Epilogue

Are you happy?

Their moments

-Chansik’s family-

They all entered the photography studio, first Sanghyuk, greeting Hongbin cheerfully, followed by Hakyeon, a man with grey hair, shorter than Hakyeon by a few inches and a small woman with a mix between Sanghyuk and Chansik’s features. Chansik was the last one to enter the studio, exchanging a look with Hongbin. They both looked away after a few seconds, a small smile on their face and from Sanghyuk’s smirk, he seemed to be the only one to realize the couple’s exchange.

It was only two weeks into their relationship and they were taking it slow. They had been on a date the weekend before to a photography museum Hongbin really wanted to visit and then to the restaurant. Hongbin had shyly held Chansik’s hand as they walked around in silence but had been too shy to kiss him again and thought it was a better idea to wait, as great as was the kiss in the library the day he confessed. They were also texting everyday, a goodnight text from the first one to go to bed and a good morning text from the first one to wake up.

«Hi, I’m Hongbin and I’ll be your photographer today!» said Hongbin introducing himself seriously, trying to look professional in front of his boyfriend’s family.

«Nice to meet you Hongbin. Sanghyuk-ah talks about you quite a lot, I imagined you a lot younger. How old are you?» she asked, and Hongbin smiled. He gave Chansik a look, and Chansik just shrugged.

They seemed to have developed a way of communicating just by looking at each other, because just from that exchange Hongbin knew he had to figure out all by himself how to tell Chansik’s mom he was dating her oldest son.

«I’m Chansik’s age» he said. He bit his lip, trying to decide when was the best time to tell them. He and Chansik had no define plans to tell them, they just thought they would, but it was much easier said than done. Hongbin shot Sanghyuk a panicked look. The high school boy just chucked, checking his watch.

«Mom, Chansik and Hongbin have been dating for now 15 days, 3 hours and 18 minutes» he said before walking away towards the back of the studio where the equipment was set up.

A silence fell between all of them, Chansik walking towards Hongbin to stand next to him. He started talking in sign language with his mom, leaving Chansik to observe them.

«Finally» said Hakyeon with a smile. «You look cute together» he added, pointing between Hongbin and Chansik and walking away to meet Sanghyuk.

It was only the four of them now. Hakyeon’s father took a step towards Hongbin and extended his hand.

«I’m happy for you. Come over soon for dinner, will you?» he said, smiling. Hongbin nodded, taking Mr. Cha’s hand in his and shaking it. The man walked away to meet his son and stepson.

Hongbin was now left alone with Chansik and his mother who were still discussing in sign language. Hongbin tried to follow, only recognizing a few signs and realizing he still had a long way to go until he could use sign language well. Chansik’s mother finally looked in Hongbin’s direction, a serious look on her face.

«Are you sure you know everything you’ll have to deal with if you date my son? This isn’t like any of the relationships you’ve been in, and you can’t expect the same from Chansik as you expected from your previous boyfriends. Are you sure you won’t get tired after a few weeks and break up with him?» she asked, and before Hongbin could answer, she continued talking. «Can you deal with everyone’s judgment, because you’re dating someone deaf? Will you really learn sign language or you’ll give up because ‘it’s too hard’ or because you think Chansik is not worth it? Can you deal with the lack of communication?» she asked, and it had only made a smile appear on Hongbin’s face.

Hongbin reached out to take Chansik’s hand in his, still shy even though it wasn’t the first time. He exchanged a look full of adoration with the slightly older boy.

«I know what I’ll have to deal with. I like your son. I like him no matter what. I was already learning sign language after meeting him once. I was always breathless after just seeing him. And there’s no lack of communication between us. We figured it was important to concentrate on this when we started dating. To be comfortable telling each other everything» said Hongbin, smiling. Chansik meant so much to him; he didn’t want his boyfriend’s mom to doubt him or his feelings. «And for your information, Chansik is my first boyfriend. I’ve never been the type to date a lot» added Hongbin.

He looked at Chansik.

‘Is it okay?’ asked Chansik’s eyes. He probably couldn’t follow the conversation, and that must’ve been frustrating for him. Hongbin nodded to make him know everything was okay. He ruffled his hair affectionately and had to let go of his hand.

He grabbed his camera. Making sure the equipment was functional, he helped the family find a good position.

He liked taking pictures of sceneries more than he liked taking pictures of people, but it was still photography so he enjoyed it nonetheless. He made sure the lighting was alright and everyone looked good, snapping a few pictures.

He then took pictures of the couple and of the siblings, and even a few solo pictures because he still had time.

«I’m not a pro, but I guess I could take a few pictures of Chansik and you if you want» proposed Hakyeon as Hongbin snapped another picture of Sanghyuk. He gave Hakyeon a look, surprised by the proposition. He turned towards Chansik, noticing the boy was watching him. He pointed from himself to his boyfriend, then to the camera and Chansik’s eyes lit up as he nodded. Hongbin handed Hakyeon the expensive camera, showing him the basics; like how to zoom and how to see the pictures he took. He went to stand with his boyfriend in front of the camera.

«Stop looking so awkward!» said Hakyeon, making gestures with his hand for them to stand closer.

Hongbin looked at Chansik, biting his lip. They still weren’t used to all the touching, so he wasn’t sure what to do. He came closer, standing behind him and circled his arms around his boyfriend’s waist. He placed his shin on Chansik’s shoulder, smiling to the camera. It was weird, feeling Chansik so close to him. The weeks before, he could’ve only dreamt about it. He felt so happy with Chansik that sometimes, when he went to bed and received his goodnight text, he started giggling. Wonsik had officially declared him hopeless. 

«Aww» said Hakyeon as he took a few pictures. Chansik’s hands came to rest on top of his.

They separated and Chansik picked Hongbin up like a princess, bridal style. Hongbin, surprised, squealed and put his arms around Chansik’s neck. He stared at his boyfriend in awe, wondering how strong he was. Hongbin wasn’t exactly light, he wouldn’t say he was really heavy but it was still impressive for Chansik to be able to lift him up so easily. He smiled, taking Chansik by surprise and kissing his cheek for long enough so Hakyeon could snap a picture.

After that, they switched positions a few times before ending the photo shoot.

«The main photographer here is going to send you an email about the pictures. You’re lucky, it’s rare he leaves the studio to me» said Hongbin with a smile, putting the camera away.

Hongbin took out his phone for a second.

To: My Channie

I need to clean up a little bit, but do you want to stay? We can go get pizza. Or whatever you’d like to eat.

He waited for Chansik to see the messages. The boy nodded happily to Hongbin as he smiled and turn around to sign something to his mom.

The whole family was getting ready to leave, Chansik standing beside Hongbin as they watched them walk to the door.

«Take care of my son!» said Chansik’s mom as she closed the studio’s door behind herself.

Hongbin sighed, feeling his whole body relax.

He felt his phone buzz and looked up to see Chansik smiling at him, his phone in his hands.

From: My Channie

Did you really think they wouldn’t like you? You’re the best boyfriend ever. It was a given that they’d like you. Plus, anyone who makes me happy is part of the family.

Hongbin looked up at Chansik, his cheeks tinted red. He reached out and grabbed Chansik’s arm to bring him closer so they could hug. He took Chansik in his arms, holding him close. He nuzzled his face in his neck, smelling his cologne and the peppermint smell that always lingered around him because he adored peppermint gum, something he learnt after a few days dating him. Hongbin has been bringing a pack of peppermint gum with him everywhere ever since. He felt Chansik hug him back and sigh contently.

It was that night Hongbin mustered up the courage to kiss him again, on Chansik’s doorstep. He first chuckled awkwardly. Chansik signed him goodnight, but they were still standing in front of each other, neither Chansik going inside nor Hongbin going back to the dorms. They stared at each other, waiting to see what would happen. It was Hongbin who took a step closer and leaned in, brushing his lips against Chansik’s before pressing firmly, his eyes shutting close. It wasn’t as awkward as the first time, considering they were more comfortable with each other, but it was still very different. The first had been a way for Hongbin to prove how much he cared for Chansik. Now, it was a step further into their relationship, and a reminder it was real but almost something they both felt they had waited way to long to do again, and maybe it was why they both felt so needy to be close to each other. Hongbin grabbed his boyfriend’s waist, bringing him closer as he started moving his lips. Chansik’s hands were already up in in his, his fingers playing with it. It was like they were finally letting loose all the need and lust they had been feeling over the past 2 weeks, or even more in one kiss, so it’s why it got heated pretty fast, Hongbin deepening the kiss and Chansik starting to tug on his hair. They were still both lacking experience, but it still felt amazing.

It was as the door flew open that they separated at the speed of light, both breathing heavily and their cheeks flushed red.

«Oh…I haven’t seen anything!» yelled Sanghyuk, closing the door again, disappearing inside. Hongbin chuckled.

‘See you tomorrow’ signed Hongbin, smiling. He pecked Chansik’s lips one last time. Chansik nodded, watching his boyfriend walk away into the night with a smile on his face, thinking he’s never been this happy before, and thanking the universe for bringing someone as amazing as Hongbin into his life.


-Moving in together-

Hongbin grabbed another box to bring it into their dorm room. It was the last box, so he waved Chansik’s parents goodbye and flashed Chansik a smile before going up, letting his boyfriend say goodbye to his parents. It was almost a year into their relationship and they decided to live in the dorms together. Chansik thought it was a good idea to stop living with his parents and be more independent, and Wonsik managed get a room by himself, even if he was kind of mad Hongbin was giving up on him. He realized he did treat him like when they were rooming together and accepted the fact that Hongbin wanted to sleep in his boyfriend’s arms every night. Hongbin thought it was about time Chansik and him got a place where they could be alone. They often slept over at Chansik’s house, but it wasn’t like they had real intimacy. Sanghyuk always entered Chansik’s room without knocking, often finding his brother and Hongbin in a heated make out session. Chansik’s mom also often intruded, coming into the room to tell Chansik something or give him clothes she had cleaned or a snack.  They weren’t used to him having a boyfriend, so they didn’t know how to act around them. She was so used to baby him all the time that it was weird for her that her son was asking for her to leave them alone. There was also always someone somewhere in the house, and it was impossible to have the house to themselves with so many family members.

Hongbin dropped the box on the floor, a satisfied sigh escaping his lips. He stretched his arms and his shoulders, feeling tired. He plopped down on the bed and played with his phone as he waited for Chansik.

He had spent an amazing summer and didn’t really want to go back to school. Chansik and him had been on a trip to the seaside for a few days. They visited Chansik’s father in the countryside for a few days too. Chansik only saw him once or twice a year since his parents divorced when he was little and he was never closed to him, so he asked Hongbin to accompany him because he didn’t want to go alone. They also went camping with Wonsik, Sanghyuk, Sanghyuk’s best friend Sungjae, Junghwan as well as Jaehwan who magically appeared right before the departure and invited himself. It was an amazing summer and he had created amazing memories with his friends, and also for the first time managed to have some intimacy with his boyfriend.

Chansik came back a few minutes later, leaning down to peck Hongbin’s lips.

‘Help me move the beds’ signed Hongbin as he got up. Chansik nodded and help Hongbin push the beds so they were next to each other. Hongbin collapsed on the bed first, followed by Chansik and they met in the middle, Chansik naturally placing his head on Hongbin’s chest. He told Hongbin once that he liked that position so much because he could feel his heartbeat against his skin. Hongbin hands played with Chansik’s hair and they just cuddled, not caring that they had to undo the boxes and clean.

«I-I love you» said Chansik hesitantly. He wasn’t comfortable using his voice, but once in a while he would tell Hongbin he loved him or tell him a compliment. It meant so much to Hongbin. He grabbed Chansik’s hand and brought it to his mouth to kiss it. He intertwined their fingers, a smile on his lips.

«I love you too» he said, knowing Chansik could feel his body move when he talked from their position.

The first one to say ‘I love you’ was Chansik. Hongbin had been the one to make the first step for everything in their relationship, so it was a shock that Chansik made the first step for once. It was the first time Hongbin was sleeping over at Chansik’s house, 2 months into their relationship. They slept next to each other for the first time, cuddling. In the morning, Hongbin woke up to find Chansik staring at him with teary eyes.

«I love you» he said hesitantly, staring at Hongbin. It was at that moment Hongbin knew he wanted to wake up next to Chansik for as long as he lived, and it was after this moment they became inseparable. They were together everyday, to the point where seeing one without the other was almost impossible. They were always touching one way or another. Hongbin would either hold Chansik’s hand or have his arm around his waist, or just have their legs or arms touching. Hongbin’s theory was that it was then they understood nothing could come in between them anymore, so they stopped holding back to touch each other.

Chansik removed himself from the bed, sighing. He signed to Hongbin to come help him unpack everything.

Hongbin was proud at how good he became with sign language. Shinwoo was still giving him lessons. He showed up at one of them with Chansik one day, and although surprised that he was a boy, Shinwoo did admit they made a sweet couple. It was after that moment Hongbin wondered why it was stressing him so much to say he was gay when people obviously didn’t judge him for it. Most people were only surprised but no one was disrespectful or mean to him. He even came out to his parents, who accepted it pretty well. His mom said she always knew. They met Chansik and loved the boy, to the point that Hongbin couldn’t call his mom without her talking about Chansik and praising him and telling Hongbin how much she was glad her son had good taste and how excited she was to have him as her son-in-law. 

They started unpacking their clothes and putting them away in the closet. Hongbin was working slowly, stealing glances at his boyfriend every chance he got.

‘Ya! Work’ signed Chansik as he realized Hongbin wasn’t working, his eyebrows furrowed together as he glared at Hongbin. He hated doing work alone and he really wanted to get it done so they could relax as soon as possible. The younger boy smiled cutely.

‘I can’t. You’re too beautiful’ he signed back with a laugh, grabbing Chansik’s waist to bring him closer, pressing their bodies together. He waited for his love’s expression to turn from serious to cheerful, because he knew he couldn’t stay mad when Hongbin’s eyes promised kisses and touches, before he finally pressed their lips together.

And as cute as Hongbin’s adoration for Chansik was, it was the only reason they could never get anything done when they were together.


-Ji Eun-

It was early in the morning. Hongbin was preparing breakfast while Gongchan was shaving in the bathroom. Hongbin placed two cups on coffee and a few side dishes his mom had sent on the table. Since Chansik, for some reason, always made a mess in the kitchen, Hongbin had to take care of their meals. It was fine, because Chansik cleaned a lot more than he did, and he was happy to do things for his husband. They didn’t argue for things as unimportant as who makes breakfast or who does the dishes.

They were married for 3 years and they dated for 4 years before getting married so it meant they were lovers for 7 years. Their wedding had been pretty amazing, and pictures were hung up on the walls of their bedroom so this wonderful day would never be forgotten. Their first dance had been done in complete silence, and it had been a very touching moment for both of them. Hongbin wanted to do it in silence to show he was ready to make sacrifices for Chansik’s happiness. Junghwan had started crying in the middle of his speech and it was also the day where Junghwan finally was introduced to Jaehwan and some kind of spark happened between them because they ended up dating, their wedding being in a few weeks. Sanghyuk sobbed like a baby during the whole ceremony when Chansik said ‘I do’ aloud, and it caused a chained reaction, making his mom cry, as well as Hakyeon, Wonsik and even Shinwoo, and Hongbin swore he even saw the cold Taekwoon dry a tear. They went on a honeymoon to Italy for a week and bought their house not long after.

His phone ringing brought Hongbin back. He grabbed it from the table, answering, too lazy to check the caller ID.

«Hello?» he said, sitting down at the table, resting his chin in his hand.

«Hongbin, it’s Mrs. Lee. I wanted to call you as soon as I got the good news, so sorry it’s this early in the morning» said the lady who took care of Jieun at the orphanage into the phone in an apologetic tone, but she also sounded excited. Hongbin didn’t want to get his hopes up too much, but he was hoping it was finally the time they had been waiting for.

«The paperwork was accepted and everything is done. You can come pick her up as soon as today» she said, and Hongbin opened his mouth but no word would come out. He blinked a few times as tears dwell up in his eyes.

«Jieun…Jieun can come home?» asked Hongbin, his voice trembling from the emotion.

«Yes, finally. I know how long that was for you both, and I am positive you’ll be amazing parents. I’ll hang up so you can go celebrate with your husband. See you later!» said Mrs. Lee. Hongbin hung up and put the phone back on the table. He sat there for a minute, trying to wrap his mind around what was happening.

Jieun was coming.

Tears streamed down his face. He jumped back to his feet, running to the bathroom where Chansik was splashing his face with water after he finished shaving. He turned around when he saw Hongbin in the mirror and frowned at his husband’s state. He tried to take a step forward but was stopped by Hongbin. He took a few breaths, trying to control his trembling hands.

‘Jieun is coming’ he signed, and he watched as the realization hit Chansik and he was crying as well.

It was only an hour later after a half eaten breakfast was left on the table and two excited boys calmed down that they were in the car. Hongbin held Chansik’s hand as he drove but his mind was elsewhere. He tried remembering if they had enough food for 3 in the refrigerator, and he tried to remember if everything in Jieun’s room was clean and at the right place. He had changed the bed sheets the week before because he was afraid they were becoming too dusty. The room was pink, because Jieun said it was her favorite color. They had bought her clothes and games, and every thing a six-years old could want. Knowing this empty and depressing room will finally belong to a kid made Hongbin’s heart feel warm. He will no longer feel sad whenever he walked past the room.

They parked in front of the orphanage. None of them moved. They just sat in the car, holding hands and trying to calm down their erratic heartbeats. Hongbin turned towards his husband.

‘Are you ready?’ he signed, and Chansik nodded. They both got out of the car. Hongbin thought he was about to die because his heart was beating so fast. He opened the door for Chansik, the door he went through so often in the past months to visit Jieun. At least once a week, they were both there playing games with her.

She was sitting on a chair near the door, her feet swinging back and forth. The six years old girl’s eyes lighted up at the sigh of the couple. She jumped down the chair and ran to Chansik, jumping into his arms. He pulled her up easily and she threw her arms around his neck.

‘Is it true?’ she signed to Hongbin. ‘I can go with you?’ One of her small hands went up to her hair to push her bangs that were slightly too long back. Her hair was a mess, mostly because she was usually way too excited to try to be careful. Her ponytail was falling apart.

‘Yes. We’re going home’ signed Hongbin, trying not to cry again.

It was a few months before that they met the deaf little girl, and it was at that moment they knew they had met their daughter. It took a long time, but it was finally time to take her home.

‘Why are you crying?’ she signed, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. Hongbin chuckled, realizing that indeed a tear had run down his cheek without him realizing. He ruffled the young girl’s hair.

‘Because I’m happy.’

And he would always remember this moment as one of the happiest in his life. 


A/N: This is the end *sobs*

I hope you enjoyed the epilogue! I will probably be back one day with another Hongchan fic :) 

I'm so happy, we are having so many Hongchan moments lately. Idol olympics, dream concert, and Hongbin going on the best friend special of A Song For You, the show Gongchan is a MC for. 

Thank you all so much for reading! I tried my best with this story, I hope you liked it <3