Untangled

The Mediator

Min has just ridden her bike out of the parking lot, towards the school gate when she encounters Teacher Im Seulong – the strictest supervisory teacher of all and also the one who has punished Min four times out of the five times she made it to the manner blacklist. Yet Min doesn’t care much about such thing called manner which is mainly about correct uniform as she’s here to study, not to dress.

Anyway, she’s about to be punished once again.

‘You have anything to ask me, sir?’

‘You’re Min at class 3C, right?’

‘Yes, it’s me.’ – Min replies and even adds. –‘I’ve been caught four times by you for uniform violation.’

‘Good memory!’ – Teacher Im raises his left eyebrows. –‘Starting from tomorrow, you will be the Manner Supervisor for afternoon classes. Remember to come on time.’

What? Min stares at the teacher and can’t believe in what she’s just heard from him. Starting from tomorrow, she’s going to be the Manner Supervisor? Oh come on, does it have to be that ridiculous?

‘Did you mistake me with anyone else? I don’t remember registering or intending to become Manner Supervisor.’

‘You didn’t register but you were chosen.’ – Teacher Im says at ease. –‘Being a Manner Supervisor means that you have to act as exemplary for other students, it also helps you gain some more ratings for Students Manner. Remember, 1pm tomorrow, available at Teacher Room for assignment. You can leave now.’

Min pedals the bike, feeling that she can do nothing. Not only this week, but also the next week and weeks after that, her life will be attached to “manner supervisor” and “uniform”, which means she has to say farewell to her days wearing pants and running around and get used to that knew-length checkered skirt, strolling up and down the campus to catch those rule-breaker – who are like herself before. This news seems to be more depressing than Myungsoo’s skipping tutoring session to go out with Jiyeon.

And by the way, mentioning Myungsoo and Jiyeon only annoys Min more. Yes, it’s true that Myungsoo has never claimed publicly that Min is his close friend or that he has anything with her but deep inside her, Myungsoo is the only one that brings her comfort to stay around, the only one what she can laugh at and joke as much as she wants. Min thinks that more or less, Myungsoo should acknowledge his importance to her as apart from him, she can’t talk to anyone in the class. Yet ultimately, he might not have realise any of that, resulting in his abandoning her.

And even L the ghost has abandoned her since the day she told him that she would find a way to believe him. Well, maybe he has met some kinda beautiful female ghost around here that Min can’t see and then he just left Min here like this.

‘Heard that you’ve been promoted to Manner Supervisor? Congrats, hope you’ll have time for me tomorrow. Is 3pm ok?’

[Sent from: 3C.Dongwoon]

Min reads the message and sniffs. The news has been spread around way to fast. But it’s not something that Min should be proud of. As Min pressing reply button to respond to Dongwoo, another message comes.

‘Sorry for not having session with you today. Is 3pm tomorrow fine?’

[Sent from: 3C.Myungsoo]

Min rolls her eyes. What is this? Two appointments, at the same time, with the two hotboys of 3C?

  1.  

The first month here hasn’t passed.

Min doesn’t want to make things complicated and serious but honestly, this situation is way too complicated. If Min is still angry with Myungsoo and she wants to get that appealing prize, she should meet Dongwoon but as a tutor and a friend, Min can’t be irresponsible with her friend, even though tutoring is free and voluntary.

What should she do now?

Right then, the light in her room goes off. She doesn’t bother to turn in on again, just let him appear and do whatever he wants, she’d pretend to sleep.

‘Slept already babe?’

Min can hear L whisper into her ear but she still keeps her eyes shut, knowing that the ghost is placing his head very close to hers. Yet a thought dashes through her mind. Maybe L can give her some advice about which appointment Min should go to. At least he has various experience in love – even though, well, doing research with Dongwoon or tutoring Myungsoo has nothing to do with love.

She opens her eyes and nearly faints to see the ghost sitting on the floor, his crossing arms place on the edge of the bed and he is staring warmly at her. She glowers, her brain starts to process quickly information and questions about why he is looking at her sleeping instead of going somewhere else or whether she is way too easy with him and so on. Fortunately, she still remembers the reason why she stops pretending.

‘Sunbae, can you help me?’

And she hurriedly sits up, hugs the pillow tight.

L looks up at her, slowly questions.

‘So you’ve been ignoring me huh?’

‘Whatever. But can you help me make a choice?’ – Min shrugs. –‘I have 2 appointments at 3pm tomorrow but I don’t know which to go.’

‘With a guy?’

Min nods in confirmation while the ghost appears excited.

‘Oh?’ – L said mockingly. –‘You’re running after two hares? Well, seems like you’re not that unattractive to guys!’

‘Stop it.’ – Min sniffs and sighs. – ‘Just for study purpose.’

‘Ok. I’m joking.’ – L grins. –‘But between the two guys, who is closer to you?’

‘The one that I’m tutoring. But he skipped the session to go out with another girl yesterday.’

L stands up and walks to the end of Min’s bed to sit down at the edge. He rests his chin or his hands, appears to be thinking, which gives me the feeling that he’s going to give some kinds valuable advice.

‘You care about that he went out with another girl…Are you trying to seduce him?’

Min throws at L a ‘what-the-eff-are-you-saying?’ but realizing that the ghost might not have seen, he throws the pillow she is holding towards him. But of course, that ghost doesn’t hurt. The pillow leaves her hands, flies through L and falls on the floor. L looks at the pillow at its place, pouting.

‘How brutal you are! But am I right? Why do you have to care about that guy’s going with another girl? Unless you have feeling for him!’

‘Ya!’ – Min yells at him, interrupting. – ‘I told you to advise me, not to joke me or give me headache! If you can’t help, please go.’

Ridiculously, L only considers her anger to be fun element. The ghost holds his hands high and smirks.

‘Ok. Got it. I’m not talking nonsense. We’re going to the main topic, ok?’

Min nods, folding her arms and listening to him.

‘In my opinion, you’d better go with the guy you’re closer to. You’ve been here for only one month, you should focus on developing a firm friendship with him. If he skipped the session and suggested to take it again, it’s a chance for you to let him see that you’re generous and you don’t take petty things for granted. And you’ll be more trusted.’

‘Are you sure?’ – Min lowers her voice, sounding unconvinced.

‘Yup. Even though you can call me a Don Juan.’ – L looks at her and nods in head respectfully. – ‘You might not speak it out but I know you think so because I’m famous for so. Anyway, even if I can be like that, it doesn’t mean I can’t think. Just do as I say babe.’

Min nods. Now he sounds rather reasonable. If she gets angry with Myungsoo for such a petty things, she might be considered very narrow-minded. How can she become a good friend with such a personality? And what’s more, she’s new here and the most important thing she needs to find is friends and this is the chance for her to prove that she’s a good friend and she deserves respect and trust from others who also consider her their friend.

That’s why she shrugs and smiles merrily.

‘Okay. I will listen to you. Now, please go away. I don’t want to be stared at while sleeping.’

L stands up in a whatever-you-want manner and his glow fades. But as he’s fading, Min calls him back.

‘But wait.’

‘What now?’ – His glow stops fading. The ghost seems to be fed up with being expelled and called back continuously like this.

‘Tomorrow’ – Min says without looking at him. –‘Go to school with me. I don’t have anyone to talk to without you.’

‘Why don’t you get to know more friends?’ – L replies. –‘ But you already have Minzy and that guy, don’t you?’

‘That’s it but Minzy doesn’t have Manner Supervisor shift anymore and the other guy’ – Min sighs. –‘I don’t know what will happen to him. Anyway, just come. Ok?’

‘Call.’ – The corner of his lips curves. –‘I can go to anywhere you want. Finally you realize how important I am to you, huh?’

L disappears right after finishing the sentence. Maybe he doesn’t want another pillow to be thrown at his face for such an overconfident statement.