Misunderstanding

The Mediator

9.

‘Who is the boy dancing with you?’

Okay, now Min’s mom is grumbling about her dancing with Myungsoo. While the two youngsters were so into the dance, they unintentionally walked towards the center of the stage and Min’s mom had no difficulty to realize that her daughter was having fun dancing with a strange waiter boy. That was why Min was ordered to meet her mom right after the session ended.

She grimaces:

‘He’s my classmate, he also lives in Ulsan.’

‘But it doesn’t mean that you can dance with him that intimately.’

‘Is that serious, mom? Just a dance! We didn’t do anything else.’

‘But’ – Her mom insists on disapproving. –‘You’re a girl anyway.’

‘I’m going to bed.

Min throws the blanket over her head, pretending to go to bed. She sighs. It’s reasonable that mom worries about her, that a 17-year-old girl should be so easy with guys but what did Min and Myungsoo do ? Nothing. Just merely a dance. Dad did dance with another woman after dancing with mom, why didn’t she complain about that ?

 

Myungsoo and Min stops at the edge of the stage and the guy took her hand and they started to move along the music. Holding his hand, Min realised that there were caluses in his hand, another flaw in this seemingly perfect boy. They were dancing along with the romantic music when Myungsoo suddenly smiled. Min questioned right away.

‘Why are you smilling ?’

‘Just thought of what Ms.Gina said this morning.’

‘That I’m special ?’

‘Yup. You’re truly special ?’

‘What’s it now ?’

‘You’re special because you…’ – Myungsoo tried to hide his laugh but he couldn’t succeed. –‘don’t know how to dance at all.’

 

‘You keep on stepping on my feet!’

Min startled and looked down to see her high heels were stepping on his black Oxford shoes. How many times had she stepped on his foot so far in this dance? She didn’t know. No wonder why she had the feeling that she didn’t step on the grass.

She bustledly apologised her friend and was replied with another smile from Myungsoo – did he give her too many smiles tonight? Or were he trying to impress her as he hardly smiled that much during classes?

‘Nothing.’ – Myungsoo said. – ‘Just a joke. You only stepped on me once!’

‘But it’s just so embarrassing!’

‘Well…I said nothing. But next time if we’re to dance together, you’d better not wear high heels!’ – Myungsoo winked mischievously.

And that was the last sentence from him when Min’s mom called her back to the room to investigate such a case.

***

Min rolls up and down inside the blanket for a while then she sits up just to realise that the party is over. Guests are leaving and waiters are tidying up the tables as well as decorating lights.

She opens the window and something pops up in her mind. As quickly as possible, she climbs to a branch of the nearby tree which shades her room and a minute later, she is sitting on the branch, looking down on the yard in front of the house. From her place, she can see clearly Myungsoo bringing piles of dishes back and forth and over the gate, her parents is seeing off the president and his son Son Dongwoon. Min smirks and thinks, ‘ What did he react to see Myungsoo dance with her.’ For her, it’d better to dance with Myungsoo as he is more enjoyable and at least, they have interacted more while Dongwoon, even though has revealed to be a mediator like her, remains mysterious and hard to understand.

But since the moment she danced with Myungsoo, why has she been thinking so much about him like this?

Well, it’s better than being haunted by his brother all day.

Min has been sitting on the branch for a while and she decides to climb back. But as she turns her back, she catches sight of a hole on the tree. An unnatural hole as it seems to be perfunctorily carved into the tree. Min climbs towards it and turns the flashlight on the mobile phone to find what is in the hole.

  1.  

There is nothing but a small box which, with little attention, might not be seen. The small brown box looks dusty. It seems to have been left there for a long time; hence, the brown color is fading in some places. Min has no difficulty in opening the box and she finds a pink guitar pick inside.

Why a guitar pick? Why was it hidden or left there inside the tree?

Questions are raised continuously inside her head but perhaps in a short time, she can’t process and find proper answers to all of those. So, Min decides to throw it into her bag and take it with her back to Seoul the next morning.

 

‘Hey Minah!’

Myungsoo calls Min from across the stadium.

After the trip to Ulsan, an intangible connection has been established between Min and Myungsoo. They talks with each other more and more, in classes and during lunch time. Even their classmates are now familiar with their talking-while-walking every morning and Myungsoo even starts calling her Minahas a friendlier version of her name.

Apart from talking, greeting everytime seeing each other at school has become a common stuff for both. This morning is not an exception. Today class 3C has physical education class but Myungsoo is exempted as he has to practice for the upcoming national athletic championship.

However, where the class takes place is not very far from the practicing track of the school’s athletes, which helps Min easily recognise her friend running endlessly there. When the class ends and Min is about to return to classroom, Myungsoo calls her.

‘Are you done with class?’ 

‘Yup’ – Min doesn’t forget to reply him with a bright smile. She always feels positive meeting him. –‘Now back to class. How about you?’ 

‘It’s break time now. Shall we talk a bit?’ 

‘Is that ok?’ – Min looks at Myungsoo, pretends to be suspicious. –‘Just afraid that your team mates are gonna be jealous.’ 

Myungsoo responds her with a sniff. They are now also familiar with such the joke from the other. Both of them come to sit down on the nearby bench, looking over the whole stadium. Myungsoo proactively shares: 

‘Minah, my workload is gonna be so heavy in a few weeks. The competition is near.’ 

‘I know.’ – Min nods. – ‘You’d better work hard.’ 

Min did hear about the incident at the last competition. Myungsoo used to be invincible in 100m running within the whole country but last time, while he was about to take the race, he got the news that his brother was found dead. According to Minzy, Myungsoo intended to withdraw from the race but then was convinced to join as he mustn’t waste all the training and preparation for the whole winter. However, he just couldn’t keep himself focused on the race and as a result, he only finished at the 4th position, with which Hwa Yang High lost its 1st position as everyone was totally sure that Myungsoo would easily claim the gold medal.   

Hence, nearly 9 months later, Myungsoo has to make up for “his mistake” with a gold medal in the upcoming competition, which Min just wants to laugh at. Why does he have to make up for something not at his fault? If somebody has to be take responsibility,that should be those forcing him to take the race after hearing such shocking news. 

‘But’ – Myungsoo shyly suggests. –‘ Can you help me with lessons then?’ 

‘Uhm…I was at the bottom of our class last semester for skipping classes to practice. But this year is senior year, I have to study harder but I just can’t give up running.’ 

‘I know.’ – Min nods in agreement. –‘But why me? You might not know if I’m better than you!’ 

‘Geezz’ – The guy pouts. –‘You ain’t better than me? Come on Minah. Who scored 98 last Math test?’ 

Min snorts. It’s true that she scored the highest in the latest test but you can’t assume everything based on just a test, right? But is there any possibility that… Myungsoo is trying to approach Min? Wait, forget it. 

Myungsoo begs

‘Ok, Minah? You can ask for anything you want!’ 

‘Okay’ – Min nods. –‘You have to call me seonsangnim, ok?’ 

‘Up to you.’ 

Right then, a person goes past them. A girl. And she pulls a lovely smiles for the guy sitting next to Min. 

‘Hey Myungsoo. How’s training going?’ 

Myungsoo seems to forget all about Min being there, hurriedly stands up and heads towards that girl, who turns out to be the pretty Jiyeon in the yellow-blue cheerleading uniform. 

‘Hey Jiyeon. Everything’s just fine. Thanks for your care.’ 

Min rolls her eyes. She can’t just intervene their conversation, can’t say goodbye and leave as they haven’t finished that tutoring stuff. Therefore, Min just sits there, looks around… 

…until Jiyeon’s voice seems to direct towards Min. 

‘Are you the newcomer at 3C? Hi, I’m Jiyeon.’ 

‘Yup, she’s the newcomer, Min. She sits behind me in class.’ 

Myungsoo answers before Min even acknowledges that Jiyeon is starting a conversation with her. She just can smile shyly and slightly nods in response. 

‘Hi. I know you. You’re famous anyway.’ 

‘Sounds proud, huh?’ – Jiyeon laughs with a vibe of a person with higher level and then glances at Myungsoo, she continues – ‘You should take good care of Myungsoo!’ 

And goes away. Leaving Min in confuse. What does she mean by “take good care of Myungsoo?’ Ain’t she mean…Oh dammit, ain’t she implying that Min and Myungsoo is… 

…A couple? 

And maybe Myungsoo shares the same opinion as when Min takes a look of Myungsoo, she suddenly realizes a strange expression on her friend’s face. The look he gives Jiyeon doesn’t seem so normal. It’s not how you look the pretty classmate, more to be the look for your crush! Myungsoo looks at Jiyeon from behind warmly and slightly smiles shyly when the girl turns back to wave goodbye to him. He even keeps that smile for the next minutes, until they farewells.  

Min comes back home with that “take good care of Myungsoo” advice from Jiyeon still running around in her mind. If Myungsoo has something with her, he’d never look at Jiyeon that way. Min sighs. It seems to be common problem to have boy-friend. 

Luckily, Min has to solution to not think about Myungsoo anymore. 

It’s to get into trouble with Myungsoo. 

Well, L. 

11. 

Min goes into the bathroom and has taken off her T-shirt halfway when the light at the front room goes out. She moans. 

‘Damn it.’ 

How can she go out to turn on the light quickly? She just doesn’t want to wear that stinky T-shirt again. And there might be possibility that L has been hiding somewhere out there intentionally, if she goes out like this… 

That’s why Min yells while hurriedly put on another T-shirt.  

‘L, you’d better not appear now!’ 

No reply and Min assumes that he has heard her. However, as soon as she gets out of the bathroom, she is shocked to see him sitting on her bed, flipping through the playlist on her out-of-date MP3 player. 

The only thing she can do then is to yell. 

 

L looks up at her innocently. Min shows her being annoyed. 

‘I told you not to come!’ 

‘I didn’t appear in the bathroom.’ 

‘But you…You can’t ! You just can appear when I call you.’ 

The ghost rolls his eyes at her request. He leans towards the edge of the bed. 

‘If so, I just can appear when you need me, not when I need you? But you never need me.’ 

‘But if you keep on appearing this suddenly, what can I do?’ – Min pouts. She knows that it’s a bit excessive to ask him so but honestly, she can’t do nothing but order him that way. –‘I’m a girl. And if you don’t accept, you’d better find another one to help you.’ 

L’s face seems sunk a little bit for her words and he replies her with a sad voice after a few seconds of silence. 

‘Maybe I have to do so. I’ve caused enough trouble for you. Bye!’ 

Saying so, L disappears into thin air as if there is no evidence for his existence there except for the playing song in Min’s MP3 player and her gloomy facial expression.

Min throws herself onto the bed and sighs. Everything has been solved quickly. Only two weeks and now…boom! Farewell!  Min shrugs, telling herself to ignore him, he comes and goes his way, she has no reason to pull him back.

However, when evening approaches, the feeling of guiltiness gradually grows in her. L came to ask for help but she hasn’t helped him anything. Even though as a ghost, he can stay anywhere but leaving a spirit abandoned is not a good thing at all. And according to him, there is only Min that can communicate with him.

She might have overdone everything. But how can she call him back? Google? Man, there is no such thing serious about mediator on Google!

Luckily, when she is about to give up, it dawns on her an idea and Min quickly dials Minzy’s number.

  1.  

The doorbell at Minzy’s house rings, echoing the whole cold yard and making Min feel goosebumped. Min wants to find Minzy and her sister to get answer who her concerns about mediator but looking at the oddly-structured house and the mossy green colour of the walls along with the closed doors and smoke rising from the chimney on the roof, Min slightly shivers.

Minzy rushes to the gate and escorts Min to the living room. The interior is not less weird than the outside but the oddest thing is a young woman sitting next to the burning fireplace. Well, it is not that cold in Seoul at the moment to burn the fireplace.

As if she understands, Minzy grins as she invites Min with a glass of water.

‘It’s my elder sister, Hyosung. She likes to do weird thing, ya know.’

Ya know, well, Min doesn’t even know they can do such weird thing.

Right then, Hyosung leaves her place to come and sit down at the opposite seat to Min. She looks about 7 or 8 years older than Soyeon but her posture and vibe looks mature and charismatic. ‘That’s what we call special.’ Min thinks and bows to Hyosung.

‘Hello, I’m Min.’

‘Hey. Minzy told me about you. Just call me Hyosung.’ -  The woman smiles warmly. –‘So, you are a mediator ? What do you want to know ?’

 

‘Oh, everything ?’ – Hyosung suddenly becomes pensive. –‘You know that mediators bridge the spirit and normal people, right ?’

Min slightly nods. It seems true to what Minzy said about her sister, Hyosung knows alot as she has been taught by their mom about different aspects of mediators. Hyosung keeps on talking while the fluffy cat sitting on Minzy’s lap  is grunting.

‘At a high level, a mediator can communicate with lots of spirits at once but at beginning level like you and Minzy, you can only communicate with one and help them, if you have already responded them.’

‘I know it.’ – Min interrupts. –‘ What about the connection between the mediator and the spirit ? Like how to call and respond from both side ?’

‘Normally, only the spirit call and the mediator responds as the spirit needs help but later on, it’s necessary to build a two way communication between the two as then a connection is formed.’ – Hyosung is dreamily talking when she suddenly smiles, signaling another expression change. –‘Is it a bit lengthy? Ok, let’s say, you and the spirit should form a connection so that if you want to call them, you can call their name or think about them. In my opion, it’d better to call the name.’

‘But how?’

‘A friendship is the best way. When you two share with each other, you will understand each other more. Or if you want a quicker way, it’s a body contact.’

Hearing so, Minzy exclaims with disgust.

‘Ew…Gross! What’s body contact? Sis, her ghost is a guy! But even with a girl, body contact is just gross!’

Like Minzy, Min also feels gross with the term ‘body contact’. Doesn’t it mean that to form the connection without waste too much time, Min and L should…well, have with each other? Better not become a mediator!

Hyosung throws at her younger sister a don’t-overdo-it look.

‘Who told you to interpret that way? Min,’ – She looks at Min who is also giving her an embarrassing look. –‘Have you ever touched that spirit?’

‘Touch?’ – Min asks back. –‘What kinds of touching?’

‘Normal touching, literally.’

Min frowns, trying to search in her memory about a certain time that she had touched L before. Here it is.

‘Yup, I touched his shoulder once.’

It is at the Biology class, when Min confirms that she –as a mediator for L – can sense him as a human, except for his coldness and glowing.

Hyosung nods without hesitation.

‘That’s called body contact.’

Okay, Min has to stop herself from stumble backwards. Is body contact merely like that? No wonder Min and Minzy went beyond that far.

‘But if so, how can I call him back? Just call or think of him?’

  •  

‘But back where, unnie?’

Minzy suddenly asks an ill-timed question making Min freeze. However, she finally gives the answer, which is rather a confession.

‘L, he is haunting my room.’

‘’ – Minzy exclaims. –‘I’m so jealous of you!’

‘Shut up.’ – Hyosung, unlike the excited Minzy, appears serious after hearing Min’s confession about L’s haunting her room. – Min, you gotta be careful with this. Spirit is not everlasting, you can help that guy but you’d better never LOVE him. Remember, love is something that should be between human, never let it exist between human and spirit as you’ll be the only one hurt.

Hyosung warns Min about love. She laughs inside. She’s never thought of falling on love with that romantic but annoying guy, whether as a spirit or a human. But still, she nods in agreement with Hyosung.

‘I know it.’

‘And’ – Hyosung turns to the nearby bookshelf to take out a book. –‘You can read this book for reference. If there’s something you don’t understand, just come here to ask me.’

‘Thank you.’

Min thanks Hyosung and takes the book. It is kinda old but she’s still able to read the copper-plated title ‘Mediators: Introductory.’