For The Last Time

My Immortal

HELLO READERS!!! So... here's the second to the last chapter!!! This story is about to end (FINALLY, I KNOW) and I want to take the chance to say THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance, because despite taking too much time giving you guys crappy chapters at times, you guys still stayed and patiently waited for this story to end. I really am sorry that I did not meet your expectations (after "Turning Tables" and "Love? It's A Two Way Street" which I admit are much better than this one), but I really did my best, given the circumstances in which I am in. I promise I will try to do better next time.

So... without further ado... HERE GOES NOTHING!!! ENJOY!!(?)


LII

For The Last Time


Jimin’s POV:

When I woke up in the morning inside my own room, I took my time opening my eyes and lazing on top of my soft bed. A short glance at the alarm clock lying on the bedside table told me that it was still quite early in the morning. Well, not really. If it was a work day for me, I would already be rushing out of bed and groggily making my way to the bathroom.

However, despite today being a Friday – a work day, I did not do my usual work day routine. Instead of taking a quick shower the instant I managed to coerce myself out of bed, I made my way to the curtains and opened them, letting in a the faint morning light coming from the yet-to-rise sun of Korea.

“Ahhh… Korean sunrise.” I hummed, feeling the warmth seeping into my skin.

Today, I was given a day off from work, in preparation for my coming transfer to another branch in another country. And I decided to spend the day preparing for my despedida party tomorrow.

When I was already fully awake, I walked out of my room after fixing the bed – a rare thing for me to do – and went straight to the sound system in the living room. I tuned in to a station that featured good modern songs in the morning and adjusted the volume to a level that I knew it would still be heard in the kitchen. Afterwards, I proceeded to making breakfast for myself. There were still some bacon left in the fridge, and since I was going to restock later, I decided to cook all of those for my breakfast, along with the left over rice and two eggs.

I cooked the eggs first, one being sunny side up with a runny yolk in the center, and the other one scrambled. Then, I proceeded with the bacon. I then used the oil in the pan that came from the bacon to cook the fried rice. I really like it that way, since the flavor of the bacon would stick to the fried rice as as well.

It took me thirty minutes to finish cooking, and when I did, I heard the main door of the house open.

I did not panic though, since I already know who it is. In fact, I am expecting him to come around this time.

A short chuckle made its way out of my mouth. He’s always in time for food.

“You should’ve knocked first, you know.” I said to him as I put my breakfast on the table. “You’re abusing the key that I’ve given you.”

“Nah, you’re fine with that.” Taehyung countered, sniffing the air right afterwards like a dog. “Mmmm… smells like bacon!”

“Well there is bacon.” I answered him.

“Too bad I’m already full…”

“Not planning to share any to you, though.” I said. “I just got up from bed… I’m gonna eat breakfast first before we go.”

“I’ll wait here, then.” Taehyung answered. He then took the one of the seats beside the table and watched me eat. “So… whose car are we using today?”

“Let’s use mine.” I said to him. “I don’t want to use up your fuel.”

“Okay.” Taehyung agreed. The table then fell into a comfortable silence for a few moments before he decided to speak again.

“You know,” Taehyung started. “I… ran into Jungkook a few days ago.”

Even though I know that it shouldn’t have affected me anymore, given what happened before, I still could not help but stiffen a bit at the mention of his name. It’s fine, it will take time to really move on. Let’s wait, okay?

And based from the stop of Taehyung’s speech, I knew that he noticed Jungkook’s name’s effect on me.

“I think he’s reconsidering his viewson this matter, Jimin.” He continued. I shifted my look from the food in front of me to him, and raised a brow.

“So what do you want me to do, Taehyung?”

“Well… maybe we can wait – ”

“What? Wait again? Do nothing and wait for him to come to me?” I asked him. He pursed his lips in silence, but I did not stop there. “I did what I can do, Taehyung. I even asked him straight in the face if I should stay for him or not. Yes, maybe I did a mistake when I handled things on my own… but… but I don’t deserve this, Tae.”

Just like that, I lost my apetite. The food was delicious, really, but after what happened, I did not feel like eating anymore. In fact, I feel like throwing up.

Because of that, I stood up and motioned to get the metal cover, so I eat the food later that day.

“So… that’s it?” Taehyung asked. “You’re just going to give up?”

Involuntarily, I slammed the metal lid down on top of the table and sent a glare to Taehyung.

“It wasn’t me who gave up first, Kim Taehyung.” I blurted out. “It’s he. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll just take a bath.”

Just before I turned my back to him, I saw Taehyung hang his head low between his shoulders. “I-I’ll just… watch TV or something. While waiting.”

“Okay.”

With that, I continued walking to my room to get ready for the day. I entered the bathroom with a frown on my face.

In the middle of my bath, maybe due to the mesmerizing warmth of the water, guilt for how I behaved back in the dining room began setting into me. It was rude – ungrateful even – for me lash out at Taehyung for what he said. After all, all he was trying to do was to help me.

Maybe he’s feeling like this is all partly his fault. I thought to myself. That’s why he’s trying his best to help in fixing this. Maybe I should say sorry to him and tell him to not feel bad at all, for he had nothing to do with how Jungkook and I are ending up. In fact, it is I who’s supposed to feel guilty… Jin-hyung and him are doing great before that incident.

I ruined it for him.

“Stupid, Jimin, stupid!” I softly cursed myself. Realizing the extent of your wrong decision was never a good feeling. But at least, it lets you acknowledge how much damage you have done, and feel sorry about it, if not fix it all back.

I tried fixing my relationship with Jungkook, but I cannot, because he would not let me. And for some reason, I cannot feel sorry about it, though.

But for ing up Taehyung’s and Jin’s blossoming relationship, there still may be a chance for them.

But that is the least of my problems for now. But I swear, once I sort myself out, I will do my best to help them be happy with each other.

After rinsing away the soap suds that were on my skin, I turned the shower off and dried myself up before stepping out of the show. I quickly got changed into a fresh set of comfortable, casual clothes that would be good enough for going to the supermarket. After checking my appearance in the mirror a few more times, I finally stepped out of my room and into the living room.

True to what he said, Taehyung was sitting on one of the sofas – uncomfortably, if compared to his usual behavior – watching television. His eyes immediately flicked upwards and met mine when the sound of my door closing reached his ears.

This is supposed to be a chill day, Jimin. I silently berated myself. Great job in ruining it.

I slowly approached himto apologize. “Look, Tae,” I started when I was already beside him. “I’m sorry for lashing out at you a while ago. I just… I just lost control.”

Almost immediately, his face lit up, sending a smile to me. “Nah… it’s fine.” He said. “Whooo! I thought you were mad at me.”

“Well, it was a close one, I suppose.” I jokingly said, making him send me a shocked face. “Just kidding, of course! I’ll never get mad at you for petty things like that. After all, you’re just trying to help me, right?”

“Yup, that’s right.”

“It’s too late, though.” I said to him. The next five seconds were only awkwardly filled with the sound of the TV, and it was I who broke that silence with a clap.

“Okay, let’s go!” I cheered, aiming for the switch of the machine. I hastily checked if all appliances were turned off before I left the house, Taehyung trailing right behind me the whole time.

I took the wheel and with Taehyung drove to the nearby supermarket that offered lots of options. I was planning to offer vegetable salad in the party, along with hotdogs and marshmallows on sticks. I knew they would be easy to find in the supermarket, along with the fruits that were also part of the planned menu.

Taehyung also took the chance to restock his own fridge and pushed with him his own cart. He mostly bought snacks and unhealthy-looking junkfood that caused me to scold him a bit. But who am I kidding? I was with Taehyung, and when it comes to his food preferences, he cannot be stopped.

His unhealthy-and-meaty diet was also the reason why I ended up buying extra bags of hotdogs and marshmallows.

After buying stuff from the supermarket, I drove the car to the wet market where we can buy fresh meat and fish. Looking around me, with all the people interacting with each other, I started feeling kind of lonely. It could be a long time before I would have the chance to do this again. I sure am going to miss this when I leave for America.

Taehyung seemed to have sensed the sudden change in my mood, because he put a hand on my shoulder and squeezed it.

“Jimin,” Taehyung said in a soft voice. “You’re coming back for this, right?”

I let a smile lift the corner of my lips. “Of course I will.” I answered. “I’m surely gonna miss this.”

“So don’t leave?” He tried. I was about to answer him with a reprimand, but he quickly said that he was just kidding, so I just let it pass.

Along with Taehyung, who I asked to carry all the bags of meat that I have already bought, I roamed the market place, talking to nice adjummas that were selling fresh, newly cut pork and beef parts. I also bought chicken and duck meat from another stall for variety. It was costly, yes, but if this would be the last party that I will throw before I leave, I would not hold back at all. I want everyone to remember me as someone who loved to party and to eat, someone who was always happy, like the way I was years ago.

We finished buying all the food that I was going to need, along with disposable sticks and the seasonings and spices at around at around noon. Taehyung insisted on eating outside on some restaurant, but I refused. I wanted us to just buy food and take it back to my house to eat it. It is much more convenient and comfortable that way – after all, the traffic is not that heavy, so we would reach my home in no time. He eventually gave in after putting up one hell of a fight, after telling him that I would be leaving soon and that I would really appreciate it if he will let me eat in my own beloved house.

I did have to endure lots of huggin and cooing from a sad Taehyung, but at least I got it my way. Not that I do not like it, though. In fact, I realized I am going to miss such treatment from Taehyung.

We ate our take out food from a small but famous stall in the market once we were back in my own house. We spend quite a large amount of money for an equally large amount of good food, but after eating, I actually felt like we should have bought more.

That is another thing that I will miss once I leave this place.

After we finished eating, Taehyung helped me prepare the food for tomorrow. Together, we cleaned the cut the vegetables that would be used for the salad and the skewers. We also recut some of the meat into what we thought were the good sizes for grilling, combined them with the marinade that that was also made by the two of us.

It was fun, really. It was a bestfriend-y thing to do.

“Woah…” Taehyung sighed, wiping the non-existent sweat on his forehead. “That was a lot.”

“I know.” I answered as I put the containers in the fridge for tomorrow. “But I bet tomorrow nothing would be left. You eat A LOT of meat, Tae.”

All that Taehyung answered to that was a wide smile, the same one that I had seen the first day that we met. It was a very distant time in the past, but I still remember it perfectly. It was the start of my life, really. A lot had happened since then, and now that I am about to move on to another chapter of my life, all of these memories are making me think if I am really ready to move forward.

Move forward alone.

It did not take long before Taehyung said that he would be leaving. But just before he left, when his feat were already just before the doorway, he turned to me and asked.

“Jimin,” He said. “Don’t you think you can try for just one last time?”

I let out what I supposed was a meaningful sigh. “Tae… I… I can’t start over again with this.” I answered. “He already made it clear. It’s over.”

The way his eyes turned sad with my answer made my insides drop.

“Okay, then.” Said Taehyung. “I’ll get going.”

“Yeah, thanks Tae.” I said to his retreating back. “Take care.”

Once he was gone, silence rang inside the house. It was quiet and peaceful, but I knew better than to bask in it carelessly. I knew it was just the calm before the storm. I already invited over everyone that I think should be there in my party – my friends, my family, even Jungkook and Youngbae, for that matter. The former two said that they will be staying over tomorrow to go with me in the morning to the airport.

I looked around the house that I have managed to build with my own effort and money. I already readied duplicate keys that I would be distributing to all of my friends and my family before I go so they could take care of it and use it. It , really, for me to leave this house behind, but I suppose it is impossible for me to bring it with me.

I sighed and stretched my limbs. “Okay… one last time. Let’s clean OUR house up, Jimin.”


The next day was a very busy one, filled with preparations for the party later in the afternoon. In contrast to yesterday, I am alone this time, because Taehyung cannot file two consecutive leaves. I took out the grill that I have in my house along with some party tables and chairs. It will be a rather small gathering, so I did not bother with the aesthetics of the place.

I also had a sound system setup just beside the doors to my house. I was so busy with what I was doing that I actually did not notice lunch time passing me by. I did not feel hungry at all, so it really did not matter. Besides, there will be lots of food later, so it is fine.

The food that I reserved for today was the first to come. The delivery staff filed into my house one by one, carrying trays and trays of food with them. By the time that they were done, the dining table in my kitchen, as well as my counter, was already covered in food. Nearly everyone that I knew who were coming later were heavy eaters, so I guess the quantity was just fine.

Nearly immediately after the delivery crew left, my family came through the gate. It has been some time since I last saw them, and because of that, I have become detached and distant from them. But nevertheless, they are still my family.

I thought it is only right to have them over before I leave the country.

“Jimin!” My eomma said with an energetic voice as she came rushing to hug me. “We missed you, son.”

“I missed you too, eomma.” I answered back. “It’s been quite a long time, yeah?”

“Yeah…” She answered. “It’s been quite some time since you left home to be independent. So, I see you’re doing fine.”

“More than fine, really.” I answered. Well, in terms of material things, that is.

“Have you found anyone since then?” My appa asked. He was eyeing the frames hanging on the walls. “You know… it’s been a long time since the Taehyung incident.”

My mother casted the older man a look of disapproval. “Appa…”

“I’m already fine.” I answered. “I mean… that’s already far in the past. Tae and I are good friends now. As for someone new…” I paused, thinking of what to tell them. “There’s this… someone. But it’s not mutual, unfortunately. Not mutual anymore, I mean.”

“Oh…” Eomma nodded. “You guys broke up?”

“Well… the whole thing’s kinda messed up, really.” I responded. For some reason, it does not feel uncomfortable to talk to them about it.

“I see…” Appa said. “Let’s not talk about it, okay? Today, we should have lots of fun!”

“Yeah, yeah, he’s right.” The only woman in the room agreed. “So, what shall we do now?”

I smiled at the two of them and their attitudes. They have changed a lot. Maybe it was just because it has been a really long time since we last saw each other. Or maybe it was because I am already about to leave. But anyway it is a really good and welcome change. Too bad I would not be able to experience it longer.

“The party’s starting later this afternoon.” I answered them. “Just… get your stuff and put them inside the guest room down that hall. Then we can put the food outside and prepare the grill.”

The two of them just nodded and walked over to the direction of the guest room. After a few minutes they went out again and helped me with the preparations of the food, with eomma and I checking the dishes and arranging them on the tables outside while appa started the grill.

At around five in the afternoon other people started coming for the party. As expected, Taehyung was the first one to come. He was still dressed in his office attire – not that I minded, though, because it will be just us.

He immediately caught sight of my parents. His smile, which was already there, grew even wider as he approached them. He greeted them with so much familiarity you would even think that Taehyung is a family friend.

I half expected them to act awkward with each other, but no. In fact, they seemed too act so natural with each other. Taehyung even helped my father get the fire going and stable in the grill.

Next to come were Yoongi, Hoseok and Namjoon. The three of them walked into the yard like it was their house, already chattering endlessly and loudly. But the moment they saw my parents, their mouths immediately shut up.

I do not really recall how many times they have seen each other in the past. Most likely, this would be the first time.

“Hyungs!” I yelled at them, motioning with my hand for them to come closer. All three of them – in a well-bahaved manner – came closer to me. “Meet my parents. Appa, eomma, these are my friends, Yoongi-hyung, Hoseok-hyung, and Namjoon-hyung.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Park.” As expected, Namjoon was the first to step forward. Yoongi and Hoseok followed and bowed to the elders.

“It’s a pleasure.” My mother answered. “So, is everyone already here?”

“Not really.” I answered. “We’re waiting for three more people.”

“Well, just two now.” Hoseok commented, his gaze directed to the gates. “Here comes Jin-hyung.”

Just as Hoseok said, Jin came into the yard looking fine as he usually does. I briefly turned to Taehyung only to see his smile falter before turning my gaze again towards Jin.

“Hello, Jimin.” Jin greeted me. It makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, since the last time I checked, we really were not in good terms. Then he did the unexpected.

Jin suddenly pulled me in for a hug. I was so shocked that I was not able to reciprocate the hug.

“I’m sorry, Jimin, I’m really sorry.” Jin whispered to me. He then released the hug and gave me a sweet smile.

“Jimin, won’t you introduce us to that friend of yours.” Eomma said, oblivious to the surprised stares that everyone was giving me and Jin. “You two seem close.”

“Oh, right.” I mumbled. “Uhmmm… eomma, appa, this is Jin-hyung.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” Jin said, bowing to the two elders. “I’m Seokjin, Jimin’s friend.”

My parents greeted Jin back and welcomed him as I watched them, stunned with the sudden change in Jin’s attitude towards me. After they talked, Jin pulled me away from the crowd and talked.

“Look… Jimin. I know you’re surprised.”

“Of course I am, hyung.” I answered. “What’s the meaning of this?”

“It’s just that… I realized it was not a right thing for me to hate you for what happened.” Jin said. “Look what happened… instead of being the grown up one, I led Jungkook into a world of hate towards you. I should’ve told him to talk to you first before doing anything. I hope you can forgive me.”

Looking at him, I knew that Jin was sincere with what he was saying. And besides, I am more than happy to accept his apology and become his friend again.

“It’s fine, hyung. I never hated you.” I answered. “You’re just protecting Jungkook.”

“Ahhh… thank you, Jimin.” Jin said. “You know… Jungkook’s lucky to have you.”

I let out a bitter chuckle. “Well… I don’t think he thinks of me the same way.”

Jin’s expression turned sad at my statement. “I’m gonna try to talk to him about this, Jimin, I promise.”

“It’s too late, hyung.” I said to him. “I’m leaving tomorrow. This is also what Jungkook wants – he said so himself that he wants me to stay away from him.” I stopped when I already felt the emotions rushing in. I knew I had to stop right then, because if I continued, I do not think the day would end in a good note.

When I was already calm enough, I started walking back to the rest of the crowd. Jin followed me closely from behind. That is why when I abruptly stopped in my tracks, he collided with my back quite strongly, enough make me stumble a bit forward.

There, standing at the entrance, were Jungkook and Youngbae. The latter only stopped for a moment before resuming his walk forward, greeting everyone else that was already there. Jungkook, on the other hand, had his eyes fixed on me.

The two of us stared at each other for a few moments. I tried so hard to decipher the emotions behind those stoic eyes, trying to tell if he really intended to be here or not. But before I had the chance to do so, he turned away, and followed his cousin.

“Jimin…” Jin mumbled, putting his hand on my shoulders. I knew he was trying to comfort me, but it was no use now.

“I already told you before, hyung.” I said, noticing my voice slightly cracking. I do not think Jin noticed it. “He’s already made his choice. And I am respecting that ‘til the very end.”

I let out a sigh and got ready to face Jungkook this way for probably the last time. Maybe, the next time we see each other, it would not hurt as much.

Maybe it would not feel the same way.


HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!!!