Chapter 10

Silent Warriors

Sungyeol's alarm ringed at an ungodly hour. He drowsily fumbled for his phone, trying to mute the alarm in the process.

Sungyeol managed to silent it after two minutes of obnoxious ringing.

Just as he laid his head back onto his pillow, a not so soft kick landed in his sides.

 

Sungyeol jolted up, pressing his hands onto the sore spot.

“Don't even try to go back to sleep. You said you'll leave at six am. Go get ready.”

 

Sungyeol stared at the unforgiving strict face of Woohyun, Sungyeol's mouth slightly open in disbelieve.

He picked up his phone, reading the time.

“Woohyun, it's four in the morning. Four. I have two hours to leave. Besides, I'm going by car so why-”


Woohyun shook his head.

“I also wanted to see you before you leave.”
He sat down next to Sungyeol, playing with his fingers.

 

“You didn't talk to me for months and now you're leaving. I already miss you enough so.....” Woohyun didn't look up.

 

“You do know that I ignored you for only two days, right?” Sungyeol tiredly raised an eyebrow.

Woohyun pursed his lips in concentration. “Really? Felt like months actually.”

Sungyeol just stared at him. He let his upper body fall against his pulled up legs, resting his forehead on his knees. Sungyeol closed his eyes.

 

“Hey! Don't fall asleep while I'm trying to have some quality time with you before you leave me alone in this..this..hell!” Woohyun pinched Sungyeol's leg lightly.

 

“You're a petty, little little tyrant do you know that Nam Woohyun?” Sungyeol yawned.

Woohyun ignored that comment.

“I made you food, so you can eat it on your way.” Woohyun crossed his arms behind his head.

 

Sungyeol didn't look up as he still tried to fight the fatigue.

“It's just a way of forty minutes, at maximum fifty. You didn't have to do that Woohyun.”

 

Woohyun shook his head, though Sungyeol didn't see.

“Forty minutes are forty minutes. And knowing you, you'll skip breakfast.”

Sungyeol smiled slightly, still hiding his face.

“Now get up and ready, I have to leave in” Woohyun paused, Sungyeol assumed to look at his watch.
“I have to leave in forty five minutes, so get dressed! I'll make you coffee.”

 

Woohyun stood up and gave Sungyeol a slight push.

Sungyeol sighed for the last time as he gave in and got ready.

 

Every now and then Woohyun came in to check up on Sungyeol, “To make sure you're actually getting ready and not back into bed” Woohyun had explained.

 

Twenty minutes later, both were sitting at the dining table, each of them with a mug in front of them.

Sungyeol kept silent as he watched the steam rise up and dissolve.

 

“Sungyeol.”
Said man looked up slightly.

“I really am sorry.”

Sungyeol watched Woohyun for a few seconds, before shrugging once slightly.

 

He looked back down into his cup.

Woohyun followed Sungyeol's action, now watching the steam of his cup dissolve into the air.

 

A few minutes ticked by in silence.

“It hurt, you know? It still does.”
Sungyeol whispered. Better be honest than lie in his face, Sungyeol thought.

Woohyun looked up, watching him finish speak.

He looked terribly sorry.

 

“I thought you would back me up, like you usually do. I didn't think you would blame me for someone else mistake. I know you like him a lot, but that still doesn't mean you should let your frustration out on me. At one point I'll probably snap.”

 

Woohyun ducked his head in shame, playing with the handle of his mug.

“I know. I realized. And I'm sorry. Really.”


Sungyeol just hummed in acknowledgment.

“But” Woohyun spoke up again. “What do you mean 'at one point I'll probably snap' ? I thought you already snapped two days ago?” Woohyun sounded confused.

“I've never seen you this angry, never. I feel like I don't know you that well after all.” He sighed dramatically.

 

Sungyeol just gave a small smile.

“You call that snapping? I can be way worse. Ask Daeyeol.”
At this, Sungyeol just smirked, Woohyun following.

 

“Ah, poor kiddo. He most of the time deserved it though.”
Sungyeol snickered.

 

It was time for Woohyun to leave, his shift starting soon.

Before he left though, he turned around, engulfing Sungyeol in a tight hug.

 

“Congratulations on getting the attendee spot.”
Sungyeol patted his back. “Thank you. We will finally be able to purchase a bed.”

Sungyeol longingly said. Woohyun laughed.

 

The second the door closed, Sungyeol dropped himself onto the sofa since Woohyun had cleaned up the blankets while Sungyeol had been getting ready.

 

He still had an hour left. So he put up his alarm and went back to sleep. Around half an hour passed and Sungyeol was pulled out of his slumber.

 

Someone was calling him.

He squeezed his eyes together, trying to see despite the blinding light of the screen.

Sungyeol rejected the call as he sat up straight again.

 

He rubbed his eyes and stood up, stretching in the process. Then he took his suitcase and left the apartment. Sungyeol made sure he had locked the door before he made his way to the rented car.

 

The second he entered his parents home, his brother sent him a kick up to the knee.

Sungyeol rubbed the sore spot.
“Daeyeol, I swear one day I'll kick you all the way to Europe!” He hissed playfully.

 

Daeyeol rolled his eyes, snickering along. “Sure sure. Thanks, I've always wanted to see Europe.”

Sungyeol punched his brothers arm lightly. “Idiot, Europe is a continent.”

 

Before his brother could make another smart remark, Sungyeol went into the kitchen and fetched a glass of water. He leaned against the counter.

 

Sungyeol heard his brother flop onto the sofa. “Because of you I had to wake up at 7 in the morning! Unbelievable!” Daeyeol whined.

“Didn't mom and dad teach you not to lie? You've class in an hour, stop blaming me.”

Sungyeol snickered as Daeyeol aimed a pillow at him.

“I'm not lying! I had to wake up an extra ten minutes earlier because of you!”
“Lee Daeyeol!” A yell interrupted their bickering. A short silence followed, which was cut off by another yell.

“How many times do I have to tell you to put the toilet seat back down after you finished your business!” And there it was, the infamous slipper flying across the room and hitting Daeyeol dead on onto the back.

 

Sungyeol's younger brother couldn't reply as their mother stomped in angrily into the living room. Sungyeol had silently made his way towards the scene, watching in amusement.

 

“Mom come on! I forgot it! It's humane, right? To forget?” Daeyeol now was lying on his back, facing the angry female.

“Oh, how about I forget to cook and clean? It's humane right? I told you many times to put it down! I was close to falling into the toilet because of you again! When will you ever use your head?” She knocked the youngest head hard. Then she pulled him up by his ear.

 

“You're going to clean the mess, right now. And you will clean the bathroom when you're back from class.” She was completely ignoring the whimpering of her son.

When she let go, Daeyeol made his irritated self way to the bathroom.

 

“Oh! Sungyeol, I didn't see you there.”
Sungyeol laughed. “Mom, I'm nearly 190cm, how can you not see me?”
He affectionately smiled and scooped his mother into a tight hug.
His mother snuggled into his chest, as Sungyeol laid his head onto his mothers.

“I missed you mom.” His mother just tightened the hold.
“I missed you too, son. I barely get to see you, even though you live so close to us.”
Sungyeol closed his eyes as he took in the scent he called home.

 

“I'm sorry mom. I wish I had more time, I'd definitely come visit more often. It's so stressful at work right now, you won't believe it!”

Sungyeol hived a sigh.


His mother broke the hug and held her son's face in her hands.

“Don't worry about visiting us! We know you're busy with work. You're a very reliable person, unlike your brother.” She sent a playful glare towards Daeyeol, who had just entered the living room again with his bag in his hand.

 

“Mom, come on, it was just one time I forgot to pick you up!”

Sungyeol stared at his brother.

“You forgot to pick up mom? How can you forget to pick someone up?”

Sungyeol was confused. Daeyeol turned a dark shade of red.
“It was one time!” With that he dashed out of the door while throwing his bagpack over his shoulder.

 

“He really forgot to pick you up?”

Sungyeol's mother let out a dramatic sigh.


“It's a miracle he didn't forget his head at home yet, if I'm honest. I don't know if he's going late into puberty or if he's in love, but he surely has his head in the clouds.”

His mother shook her head softly as she stepped into the kitchen.

 

Sungyeol followed her.

Both started to set up the table, catching up on what happened in each others lives.

 

Hours passed quickly and the table was filled with various foods.

Daeyeol was already home and helped Sungyeol with folding his clothes.

“I heard you got the promotion? Like, you're an attending now? The boss of other doctors? Is that right?”

 

Daeyeol sat on Sungyeol's bed, a shirt in his hand. His younger brother's eyes were twinkling as he folded the shirt.

“Well, I'd not say the boss of doctors, but yes. They have to come to me before they continue with any treatment.”

Daeyeol made a small approving sound.

 

“I can't be the boss, and actually I really don't want to either. It's too stressful and I might end up with an annoying and scary reputation.” Sungyeol thought back to the sub-interns scared faces as they realized their small mistakes.

 

Sungyeol just started hanging his trousers as his brother spoke up again.

“But, Yeollie, isn't it good if they're scared of you? Doesn't that show how much they respect what you say?”

Sungyeol hung the trouser hanger up and turned around. He leaned against the cupboard, crossing his arms.

A frown appeared on Sungyeol's face.

“Is that what you think respect is, Dae? When people are scared of you? That's not respect, that's tyranny. Fear doesn't equal respect, little brother. There's a huge difference. When you're respected, people willingly come and ask for help. When they're scared of you, they're hesitating, even questioning their abilities. Sometimes it goes as far as people quitting their dream because they're scared of you. That's not right.” Sungyeol pursed his lips, as Daeyeol stared at the folded shirt on his lap.

 

“Okay, yeah you're right.” He held out Sungyeol's shirt, which the older took. “Only one question though. Are you a therapist or a neurology consulting physician?”

Sungyeol closed the cupboard, after he put the folded shirt in.

 

“In that hospital, you're actually everything.” There was a hint of amusement in Sungyeol's voice.

 

He ushered Daeyeol out of his room. Sungyeol stored his suitcase under his bed. Afterwards, he pushed his backpack under his desk. Then he let himself fall onto the bed.

 

Sungyeol took two minutes to admire his room. Nothing much had changed, except for his desk and bed now switched to adult sizes.

 

He made his way back into the kitchen. His mother was already waiting for him.

The three of them, with Sungyeol's father already being at work, had a long and fun filled breakfast.

 

The door opened at exactly three thirty in the afternoon, shoes heavily kicked off and weary steps made their way into the living room.

 

Sungyeol sat there, his legs up on the back rest and his head dangling off the couch. The TV was on and Sungyeol didn't bother changing his position.

 

Sungyeol's father dropped his bag onto the floor with a thud, gaining Sungyeol's attention.

“Dad!” Sungyeol exclaimed as he clumsily fell onto the floor during the process of standing up.

 

Sungyeol quickly jumped up to his feet and dived into his father's open arms.

He sat down across his father and it quickly turned out into a catch up session with him.

 

Hours, and tears of laughter later, Sungyeol's mother called them for dinner. It's been just a few hours into his vacation yet Sungyeol felt like he was switched out. He wasn't stressed or put under pressure. For once he was calm. He dared to say even relaxed.


It was a whole different level eating his mothers food. Sungyeol enjoyed the way the soup tasted on his tongue and took his time to eat.

In the meantime, his parents asked him about how his job was going.

 

“Yeollie got promoted mom! He's now no longer the victim of attendings. Now he's an authority person!“ Daeyeol's voice cracked out of excitement.
 

„You got promoted and didn't tell us?“ His father sounded hurt.
Sungyeol quickly shook his head. „No, it's not that. It just happened a few days ago and I don't even know how that thickhead found out.“ Sungyeol grinned at his brother, who was sending him a glare.


„But yes, I got promoted. Or more like my boss recommended me? I don't know how to explain. Either way, I'm no longer an assitance doctor but an attending! Finally I can pay off my student loan faster.“ Sungyeol revealed his gummy smile.

 

Sungyeol felt like his mother's face would split in half with the way she was smiling so brightly and his father was close to bursting from pride.

„Your boss told the hospital bosses that you would be the best one for the open spot?“


Sungyeol shoved another spoon of soup into is mouth. He nodded. „Yeah he did. Mom your soup tastes so good, I missed it! And you of course too.“ He smiled again.

 

His dad reached over the small table and ruffled Sungyeols hair, Daeyeol kicked him under the table with a bright smile and his mother filled up his bowl again with a content smile on her face.

 

“You really need to come by more often. It's always like a piece of us is missing when you're not here.“ She said as she sat back down.

 

“I'll promise you I'll try to come by more often. And if I can't I'll call.“

It seemed like this answer satisfied all three at the table. A content silence spread in the kitchen, though it was just for a short time.

 

Daeyeol asked him to share a few stories about what happened in the hospital.
Sungyeol was reluctant about it, since it was actually prohibited to share any information with a third person.

 

Sungyeol still did though, just leaving out the names. He only told a few things.

Like that, spending all evening with his parents drinking tea and eating snacks, the first day had passed. Sungyeol was visibly relaxed. His posture had changed instantly. The weariness was replaced by contentedness.

If all three weeks would be like this, Sungyeol thought, he didn't want to leave.

The next day broke in and it passed just like the day before. Lots of bickering with Daeyeol and babying from his parents side.

 

Sungyeol loved annoying Daeyeol.

For example, his mother had told Sungyeol to wake Daeyeol up. The latter had class and kept ignoring his alarm.

 

So Sungyeol found a feather from his pillow on his bed. He picked it up and started to tickle his brothers nose with it. Five minutes later, Sungyeol was chased by a wide awake, angry Daeyeol.

 

The other day, Sungyeol shook Daeyeol awake. If it was a soft shaking, Daeyeol probably wouldn't have had a problem with it. But no, Sungyeol seemed like he pretended to be an earthquake and Daeyeol was the building that shook during the process.

 

On the fifth day, Sungyeol couldn't come up with any new ideas how to wake his little brother up. So he did the first best thing that came to his mind. He let himself fall onto Daeyeol's stomach. In a matter of a second Daeyeol was wide awake, sitting as straight up as he could, with his brother still sitting on his stomach and a wide grin spread around his face. If looks could kill, Sungyeol probably would have been already a gourmet dish.

 

Eventhough it seemed like Sungyeol's quest to wake his brother up the most torturous way, Daeyeol wasn't any better. Even though the younger didn't have many creative ideas as Sungyeol did, he still managed to get the older back every day.

 

Most of the time he would wait for his brother to use the loo in the evening. Then he would turn off the light and when Sungyeol would come out, complaining loudly, he'd stay in the shadows and start scaring Sungyeol by changing his voice and telling stories about how the house was haunted.

 

Needless to say, Sungyeol always fell for it and ran down screaming.

One time though, Sungyeol seemed like he wouldn't fall for it.


“Daeyeol, I know it's you, stop playing now.” It was dark in the hallway, both his parents at work.

Daeyeol had hidden in their parents room, the door ajar with the perfect view on what Sungyeol was doing. There was no answer from the younger.

 

Suddenly a few things dropped, filling the silent dark house with loud clatter.

Apparently Daeyeol himself had forgotten that he had been planning to scare Sungyeol to the marrow of his bone. “Yeol? I'm in mom and dad's room.”

 

He could hear Sungyeol quickly and silently move next to him.

They closed the door. And sat against it.

 

“Did you hear that?” Sungyeol asked.

Daeyeol dropped his head onto Sungyeol's shoulder.


“If I'm honest I had planned to scare you but I didn't plan in the pots or whatever it was falling down.”

Sungyeol sent a short lived glare towards his brother, though Daeyeol couldn't see it in the dark.

 

“So you didn't cause the noise? Then who did?”
Daeyeol shrugged lightly. “Don't know. Hope it won't eat us.”

 

Sungyeol hit Daeyeol onto his head. “Stop it you idiot!” he hissed.

There was another loud noise coming from the kitchen.

Daeyeol stood up again, rubbing the spot Sungyeol had hit him.


“I'm going to see what's happening. If I don't come back, tell mom I am sorry I forgot to pick her up.”

Daeyeol pretended to salute and silently opened the door a little and stepped outside, leaving Sungyeol to stare at his brothers slowly retreating back.

 

“He's crazy, he never uses his brain.” Sungyeol huffed to himself.

Sungyeol followed, defeated, his brother. It had been quite a few minutes since Daeyeol had left and the noise hadn't stopped.

 

Sungyeol slowly entered the kitchen. He hated the dark and he hated being alone in the dark even more.

It all happened so fast.

Something jumped onto him, making him scream in such a high pitch he never knew he could even reach. Sungyeol scrambled, stumbled and at last, fell down onto his bum. He was still screaming as this thing that had jumped him now was starting to claw him.

 

In the darkness Sungyeol's mind was spinning, forming too many absurd theories what this thing was. Right now though, he was sure it was a huge spider which had been an experiment by scientists.

 

Suddenly, there was Daeyeol's loud laugh. As Sungyeol still fumbled to get the thing that attacked him off, his mind slowly registered that Daeyeol had really planned all of this.

The lights flickered on again and on his lap he registered a brown puppy. A poodle. The dog was jumping on his leg up and down, trying to walk up Sungyeol's chest but failing. It barked a few times.
Sungyeol, though, just kept staring at the dog.

 

“What the .” Was the only thing he managed to throw out.

He picked the puppy carefully up with his hands and held it up a little. The poodle whacked his little tail from side to side happily.

 

“Lee Daeyeol. I'd skin you alive right now but this puppy is too cute. Since when do you have a puppy?” Sungyeol let his gaze wander from the happily barking, small dog to his brother for a few seconds. Sungyeol let the puppy down again. He had expected it to run around but instead, it laid onto his lap and started to snuggle his hand.

 

“It's not my dog. It's yours. I got her for you. She reminded me of you.” Daeyeol grinned at him. Sungyeol gave him an icy stare but melted right away at another cute bark.

 

“Did you already give her a name?” Daeyeol shook his head. “No, I didn't. It's your dog, so you give the name.”

 

Sungyeol thought for a second as he patted her head.

“I'm going to name her Aga. Because she and you are a baby.”

Daeyeol scoffed at him.
“You call me baby but you were the one who screamed ten octaves higher than usual.”

Sungyeol let Aga down and stood up, smoothing his clothes down.

 

“About that Daeyeol.”

He walked towards his brother, who took a few steps back.

In a matter of two seconds Sungyeol had his brother in a headlock, rubbing his head with his knuckles. Daeyeol cried out and tried to get away from Sungyeol's grip, but he just made it worse.

 

“Will you ever pull a prank like that on me again?”
Daeyeol kept squirming. “Yes” he answered as he grabbed Sungyeol's arms.

“I couldn't hear you, can you repeat that?” He stopped rubbing his knuckles, but Sungyeol kept his hold on Daeyeol.


“No, no I won't! Please let me go now!”
Sungyeol let go right away.

“Thought so.”

 

After that, Daeyeol kept bugging Sungyeol to play with him some video games before their dad came back and took over the television. Daeyeol had pestered him exactly thirty three minutes and Sungyeol had given in.

Right that minute, Daeyeol and Sungyeol were throwing heated words at each other as they tried to pass one another's car in Mario Cart. Sungyeol was leading.

 

The first week had exactly passed like that. Sungyeol and Daeyeol bickering and playing games together. Sometimes Sungyeol would help Daeyeol out with his homework. And often they walked Aga together.

 

Even though Sungyeol pretended to be annoyed by his brother's antics, he deep down loved him a lot. He couldn't imagine a life without Daeyeol. And he was grateful for his younger brother. Even if Sungyeol a lot, he showed him how much he loved the younger just as much. And Daeyeol knew, he knew that his older brother would do everything for him. Sungyeol trusted Daeyeol more than he trusted Woohyun.

 

So on a Friday night, when they walked Aga together again, he confided Daeyeol something he didn't tell Woohyun. And probably never would, either.

 

Sungyeol had unleashed Aga. She was happily running around on a meadow, Sungyeol and Daeyeol were sitting on a bench. Sungyeol had his hair open, the soft breeze playing with his hair gracefully.

 

“I don't know what to do, Dae. It's about a patient and her family. I've never been so attached to a patient like her. Her husband is so sweet and understanding and I think he already accepted the fact that his wife won't be coming back home. They have a son you know. He's even taller than me.” Sungyeol watched Aga play around with other dogs. He played with his hands, Daeyeol's eyes were following the bundle of fur as well.

 

“He's a little weird though. I know he thinks that I don't notice it, but he keeps watching me. It makes me uncomfortable. Just his presence is enough to make me edgy, you know? And he doesn't want to believe any of the things I'm saying. What would you do, if you had a choice? Would you choose the craniectomy or would you keep using the conservative therapies? You're in your last med year, you should already know.”

Sungyeol let out a frustrated sigh as he rubbed his face with his palms.


Daeyeol was silent for a few minutes.
“I'd stick to the conservative therapies. Only, really just only, if none of them work I'd consider a craniectomy. Though I'm sure it might help at first, later on it would just cause more problems. But that's just my opinion.”

Sungyeol had watched his brother speak. He let it sink in a few seconds.

“Right? I mean, not everyone is made for that surgery. And it's nearly never necessary. Only in the most urgent cases. I explained it to their son, but he kept telling me I wasn't taking care of his mother. But I am, am I not?” He fixated Daeyeol with his worried gaze.

 

Daeyeol threw his arm around Sungyeol's shoulders.

“You are taking care of her. More than anyone else would. And if he bothers you next time, ask him if he's the one who studied medicine or you. You need to be a little less emotionally attached, Yeollie. It'll backfire. You know that, too. The profs made it clear, right? And I'm sure you already realized that too.”


Sungyeol let his gaze wander back to the playing dogs.

“Actually, none of my patients have ever passed away. So I can't tell you if I've realized it or not.”

Daeyeol squeezed his brothers shoulder softly.


“I'm sure you do. You're just a really emotional person. And that's okay, because doctors at some point have to understand the patient's emotions. That's why I'll never be as good as you, Yeollie. You have that ability to talk to people and make them feel good about themselves. I'm just awkward and when I open my mouth it usually ends up in everyone being mad or annoyed at me.”
Daeyeol gave him a cheeky grin.

 

Sungyeol shook his head, laughing softly.

“You never try to empathize Daeyeol, that's the problem. It's not that you can't do it, you just don't want to.”

Daeyeol patted Sungyeol's shoulder.
“You're right, Yeol, you indeed are right.”

 

They stayed another half an hour and left afterwards.

It had been an eventful day and Sungyeol had fallen asleep right away.

 

Just like that, as the first week had passed, the second week had broken on.

It's been the third day into the second week of his, so far peaceful, vacation.

He had gotten multiple calls from Hoya, but he had purposefully ignored them. Sungyeol learned he was really good in it.

 

The door bell rung. Sungyeol was texting with Woohyun, Daeyeol was in University, his father at work and his mother had her day off.

She asked Sungyeol to get the door.

 

The door rang a second time and Sungyeol opened it, his eyes fixed on the mobile screen.

'Need to talk to you' was the short message Woohyun had sent him. Before he could reply, he looked up.

“No.” Was Sungyeol's first reaction when he saw the person standing in front of him. Automatically he slammed the door shut into the intruders face.

 

Sungyeol's mother came into the hallway as she heard the door close again.
“Who's it Sungyeol? Why did you close the door?” She pushed Sungyeol out of the way, completely ignoring her oldest son's complaints and whining.

 

She opened the door again, revealing Hoya's upset face.

He had pushed his hands into his pockets and pulled his shoulders up a little.

 

“Ah! You came! Why won't you enter!” She moved, allowing Hoya in. He avoided Sungyeol's deadly glare.

 

“Sungyeol stop being rude, take his jacket and show your friend around!”

His mother closed the door again and stalked off into the kitchen, probably to prepare a few snacks. Sungyeol grabbed Hoya's jacket off his hand and hung it up high on the jacket standee.

 

“Why are you here?” He asked as he walked into the living room, Hoya following him.

“You wouldn't answer my calls and I needed to talk to you. I'm really sorry.”

Sungyeol sat down and ignored him again.

 

Hoya stood in the living room, not knowing if he was allowed to sit or not.

“Aw, young man why won't you sit! Lee Sungyeol, stop being rude to your friend! He came all the way to you from Seoul, so stop sulking.”

 

Sungyeol stared at his mother as Hoya took a seat across Sungyeol.

“No no, you should sit next to Sungyeol, dad is going to be home soon and he doesn't like it if someone sits on his seat.” Daeyeol said, plopping onto the single sofa.

 

He flipped back the book open where he had stopped reading.

Hoya went to sit next to Sungyeol, who had his legs crossed and played with the armrest of the couch.

 

Hoya hadn't expected the whole family to gather in the living room. So he kept silent.

“Sungyeol, you never told us about your friend! Who are you, son? And where did you meet our Sungyeol?”

 

Hoya didn't know what to answer, so he awkwardly stumbled upon his words. He did feel a little intimidated with Sungyeol's younger brother's presence. He knew, even though the younger was reading in his medical book, he was sharply listening to every word spoken.

 

“Well, I-”

Sungyeol hived a sigh, making Hoya stop in the middle of his sentence.

“That's Howon mum.” Although Sungyeol hadn't answered all of her questions, she

 

seemed content with the fact that her son finally showed some kind of guest friendliness.

 

“Did you two fight?” Daeyeol hadn't looked up from his book, lazily flipping to the next page.

Silence followed for a short moment. Sungyeol stretched his arm out over the armsrest towards his brother and laid his head on top of it.

“You have such a sharp mind Dae. My brother is a genius!”

Daeyeol sent a short lived glare towards his brother and glanced between Hoya and Sungyeol.

 

Hoya hadn't said anything yet beside his name. He awkwardly sat there, shoulders hunched.

Sungyeol's mother scoffed. “Friends do tend to fight, so don't let that destroy your bond. Fights make your friendship stronger! Now stop being irresponsible, Sungyeol, and make up with each other.”

 

Sungyeol's eyes snapped towards his mother. “Irresponsible?”

His mother rolled her eyes and stood up.

“Yes, irresponsible. Now go, take your friend and set up the table while you talk it out.”

 

Sungyeol let out a sharp breath as he stood up.

“I never told you about him because he isn't my friend, mum. He's my boss. So stop saying friend, would you?”

 

Hoya's face fell in a matter of seconds. He tried to hide how much these two sentences hurt him. He didn't know if he had succeeded or not.

His mother looked a few times between Hoya and Sungyeol silently.
“Your boss?”
Sungyeol rolled his eyes. Hoya decided he had gotten them from his mother.

“Yes, mum. My boss.”

 

Sungyeol already had disappeared into the kitchen as Mrs. Lee ushered Hoya up.

“Don't mind him. He's really moody and a little stubborn. Sungyeol.. he's very gullible and easily hurt. Don't mind his attitude, I'm sure he sees you as his friend too.”

Hoya gave a small smile as he followed where Sungyeol had left a few minutes ago.

 

Sungyeol was facing him with his back, getting down a few plates. His shirt rode up a bit, revealing his milky skin by just a few centimetres. Hoya swallowed a little as he went to stand next to him.

 

“Get the cutlery, it's in the second drawer over there.” Sungyeol gestured with his head towards the said cabinet.

 

Hoya did as told.
“I'm sorry. I didn't want to bawl at you like that in front of everyone. It's just, the situation was so absurd that I-”

Hoya had laid the cutlery onto the table next to the plates Sungyeol had put down.

 

“That you still did let out your pent up frustration on me? I mean you're the chief of the station, you're only supposed to do paperwork, take care of the very few private patients we get. But you were pulled from one side to another that day, where I was down in the ER with a few students. I get it, it was too much for you.”

 

Sungyeol slammed down a few water glasses, his rant ending with a bitter edge. Hoya was amazed that the glasses hadn't broken.

 

“That's got nothing to do with what was happening in the station. It was more or less because of the incompetent idiots who didn't manage to get up a patient-”

Sungyeol turned around and stared down at Hoya.

For the first time ever since he met Sungyeol, Hoya was intimidated by the taller.

“And yet you let out your anger on me” Sungyeol jabbed his own chest with his finger. “It was me whom you decided to let your anger out, me and no one else. Instead of pulling those responsible aside, you decided to humiliate me in front of everyone else. You knew very well where I was when it happened.”

Sungyeol still didn't back away. He kept staring down into Hoya's eyes, who squirmed around a little.

 

“I know. It was wrong and I'm sorry, really.”

Sungyeol stared at him for another two minutes before he turned around and got the napkins.

“You're not irresponsible. I mean, if you were I wouldn't have forwarded you to the open position.”


Sungyeol dispensed the napkins, one for each of them.

He didn't say anything as he silently placed the plates and silverware neatly around the table.

 

“Look, I'm really sorry. Really really sorry. What do I have to do for you to believe me?”

Sungyeol filled the food into different bowls and plates, spreading them on the table.

“You pay for lunch, the next ten weeks. And not this weird Mensa food.”

Hoya wasted no second as he nodded two times. “Fine, will do.”

 

Sungyeol looked satisfied.
“How did you even find my house address out?”

Hoya turned a darker shade of red and started to cough a little.
“Say, uh. Where's the toilet?”

 

Sungyeol squinted his eyes a little as he gestured down the hallways.

Hoya quickly disappeared into the shown direction.

 

Around ten minutes had passed and Hoya still hadn't come out of the bathroom.

Sungyeol had plopped back onto the couch in the living room.

“Is your friend okay? Is he sick? He's in there for quite a time now.”

Sungyeol just shrugged.

 

Two minutes later there was a loud thud heard from the bathroom.

“Howon, are you okay? Did you hurt yourself?” Sungyeol's mom called out.

“Don't worry mum, not even an asteroid could damage his thick skull.” Sungyeol exclaimed as he inspected his nails.

Another two minutes had passed and Hoya came out.

 

The only one missing was Sungyeol's father.

“In ten minutes he should be home and then we can have dinner!”

Hoya looked at the clock. It had gotten quite late. Before he could voice out his concern though, the front door opened and Daeyeol as well as Sungyeol jumped up and ran into the kitchen.

 

Hoya nervously kept patting his pants pocket's every now and then, to ensure that paper was still there.

He had stood up, not knowing if he should follow or not.


Mrs. Lee had stopped next to him.
“You know, he's a bit dense. He wouldn't even see your friendship if you waved a huge banner written on it. He wouldn't even notice a girl's confession even if she wrote him a love letter. He's someone who'd say 'Ah, the one receiving your love must be really lucky.' And he would leave with a broken heart, and probably breaking the girl's too.” She chuckled lightly as she pushed Hoya towards the kitchen.

 

Well, . Hoya thought as he crushed the small paper in his pocket.

Dinner had been fun. Mr. Lee had been very funny, cracking jokes on behalf of his sons.

Daeyeol had more of his fathers features. Sungyeol more of his mother. Though Sungyeol certainly didn't lag behind his father's sarcasm. Between the two brothers, Sungyeol seemed to be more down to earth and serious.

 

Once, Mr. Lee mentioned a student of Sungyeol. The more Mr. Lee told about her, the more Sungyeol blushed.
“He said, if she would have been in one of his classes, he'd have asked her out. But now he can't, because he's basically her teacher and she's his student.” His dad grinned, teeth showing.

 

Sungyeol had buried his face in his hands, protesting against what his dad had said.

It had ripped Hoya apart, but he kept a polite smile up his face and had pretended that he hadn't heard it.

 

Mrs. Lee had condemned Sungyeol to clean the dishes. Hoya wanted to help out of courtesy.

So the two ended up both in the kitchen next to each other. Sungyeol was washing the dishes and Hoya was rubbing them dry.

 

Hoya had never seen Sungyeol as relaxed as he was right now.

“You didn't answer my question. How did you find my parents house address? I'm sure it's not written in the station's directory and I never told you.”

 

Sungyeol stared, again, at Hoya. Hoya suddenly found the plate he was drying really interesting and scrubbed the same spot over and over again.

As Sungyeol got no answer, he got a little inpatient.

“Well?” he pressed again.

 

“Woohyun gave me this address. He said you'd be here your whole vacation.”

Sungyeol stared at him as if he lost his mind.

“Woohyun gave you? Since when are you and Woohyun on talking terms?”

Sungyeol leaned in, close. Too close, for Hoya's liking. Sungyeol had squinted his eyes a little, watching Hoya with a judging gaze.

 

“W-Well he..I..asked him..w-where you would be? B-Because you didn't pick up your phone and I really needed to apologize to you?”

Hoya reminded himself to take slow and deep breaths.

 

Sungyeol was just a few centimetres away from Hoya's face.

Hoya felt like his heart was going to jump out of his ribcage and he could feel his whole face heat up.

 

Sungyeol leaned even closer.
“Are you blushing?” Sungyeol grinned.
For the first time in days Sungyeol grinned at Hoya again.

 

It seemed like that was the last straw. Something in Hoya snapped and he didn't think, he didn't let his rational mind make a decision again.

So he leaned in and kissed Sungyeol, taking him by surprise.

 

Sungyeol stared at Hoya with wide eyes, who had his eyes squeezed shut.

Sungyeol was stiff as a board. It lasted only for a few seconds and Hoya stumbled away backwards.

 

Sungyeol had dropped the sponge and Hoya was clinging onto the plate he was holding.

 

“What was that, man?” Sungyeol tried to catch Hoya's eyes. The latter was avoiding it.

“I'm sorry. I.. I'm sorry.” He put the plate onto the dry half of the sink.

Sungyeol didn't say anything as he followed Hoya out of the kitchen to the front door.

 

Sungyeol's mother and father followed their oldest son curiously into the hallway.

“Oh, Howon! Are you already leaving? No, it's too late! You should stay over night. It's too dangerous to drive alone at night. Come on, you can sleep with Sungyeol in his room!” His mother had already turned around halfway to get the room ready but Hoya stopped her.

 

“No, no don't worry Mrs. Lee. I really should be leaving. It's late already and I have to be at work tomorrow early.” Hoya started to wear his shoes.

“But it's so late now, you'll be exhausted tomorrow!”

 

“Mum, calm down! It's just a drive of forty minutes. He won't die on his way.”

Sungyeol's dad sent him a mock-kick. “We didn't raise you like this Sungyeol! It's dark already, it'd be better if you stayed.”

 

Hoya and Sungyeol shook their head at the same time.

“It's better if I leave.”
“It's better if he leaves.” Both said in unison.

 

Sungyeol's parents let out a long sigh.

“At least walk him out Sungyeol.”

 

Sungyeol sent a short glare.

“He won't trip to death if he walks these ten meters alone dad.”

Hoya flared up a deep shade of red.

“It's okay, I can really go by myself-”

“Sungyeol, I said go!”

 

Said person sighed and slipped into his shoes as well.

He didn't take a jacket and closed the door behind him.

 

The two of them walked in silence to Hoya's car. The awkward air was thick between them.

Hoya felt like he was going to suffocate, his chest kept restricting. It felt like his lungs were on fire. Sungyeol on the other hand wanted nothing but hide in his room.

 

“Well, I'll be going now.”

Hoya saw Sungyeol nod shortly. The older seated himself into his car and closed the door. One last time he caught Sungyeol's eyes and then disappeared down the street.

 

As soon as he took the turn in the road he parked his car a few meters ahead, turned his motor and lights off. Hoya buried his face in his hands and tried to slow down his ragged breathing. He failed, as it turned into silent sobs. 


Wordcount: 6895

I'm back whoop. :D