The House

The Mediator

That night can be considered memorable as they get chance to understand each other more, except for the fact that rain is still pouring down so hard, light has gone out and Soyeon has just called Min complaining about her staying over at a guy’s room.

‘Don’t worry unnie, he’s quite naïve. And  - She swallowed saliva and glanced at her friend cooking noodle in the kitchen corner. – I’m nothing to him.

Yes, she’s nothing to him so that he can invite her to stay over as a guy although from an outsider’s perspective, what they do is not suitable for two senior high schoolers. However, for Myungsoo, that’s what he hasn’t done with a friend for a long time. It’s when they both lying opposite to each other, separated by a dim candle in the middle, Myungsoo smiles and tells her.

‘People think that being a half of the most famous twin at Hwa Yang must be awesome but the reality is not that wonderful.’

‘Why not?’ – Min rests her head on her arm. – ‘I guess people admire you both a lot?’

‘Yup they admire us but they don’t see us as true friends.’ – There is a hint of sadness in Myungsoo’s voice. –‘I nearly got mental depression after my brother’s death and my failure at the competition but no one bored to help me get over it, including those I called friends. They all thought of me as arrogant for not performing fully to my ability at the competition. Honestly speaking, being a loser helps me realise that there is nobody faithful with me. That’s why I has become reserved and carefree.’ – He paused for a while. –‘ Until you came.’

‘Me?’ – Min is rather surprised at his confession. –‘Am I that important to you?’

Myungsoo smiles. In the flickering candlelight, Min can see the bright smile and a familiar look from her friend. That, after a few seconds of wondering, is the look that L gave her a few days ago when she told him that she was going to protect his Inseparable which is now her necklace. But for Myungsoo, Min is sure that the look is merely an appreciation for something she did for him – something she hasn’t known what it is.

‘Yup.’ – Myungsoo whispers in reply. –‘Maybe because you has been always open and supportive to me so more or less I feel like I can lean on you. And you don’t care that I’m a loser.’

‘Ya ya ya’ – Min cuts him off. –‘I know it but I just don’t think it’s critical. You have helped me since my first day here, you have been good to me so there’s no reason that I shouldn’t be good to you. So, just think that we’re destined to be friends. Ok?’

Pausing for a while, Min goes on.

‘And also, don’t overthink about that failure. Just think, how many students in this school apart from you can gain that much success? Of course no one. If those you called friends turned their backs on you when you lost, they didn’t deserve to be your friends, Myungsoo ah.’

‘Are you trying to flatter yourself?’ – Myungsoo snorts.

‘Oh am I?’ – Min questions back and bursts out laughing. –‘But well, I’m great, aren’t I?’

 

They both laughed. It dashes through her mind that if he considers her a reliable friend, it’s lucky for both of them to find each other in Seoul and become close like this. And for that confessing to Jiyeon which Min has tried not to mention for the whole night, she has made up her mind to do something good for her friend even though it will be absolutely bitter. She’d rather sacrifice a little bit than lose him forever.

They keep on talking til midnight and fall asleep without acknowledgment. The only thing she realizes is that as she opens her eyes, the horrendous sound of rain and wind are gone and she is feeling warm than ever.

Because she is cuddling up in the green blanket and there’s a muscular arm embracing her and she can feel the warmth from the chest she is resting on.

Oh no, what is this? Min shakes her head and tries to remember what has caused her current posture to be lying inside Myungsoo’s embrace like this. She just can recall that due to her habit of turning around while sleeping plus the cold weather last night, she had to find somewhere warmer and ended up inside Myungsoo’s embrace for a sound sleep.

Maybe Myungsoo also experienced the same issue as when she glances at the room, she realizes that they are no longer at the original place. Instead, they have dragged each other to a corner of the room. All of the sudden, her phone rang while there’s somebody calling Myungsoo from the outside. Both of them hastily open their eyes, sit up and Min grabs her phone before dashing to the bathroom while Myungsoo opens the door to see his teammates in the athletics team.

Damn it, Soyeon. Min subtly curses the house owner when she is complaining on the phone.

‘Why aren’t you home now? We have guests today.’

‘I’ll be right back. – Min grumbles.

Hanging up the call, she opens the door and finds Myungsoo wearing his training shoes. She sighs in relief, no one saw her here. She walks out and grabs her backpack.

‘Training huh? I’m leaving now!’

‘Yup’ – Myungsoo stops tying shoelaces and looks up to her. –‘Be careful. See you later.’

  1.  

Don’t think that if waking up in a morning, a guy and a girl discover that they have been cuddling for the whole night, they can talk with each other normally as if nothing happened. In contrast, Myungsoo seems to be a bit shy when seeing Min off. It looks like he wants to tell her something but refrains from doing so for fear that she might get embarrassed; therefore, he just stands there smiling and rubs his hair.

And of course, Min can’t act normal herself. On the way home, she shivers touching the arm where Myungsoo hugged a few hours ago and smiles. An unconscious smile and suddenly a strange feeling makes it way to her veins. Myungsoo, Myungsoo again. It seems like all the romantic moments she has been experienced since moving to Korea are related to him. And at those moments, he is no longer her shy friend but a sweet and caring guy.

What the hell is she thinking about? She shakes her head hard, trying to throw away all the thoughts about Myungsoo and puts on her headphone.

‘I feel a little tremble in my heart

I feel a little changes in your heart

Although I know you’re leaving me today

Can’t say a word, just let you go

And just hide my everything’

  •  

‘What kind of guests coming here today unnie?’

Min asks when she drinks water from her mug at the kitchen.

‘My friends.’ – Soyeon replies, eyes gluing on a big pot of soup. –‘But…Okay, anyway, are you still ok?’

Hmm…she looks like hiding something from Min, judging from the sudden pause and topic diversion. And in return of course, Min will never reveal even the tiniest bit about that hugging-while-sleeping thing. Therefore, she just shrugs.

‘Just fine.’

It doesn’t take long for Min to find out what Soyeon is hiding.  There are three persons coming to the lunch. Two of them are a couple, judging from the way the girl named Hyuna cling to the guy named Woohyun. The last one coming alone is called Eli. And as soon as he walks into the house and is welcomed warmly by Soyeon, Min knows what she intends to do…

…when inviting her friends and even Doojoon for lunch.

  •  

The lunch is enjoyable with some talks, jokes and laughs among those university students. It turns out that Doojoon is also in the same university with the other four persons including Soyeon but he is their senior. Yet he quickly gets acquainted to Woohyun who is attending Mechanics like him and they seem to be very congenial with each other. Therefore, all the efforts from Soyeon to be intimate with Eli in front of Doojoon from the beginning is in vain. Okay, so she wants to check how Doojoon reacts to see her being intimate with another guy and if he appears to be annoyed, he might have special feeling for the house owner. But ultimately, she is disappointed.

While Min is in the bathroom, she comes across a conversation in whispering between Soyeon and Hyuna.

‘Why didn’t he react at all?’

‘Who knows?’ Soyeon sighs. ‘is there any possibility that he really doesn’t have any feeling for me?’

‘Are you giving up?’

‘What else to do?’

‘I shouldn’t have brought my Woohyunnie here. If not, he will definitely pay attention to you.’

‘Haizz…just think that we are not meant to be. Living under the same roof for more than one year, countless times of encountering and still nothing.’

Min doesn’t know what to say. She’s not wrong. Soyeon likes Doojoon but the truth falls out of her expectation. Well, it’s just like Min and Myungsoo. Min might be his close friend but in fact, Jiyeon is the best girl for him.

  1.  

‘Why are you home so frequently?’

Min’s mom questions when seeing her on the threshold. She grimaces and walks into the house.

‘You moan when I’m not home and now I’m home, you moan. What exactly do you want?’

She just says so for nagging. Honestly, she knows that her mom is still worried about her living in Seoul on her own so she has to go home frequently to ensure with mom that she’s living well.

However, her visit is rather boring this time as her parents all go on business trip, leaving her staying at home with her brother and some maids.

  •  

Min wakes up after having a bad dream. She sees herself being chased severely and a house resembling her family’s house appears and then a gun is pointing directly to her and then… She just can recall that much, enough to give her headache.

She and her brother have been sleeping for hours. When she wakes up, the house is scarily quiet. She wakes her brother up and they both go to the kitchen to grab something to eat.

But the nearer they approach the kitchen, the noisier it gets. The maids seem to be talking but suddenly Min doesn’t feel so secure with the atmosphere in the house. The kitchen door is slightly open and she decides not to push it and walk in at once. Instead, she steps aside and glances at what is going on inside.

She is petrified.

As the maids are busy wearing some kind of electrical devices on their ears and body. It looks like device for eavesdropping and communicating. But what for? She doesn’t think that her family needs such the protection, they are not governmental officers. Unless… something wrong is happening without her family’s acknowledgment. Something which might relate to the house…

She signaled her brother to leave their place for the living room.

‘Have you heard anything about this house?’ – she asks as they reach the place.

‘What do you mean?’

‘I just want to know’ – Min swallows her saliva. –‘Before we came here, what was in this house.’

‘Nobody talks about this.’ – Her brother shrugs. –‘They just told us to live here. But if you want to, I can find someone to give you an answer.’

Without hesitation, Min requests to meet that person. Her brother leads her through a path surrounded by grasses at the back of the house and stops in front of a rusty gate. He pulls out a key chain from his pocket and starts opening the gate, mumbling.

‘I did make this key chain by my own. You see? Am I great?’

Yes, she knows her brother can somehow be called a genius as he’s only at primary school age but he loves criminal novels and sci-fi movies as well as discovering about stuffs around him. But what if he knew that his sister was a mediator, would he demand a surgery to see what was inside her body that made the difference?

But anyway, the gate opens easily and Min realizes that the path leads to a nearby house – much smaller than the luxurious villa they are living in. Her brother takes her hands and together they walk along the gravel path to reach the house.

‘Oh there you are! Come in!’

 A middle-aged man appears at the door after her brother knocks on the door. He must be informed about their visit in advance as Min realizes there are already three mugs of steamy tea on the coffee table. While they are going inside, her brother whispers to her ear.

‘I usually visit this uncle for books. He has lived here for 20 years so he might know something about our house.’

And he’s not wrong. As they settle down on the couches, her brother speaks up.

‘Ahjussi, this is my sister who is studying in Seoul. She wants to ask you about our current house.’

‘You two should ask your parents, how can I know?’ – The man takes a sip of tea from his mug and smiles.

‘Oh come on ahjussi.’ – He brother pouts. –‘That is not originally of my family. You must know something because you’ve lived here for so long.’

The man slightly pushes his glasses rim and starts telling a story with a low voice and Min feels as if she is travelling back the old time.

‘I have been living here for 20 years but that house only exists for 10 years. That’s where Son Shinha, the president of Shinha Corp first started his company. He used to live there and the house used to be his office as well. About four years later when ShinhaCorp grew and expanded, he moved to Seoul and the house was on sale but no one wanted to buy. Therefore, it was abandoned and downgraded seriously. Until February this year, ShinhaCorp had it rebuilt and last month, your family moved into it. Actually there is nothing special about this house except for being the first office of the famous ShinhaCorp and for the rumour of being haunted.’

‘Haunted?’ – Her brother utters. –‘Sounds creepy!’

‘It’s just rumour.’ – The man replies calmly. –‘because the atmosphere around this house seems to be colder than normal.’

Min shivers. Colder atmosphere than other places, it’s the first criteria to identify a haunted place. But perhaps her family doesn’t pay much attention to it to realise.

‘Wow, you know a lot!’ – her brother exclaimed in awe.

‘Well, actually there is not much things to remember in Ulsan except for ShinhaCorp and a Seoul student who was missing and found dead in here at the beginning of this year.’

That strikes her. A Seoul student? Missing? The beginning of this year? It absurdly coincides with all the things about the ghost haunting her room. Isn’t it him? And does this uncle know something more about that?

But she hasn’t raised her voice when the man says.

‘It’s rather dark now. You two should be home.’

Of course, when adults tell you so, you must follow. Min disappointedly stands up to greet him and follows the way back to her house but her head is now burdened with questions.