3 The real Daehyun

Designing love

I looked at my reflection one more time in the mirror of my locker before taking my stuff and closing the café. I said Jongup he could go home, I would close alone. He thanked me many times before leaving, he said he had dance training or something like that and had to leave. It's my first time closing alone. It was nice, like it was my own coffee shop and I had to take care of everything, waiting for my husband. Very nice. But crazy. My mind didn't seem to work better. Since I met Daehyun, it became worst. Seriously, my husband. I only met him some weeks ago (three if I am right) and I was already calling him my husband. First I got fantasy about him and now that. I swear I don't have a crush on him. I already like someone from university.
I checked if the door was locked correctly. At the same moment I heard a car parked behind me. When I turned, the driver opened the window.

"Need a ride young man ?" With the dark I couldn't see the person but I recognized his voice. It was Daehyun. I didn't hear it often but it was enough for me to remember. It was smooth, like honey. I was leaning to the window.

"If it's okay with you" I didn't want to bother him. But I wanted to spend time with him too. There was something, about his presence that makes you feel safe. Like nothing could reach you. Especially now, with the dark sky. He was protecting me from the crazy world. Stupid brain again. Stop with that. 

"Of course it is, Come in" He said indicating the seat next to him. Without hesitation, I joined him in the car. On the passenger seat was my design magazine. For a second, I forgot it was the reason of his presence. I loved this magazines. If only I could thank it for this minutes with the guy of my dreams. I would do it.

"Thanks for that. It was really instructive and inspiring." He informed me while I was indicating him the streets. I wonder if my magazines help him with some ideas or something that exciting.

"I'm glad it helped you in whatever you were doing." He chuckled at my reply. I was good at pretending I didn't know about his career. 

"It actually helped me a lot in what I was doing." I wanted to ask him what it was even if I already knew the answer. But I didn't want to seem too intrusive. I knew he would like that. It was a form of respect since he was not a talker.

"How did you... Find an interest in architecture?" When I found out you were architect. He looked at me before reporting his attention back on the road. I would never say it enough but, he was ing handsome.

"I think it came naturally, when I'm somewhere, I observe a lot and ask a lot of questions about the architecture, the era, the technical. I think I'm just a curious person." He nodded. "What about you, are you interested in architecture or you're just a curious man ?" He bit his lips like he was thinking about his answer. Will he say it or not?

"You can say I'm interested and curious... I'm architect." At least he said it. We were improving. I wanted him to be more comfortable when he talk with me. 

"It must be fascinating." I exclaimed like I was impressed, I kind of was, even knowing before he told me. He seemed embarassed but happy too. I think his job was all his life.

"It is." I think I used the right word to describe his job, his eyes were lighting when he answered.

"Everyday you discover a new thing. Your mind is more open." He explained.

"Yeah it is like... The simplest thing seemed not that simple. Everything has his own beauty." I said. I just thought it sounded good so I said it. I didn't know if this made a sense.

"You're totally right. That was exactly what I was trying to say." He replied, his eyes focused on me instead of the lights. It was the honk of the car behind which sort him out of his... contemplation. He coughed awkwardly before concentrating himself back on his driving. I myself didn't know where to look. I couldn't deny it, something happened. His gaze was so... Intense. "Your neighborhood is very lovely." He said with a professional tone. He was talking as architect.

"Thank you" What else could I say ? "I see it's the architect who's speaking right now" I  tried to joke a bit, it was quite tense in the vehicle.

"The architect and the man who loves beautiful things" He stopped right in front of my white fence and turn the engine off. "If you need an architect for your future home you know who to call now." He must said that in reference of the our conversation yesterday.

"I won't hesitate, I'm sure you're the best" I tried, as excuse to compliment him.

"Well don't tell Jongup but I think you're the best at making coffee." He told me on a joking tone.

"You didn't have to tell me that, I knew it" I said fakely serious.

"What a modest person." Daehyun answered. I discovered a new side of him. The funny one. I have to admit I liked it.

"That's what people like about me" I used a stiff voice, making him laugh. I could play this little game all night long, but it was dinner time, my parents would be waiting for me. "Thanks again for the ride" How was I supposed to tell him goodbye ? Shaking his hand ?, kissing his cheeks ? Waving at him? The last one must be good.

I waved at him saying goodbye at the same time as I opened the door.

"Youngjae?" He said before I could leave the car. "Is this okay if we see each other... Out of the coffee shop?" He asked unsure. He meant to hang out ? Why not.

"I would like that Daehyun." I could see I reassured him by saying that. If only he knew how I feel with him asking me that. I nearly squeal.

"What about Saturday, are you free ?" I immediately said yes without thinking. If I had something, I would cancel it. "Great" He pulled his professional card from his pocket and write something on it. "Here it's my personal number, if you have an impediment, tell me."

"Okay" 

--------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

"You think I should text him or something like that ?" I asked my best friend. I was fighting with my thoughts. I wanted to call Daehyun, but I didn't know what to tell him. He must be a busy man, I didn't want to bother him for nothing. I tried to act like a man his age, I won't act like a teenager texting his friend. He was probably not the type to text.

"Yes you should, he said if you have an impediment and you have one. You're supposed to spend the day with your best friend." Sulked Junhong. I forgot we were supposed to spend the day together. I said it before, if I would have something to do, I would have cancel it. He has to understand, we're best of friends.

"Seriously Jun." I pleaded him. "We can always be together." It was true, we were always together. And it was the first time I cancel a day with my friend. He gave up knowing I was right.

"You owe me" He warned me.

"Ice cream, pizza anything you want." I promised. He sigh.

"In my opinion you shouldn't do anything. No offense Jae, but he is interested in you only because of the architecture thing. If you never came with this magazine do you think he would ask you?" It was hurting but true. When he would know I don't know anything about the subject, he would lose interest in me.

"You're right" I admitted.

"You still can make him fall for you." He shrugged.

"I am not not in love with him. I just want to be his friend" I punched him lightly in the chest.

"Of course that's why you ignored all the guys here and you didn't even read those love letters. You love love letters" He said emphasized on the love word.

"It's not that, it's just with work and all. I kind of lost interest in this." Yes I found Daehyun attractive and all. But love was a big word.

"The hottest guy of the campus asked you to study with him and you didn't even say yes." Junhong looked at me like I was crazy.

"You know he is not the one I Iike" I remind him. 

"Oh yeah you like his friend who by the way was checking you out during all the lesson." I can't believe the guy I call my crush noticed me and I didn't threw an eye on him. Heck I didn't noticed it. "Will you admit the truth?" Whispered in my ear my best friend.

"Keep saying that. I know who I Iike" I ignored him.

"Okay. Find a reason to text Daehyun and do it." I think about the night. Everything we told each other.

" He didn't tell me where to meet nor when." It was in part an excuse. I knew it was Saturday but not at what time.

"In that case it would be wise to text him." I took a look at the card in my hand. Sober but class. There were an imprint telephone number and a handwriting one. I hesitantly type a text but erased it. I needed to sound like an adult. It must be easy.

From: Me
To: Daehyun
Hi Daehyun how are you it's Youngjae. I don't want to bother you but I forgot to ask you where  we are supposed to meet and what time.
Thank you and have a good day.

I showed Junhong the text who approved of it then sent it. More like my friend sent it before I could erase it again to re write another. The bell rang signaling the beginning of the class. I would have to wait I didn't know how many times until I could see an answer.

----------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

I turned my phone on to check my messages once in my bedroom. No text from Daehyun. A torture to wait. He surely won't reply tonight. It was quite late and he must be tired from work. I was tempted to call him but It would be kind of harassing or insisting too much. He would think I am boring. Like a girl. I was about to put the phone in my pocket when it vibrates. I became excited seeing the ID caller.

"Hello?" I answered trying to compose my voice

"Hi Youngjae it's Daehyun are you busy right now?" Asked Daehyun in a soft tone.

"No, I was getting ready to bed" Why did I say that ?

"Oh okay I won't be long. it's just about saturday, I planned to pick you up at your place at 11:30 AM. I wanted to take you somewhere for lunch but if it's too soon, I mean it will be the weekend maybe you would like to..."

"Daehyun. It's perfect. I will be ready." I cut him. I heard him sigh of relief.

"Hm okay. Thank you."

"Thank you Daehyun. Have a good night"

"Good night Youngjae. See you Saturday."

When I heard the hang up 'bip', I sigh of relief. I was like the adult of the conversation and Daehyun the kid. It was the second time he was scared of rejection, he was so unsure. Probably because of the age difference. I mean, he didn't know my age but he should know I was underage. 25 it's not that old.