You have guts

Hello Monster

Addict, a word that doesn’t fit Kibum. If you look it up it says that an addict is someone who became physiologically or psychologically dependent on an addictive substance, activity, habit,… yeah sure, even beating someone up can become addictive. But was he…was he really an addict?
What started with bruises, black eyes, Nose/lip bleedings ended up in intensive care department of the hospital.

 

“Hurry! Kim Kibum, 17 years, bone fractures, broken ribs, severe head injury, …”
“That’s my son, My son….Who did this? MY SON”
“Sorry sir, please stay here and wait until the doctors give you more information”
“Mister, We don’t think he’s going to make it….”

“News flash! Police officers discovered a new underground fight club by students of **** academy and is closed down... it is a meeting place for young students who start beating each other for no reason at all. 3 students died at the hospital because of their injuries, one is still fighting for his life…….”

“He’s not going to make it sir, not …”
 

 

  • 2 months later 

Kibum stared annoyed at the widow of his mother’s car. The gloomy weather made him even more depressed. Welcome back to Korea “I’m so happy you’ve decided to come back home” His mother blew out some cigarette  smoke. It’s not that he wanted to return here, It was that stupid father of him that decided, London wasn’t a good place for him after what happened that night. 

He told kibum that this was his last chance to prove he can change, If he could behave for a year, his father will take him back home. 

“I wasn’t the perfect mother .. but I’ve cleaned our house when I knew you were coming”  Kibum scoffed and rolled his eyes. Yeah sure,  like cleaning up the house makes everything back okay. He ran away from his mother because of her drinking habits at the age of 10. Oh he just doesn’t care anymore, he was too tired to care. He still have some faded bruises all over his arms, his broken ribs weren’t  healed yet, he had to shave one side of his hair because of that head trauma.

Yet he looked good.. he felt like a rebel. The scabs around his lip always burst open and even laughing still hurts. Even the black eye was still visible if you looked closer. Maybe he went too far that night, maybe they all went too far.

3 of the 6 students didn’t make it. He could’ve been one of them… they almost gave up on him. Yet after all this, he still felt the urge to knock someone (especially the person that knocked him out) .

Addicted to violence.. addict, he was an addict.

He was weird, it was weird to love beating someone up.  He just loved the relief, the rage,  he couldn’t describe the word… He wasn’t normal.

“we’re here” she stopped the car and smiled at me. He had to smile back, right? It felt like she was waiting for a smile,  But he couldn’t.. her  eyes kept staring at him until he forced the corners of his mouth upwards. That was enough for her as she got out of the car.

He could barely remember the house. The front yard was cleaned, no weeds, no over-grown plants.
Even the house was painted in white.  He stood there, speechless, she did that?

“I did it all by myself, Took me 6 weeks. U better like it, drama queen. Don’ t look at the back of the house, I haven’t finished painting there” She laughed. Kibum smiled for the first time in years. “C—ool” He mumbled impressed. Felt some respect for her.

Maybe … there was a little chance she changed, just maybe he had to give her a second chance like his father gave him one.

His room looked the same, old drawings were still hanging on his walls, old manga were laying on his bed. It felt like pure nostalgia.

“Listen kibum” A soft voice came from behind him. “Everyone makes mistakes, I'm not going to judge yours.. I’m not going to ask you what happened in London, see this like a new start”

“Thanks” Kibum whispered. He knew his dad told her everything, yet she wanted to forget all his mistakes.  “so… A good friend of mine has a daughter, Sulli. Maybe the two of you can meet up?”  Kibum shook his head. “I’m tired, I have to go to school tomorrow, goodnight ..m-o- “ He couldn’t say mom or mother, because this woman became a stranger to him after 7 years.

“Okay, Goodnight key-“ He smiled at the nickname. “goodnight”

---

“Take my car, the keys are on the table. Have fun at school” My mother yelled as she closed the front door. So all of this wasn't’a dream, he wasn’t in London anymore.

Life was so boring in here, no morning fat free latte’s anymore, only green woods, depressing weather, ugly people,… He sighed as he drove to school. He wasn’t driving a BMW but a cheap old car. His luxurious life was officially over.

Everyone was staring at him when he parked his car at the small parking lot in front of the small school.

Everyone made space as he wanted to walk inside.  He stopped and turned around “YAH! what? Problems? ” he shouted annoyed. All the students were shocked by his sudden action.  Hehe…

 

“Hey hey” A guy with dark brown hair greeted kibum with a huge smile. It was kind of creepy. Kibum didn’t bother to answer him. “You’re  the new one right? Everyone is talking about you” kibum rolled his eyes. “and staring..” The guy laughed. “that’s because of your…” he stopped talking and looked at Kibum’s face. Oh right… he forgot about the wounds, black eye… he smirked “sorry”
 

“No it’s okay, This is a small town, so we are excited and curious for new students. I’m Lee Taemin” He wanted to shake kibums hand but kibum just ignored it. The guy felt awkward.

“I’m –“ he got interrupted “Kim Kibum right? but you prefer key?” This was scary… how did he know? “stalker” kibum mumbled. “no, don’t get me wrong but  your mother is beloved here, so she was  .. talking about you” He smiled innocent like a fairy. He was such a sweet guy.

“I guide you around” kibum scoffed, so annoying. He liked it.. in London no one spent attention to you.

That boy just kept on talking, there was no stopping. He showed kibum around  their classes, drew a floor plan so he wouldn’t get lost (in this small place) . Even in the canteen he wanted kibum to sit at his table.

All the students looked so ordinary, so normal. No fashion clothes, No fancy handbags…

“I’m Nam Woo-hyun” A guy joined the table with a girl beside him. Kibum just smiled back “I’m Nicole, you must the new one?” She smiled brightly. Kibum sighed “not really, i’ve been living here for 10 years now.. “ he said sarcastic. Nicole’s eyes widen “really? how come i’ve never seen you before?  ” everyone rolled their eyes.

“Krystal isn’t eating with us today..”  Woo-hyun stared frustrated at his phone. “I knew you like her!!” Taemin shouted excited. Woohyun blushed and shook his head “no way!” They were shouting playfully at each other, it kind of annoyed kibum. Why are these people so happy?

“aw c’mon, ---“ everyone stopped talking when the door of the canteen opened. Kibums eyes widen, He almost dropped his mouth. They were breathtaking… impossible that these were real people. Three boys walked gracefully but tough to a table in a corner of the canteen. They were followed by  a girl who was as perfect them. Kibum got a dent in his confidence. He swallowed.

Just perfect…

“who are they?” kibum mumbled still following every movement.

“They are the kim’s,  they are so perfect but kind of weird, they don’t talk to us or even eat..The tall one, with the big eyes is Minho, The other one with his tattoo’s is jay, then you have Hyuna and that stupid, ego-selfish, self-righteous, complacent… “ they all looked at Nicole who began to grind her teeth. She was boiling “Jonghyun” She scoffed.

Kibum smirked, she has been turned down by that Jonghyun guy. He stared at the table of the most beautiful creatures on earth. Jonghyun was smirking, while the others were staring at their table.

There was something about that guy… he had something… indescribably.

Kibums eyes glistened, that guy was handsome, no more than handsome. He knew from the start that he liked guys, his father doesn’t like it and still hoped after all this years that kibum would grow out of it.

A shock went through his body… black eyes were staring back at him. Jonghyun’s perfect face stiffened. He sniffed… He stared at Kibum as if he held a grudge against the boy. Like he was a disease or something..

He kept staring with his dark, almost black eyes… It scared the sh*t out of kibum.

“YAH!” kibum shouted at that kim guy. Everyone looked up surprised.  “what are you looking at? “ He wanted to start a fight so badly. He felt the temptation to just beat -- … He had to calm himself down. His wounds weren’t healed, yet he wanted to fight again.

He bit his lip en sat down again. Jonghyun was still staring at him … with a frowned eyebrow.

“You… have guts”