1 New Job

Designing love

"Congratulations Youngjae, you got the job." Said the old man. Did I hear right? I did it. I got my first job. The first job interview of my whole life, without training and I did right.

"I... Thank you sir" I said to my new boss. I could jump on him or hug him but I don't think it would give a good impression of me. I don't want to be fired the second I have been hire.

"Here's your schedule, you start monday, Jongup will help you." I put the papers he gave me in my schoolbag then signed the ones he needed me to. I would have a paycheck, so cool.

"Thanks again for giving me a chance sir. I won't disappoint you." I shook his hand once again, a big grin on my face.

"I'm sure you won't Youngjae, that's why I hire you. Welcome to Brown house café." I couldn't wait to announce the good news to my family and my friend.

I was really excited. This work wasn't a need, my parents earned enough money to take care of the family, but I really wanted to gain professional experience, and prove them in a way I'm mature enough to take some decisions by myself. It was my first job, I would discover how it is to work, be in contact with strangers. And honestly, more pocket money was always welcome. I would be kind of independant. That was the main reason for finding a job. I would enter college soon, The right time to take some responsabilities.

I was impatient to tell my parents about the job, my best friend Junhong was the first one to know. It was impossible for me to wait until the end of the weekend to tell him, so I called him and invited him to a sleepover to celebrate it. When I say celebrate I don't talk about a party or a big crazy thing, but a night when we would talk until morning, watch movies, make teenagers stuffs. Let's say I was not a party guy. I like to spend nights with my friends talking about boys (crush), school stuffs and problems people our age have. I'm not a girl, I swear. Not only girls do this kind of things right !?

 

The table was set. Junhong and I were sitting on the left. Facing us were my brother Himchan and his boyfriend Yongguk and at the end of the table my father. The chef of the family. We were waiting for my mother who was coming with the dishes. I have the chance of having a family who, despite their hard and tiring career, tried to spend time together. You know my father is not one of this businessman who tries to chose his son's future. I was glad about that, I don't think I would follow my dad's path. I was not interrested in business.

As usual, at table we talked about our day at school or work. My brother always has the funniest story about something that happened at work. I couldn't wait to experience this kind of things I would tell around a nice dinner. They asked me if I had tests and marks. That was another thing I was not worry about. I was not a nerd or anything like that. I study enough to have a good position in school. Being in the top three was not that bad. My family would see I could manage school and work without failing in one or another.

"How was work Yongguk?" Yongguk was a music producer, he and Himchan met in a club. Not very romantic you would say, but since five years they are happy together, living in their cozy house. It never bothered my parents to have two only sons gay. I'm glad about it, I can't imagine myself with a girl. And my father really like his son in law. I hope he would like my future boyfriend too.

"Youngjae your father is talking to you" whispered Junhong. For how long was I thinking?

"Sorry dad, what did you say?" I realized I didn't follow a single word of the conversation.

"You said you wanted to tell us something son, what is it?" Oh yeah the good news of the day. All eyes were on me, wondering if the news would be a good one or a bad one. Only Jun knew what it was about.

"Dear family, I now have a job in a coffee shop" I said looking at each members of the family. My brother and his boyfriend raised their glass and congrats me. My mother kiss my cheek and my father ruffled my hair. I love my family so much.

"I know you would do it Youngjae, my boys are workers" Said my father proudly. It made me feel so warm inside. It's like I made something incredible. It boost my confidence. My father always told us to do our best at school if we wanted the job of our dream. Seeing his sons in the world of work made him feel so proud. Even if working in a coffee shop is a side job for me, he was happy to see me motivate to work without them (my parents) telling me it's time to find a job. The fact that I took the initiative made the difference.

After some informations about my job and a speech from my father about how proud of his sons he was, I asked the permission to leave the table with Junhong. I wanted to give him all the details of my day.

------------------------ -----------------------------------

At the end of a tired day of school, I hurried to the coffee shop. Something new to me but really excited. Jongup was already with some costumers. I was on time.

Jongup was younger than me, he studied in a different university that mine, he worked in the café since he is 15 or something like this. His parents are friends with the boss tho. Well except that, I didn't know much about him. He was a nice guy always volunteer to help. I never saw anyone else that him working here. I didn't even know if I had other co-worker. If we both are in univ, there must have other people working here.

I quickly change my school uniform to the work uniform who was white tee shirt and black pants with a brown apron. It looked nice on me. Jongup helped me, he showed me the ropes like we say. My first day was better than I expected. I was not alone. For the next times, I would have to do all I did today by myself. Without the help of my co worker.

My next shift would be Wednesday morning before school. It was the only day of the week I would have to work the morning. I was not a morning person, I think I would have to work on that. Otherwise I would scare the costumers away. 

Since it was early in the morning, my task was to open the café, Jongup would take my place when my shift is over.

-------------------------------------- -----------------------------

It has been already twenty minutes since I opened but I didn't see a soul. I checked for the second time if the 'open' was on the outside side. If this is like that all wednesdays, I could just do something so that I wouldn't be bored. I would try to drag Jun to keep me compagny. Tables were all clean, chairs on the floor. The smell of coffee bean was invading the room. It was pleasant, but not entertaining. For a second I thought about studying since I took my schoolbag with me. I would have to go to school just after so yeah, it's logical. But I saw a luxuary car parked in front of the café.

Oh someone is coming. My first client as barista / waiter solo. So excited. The client, a tall man with dark styled hair made his way toward the counter. He was wearing what I assume were his work clothes, suit and tie. I welcomed him with a smile. He was really handsome. And quite young.

"Welcome to Brown house café sir, what will you order?" The man looked at me, a slight frown on his face. I didn't know if he was thinking about what to order or if there was something on my face, since his eyes were on me.

"A black coffee please" He finally answered. I nodded politely and prepared the order quickly. I was lucky this guy wanted something easy to make. I put the hot cup of coffee in front of him. He thanked me, his eyes still on me. I was embarrassed and maybe a bit red. It was not everyday someone was looking at me that way. Especially a handsome man like him. I really wanted to ask if there was something on my face. No, don't tell me my morning face was on. I checked twice this morning if I was well awake. I even put some make up. You probably wonder how do I do the other mornings when I have school. It's simple, I wake up an hour before the time to go so that I have the time to be completely awake. And school is never THAT early. My shift was so early in the morning, I just woke up, showered, ate something quick and left. I really look like a zombie the morning.

"Excuse me if I look like a creep but, are you new here? I never saw you." That was it. He must be one of the regular costumers. So my face was fine right !? I was so paranoid.

"Yes I am, I just started Monday. I'm Youngjae." I said pointing out my tag name proudly. He just nodded at me. He probably didn't care about my name. Well I wanted to be polite and make some conversation. I didn't know yet how workers behave with clients. If I remember, Jongup tried some conversations too. The man was just not talkative, that must be that.

He finished his coffee in a sip then handed me the money for his drink.

"Then Youngjae, it was a pleasure meeting you." He got his briefcase back, I just spot it, and with a polite and charming smile left the place. This guy is weird. I cleared the bar, the man was weird, but nice. He left a tip under the mug.

 

"How was your morning shift Jae ?" My turn was over, it was Jongup's now.

"It was nice, there's not much costumers the morning, except the weird man." I had maybe four or five people this morning.

"Weird man, how was he ?"  He asked with a frown.

"He is quite tall with deep brown eyes. His hair is dark and short. He was wearing a grey suit and tie and had a briefcase with him." Jongup chuckled, his face back to normal. Did I say something fun ? Maybe the man was one of Jongup's friends, worse, a member of his family.

"You just met Daehyun and trust me he's not weird. He's just... Not talkative. Especially about him." Daehyun. Cute name. At least I understood why he acted the way he did. He was not a talking person. I thought for a moment he didn't like me because I was new. I can be stupid sometimes.

"He asked me if I'm new, does he come often?" I just wanted to know because he seemed to know the workers.

"Yep, he takes his coffee every morning at the same hour. You'll see him once a week it's not that bad." I didn't answer anything, oddly enough, I was curious about seeing him again. There was something about him which made me want to know him. Wednesday was an interesting day and my new favorite.