This guy frustrates me, that guy puzzles me

The Mediator
  1.  

And the one who can gives her a proper perspective about L is his twin brother.

‘Ya, do we really need to study in the canteen?’ – Min whined, following Myungsoo going into the canteen at Hwa Yang high. –‘It’s cooler at the library.’

Silently, Myungsoo puts all the books that he carries for Min down on the table and goes to buy two softdrinks along with a bun of bread before settling down on the chair, looking at her cockily:

‘Ain’t it more convenient here?’

Min pouts. What more can she do?

In her first tutoring day, Min’s mission is to explain again everything in the Math lessons this morning as Myungsoo has skipped it for training. Learning by practicing is the best, Min asks Myungsoo to do Math exercises and for nearly 2 hours, pieces of paper with exercises are delivered from Min to Myungsoo just like a conveyor belt in the factory but at the end of the day, the products from the athletes only disappoints the tutor. Not because he isn’t intelligent. He is smart but too lazy to remember and utilise the basic knowledge from the previous years.

Min shakes her head and sighs at the end of the session.

‘I think I have to make a special plan for you, Myungsoo ah!’

Myungsoo can do nothing but smile in embarrassment.

‘Thank you for that in advance. Should I carry you home today?’

At first, Min intends to deny his suggestion. As it takes her nearly 30 minutes to ride from school to home and the bike is obviously hers, so he has to run back to the dorm. However, she realizes in time that he can take bus or even subway back. Being an athlete doesn’t mean you have to run all the time. Therefore, she nods in acceptance.

‘Myungsoo ah’ – Min asks when they are riding along the road full of shades from the trees around. –‘Are you close with your brother?’

‘Why do you ask?’

‘Just asking. I heard that you guys were different but I think twins should resemble each other.’

‘Ah’ – Myungsoo suddenly rides slower. –‘It’s up to people. He’s always better than me, academic record, reputation, relationship…nearly everything. Except for the scar of cat’s claw on his face. I don’t have that.’

Gosh, Min tries to hold back her laugh. It turns out that the white scar on L’s face is because of cat’s claw. She did think that due to his cavalier characteristic, that scar might be resulted from a fight. She continues.

‘So what’s about personality? I mean, you’re like this but is he any different from you?’

‘Absolutely different.’ – Myungsoo laughs. –‘He can make any girl fall for him…’

‘Like Jiyeon?’

‘Somehow. Anyway, I don’t tryna say good at him but he always lives true to himself.’

‘And it’s also different from you?’

Min doesn’t mean anything negative to ask him so. But then, when re-thinking about it, she realizes that perhaps Myungsoo is not living true to his emotion, at least based on her observation on his look for Jiyeon.

Myungsoo doesn’t reply. He just keeps on pedaling the bike up to the foot of the hill leading to Soyeon’s house. As the hill is way too high, they get off the bike and walk together. The sun is going down and from here, Min can see the yellow sunlight making its way through the branches above them and shining on the ground, some of it reflecting on their white uniform shirts. This scene could be considered a romantic dating scene – the guy escorting a girl to her house – if there were no Math textbooks and of course, the frightened expression on Myungsoo’s face when they stop in front of Soyeon’s house.

‘Okay. Here is my rental house. Thanks.’

‘You’ – Myungsoo stares at Min. –‘Live here?’

‘My brother used to stay here!’

Min takes out the key to open the grey gate and turning to Myungsoo, she asks.

‘Want to come in?’

He nods and walks inside.

‘It’s been over 9 months that I haven’t come back here. When my brother lived here, I used to go here to stay over the weekends if I didn’t go to Ulsan. Back then, he lived at the second floor.’

He points to the glass window of the room at 2nd floor with the mossy green curtain that Min hung up on her first day here. She smiles.

‘It’s mine now!

Once again, he looks at her in bewilderment. It’s reasonable. They have been friends for not so long, it’s not enough for them to know much about each other or even to know about the ghost haunting her room.

However, can it be called destiny? Destiny for her to stay at Soyeon’s house, choose exactly L’s room and meet him. Destiny for her to sit right behind Myungsoo and be friend with him after the trip to Ulsan. And well, destiny for Myungsoo and L to be twin brothers.

Myungsoo takes a sip of water from the glass, asking.

‘Have you happened to see a guitar anywhere in this house?’

‘Guitar?’ – Min furrows, reminded of the guitar that L mentioned. –‘Is that your brother’s one?’

‘Yup. He never gets away from it but when he was found in…er…Ulsan, the police reported not to find it so I thought perhaps he had left it here. But I haven’t had chance to come here to find since then.’

Min rests her chin on her hand, tapping her other fingers on the table.

‘And you want to ask me to find it?’

‘Yup.’ – the athlete nods. –‘You’re now the owner of that room.’

‘Okay, I will try.’

Myungsoo has left but Min still sits at the table, thinking. Honestly, she finds the ghost and his death nothing simple. If combining all the things she knows about him then L, except for being the guitarist at school’s band, a real ladykiller and the ex-bf of Jiyeon, is a mediator, went lost and finally was found dead in Ulsan while his Inseparable can be the guitar that both he and his younger brother are looking for. However, it isn’t convinced enough for her to trust him totally. Myungsoo also said that L lived true to his emotion, so could it be concluded that he would be honest with Min? Whether or not could she believe in a guy who, according to Minzy, has a flirting record as impressive as academic one?

  1.  

The second tutoring session.

It should be taking place but due to some unexpected factors, it doesn’t go as Min expected.

She is sitting next to the high bench to avoid sunlight with the three books she has borrowed from the library for Myungsoo. She intends to wait him and they would have lunch before starting the session.

Min fixes her cap and and her gaze follows each step of the athletes running on the track. Of the three members of 100m-running team, Myungsoo stands out in terms of appearance. It’s not because he’s Min’s friend but honestly speaking, while the ghost haunting her room has a romantic look, his twin brother looks more masculine with firm feature on his face and body. With such an appearance, he should have been able to get lots of girls in not only this school. Unfortunately, he only focuses on running.

However good Min think about Myungsoo, she would never expect after finishing this training, he goes straight to somewhere behind her. It turns out the cheerleading team has been practicing there and no wonder, the one who can draws Myungsoo’s attention that quickly is Jiyeon.

Min crosses her arms and stands still, waiting for him even though she’s already felt a bit annoyed. She just replies Myungsoo with a slight of her head to signal ‘I can wait. Finish your job!’ when Myungsoo wheels around to call her.

Unluckily, he might have misunderstood her signal to be ‘Do what you want to do!’. That’s why a few minutes later, Myungsoo merrily runs back to her place and announces:

‘I might not study with you today. I’m going out with Jiyeon.’

‘Yup.’ – Min nods, trying to hide the anger which is about to explode inside. –‘Up to you. But you have to finish all the exercises. Anything difficult, just call me. Ok?’

Myungsoo thanks her and leaves. Min pretends to act indifferent but inside, she just wants to shred them two apart. What a guy, Myungsoo! What is more important to him? Running, studying or going out with that girl? Min doubts that he would finish all the exercises after getting home. And for Jiyeon, didn’t she see Min here? Didn’t she know that Myungsoo should go with Min? She wants to steal the younger brother’s heart after his brother’s death?

****

‘Min, wait for me!’

Min is heading to the parking lot when she hears someone calling her name. Turning around, she finds Dongwoon taking big steps to reach her place in seconds. He smiles.

‘Didn’t you hear me?’

‘Did you?’

Min questions. Sure, she was busy complaining about a guy who chose girl over friend. But it’s likely that Dongwoon doesn’t take it serious, he asks while they are walking towards to the parking lot.

‘Is Soyeon alright?’

‘She’s always fine.’ – Min shrugs, doesn’t understand why Dongwoon suddenly cares about Soyeon as ‘that old lady’ did confirm that she was not so close with him.

‘Is it convenient living there?’

‘Yup. Thanks to your father.’

‘No problem. You parents have contributed a lot to ShinhaCorp anyway. By the way–‘ Dongwoon pulls a poster from his bag and gives Min.– ‘Take a look and decide if you want to join with me.’

Min receives the poster and reads it. A contest about scientific research for high school student. The prize seems attractive enough for Min to be motivated to join. Yet she hasn’t had in mind any idea about the topic. Therefore, she hands back the poster:

‘Sounds interesting but I think I’m not competent enough.’

'‘Why not?’ – Dongwoon widens his eyes. – ‘You’ve been so outstanding since the beginning of this school year in natural science classes. Join for fun. It’s a contest for team of two, you don’t need to worry. Ok?’

Min rolls her eyes. With such prize, she can take care of herself independently for at least two months. And since Dongwoon is asking her to join with him, the possibility for winning is much higher as Dongwoon is currently the best student in class 3C and the whole grade 3 while Min is the second best (at least after the latest mid-term exams.) And well, joining with Dongwoon also gives Min the chance to teach Myungsoo a lesson about being abandoned by friends. That sounds much more appealing to her. Hence, she nods.

‘Great.’ – Dongwoon replied, excitement can be heard clearly in his voice. –‘So maybe we can meet up soon at my house. There’s experimenting facilities there and…’

‘Got it.’ – Min cuts him off. – ‘Let’s see.’

And that is the last words Min said to him before she leaves the parking lot to head home with a question suddenly raised in her head.

Why is Dongwoon so enthusiastic and excited with Min like that? As if he has turned 180-degree.

Setting aside the little frustration about Myungsoo and the wondering about Dongwoon, Min is involved in a new trouble. This time, there is no guy. It’s the Supervisory Teacher.