Chapter 9

I Know I'm Evil

The elevator door opened and I walked out of the apartment complex. I didn’t bother to dust off the building debris from my clothes and just pulled my sweater hood over my head. I think I heard police sirens in the distance and immediately quickened my walking pace. I walked further and further down a wooded path to the side of the apartment complex.

 

I could feel a presence close to me and chuckled dryly.

 

“I thought you were going to try to stop me from killing people.” I said.

 

“Yeah well, I hear what that guy did to your parents and...felt sorry for you I guess.” Miles shrugged.

 

“I don’t need your pity. What’s done is done now.”

 

“What are you going to do now?”

 

I slowed down and stopped in the middle of the dense forest staring straight ahead.

 

“You don’t know?” Miles asked.

 

I felt as if a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders, but at the same time, I felt hollow and goal-less. I avenged my parents’ death. But…what now?

 

I slowly looked down at my hands. “…I don’t know.”

 

“Huh.” Miles blinked at me.

 

“Well do you have any ideas?” I glanced at him annoyed.

 

He shrugged. “Not really. It’s your life.”

 

“But you were so content about stopping me from doing things you didn’t like. Why did you change your mind so suddenly?”

 

“I mean, there’s not much I can do in this state except talk big but fall short on my inability to actually do stuff. Maybe if I accept that I’m a ghost, I can finally get out of your life.”

 

Before I could respond, his figure started to fade out in front of my eyes.

 

Miles blinked and looked down at himself. “Whoa…I feel better already.” He met my eyes one last time and waved a little. “See ya.”

 

Then he was gone. His presence completed faded away from my senses and I was all alone in the dark forest. The sun was starting to set and the trees grew darker under the orange, setting sun.

 

I stood in silence for a long time as the police sirens faded away gradually. Then I looked up at the setting sun.

 

Then in that moment, I came up with a new resolution. A new goal. I realized how much of a thrill it was to kill Moon Hyunwook and take control over his body the way I did. I thought about all of the possible things I could do with my powers that involved killing more people. A small part of me argued with me over the moral of that thought. I did consider for a second that killing people for fun would be rather cannibalistic. So I thought of another approach. I could manipulate people to get them to do what I want them to do and continue practicing and mastering my power.

 

At that point my mind was made up. I had to become more powerful.