised?’

‘Because’ – His voice trembled. –‘It’s my guitar pick.’

‘Yours?’

‘Yes, mine.’ – He still keeps his eyes on the pick as if it is something precious. –‘It’s my Inseparable. This red mark is my blood fingerprint.’

Min is stunned. She can’t believe in what he has just told her. How could it be? It’s true that so many strange things have happened to her since she moved into here but it can’t be a coincidence that she happened to find the Inseparable of the ghost she was helping right in front of her room in Ulsan on the first time she’d been there. An arrangement of fate? Min carefeully asks.

‘But are you sure? I mean, there is no electricity right now, you might not see it very clearly…’

‘No’ – L determined. –‘It’s my Inseparable. Look.’

And then L picks the fruit knife on the table and stab the guitar pick as hard as he can, making a tiny plastic piece fall out of the pick. But it’s not a big deal for things to happen like that. In fact, as soon as the sharp tip of the knife touches the guitar pick with a heavy force, L’s image seems to distort and fade. Simultaneously, he pulls a painful expression on his face, as if being stabbed by a real knife. And those high-pitched shrieking suddenly echo inside Min’s head, abnormally synchronizing with his mouth’s movement. Min hastily pulls the knife out of his hands, anger is clear in her voice.

‘What the hell are you doing? Stop!’

As she witnesses those things, it dawns on her a notation in the book about mediators that she has read. Generally, if the Inseparable is attacked, the spirit will bear the same pain due to that attacking. And she doesn’t want L to be that foolish to use such the way to prove to her that the colour guitar pick is his Inseparable.

L enfolds his chest and smiles exhaustedly.

‘Now do you you believe me?’

‘You jerk!’ – Min punches him in the shoulder, angrily said – ‘Did you run out of reason to say?’

‘That is the most effective way.’

‘Shut up.’ – Min interrupts but then hesitates. – ‘But I don’t understand. Why was your guitar pick at my house in Ulsan? And when you stabbed it, did you scream or yell something because I heard some weird sounds?’

L puts the guitar pick now bearing a small hole into the box. He closes the lid and pushes it towards Min.

‘I have no idea why it was there but so lucky that you are keeping it. I can assume that I’m safe now and my fate is all in your hand, Min ah.’

‘Still conscious enough to say flowery things, huh?’ – Min mocks at him. –‘But well, so lucky for you.’

‘Yup. Lady Luck hasn’t turned her back on me.’ – He smiles and replies her with a warm look making her somehow uncomfortable. –‘And the weird sound you mention…Well, I think finally we’ve developed a connection without body contact.’

‘And I should be happy for that?’

‘Yup, if you don’t want to make body contact with me!’

Min sniffs. She doesn’t bother react to his joke as she has already known this guy. He finds it interesting to joke, especially about that ridiculously sensitive body contact thing. Instead, she picks up the box with the guitar pick inside and says.

‘But I don’t find this ok at all.’

‘You mean…’

‘I mean’ – she rests her chin on her hand and looks up to the ceiling sparkling with candle light. – ‘why wasn’t your Inseparable with you when you were dead but in a totally unexpected place like that?’

‘That’s why I’m looking for my guitar.’ – L shrugs. –‘I always place the pick with the guitar. But maybe the guitar is gone and there’s only this left. Yet I don’t get it why somebody hid in in the tree hole.’

L hugs his knees and sighs. Min glances at him and suddenly she stands up and runs upstairs to find the necklace that she hasn’t worn for long. She brings the necklace downstairs and silently slip the guitar pick into the necklace before wearing it.

‘Now’ – She says looking up at L. –‘Just be sure you’re safe as long as I wear your Inseparable. I don’t know how I can help you but this might be the only thing I can do for you until now. And when I’m back to Ulsan, I will ask for some more information…There might be something related to you somehow.’

Min is saying what she wants to say. That is what she thinks to be within her ability to help her ghost. But she doesn’t think it is so much meaningful to the ghost as she feels totally taken aback when the ghost reaches out his hands and pulls her into his embrace. He whispers, the slight breeze rolls her hair.

‘What should I do thank you, Min?’

‘Nothing.’ – Min awkwardly replies. She tried to inch away from his tight embrace. She doesn’t understand what it means by this sudden hug, it might be to show his appreciation to her but above all, it is way too intimate. –‘ That’s what a mediator like me should do.’

 L loosens his embrace but he still keeps his hands on her shoulders and he looks at her affectionately.

‘Yup, but I’ve been searching for months in vain but then you came and you found it….Is there any possibility that…you…you are my destiny?’

If Min is a dreamy and imaginative girl, this scene will surely be followed with a kiss based on logic on movies and novels. But thankfully, she’s not. She is nothing to him and vice versa, a hug is way too weird, not to say a kiss. That’s why she just pretends to shiver and mischievously replies.

‘That fate would be better if you allow me to finish my dinner!’

‘Ah ah’ – L smiles with a little hind of embarrassment and let her go. –‘I’m sorry.’

‘Nothing. But now just be assured to prove that you’re worthy for me to believe in.’