Chapter 7

I Know I'm Evil

After about thirty minutes on the bus, I stepped off at the street Kyunghoon gave me and looked forward. The apartment complexes were a short walk up a hill. I took in a quick breath and started making my way up.

 

With each passing step I took, I became more and more anxious. I was really nervous about approaching Moon Hyunwook’s door and discovering him not living there anymore. At that point I would have had no other way to figure out where he lives and I would have to start from scratch again. But I pushed that thought down and continued walking up the hill.

 

“You’re not gonna get away with this.” Miles’s voice sounded from my side.

 

I didn’t bother moving my gaze. “You can’t stop me now. Not that you could before.”

 

“I said I wouldn’t let you kill any more people, so I will do everything I can to stop you from getting to this person’s house.”

 

Suddenly Miles appeared in front of me, making me stop and let out a short, huffed breath.

 

“Will you stop that?!” I shouted.

 

“Killing people is wrong and doesn’t help whatever situation you’re in. It just makes it worse.”

 

“Thank you for your wise advice.” I stepped around him and continued walking, but his figure appeared in front of me once again.

 

“If you kill this man, what will it accomplish for you? Really?” Miles pressed.

 

“You really want to know what it will accomplish for me?” I asked.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Fine. I’ll tell you once. This man murdered my parents when I was only eight years old and never got punished for it. I was promised countless times that justice would be served and that my friends and family would always support me. But look what happened? I’m all alone and he’s still running around unpunished! I know that killing him won’t bring back my parents. I’m not stupid. But he doesn’t deserve to live.” I felt water rushing to my eyes but I pushed them down. I hadn’t cried in a very long time and I wasn’t about to start now.

 

Miles stared at me with an undistinguishable expression on his face.

 

I quickly ran past him and approached Moon Hyunwook’s apartment building. I looked back down at the post-it note Kyunghoon gave me. Hyunwook was on the 5th floor. I pressed the button for the elevator and stepped inside.

 

Then I was standing outside of Moon Hyunwook’s apartment door. I could hear small noises coming from the other side and relaxed a little. Someone was home. My hand rose to knock on the door, but my arm remained still hovering over the wood of the door.

 

This was it. This was the moment I’ve been waiting for my whole life. Now I just had to do it and savor every moment.

 

I took in another small breath and knocked on the door, praying that Moon Hyunwook would be the one to open it.