Chapter 3

Silent Warriors

Sungyeol woke up to Woohyuns angry voice. He straightened up alittle, turning his neck to see what his friend was getting angry at.
He was talking on the phone, on his Smartphone to be exact, to someone.
 
“You know he's working too much anyway. Let him ing sleep” and after a pause a snort was heard “are you ing jealous Lee Howon?” and that's when Sungyeol took a look onto the clock hanging on the wall, noting the time and nearly fainting. 
 
He was two hours late.
Sungyeol didn't know how fast he got up, but he got a little dizzy by doing so. Unfazed, he ran into the bathroom and got ready in lightening speed.
 
“I'm leaving!” Sungyeol practically screamed into the house, not seeing the worried look his best friend sent him.
 
Sungyeol was amazed at how fast he had managed to get ready. He was now standing in the nurse lounge, panting and sweating hard.
Sungyeol tried to catch his breath while clipping his name tag onto his white coats pocket.
 
He ran his hand through his hair once, picking up the patients chart and starting his duties.
 
Sungyeol caught up with the morning visit he had missed. He just came out of the last patients room, his pen smoothly gliding over the patients chart.

Sungyeol silently shut the door and speed walked to the lounge back. He still had to draw blood form the patients in the ICU.
One of the med students crossed his way, making him nearly run into him with all the empty ampulla. Which he, silently, thanked God for.
 
He sent the student a silent, long look. Sungyeol waited for the student to speak up.
He really didn't have time for this now.
“Doctor Lee, can I come with you? Could you show me how to draw blood?”
 
It shouldn't surprise Sungyeol anymore, that students asked him once in a while to follow him around, yet it still did.
 
“Where's Doctor Lee? Shouldn't he be showing it to you?”
The student turned a lovely, bright shade of red.
“Yes, actually yes.. but.. in all honesty.. I'm scared of him. He always looks so angry and ready to jump one's throat when you make a mistake..”
Sungyeol looked so surprised but started laughing right after.
 
“Sure. Follow me.”
It had its perks, honestly. To have medical students following you around.

“Doctor Lee.. You won't tell the boss about what I told you earlier, right?” That kid looked so scared, yet so hopeful.
“Don't worry. I won't. It's going to be our little secret. But!”
The students eyes shot up right away.
“Bring these ampulla into the laboratory for me.”
The student took it eagerly and practically ran off with it, throwing another “Thank you!” to the young assistant doctor.
 
Good, Sungyeol thought. Now he didn't have to run that much around.
He paced to the lounge.
 
Sungyeol thought that he may rest a little bit while studying the athletes papers. It's not like he wanted to take over this and give up his patients but he had no other choice than to do so.
 
Sungyeol sat down onto one of the chairs, carefully reading the papers Doctor Lee had written in his messy handwriting.
He would sip a few times from his water bottle. He couldn't only live on coffee, could he?
 
Sungyeol suddenly shivered. It felt like a cold hand was running down his spine.
He looked at the windows, they were closed.
Sungyeol slightly shrugged his shoulders and went back to reading the papers.
 
A few minutes later he grabbed the water bottle and took a big gulp.
And right then, someone grabbed his shoulder, making him spit out the water he was about to swallow down. Everything happened so fast.
 
A water puddle on the desk, wet corners of the papers, a tall doctor sitting flat on his bum, eyes wide from shock, a fallen chair behind him.
And, a doctor standing right next to him, eyeing him suspiciously up and down.
 
Sungyeol looked up, eyes still widened. He laid his eyes on the culprit, who had his arms crossed with an annoying smirk and angry glint in his eyes.
 
The shock quickly melted into anger as Sungyeol straightened himself up again.
Sungyeol towered over the athletic doctor, glaring down the doctor.
Before he could even let out his anger, the doctor in front of him raised his finger.
 
“You already slept in, arrived two hours and fifteen minutes late to your shift, missed the first visit with the athlete patient and now you're taking a break?”
Hoya shook his head, making a disapproving sound meanwhile.
“Ah, I wish I could live your life. Honestly Lee Sungyeol.”
He took a step towards Sungyeol, closing the gap between them.
 
It was weird that Sungyeol was intimated by the smaller doctor, seeing how the chief physician had to crane his neck to stand Sungyeols glare.
 
“You have no break. You had your break when you decided to sleep in two hours and fifteen minutes. Get back to work. I don't want to see you lounging around today. You have duties to fulfil. You are someone people look up to as a leader. Someone, who actually should be able to save patients. How can patients rely on you when you don't come on time?”
 
Sungyeol resisted the urge to roll his eyes.
“I'm working overtime anyway, so what-”
“You could have gone earlier yesterday. No one would have said anything when you left on time.”
Hoya took a step back.
 
“Did you check up on the emergency patient from yesterday?”
Sungyeol looked away, hived a sigh, and put his gaze back on the boss.
“Not yet, I was reading the file of Kim Myung-”
Hoya cut him off with a small wave of his hand.
“No need to anymore, since I did your job. She's going to undergo surgery. Her liver's failing, she needs a donor. And you.” Hoya poked Sungyeols chest, “are going to tell the family the news. Alone.”
 
He took another step back, looking at the mess behind Sungyeol.
“No break. And while we're at it..” He motioned with his head towards Sungyeol. Sungyeol slightly turned his head into the direction Hoya was motioning. “Clean that up too. You're coming with me during the afternoon visits.”
 
Sungyeol wanted to slap this doctor so hard and he was ready to do so. He clenched his fists and looked back at where Hoya had been standing but the spot was empty. He had left just as suddenly and silently as he had come.
 
This time, Sungyeol doesn't curse silently. He does it loudly.
 
The afternoon visits started.
Sungyeol had talked to Hoya before hand, that he would first look after his patients and that they would go to the patient Kim together.
He was nearly done with his own patients, only the ICU patient and Mr. Kim left to check up on.
 
Sungyeol was about to knock on the door of Mr. Kims room, just to find the door already open.
And the sight left his eyes open in surprise.
 
There was Mr. Kim standing with his back to the door, trying to make his way to the bed. That wasn't the part he was shocked at.
It was the nurse supporting him. The nurse was holding the arm of the patient, while the other was draped around his back. And grabbing his bum.
 
Nam Woohyun was grabbing the bum of, Sungyeol took a look at the patients name, Kim Sunggyu.
The patient either didn't mind it or he didn't even notice the hand grabbing his .
 
Sungyeol waited until the patient had sat down safely on his bed.
He saw Woohyun straightening up and touching the patient unnecessarily.
 
It turned too unbearable, to see the oblivious patient smile at and thank the nurse.
So Sungyeol coughed rather loudly into his fist, making Woohyun jump and the patient look towards him.
 
Woohyun took a few steps back, scrambled the utensils together and ducked his head while dashing out. He practically ran away from Sungyeols knowing eyes, who was looking after him until he disappeared behind the corner with his eyebrow raised.
 
“Isn't nurse Nam really kind?! He helps me so much! He's really reliable!” Mr. Kim said with an innocent smile on his face.
Sungyeol looked at him horrified for a few seconds. Did this man really not understand what Woohyun just did to him?
“Yes, Mr. Kim, nurse Nam is really kind. I will make sure to tell him.”
Sungyeol replied to him, with a devious smile gracing his plump lips.
 
After checking up on Mr. Kim and Mrs. Oh, the ICU patient, Sungyeol made his way to the lounge back again.
There he would meet up with Doctor Lee to go see the, oh so important, athlete.
 
He had stored the charts away and sat down onto the chair, waiting for the doctor to arrive.
 
Sungyeol ruffled his long hair again, remembering that he still had his hair tie in.
So he pulled it out and didn't bother to put it back in for now.
He stretched his long arms out, making a satisfied sound, before slumping back into a sitting position.
Sungyeol looked out of the window, playing with a strand of his own hair.
 
Until a mug filled with coffee landed on the table in front of him.
Sungyeol looked at the mug and then at the hand. The hands looked rough, but also smooth. Which didn't make sense to Sungyeol at all.
Then he looked at up and saw the buff doctor infront of him again.
Why is he always sticking around me, Sungyeol wondered. He raised his eyebrows questioningly.

“For you.” Hoya eyed the dark eyebags surrounding Sungyeols big, innocent brown eyes.
“You have five minutes free.”
Sungyeols eyebrows furrowed, showing confusion.
 
Without saying any more, Hoya went to put the charts he had in his hand back into the neat shelf.
Why couldn't Sungyeol smile at him like he smiled at Woohyun. But then Hoya realised that he had been nothing but mean to Sungyeol, so why would the lanky boy be friendly, let alone smile at him affectionately.
He really had to change his attitude for the teams sake.
That's what Hoya told himself.
 
Not even two minutes had passed and he heard the younger doctor grumble “Why am I even trying to drink water when I have coffee.”
And when Hoya looked up from the shelf he saw the coffee mug he had brought Sungyeol emptied to the last drop.
His eyes widened. The coffee was steaming hot and Sungyeol just had practically gulped it down in one go? This kid wasn't normal, Hoya decided.
 
And then Sungyeol had put his head right away onto his arms, which rested on top of the table and... Hoya thought he didn't see it correctly. He would have rubbed his eyes if he wouldn't be wearing contact lenses.
The young doctor seemed to have fallen asleep.
 
Hoya shrugged, he was ready to scold Sungyeol if he even slept longer than the last three minutes of his break.
 
Hoya looked at his watch and averted his gaze back onto the chart he needed to find now.
Exact three minutes later, Hoya heard rustling and saw how Sungyeol stretched himself.
He had to be honest, Sungyeol never ceased to amaze him in certain ways. Not that Hoya would admit it.
 
“It's time for you to get to know your patient Sungyeol.”
Hoya pushed the chart into Sungyeols huge hands.
He noticed that they looked really slender. And smooth.
 
Sungyeol rolled his eyes while grabbing it, which Hoya seemed not to notice. His focus was still on Sungyeols hands.
Hoya quickly focused back on Sungyeols face though, how his big eyes scanned over the pages quickly.
 
“He broke his what? How did he even manage that?”
Sungyeol stared with disbelieve at the chief physician.
“I don't know. Ask him yourself.”
Just as Hoya finished his sentence, he knocked once onto the door. Short but hard.
 
If it was up to Sungyeol, he would have waited until the patient called him in. But it wasn't Sungyeol, it was Hoya. He went straight in, putting on his sweet doctor face.
 
Sungyeol had expected some tall men like him or at least sturdy and muscular ones like Hoya but he was hit with the complete opposite.
There were only two in the room, with the exception of Hoya and himself. One of them standing, with his hands in his pockets and the other sitting in bed.
 
The one standing had short hair, only his bang longer than usual. He pushed his hand through his hair, letting it fall loosely around his face again. His hair was brown, a tint of burgundy shining through. He was tall, skinny and had a sharp face. Especially the jawline was defined. He had beautiful big, brown eyes and pouty, rosy lips and a cute small nose.
The man seemed to look into his soul, ready to break any of his bones if he did one wrong move. He looked a little annoyed. Under his left eye was a beauty mark. His skin was even paler than Sungyeols own.
All in all the man in front of him didn't look like a soccer player at all, he looked so fragile.
 
That person was wearing a long sleeved button up shirt. It had vertical stripes in the colours of white light blue and red. The shirt was tucked into his white skinny pants, a white belt as an accessory and navy, washed out sneakers.
 
“You.. don't look like all the other athletes we got over here so far.” Sungyeol said, speaking faster than thinking.
The man narrowed his round, beautiful eyes and sent him a death glare. He flipped his bang out of his eyes, not moving an inch. It was like he was trying to tell Sungyeol to just ' off'.
Hoya slapped his hand over his face.
 
A loud laugh ripped through the room. Sungyeols head snapped to the other male sitting on the bed, his face crinkled up in the weirdest way possible. Yet that person still managed to looked like he sprang out of a fashion magazine.
 
His face was oval shaped, everything seemed to be proportional. Nothing seemed to be asymmetric. His eyes were almond shaped and right now they were crinkled up into crescents, eyes twinkling.
Sungyeol also noticed his dimples. He had dimples. ing dimples.
The man's nose seemed to be positioned well either, as if it was measured out inch by inch to create the perfect face. His lips weren't too small, but also not too full either. Those lips were currently stretched into a blending smile, teeth showing.
His hair was short. The bangs were styled up, showing his forehead.
 
Hoya also noted that he was really handsome, until he started to clap like a seal.
Why was he even laughing so hard, Sungyeol didn't even make a joke.

“Sungjong!” Nothing more came out of the laughing boys mouth.
The said man, Sungjong apparently, had averted his menacing glare from Sungyeol to the injured male.
“I swear to god Myungsoo hyung, if you don't stop laughing now I will make sure you will never be able to kick a ball ever again.”
Something about that Sungjong kids tone made him look even scarier and the laughter abruptly stopped.
 
Myungsoo shot Sungjong a begging look. Was this kid that scary?
“So Mr. Kim.” Hoya, as always, broke the awkward tension.
Both, Sungjong and Myungsoo, looked at Hoya with an expecting stare.
The doctors noted how intense the patients stare was.
 
Hoya jabbed Sungyeol short but hard into the ribs, which didn't go unnoticed by the standing male.
“Mr. Kim, it looks like you broke your metatarsal bone.” Sungyeol said, putting on a neutral expression. “My what?”
The patient looked confused, the standing male though rolled his eyes.
 
“Your foot. The bones, in the middle! Broken! Snapped!”
Sungjong simulated a breaking bone with his hands, followed by a flip of his hair again.
Myungsoo whimpered at this.
He stared at his bandaged feet. Right now, the pain was bearable. Might be because of all the different kind of pain killers he got.
 
“It will take a really long time for it to heal.” Sungyeol continued while flipping through the chart again.
Myungsoo looked from his foot up again into Sungyeols eyes.
“How long? When can I train again?”
 
Athletes. Sungyeol thought.
“I can't tell you how long it is going to take for you to get fully resilient again. Keep in mind that recovering fully doesn't equal being able to play ever again. We're talking about a broken metatarsal bone.”

This time, not only Myungsoo looked horrified, but also Sungjong who had seemed so composed until then.

Sungyeol felt a slight push on his back.
He looked at Hoya, who was gesturing to Myungsoo while taking the file from Sungyeols hands.
 
So Sungyeol made his way to Myungsoo, meanwhile explaining that he had to examine him.
Sungyeol looked at Sungjong, not sure how to call him, so he just started with “Sir, you have to wait outside till the examination is finished.”
 
He furrowed his eyebrows again, pursed his lips and stalked off irritated. He shut the door behind him silently.
 
Sungyeol had to do the routine stuff like checking the patients pulse, his heartbeat, his breathing.
The chief physician watched him silently while taking notes of what the younger doctor was telling him.
 
“You have to take your shirt off Mr. Kim”
Hoyas eyes widened for a second but he got himself under control again.
Idiot, he thought. You could have done it with out letting him take his shirt off. The chief physicians eyes narrowed ever so slightly.
 
“Take deep breaths, in and out. In and out.”
Sungyeol put the stethoscope onto his chest and started to listen to whatever he was hearing now.

Hoya knew Sungyeol was uncomfortable with silence. And right then Sungyeol broke it with a question directed to the professional football player.
 
“So how did you manage to break your metatarsal bone?”
Sungyeol now was moving forward to the back of the patient.
“I don't know.” Myungsoo replied.
“Take deep breaths, in and out.” Sungyeol ordered again.
 
Usually Sungyeol would have gone around the back to check the patients back but this time, he was too lazy to do so.
So he draped his long arms around the patients back and started to listen through the stethoscope again.
 
Sungyeol chuckled.
“How can you not know how you broke your foot?”
"Well, someone stepped on my foot." Myungsoo replied. Though the answer was barely audible, since he had pressed his face into the doctors clothes.
 
Hoya had watched the game and he knew that the athlete was, purposefully, hiding the fact that it was his own fault for getting it broken. He tried to stop himself from snorting out loud.
The scene didn't go unnoticed by the doctor. He silently went to the opposite site of where Sungyeol was standing.

Hoya had put the chart onto the bed and pulled out his own stethoscope – he didn't like to see the way this kid pushed his face into Sungyeols chest.
 
Did Sungyeol not notice how this giant baby smashed his face into Sungyeols chest? Hoyas eyebrow twitched in annoyance. Hoya swatted Sungyeols hands away, earning a confused look of him.
 
“You're supposed to go around the bed and not hug the patient!” Hoya hissed irritated.
Sungyeol stepped back, holding up his hands in defeat while rolling his eyes.
 
“Get the syringes.”
Sungyeol didn't need to hear his boss bossing him around. But then again, what was a boss for, Sungyeol thought.
 
So he disappeared through the door, his white coat waving a little.
It didn't take long for Sungyeol to come back with a kidney dish, carrying a paper cup filled with syringes of various sizes.
 
Before he could enter, Sungjong grabbed him by the arm.
“Can I come in now? I don't think it's a good idea to.. you know, let him be on his own when you draw blood.”
 
Sungyeol was about to say that he isn't alone, that the chief physician was there too, yet he refrained from it and asked Sungjong to follow him.
 
Hoya had already helped the patient sit comfortably back on the bed.
For a moment the athlete looked like a puppy, with big eyes, staring at the needles.
 
“What are you going to do? Don't put these inside me! I don't want that I'm going to sue you! Sungjong, Sungjong no!”
 
The young athlete tried to swat Hoyas hands away, who was trying to calm him down by assuring him that it won't hurt, that there was no reason to sue them.
 
Sungyeol reached out to the patient, putting his left hand onto his shoulder.
“Mr. Kim, I promise you it won't hurt. Look, I'll even use the butterfly shaped ones! You won't even hurt!” Sungyeol showed him the sterile needle.

“If you want to, you can hold my hand while Doctor Lee draws your blood!” Myungsoo looked up to Sungyeol with a glint in his eyes. Hoya couldn't pin point what this glint was hinting at.
 
Sungyeol stretched out right hand and Myungsoo took it gladly.
Hoyas eyebrows shot up while he was putting the tourniquet on his arm.
 
“Sungyeol, I think Mr. Kim's friend can take over holding his hand. You better help me. Now.”
Hoyas voice was hard, demanding.
 
Sungyeol knew better than to argue with the boss now.
He sighed silently and went to the side where Hoya was standing.
 
Sungjong had silently walked to the place where Sungyeol had been standing, filling the vacant spot.
Sungjong was smiling deviously at Myungsoo, who just looked as smug as his friend. It only lasted for a second though.
 
“I'll now start.”
And with that Sungyeol had handed him the Syringe. Before Hoya could insert the needle into the vein, Myungsoo jerked his arm away, which earned him an irritated stare, even if it was just for a second.
“Mr. Kim, we have to draw blood from you. It is part of our routine to do so, especially for new patients.”
The chief physicians voice was calm yet full with authority and Sungyeol mentally face palmed himself.
 
Hoya truly didn't know how to deal with scared patients.
“Mr. Kim, what is your favourite colour?” Sungyeol started and Hoya looked like he was about to strangle Sungyeol.
 
The patients friend looked at the younger doctor in curiousty.
“My favourite colour?” the athlete repeated.
Sungyeol nodded.
 
“It's black. I love black. I live for black. Everyone should love black.”
Sungjong snorted and Sungyeol smiled a bright smile.
 
“Doc, what is your favourite colour?”
The question was directed towards Sungyeol.
“Hm.. I don't know. Pink, mostly.” Sungyeol replied without hesitation.
 
“Pink?” the athlete cocked an eyebrow in an amused way.
“Yeah, why? Do you have a problem with that?”
Myungsoo shook his head while grinning. “No, not really.”
 
“So how long have you been playing soccer? How did you get into it?”
And while Myungsoo started to tell excitedly about his passion, Sungyeol silently jabbed Hoya to draw the blood now. Sungjong watched the two doctors silently and Myungsoo continued to ramble on about how wonderful it feels to run back and forth, to be creative and play in a team. That the rush and adrenaline he was feeling when he scored a goal was irreplaceable. Especially the chants of the fans.
 
Meanwhile Hoya had already filled two monovettes with blood.
Sungyeol continued to listen while he silently handed Hoya two more monovettes.
A few seconds later said monovettes were filled with the patients blood as well and Hoya had already pulled out the needle gently, pressing a swab onto the puncture site.
 
The patient only stopped talking when he noticed the pressure put onto his arm by Hoya.
 
Myungsoo was silent for a good minute before he realised that they had indeed put the needle into his vein, drew blood from his vein and now stop the bleeding from his vein. And all this happened while he was talking to the taller doctor. Sungyeol was now putting a band aid onto the puncture site.
 
“See? It didn't hurt at all, right?” Sungyeol asked smiling, while smoothing out the band aid. Hoya had moved out of his way to put the monovettes back into the paper cup and kidney dish.
 
Right when Sungyeol was about to straighten up again Myungsoo let go of Sungjongs hand, who had observed the whole scene silently and grabbed Sungyeols wrist.
 
“I want you to draw my blood all the time! I hate needles but when you drew the blood it didn't hurt at all! I didn't even notice that you did it!”
 
Sungyeol looked at him, smile still displayed but the discomfort was visible in his posture.
“Mr. Kim, I wasn't the one who-” Myungsoo shook his head vehemently.

Hoya stood there, with the kidney dish in his hand. He was gripping it so hard that his knuckles had turned white.
“I want you to draw my blood!”
 
Sungjong observed the smaller doctor silently.
“I think you should do it too, doctor. I mean it's the first time that he either didn't bite the hand of the doctor who was doing it or where he didn't faint.”
Sungjong glanced, with a small smirk, at Hoya and then back at Sungyeol.
“I'll see what I can do. Though I can't promise-”

“Unfortunately doctor Lee has other patients to take care of too, so he can't be here all the time.”
Hoya butted in, leaving no room for other comments.
 
“Now if you would follow me Mr. Lee, we have to get going. The visite can't wait, right?” his eyes were hard, his voice back onto the tone of power. Hoyas attitude all of a sudden screamed 'I'm the boss and you follow what I say.'
 
“Well then Mr. Kim” Sungyeol smiled at Myungsoo, then turned to Sungjong, “Sir, I guess we will see each other more often now.”
 
Hoya bowed slightly, Sungyeol following his motions before fleeing the room again.
“You can take over your patients, I'll handle the athlete on my own.”
It wasn't a request, it was an order. Sungyeol felt like he was in the military.
 
A confused look crossed the younger ones face.
“I just didn't give up so many patients for this so you can decide over my head again that for whatever stupid reason I suddenly can't treat this patient.”
 
With these words the taller doctor stalked off towards the nurse lounge.


Wordcount: 4466.
i'm sorry with the slow updates! ;;