Chapter 11

Silent Warriors

So he cried, over his stupid mistake and about Sungyeol probably finding someone else attractive. Least to say, Hoya didn't look good the next day at work. Instead of letting his frustration out, he kept to himself and didn't come out of his office the whole day.

 

Sungyeol remembered the next day that Woohyun had messaged him. And it actually had sounded quite urgent.

He had completely forgotten about it. Sungyeol's brain was working endlessly, trying to figure out why Hoya had suddenly kissed him.

 

Sungyeol found no plausible explanation for it, so he assumed the older had lost a bet.

Satisfied with what he came up with, Sungyeol fished his phone out of the nightstand's drawer.

 

'What's so urgent? Sry, had a v special visitor ystdy.' Not even five minutes had passed and Woohyun had replied.

'CB R203 VF Defi CA CPR'
Sungyeol had been lying on his bed on his stomach. He stared at his smartphone's display.

He didn't waste another second as he quickly stood up while calling his best friend.

 

Sungyeol held his phone with one hand, while he searched for his suitcase with the other. It felt like an eternity until Woohyun picked up.


“What do you mean Code Blue? Why didn't anyone tell me? How is she now?”

Sungyeol grabbed his whole clothing and threw it messily into his suitcase.

 

“She's fine for now, though I don't think we can consider her stable. She had a ventricular fibrillation and her heart stopped working completely after defibrillation even after giving CPR. So we injected her adrenaline and continued CPR-”

Sungyeol zipped his suitcase shut with one hand.

“It all but adrenaline failed? Have you checked the settings of the defi? I'm on my way now. Is the doctor who treated her during Code Blue present?”

 

Woohyun sighed.
“Sungyeol, you're on vacation. Why won't you just enjoy your days off instead of coming back now? It's all under control, everything is fine. I only told you because it's your patient and you deserve to know.”

 

Sungyeol, though, didn't have a good feeling about it.

“Look Hyun, I know you're worried and stuff but I need to come back now. I feel like something's going to happen and I don't want other doctors who have no clue what they're doing handling this case you know?”

“Sungyeol, it wasn't any doctor who treated her. It was Hoya who did, so you can be assured she's in good hands.”

 

Sungyeol had stopped pushing his suitcase towards his room's door.

“What do you mean Hoya treated her? He was visiting me yesterday.”

Woohyun let out a surprised noise.

“He didn't tell you? It happened in the night from the day before to yesterday.”

Sungyeol made a disbelieving sound.

“I'm still coming. See you in around an hour.” Sungyeol ended the call and angrily pushed his suitcase to the door.

 

He went back to his brother and clapped him onto the shoulder.

“I know it's sudden but a patient got very sick so I need to go back earlier. Mum and dad are still working right? Tell them that I had to leave earlier. I'll make sure to call in the following weeks. Study well! Take care!” He squeezed his brother's shoulder one last time and sprinted out the door, pulling his suitcase with him and leaving Daeyeol with a confused expression on his face back in the living room.

 

Sungyeol had never driven so fast in his life. At some point he worried that the car wouldn't be able to handle the speed he put it through so he slowed down a little.

 

As promised Sungyeol had arrived in the hospital, wearing his white gown with his name tag on again, an hour later.

Woohyun just shook his head in disbelief.


“Now, where's he? Never mind, he can wait.” Sungyeol fished out Mrs. Oh's record and went into her room.

He talked a little to her, asking her how she was feeling although she couldn't answer.

He sat on a chair as he read through the notes Hoya had written.

Sungyeol scribed a few more things down. Things like how Mrs. Oh seemed to react more to her environment. Sungyeol had spent a few hours in her room. He didn't leave her side once as he kept talking to her and wrote every little movement down he saw.

 

Every now and then Woohyun came in to check up on him but Sungyeol always shooed him out.

 

Sungyeol had been in Mrs. Oh's room for around five hours. With new insights, he went to the nurse lounge and traded Mrs. Oh's file for their youngest patient.

“Dr. Lee?” A small voice broke his train of thoughts.


Sungyeol turned half around and saw student Yoo gripping her stethoscope tightly. An advise Sungyeol had given them months ago. If you don't know what to do with your hands, hold your stethoscope while giving out bad news.

 

Sungyeol caught her eye, waiting for her to continue as he opened the file of the boy.

“Weren't you on vacation for another two weeks?” Sungyeol looked up for a short second from the file.

“Yeah, I was. I still am actually, I'm not paid for being here right now.”

She nodded.

“I guess you came back because of what happened with Mrs. Oh?” Sungyeol hummed in response.

“You didn't have to interrupt your vacation. She was and still is in good hands.”

Sungyeol snapped the file shut. “I know she's in good hands. She's still my patient and I'd like to know if something happens with her right away instead of the next day. Speaking of. Can you find Dr. Lee for me and tell him to find me? We have something to.. take care of.” Sungyeol watched the student a few more seconds. She seemed like she wanted to say something but decided against it. “Sure. You'll be in Kim Myungdae's room then?”


“Mhm, will be.” He waved twice as he made his way to the door. The female just hived a sigh and shook her head as she made her way out of the second door to find the boss.

 

Sungyeol was sitting with his back to the door, legs crossed as he talked again to the small boy lying in the huge bed.

As Sungyeol went through the notes his substitute had written, he noted the huge improvement.

 

“Myungdae, you're going to be healthy again! I promise. Look how strong you are!” Sungyeol was smiling lightly. The door opened silently and Hoya slipped in. His face was unreadable. Hoya was, deep down, scared of what Sungyeol wanted to settle with him.

Instead of making his presence known, Hoya watched Sungyeol take care of the child. Even if the latter was just talking to him. Sometimes Sungyeol would pat the child's arm, as if he just made a very funny joke. A few minutes passed like that, until Hoya spoke up.

“Why are you here?” Smooth, Hoya, very smooth he told himself as he pulled a grimace at his own words for a second.

 

Sungyeol turned halfway around on the chair as he threw Hoya a nasty glare.

“I'm here because you withheld information from me. About my patient.”

Hoya stared and Sungyeol, who stared back just as fierce.

“I didn't tell you any of what happened because you are on vacation and you're supposed to unwind yourself during your days off. Instead of hanging with half your mind in the hospital.”

Sungyeol turned around again, wrote a few things onto the paper and bid good bye to the boy.

 

Then he stood up, walking towards Hoya. In last second he put a few centimetres between them though. “She's still my patient and she's still under my care, my responsibility. You just can't keep stuff like that for yourself.”

Sungyeol opened the door and Hoya walked out, Sungyeol following him. He closed the door silently.

They now stood in the hallway of the ICU, arguing quite audibly.

“I didn't withhold you any informations. I just deemed them not important enough to tell you because I knew you would come back and work even during your rare days off.”

Hoya crossed his arms, not understanding why Sungyeol was angry at him.

 

“Excuse me? You deemed it not important enough to let me know that my patient, my patient who's not stable, had a ventricular fibrillation and didn't get better after correct treatment with the defi and CPR? Not important enough?” Sungyeol was fuming. He had balled his hands into fists, knuckles turning white from the pressure he put into them.

 

Hoya stared at him.
“I wanted to tell you, okay? When I went to visit you. But you were relaxed for the first time I've ever met you so I kept it for myself! I didn't know caring about someone was a crime.” Hoya huffed out angrily, doing everything in his might not to explode again.

Sungyeol scoffed.


“Caring? Sure. Should have thought about that before you humiliated me in front of everyone else.”
Sungyeol turned around in anger. He hated how easily he cried when he was angry.


“You're still at that? Didn't you accept my apology yesterday?” Sungyeol laughed.
“You thought it would be fine if you paid for lunch? Just like that?”

Now Hoya was getting really angry.

“You don't even give me a chance to apologize properly! All you do is scoff, roll your eyes and not listen. But when it comes to Woohyun you forgive him like nothing ever happened!”
Sungyeol turned around furiously.


“Yeah the difference between Woohyun and you is, that he's my best friend but you aren't! Get that into your head. You're my boss. Nothing more.”

Hoya stared at him in disbelief. And he was hurt. This time he didn't try to hide it. Sungyeol could see how something broke in Hoya. He knew he should feel bad but at the heat of the moment he didn't.

So all he did was leave a broken Hoya behind as he stalked into his office, waltzing nearly everyone away who was in his way.

 

Sungyeol had spent the rest of his vacation like that, running between Mrs. Oh's and Myungdae's room. He avoided Hoya, just like the latter avoided him.

Sungyeol was stubborn. He was still angry at the withheld information. He didn't understand how Hoya just kept it from him. So he kept telling himself that he didn't need to feel bad for the words he had thrown around.

 

The atmosphere turned icy cold as soon as the two were together in the same room. Dongwoo and Woohyun tried to avoid these situations as much as they could.


In the meantime, Sungyeol had been harder on the students. Some started to prefer Hoya over Sungyeol.

 

Sungyeol had caught Mr. Oh up on the hallway and asked him to sit with him for a few minutes as he had some things to talk about.

Sungyeol thought he was going to have a talk with the elder alone. He clearly thought wrong. Mr. Oh's son sat down next to his father, without asking.

 

“Mr. Oh, I've noticed a few improvements in your wife's condition.” Mr. Oh's solemn face brightened up a little.
“Really? What improvements?”
Sungyeol smiled a little as he told him about the little reactions his wife showed when he talked to her.

Mr. Oh was overjoyed, his son though wasn't.


“So what if her eyelids moved? It's a normal human reaction to literally everything. Where were you when mum's heart stopped? Shouldn't you be talking about that?”

Sungyeol tried his best to control his eyebrows, doing all of his might not to raise them.


“I've been sent to forced vacation. I haven't been present when it happened and I haven't been filled in with every detail-”

“Of course you weren't here. Sure, forced vacation.”

For the first time during the entire therapy, Sungyeol witnessed Mr. Oh snap.


“Shut your damn mouth Mansoo! It's annoying how you pretend that you know everything better than the doctors! Why do you think your mum never got the right therapy? Because you kept meddling and threatening the doctors! Didn't you learn from your past mistakes? Stop pretending you know anything about this field. You had your chance in med school but you didn't take it, so let the man do his job!”

Mr. Oh had turned a dark shade of red. His son was glaring daggers at him. Sungyeol squeezed his mouth shut, gripping the file in his hands.

 

“Now you will either let this young man tell us what he observed or you leave and go calm your hot head somewhere else.”

Mansoo looked like he was going to punch his father but took a deep breath and glared at Sungyeol instead. Sungyeol tried to take no notice of it and continued to fill Mr. Oh in.

“So there's hope left? For her to wake up?” Mr. Oh's eyes were twinkling with happiness.

“I can't promise anything, but it's quite an improvement to see her responding.” Sungyeol smiled.
“There's always hope for everyone, Mr. Oh. I don't want to give definite answers like yes or no. Because at the end of the day, we are doing everything we can to help Mrs. Oh. And sometimes, even if we do our best, we fail too. So please, don't give up on your wife. She's a fighter and I will do my best to help her win her fight.”


Mr. Oh was holding back his tears as he gratefully patted Sungyeol's shoulder.

Mansoo stood up abruptly and left. Sungyeol ignored the uneasy feeling.

“Thank you doctor.” Sungyeol smiled again as his phone interrupted their conversation.

“Excuse me.” Sungyeol picked up the phone. It had been the laboratories. Sungyeol stood up and turned his back to Mr. Oh as he talked in a hushed voice.

 

While he was informed about the muslce biopsy results, he saw Mr. Oh's son come back. What made him suspicious was, that the young man came from the direction of his office. His office was located at the end of the hallway, where no patient rooms where harboured.

He thanked the lab technician and ended the call. With one last taken aback glance towards the tall man he turned around and bid goodbye to Mr. Oh.

 

Sungyeol still was, officially, on vacation. So naturally he took Sunggyu by surprise when the doctor entered the older man's room.

“Dr. Lee! I thought you were on vacation? What are you doing here?” Sunggyu wheeled around and towards Sungyeol.


“Ah, word spreads quite fast here, doesn't it?” Sungyeol laughed lightly. “Well, I suppose I still am though I just dropped by to check up on you.”

Sunggyu gave him a blending smile.

“May I?” Sungyeol gestured towards the unoccupied chair.
“Of course, what a question!” Sunggyu rolled his wheelchair back to the table. Sungyeol sat down onto the chair, resting his arms on the table.

 

“Mr. Kim, I just got your results of the biopsy.”

Sunggyu watched him. Sungyeol had paused a little as he fished out the paper he had folded in two.
“They just faxed me a copy of the report.” He unfolded it and shifted his chair towards Sunggyu.

He pointed to a few values.

“It's been confirmed that you have Becker's Disease. I'm really sorry about this.”

Sunggyu didn't say anything as he kept staring onto the paper.

It has been confirmed that the patient, Kim Sunggyu (age 27), born 28.04.1989, inherited Becker's disease. It is confirmed by 99.99%.

 

Sunggyu took it all in. He didn't speak up for ten minutes, as he stared onto the paper. Sungyeol gave the patient the space and time he needed.


“What does that mean? What's Becker's Disease? What will happen now?”
The juvenility had been replaced by worry and fear.

Sungyeol considered his words, how to word it to make it sound less scary.

 

“Becker's Disease is a disease that affects the muscles and muscular strenght. It started to affect your legs already, but soon it will also reach your upper half. It's considered a progressive disease. Though your upper body won't be as affected as your lower body, you'll probably still feel how you lose strenght in your neck and arms and so on. What we can do to help you is to change your therapy plan. More physiotherapy. Physical therapy is very important to keep and build your muscle strenght. You already got a wheelchair, and maybe you won't need it in the future. You can replace it by crutches later on. The most important thing is not to give up. For now, your symptoms aren't severe. You'll be able to lead your life just like before, the only thing that'll change is that you'll get a lot more physiotherapy and orthopedic appliances.” Sungyeol smiled slightly, an encouraging smile. Of course he wouldn't know what the patients felt when he informed them about their diseases. Of course he never would know the pain the patients had to go through. But he knew he would do everything he could to help them as much as he could.

 

“And we will give you prednisone, a medication that is similar to the protein that causes the muscle weakness. It should slow down the wasting.”

Sungyeol looked down onto the paper.

 

“Mr. Kim. To be on the safe side I'll make sure you get KAFO, a supportive, flexible cast you have to wear at night. It will prevent from shortening your Achilles' tendon. Oh and before I forget it, you need to find a cardiologist. If you want to, I can find you one. Get your heart checked every three months, just like your lungs.”

Sunggyu kept staring onto the table, processing everything Sungyeol had said.

 

“I won't be able to walk again, right?” Sunggyu looked at him with sad eyes. Sungyeol bit his lip. He repositioned himself on the chair, leaning a little forward as he put both his hands flat onto the paper. “And please, I'd appreciate it if you found me a cardiologist and pulmonary specialist.” Sungyeol nodded in understandment.

 

“These are just values. Numbers. Numbers don't determine your fate. If you keep going to your prescribed physiotherapy and take the medications, you should be able to walk. Though I don't know if you would want to walk on shaky legs. Something could happen to your hip again. It's your choice. If you want cranes, we can give you cranes. With cranes, it'll be a lot harder. If you want to keep walking, sure. It's your choice. I'm going to prescribe you what you want.” Sunggyu chewed his lips.


“You said the wheelchair would be better? Is it because my legs will someday stop supporting me?” Sungyeol gave him a sympathizing smile. “Eventually, yes.”

Sunggyu looked sad, as if his whole life had been taken away from him.

 

“You don't have to choose now. You can also choose on the Orthopedic station-”

Sunggyu's eyes snapped towards Sungyeol. “Orthopedic Station? I'm going away from here?”

 

Sungyeol watched Sunggyu for a few seconds.
“I'm sorry, yes. This station is acutally just for patients with lifethreatening conditions. Since we found out about your disease now..” Sungyeol awkwardly scratched his head.

 

“But I don't want to be treated by anyone else but you.” Sunggyu stubbornly crossed his arms.

“Mr. Kim.. I understand that you probably don't want new doctors to take up your case but they know way more about this than I do. I'm just a neurologist.”

Sunggyu turned his head away from Sungyeol.

“You're a good doctor though, I don't care if you're a neurologist or whatever specialisations you guys have- in my eyes you're qualified enough to treat me and that's the only thing that matters, right?” Sunggyu still didn't look at Sungyeol.

 

“Mr. Kim, I only know so much about this disease. There are doctors specialized on just this disease. They'll be able to help you, adapt the therapy to your special needs. I can't do that. I promise you the doctors on the Othopedic Station are just as good.”

 

Sunggyu looked back at the doctor, finally, though doubtfully. “Fine, let's say there are doctor's who are maybe as good as you. But what about Nurse Nam? Honestly, I've never met a caring nurse like him.”

 

Sungyeol tried not to choke on his own saliva as he fumbled to keep a straight face.

“Nurse Nam? Oh, yes, he's a very caring nurse. I don't know how the nurses on the other station are, but I'm sure they're just as caring and helpful.”

 

“I'm not leaving, no matter how hard you try and talk it good. No one is as good as you two.”

Sungyeol felt like he was conversing with a brick wall. Thick headed and stubbornly hard to get through.

 

“But Sir, Mr. Kim! I'm not qualified enough, I'm just a neurologist-” Sungyeol tried again, in hope Sunggyu would understand the more Sungyeol said it. Apparently not.

 

“You are qualified and I'm staying.” Sungyeol stared at the patient's head. Said man was staring right back, the stubborn fire in his eyes burning.
Sungyeol hived a deep sigh.

“Please think about it until today evening, yes?” He stood up.

“No.” Was the answer as Sungyeol had said his goodbyes. Internally, Sungyeol was banging his head against an invisible wall.

 

Sungyeol looked for Woohyun but couldn't find him. So he went into the nurse lounge and got himself a cup of coffee, sitting down onto an unoccupied chair. He threw one leg over the other as he looked out of the window while sipping his coffee.

 

Sungyeol had a perfect view onto the hospital's garden. He sat like that, thirty minutes. Since he wasn't allowed to work officially, he took his time.

 

He played with his cup a little. Ten minutes later, Woohyun slipped into the seat opposite him.

“Heard you were looking for me? Also, Sungyeol. Not to be rude but off and go enjoy your vacation. Can't bear you working even when you're not even allowed to be in this god forsaken hospital. So what's up?”

Sungyeol looked up into Woohyun's face. “Did you just- Anyway.” he sighed again.
“Your favourite patient doesn't want to leave the IMC. He needs to be transferred to the orthopedics station but..” Woohyun hummed in acknowledgement. “He says he doesn't want to be treated by anyone else than you and me.”
Woohyun lit up like a christmas tree. “He said that? He wants to be treated by only me?”

 

Sungyeol stared at his best friend incredulously for ten seconds. “Really? That's all you got to say? After telling you he refuses to leave the station?”
Woohyun stared at him with lack of understanding. “Yes, but did he really say that? Fine, don't discharge him. No one is better than you and me anyway. Together we are the dream team.” Woohyun made the cute gun pose, his index finger under his chin and his thumb pointing upwards.

 

“Woohyun, I'm not qualified enough. Won't you two understand that?”
Woohyun shook his head. “Just get the doc who's supposed to treat him now here. Like call him, tell him he got to treat one of your patients.”

Sungyeol was about to protest but Woohyun raised his hand. “Nuh-uh. Not going to hear you out. Do as I say. You heard him, he wants us. Now leave, I don't want to see you again until your shift starts.”

 

Sungyeol stared at his best friend with his mouth agape.

“I'm going to lose my medical license because of you two! And no. I'm going to come back tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after. And actually every day until my vacation is over.” Sungyeol melodramatically crossed his arms.
“You call him stubborn but look at you, ah. Even worse.” Woohyun threw him a nasty glare as he stood up to see who had ringed the alarm.

 

Sungyeol called it a day a few hours later and went home.

The next few weeks passed uneventfully. The most exciting thing that had happened was, that Sungyeol was allowed to work officially again.

 

Hoya and Sungyeol were trying to keep their fight out of their professional life, eventhough it was uncomfortable to be around them when they were together.

 

So one day, naturally, Sungyeol was doing his rounds. He had called the doctor from the orthopedic station, a friend of his, to come and take a look at Sunggyu's case.

Sungyeol was just on his way with said friend, as an intern cut their way.

 

“Dr. Lee? Head of department wants to speak to you. He says it's urgent, room 203.” With that, the intern disappeared again. Sungyeol furrowed his eyebrows as he halted for a second.

He shook his head, trying to clear his mind.

“Why won't you go in? I'll be back as soon as possible. He's a little stubborn though, he might not want to talk to you.”
She laughed. “It's okay, I've had my share of hard cases. See you in a bit.” Sungyeol watched her walk away.

 

He slowly made his way to said room. On his way, he thought of every possible scenario. Mrs. Oh had made so many improvements, giving not only her family but also Sungyeol hope that she would wake up one day.

 

Sungyeol had entered her room, Hoya already waiting for him with his arms crossed. He stood on her right bed side. Sungyeol pulled on a pair of the familiar disposable gloves.

 

“I read the file. You said she was responding more and more to her environment?”

Sungyeol followed Hoya's motions.
“Yes. I did.” Sungyeol curtly replied.

 

“I came back to check on her heart rates. I noticed something off. I'm just an internist and you're the neurologist, so.” Hoya pulled his penlight out, pulling first one eyelid up and letting the light shine onto it. Then he moved the penlight slightly. Nothing happened. He repeated his movements with the other eye. Still nothing.

Sungyeol tried to comprehend what he just saw. It couldn't be. It couldn't have happened. He had checked up on her just two hours ago. Everything was fine. Everything, including the reaction of her pupils. Hoya waited for Sungyeol to speak up, seeing how the younger had suddenly turned ash white.

 

“This can't be!” Sungyeol exclaimed as he pulled out his own penlight. He shone the light first into her left and then her right eye, moving the light each time a little.


“This can't be true, no. I checked up on her two hours ago. Everything was fine, she was reacting to everything. Everything. Even to light.” Sungyeol was frantically pacing around, gripping his head. Eventhough Hoya was still angry with him, he couldn't help but feel a little sympathy.

 

“It's not your fault Sungyeol. You couldn't have known. And even if you did, you couldn't have prevented it.”
Sungyeol abruptly halted and whirled around, giving Hoya a disbelieving stare.
“I couldn't have known it? I'm a neurologist, I'm supposed to know and prevent!”
Sungyeol was close to hyperventilating. He let himself fall onto the chair next to Mrs. Oh's bed. The steady sound of the monitor was breaking the silence.

 

Sungyeol felt like he was going to faint.

“No this can't be. No. No no no no. I need following tests. As soon as possible.” He mumbled to himself as he got the file from the working table and started to write down.

“Test brainstem reflexes, tracheal and pharyngealreflex, oculocephalic reflex, pupillary consensual light reflex, pain reaction, apnoe..” Sungyeol's voice got more and more silent towards the end. He was hanging over the file, supporting himself up with his hands.


Hoya watched him with pity.
Sungyeol straightened up again, though his shoulders were hanging low, his head bowed deep. It was a sad sight to see.

 

Without another word, Sungyeol took the closed file and left the room silently.
Hoya just watched him go. He gave one last warm glance towards the patient and left as well.

 

On his way it seemed like he just had passed Mr. Oh. The latter looked confused. Usually Sungyeol would greet him.

Hoya went up to him.
“Mr. Oh? I'm sorry but the visiting times are way over. You need to leave now. Please come back tomorrow again.”

 

Said man looked like wanted to protest.

“Dr. Lee never made me leave though.”
Hoya gave a small smile. “I'm not Dr. Lee though.” He pointed towards his name tag.

Dr. Lee Howon, Head of Department.

 

Mr. Oh left after a while then, even if reluctantly.

It was better like that, Hoya had thought.

 

Sungyeol spent the next few days in Mrs. Oh's room. He was doing the clinical tests over and over again. He wasn't satisfied with the results. No, he was terrified. He was scared.

 

Sungyeol noted the same results of his fifth iteration. He had tiredly raised his gloved thumb again, as he halted midway. There had been two doctors who had watched him do his work, a mandatory rule he had to keep. His first colleague was too tired after one and a half day of running tests. Sungyeol had scoffed, telling him to stay just a little longer. But to no avail. He sent in another doctor, who was holding up way better than the first.

 

Sungyeol put light pressure onto Mrs. Oh's eyelids in sequence, sweeping lightly over them.

Sungyeol sighed again as he noted the results.

“Sungyeol, by all means. You're doing these tests for how long now? Four days? Don't you think it's unavoidable to finally accept the fact that-”


Sungyeol whirled around and stared at his colleague, bloodshot eyes focusing on the female in front of him. “How can you say that so easily? Would you want doctors to give up on you because they think you're brain dead? Would you want to be declared dead even if you aren't?”

She stared at him, shocked. She hadn't expected him to get angry like that.

“No of course not, but that's not the same-”

Sungyeol didn't say more as he turned around and continued with his test.

 

In a matter of seven hours, he had finished his fifth run. Like his colleague had said, he finally accepted that a sixth run wouldn't change his results either. Sungyeol didn't want to give up yet, so he ordered a few other tests. They weren't necessary, since the clinical tests all showed the same result.

 

Sungyeol went into the nurse lounge, his colleague following him.

He fetched the next best nurse he could find, pulling them aside.

“I want an EEG, a color-coded Doppler sonography, perfusions scintigraphy, angiography, sensory evoked potential, MRI, acustically evoked potential and auditory brainstem evoked potentials and PET.” The nurse was confused, but tried her best to keep up with what Sungyeol demanded. When she gave him her okay, he thanked her and left again. On his way back into the ICU section, he saw how Mr. Oh's son was wandering around the hallways, looking around.

Sungyeol didn't know why but the boy irked him. Something about him was off.

He didn't waste any second on Mansoo anymore. Sungyeol passed Mrs. Oh's room and went to the small boys room.

 

Before he could open the door though, a silent sob took him by surprise as tired tears flowed down his ashen face. Sungyeol hadn't slept for four days now. Five minutes long his hand hovered over the door knob. He wiped clumsily his face with his free hand as the other finally got a hold of the door handle.

 

Before he went in, he saw Mrs. Oh's bed rolled out of the door with a frantic Mr. Oh walking behind them.

Sungyeol needed to tell the guardian about it. He couldn't though, he didn't have the heart to do it.

Before Mr. Oh could see and catch up with him, Sungyeol slipped into the young boy's room.


wordcount: 5329

somehow the last sentence got swallowed and i had to update again! XD