Chapter 5

I Know I'm Evil

The next time I woke up, the sun was shining into my motel room through thin curtains on the window to the right of my mind and I stretched out my arms above my head. After lying still for a moment, I sat up and rubbed my face. My mind was very calm and rested, which is rare since I’m always waking up next to street lamps and barking dogs. Aside from the interruption from Miles, I had a perfect night of rest.

 

Then I remember Miles and looked to my right. There was nothing situated in front of the window. I sighed a bit in relief and got out of the bed. I walked into the bathroom and the warm-sided faucet and watched the water flow down from the spout. Then my head rose and I met my own eyes in the mirror. I cupped my hands under the spout and let them fill with warm water. Then I splashed it on my faced and rubbed my skin. That feeling alone was extremely refreshing.

 

After a few minutes, I walked out of the bathroom and picked up the TV remote situated on the desk next to my bed. I pointed it toward the TV across from my bed and pressed the power button.

 

“—tables have been proven to strengthen your immune system. We shall all head this advice and take care of our health respectively. On the other hand, accused townsman Moon Hyunwook, suspected to have been the murderer of a local family nearly seventeen years ago, has been set free of all charges and all police searches have been called off.”

 

My back was turned away from the TV at that moment, but every fiber in my body froze. I knew that name too well. Moon Hyunwook. Every police officer and therapist told me that name. They all said he was going to be hunted down and punished for his actions. That the search for him would never end. Now what is this? The search was called off?

 

I slowly turned toward the TV screen and came face-to-face with the smug-looking Moon Hyunwook staring right back at me.

 

“The search for Mr. Moon went on for nearly seventeen years after the family was murdered. Police searched far and wide relentlessly for so long, but now they have just announced their next action.”

 

The screen switched to a live action picture of a police officer reading from a piece of paper on a podium with many microphones attached to it.

 

“After seventeen years, we decided to call off the search for Mr. Moon Hyunwook. It has been so long that we surmised he passed away or moved out of the country. Therefore, we will not worry about it any longer and use our officers to focus on current cases. That is all, thank you.” The officer bowed and the screen turned back to the news anchor, but then the glass on the TV shattered and sparks started flying from the cracked glass vibrantly.

 

I was staring at the broken box with complete rage in my eyes. How could the police give up so easily?! I was told countless times that my parents would be avenged and my life would not look so grim! I was supported, comforted, and led to believe that such a possibility would exist for me. That the man who killed my parents so easily would get what he deserved. But no. They let him get away with it. He’s probably alive somewhere…basking in his glory.

 

My fingers slowly balled into fists. No…he won’t get away with the murder of my parents…I will track him down myself, even if it takes the rest of my life! That bastard doesn’t deserve to live! And now with my new-found power…I will take my own action.

 

“You’re dead.” I whispered lowly, releasing my fists. I let loose an enormous surge of pent up power I was holding onto and the room shook violently. Pictures fell from the walls and I heard the bathroom window break.

 

“Geez, the housekeeping staff works hard to clean these rooms. What you just did was rude.” A calm voice stated to my right.

 

My eyes slowly closed and an annoyed sigh escaped my mouth. “Seriously…?”

 

“What? You think I disappeared? Nope. I’m still here.” Miles said.

 

“I’m leaving now.” I turned toward the slightly cracked door and pushed it open.

 

“I’m not done with you.” Miles replied.

 

As I walked down the hall and out through the front doors of the motel entrance, I kept my gaze straight ahead. I had my goal and I was going to set out and—

 

“Do you even know where you’re going?” Miles’s voice felt very close to me, but when I looked around me, I didn’t see him following me.

 

“That’s none of your business.” I spat, moving my gaze back to the front.

 

“I’m not gonna let you kill anyone.”

 

“Good for you.”

 

“I’m serious.”

 

I continued walking and blinked a couple times. I realized I truly didn’t know where I was going. I needed to get the location of Moon Hyunwook as soon as possible and avenge my parents. But I didn’t know where he was or the amount of time it was going to take to track him down. I didn’t even know what his job was.

 

“You seem troubled.” Miles said.

 

“Leave me alone.” I hissed, ignoring glances from people passing by me.

 

“Nope. It’s your fault I’m like this, and I’m still not very happy about that.”

 

“So you’re gonna spend the rest of your time haunting me?” I asked quietly, realizing I probably looked strange talking to myself so seriously.

 

“I don’t really have any other options, don’t I?” Miles asked.

 

“You could pass on. Go to heaven. Or hell.” I muttered.

 

“I don’t know how.”

 

“I’m so sorry for you.” I said, not sorry at all. Finally I stopped and sighed, looking around. I was surrounded by various clothing stores and food cafes.

 

I need to find a clue…something that would help me find Moon Hyunwook…