Chapter 4

I Know I'm Evil

I must admit I slept very well the first night I discovered my power. I ate so much that my stomach hurt a little. It wasn’t filled up with so much food in a very long time. I probably ate enough to satisfy the gods. I happened to get a craving for Italian food so I visited the most popular Italian restaurant in my town. I didn’t say a single word to the smiling server who brought me three big plates of pasta, bread, and salad. Once I ate as if I never ate anything in my life, I simply walked toward the cashier in front of the exit, focused my power on him so that he’d let me go without accidentally killing him, and walked out. Nobody stopped more or arrested me. Nobody approached me the entire walk toward a fancy motel. Once at the front desk, I did the same thing: focused on the power that surged through my eyes and molded the cashier’s actions into giving me a hotel key and motioning me toward my room. As I let his mind go, I heard him fall to the ground behind me. I don’t know if he died, but it reminded me to focus my power continuously.

 

I didn’t bother to wash up or take any clothes off. I collapsed into the bed in my room and turned over onto my back carefully. My stomach was satisfied along with my mindset for once. For once I wasn’t starving and on the street without a pillow or blanket to comfort me. I opened my tired eyes and looked around the motel room. I was here because of my new-found power.

 

Thoughts started running through my head, but they soon vanished along with my consciousness. I fell asleep in less than ten seconds.

 

 

“Hey.”

 

The sudden voice jerked me out of a deep sleep and I sat up quickly. Who would come into my room so quietly and unlocked my door?

 

Then I looked to my right. It was Miles in his ghostly form.

 

“You.” I said a bit shakily.

 

“You snore really loud.” Miles said with a very serious face.

 

“Why are you here? Are you still mad that I killed you?” I sighed and rubbed my face.

 

“Yeah, pretty much. I’m pretty mad.” Miles said.

 

“Well there’s nothing I can do about it! I’m sorry! Can you please leave me alone?” I tried to ask curtly.

 

“No. I’ll never leave you alone. For as long as you live, I’ll haunt you and stop you from killing other people.”

 

“How are you going to do that?”

 

“I’ll find a way. I don’t know how ghosts do stuff, since I’ve never been one, but once I figure it out, you should be very scared.”

 

I chuckled very dryly. “You’re telling me to be scared? I’m the one who can control minds. You should be scared.”

 

“How can you control my mind? I’m a ghost.”

 

I narrowed my eyes, focusing my power on Miles. I felt my power flowing, but Miles’s expression didn’t change. I focused my power even harder, grunting a little, but still Miles just kept standing there.

 

Finally I gave up and fell back a little, breathing hard.

 

“That’s what I thought. I’m uncontrollable to you.” Miles almost smirked in relief.

 

“Damnit…” I breathed and held the side of my head. I suddenly got a headache.

 

“I guess you still have more to learn about using this power of yours.” Miles said.

 

“Shut up.” I massaged my side temple gently then lowered my back down on the bed. “Get out. I’m tired and I want to sleep.”

 

“I want to sleep too. But I can’t. Because I’m a ghost.” Miles’s eyes narrowed a little.

 

I didn’t bother answering him, just closed my eyes and let my mind relax again. Miles didn’t say anything else. Soon my mind relaxed enough for me to drift back into a light sleep.