The Book

The Mediator

‘The title rocks!’ Min tells herself, flipping through the pages after getting home. She doesn’t expect that there are researches about such the topic. Min spends the whole night devour its content and understands most of it except for only one complicated section about ‘Destroying a Mediator’. It writes.

‘If the mediator uses his/her ability for evilness, it is highly recommended to destroy him/her. Nevertheless, how to destroy to the root, eliminate the possibility that he/she would become a spirit and contact other mediators – those hardly know about his/her life before? Just destroy everything, especially his/her Inseparables. If the Inseparables – or Soul Deposits – have not been totally destroyed, there is high possibility that the mediator’s spirit still exist with power from the Inseparables. Unlike normal spirits, mediator’s spirit can easily communicate with other living mediators – especially those at beginning levels that account for a considerable portion of mediator world…’

Min has read this section many times but still finds it hard to get through. Later on, when she is about to go to sleep, it dawns on her the whole idea. It means, if Min is a beginner mediator, she can only communicate with one spirit. However, if that spirit used to be a mediator, Min can also communicate with another spirit via that mediator-spirit.

Satisfied with such the explanation, Min thinks it’s enough. But no, another thought arises. What is Inseparables? She’s also a mediator but what and where her Inseparables are?

She hurriedly turns to the index and finds the definition.

‘Inseparable: or Soul Deposit, is usually something that the mediator always brings with and is important to the mediator himself/herself. After death, the Inseparable will contain the mediator’s spirit until he/she is reincarnated to another life. Inseparable is identified by mediator’s marking it with their own blood. One mediator is allowed to have only one Inseparable and one Inseparable can only contain one spirit. If the Inseparable is destroyed, the mediator’s spirit will disappear forever.’

For L, maybe he has nothing to be called evil or listed as the must-destroy ones. So, this section is only for reference as Min thinks she would never be involved in such scary stuff. And mentioning L, Min realises that she hasn’t tried calling him back. She walks towards the window and curls up the curtain, looking out the dark sky twinkling with lights from the buildings around, Min whispers. 

‘Come back, L!’ 

 

‘You missed me already, babe?’ 

Min nearly faints hearing L whispering next to her ear and his coldness seems to wrap around her. She turns to face him and grimaces. 

‘You want to kill me, huh? Don’t appear that sudden!’ 

But L only frowns and smirks. 

‘You call me back, how can I resist that?’ 

‘Can you just make a more normal entrance?’ 

‘I’m a ghost!’ 

‘That’s so yesterday!’ 

Min pouts at him and goes back to her desk, puts Hyosung’s book into her bag intending to read more carefully at breaktime tomorrow when her fingers touch the box that she took all the way back from Ulsan. It has been more than a week that it is forgotten inside her bag. 

L sits down at the edge of her bed, querying. 

‘Why don’t you say anything? I’m back.’ 

‘I just’ – Min pulls the box out of her bag, replying –‘experiment to make sure that I can call you. Minzy’s sister told me that since I once touched you, I can proactively call you at anytime.’ 

‘It should be body contact, not touching!’ 

L smirks mischievously while the only thing I can do is to staring at him in bewilderment. She stammers. 

‘Why…why…why do you know that?’ 

‘Don’t tell me that’ – L slowly stands up to face her. It is the first time she has the overwhelmed feeling to face this guy. The truth is, L is much taller than her and he is looking down on her with a very short gap. – ‘You understand it literally. Don’t tell me that you regret not having more body contact with me! But don’t feel guilty, how can you resist such a gorgeous guy like me?’ 

‘I…I’m not!’ 

Min rolls her eyes in puzzle. It’s true that when Hyosung mentioned such thing, Min did thought about that meaning. And it’s true that L is absolutely gorgeous. Tall and well-toned, his single-lid eyes can both give warm and seductive looks. Not to mention his most attractive feature – lips. Well, none of the girls would deny a kiss on those lips and perhaps, they would prefer the owner of those lips to steal their first kiss! 

But that ‘regret for not having more body contact’ with him is just insane! Min has never linked her thought with that at all. Even when they were both on the same bed last week, Min did try to stay away from him. And she just happened to touch him! 

However, why did L know that? Min, still with embarrassment, glances up at him and mumbles: 

‘How did you know? That body contact thing?’ 

‘In Mediators: Introductory, right?’ 

Min just wants to shout right into his face ‘Can you just be a little bit clearer, you little ? Don’t beat around the bush like that!’ 

Yet since it doesn’t sound so polite, Min still mumbles:

‘Yep, but…how did you know that book?’

‘I’m a mediator like you.’

Done. That’s all. Min now knows another mediator, except for herself, Minzy, Hyosung and Dongwoon. However, L is not a living mediator. So, is there any possibility…that he could be an example for that section “Destroying Mediator”? If she’s not wrong, from the very beginning of their encounter, he did mention about finding a guitar which might be his Inseparable!

Min is swimming among her thoughts when L lifts her face up with his cold hand and slightly pinches her left cheek.

‘Ya, aren’t you thinking I’m a bad spirit?’

‘But, how can I believe in you?’ – Min shakes her head and still glues her eyes on the floor, too afraid to look him in the eyes. – ‘I know nothing about you but your name.’

‘Min ah’ – This time, his other hand is already on her other cheek. –‘It’s up to you to judge me, I don’t even know how to prove if I’m good or bad to you either but…If you believe me, I will take time to give you a proper answer. Trust me, ok?

It seems that the guy facing her is no longer the mischievous L that Min has seen day to day. Instead, he seems to be honest. Conflicting thoughts flash through her head continuously, persuading her that it is difficult to find someone agreeing to help you and it’s much more difficult for yourself if that helper thinks you’re a bad person, which might make all efforts to prove your innocence worthless. The situation is cumbersome for both of them. But if L hides something from her, he might bring lots of trouble and danger to her life.

After a long period of considering, Min timidly says.

‘I...I want to trust you but…can you just…wait for me?’

‘Yup.’ – His face brightens. –‘I’m willing to. Just don’t make me wait for long.’

Min sighs. She knows that she is putting herself in potential danger to believe this guy. Yet she still hopes her intuition would be right.