Chapter 1

I Know I'm Evil

We all have our mistakes. We have times when we look back at our actions and think, "Why did I do that? What was I thinking?"

Well mine are no different.

I didn't choose this fate. I didn't ever expect events to lead to this current moment. But I figured I've seen enough of Fruits Basket and my most loyal assistant has temporarily moved out. I guess I don't blame him. He didn't really see a purpose staying with me. It's not like I'm doing anything particularly evil.

And why should I? I have no purpose now.

But while I am still able to form thoughts, I might as well elaborate on my actions and do some soul searching, even if no one cares about me anymore.



"Mr. Kim?"

I looked up from the essay I was writing. I was seated in the front row of my elementary school class. Our teacher was looking at me. There was another staff member next to her. He wasn't looking at me.

"You are being summoned to the principal's office. There is some information you need to hear."

Everyone around me immediately made small noises and glanced at me in awe. I was a good student and I was never sent to the principal's office unless I was delivering documents.

I stayed still for a moment. I was just as surprised as my classmates. Then I stood up and followed the staff member into the hallway. He didn't say anything to me. He just walked beside me in uncomfortable silence.

A million questions were running though my head, but I stayed quiet and kept my head down. I would find out soon enough why our principal needed to talk to me.

I just wish it was something about my school work or getting along with my classmates. Anything than what I heard him say...



"Mr. Kim...what I am about to say to you might be difficult for you to comprehend. Before I tell you, please be strong. You have many friends and family that love you and want to support you. Do you understand?"

Our principal spoke to me very seriously, but I could also hear a hint of sadness in his tone.

"Yes." I nodded with my head down. I was very scared at this point. I started thinking about all the thing I might have done wrong during this year, but nothing was coming to mind.

Our principal paused for a moment, then spoke very quietly.

"Mr. Kim...your parents...have been murdered."

Me entire mind and body froze.

"They were inside your house when someone approached it and set it on fire. The entire house burned down. Your parents never escaped..."

There was a long silence in the room.

"According to the police, they are searching everywhere for the person responsible for this unforgivable crime."

I couldn't move a muscle. It felt like my soul was ripped out of my body.

"Mr. Kim." Our principal spoke gently. "I couldn't possibly imagine what you're thinking right now, but..."

Our principal's voice suddenly faded and my entire world turned black. Literally and figuratively.

I fell to the floor completely unconscious. I plunged into a deep, dreamless sleep. I think I saw a vision of my parents standing in front of me and they spoke some things to me, but even now I'm not sure if that really happened...