Chapter 2

To Belong

 

Seriously, what the did he just get himself into?

 

He growled as he willed his body to move faster, to let them escape quicker.

 

‘If we get out of this I’m gonna ing wreck you! he practically screamed his thoughts to Baekhyun, even though he knew full well that, in his full wolf form, the other male wouldn’t be paying attention to things like telepathy. Still, there was a small part of Jongdae that was hoping that his best friend’s currently dormant conscious would hear and take the threat to heart.

 

Things had started out fine, normal even, as the two of them stumbled into the riverbed area just barely before the moon began to rise. Jongdae was never really able to clearly picture the nights he’d spend as a wolf on the full moon, having given his entire mind and body over to instincts over reason and thought. Of course, he remembered more than any, say, full-breed, but still, it wasn’t much.

 

He does remember, however, Baekhyun getting a bit… too excited, through the night. Through all their games—running, fighting, and whatnot— the rogue boy had apparently gotten a little… cocky, choosing to go around a bit and go further out to chase this really plump looking deer, without even realizing how far they were going from their safe little area. Their sense of direction wasn’t really the best, and before they knew it, they were waltzing right into the middle of another pack’s territory without even realizing it.

 

Needless to say, their presence wasn’t the most appreciated, and now they were playing the wonderful game of pin-the-claw-on-the-half-breed-and-his-idiot-rogue-friend.

 

Jongdae flinched mid-run as he heard Baekhyun whimpering slightly beside him. They’d both been injured pretty badly before they managed to escape, but more than anything, the rogue seemed to have taken more of the damage, having tried to help protect both himself and Jongdae, who was far from a fighting sort. From how Jongdae saw it, while he himself probably had a few broken bones in his ribs, some torn muscles and bone fractures in his limbs, and some deep flesh wounds, Baekhyun was likely facing with a falling-apart ribcage, multiple bones breaking or broken in his limbs, and likely quite a bit of organ damage and internal bleeding. Just the thought of it made Jongdae want to stop and check, but he knew they couldn’t afford that. Not now.

 

The moon was slowly starting to set by now, dusk approaching, and if he knew any better, Jongdae would’ve hoped that with the passing of the full moon, sense would return to the pack chasing them and they could talk things out. But he did know better, and he knew this sort: wild, abrasive wolves would found fun in violence and had about as much desire to reason as a bear about to maul a human’s face off.

 

Just as the run began to rise from the opposite horizon, Jongdae tensed, and he knew Baekhyun felt the same thing he did: another group, not too far ahead.

 

They were surrounded.

 

But… these presences… they didn’t seem similar. If anything, they almost felt like two entirely different packs together. , were they wandering into another pack’s territory now?

 

This was the last time Jongdae was going out for the full moon with Baekhyun, God dammit.

 

The half-breed heard a grunt beside him, and he turned to see Baekhyun nodding his head in one direction. The rogue must have been gaining more and more of his sense back to have that much control and clarity, he supposed. Noticing where the other was gesturing to, Jongdae nodded, grunting his agreement as they started to take a slight turn into a denser part of the forest. It was a longshot, but if they could lose their chasers, without accidentally falling into another pack’s territory, they may end up surviving this.

 

Or at least, that’s what they thought, but several paces later, with the sun rising steadily, their pursuers not slowly down at all (though they were definitely fewer in number, Jongdae noticed), and that same, other pack’s presence still somehow in front of them, the young half-breed was giving up on any chance at escape.

 

Surprisingly enough, they didn’t stop because of exhaustion, or because the pack chasing them had caught up to them, but because they actually ending up coming face-to-face with this unfamiliar pack

 

As soon as they stopped, Baekhyun collapsed to the ground, unable to even try to keep himself up in case a fight happened. It appeared the boy had accepted the same, deadly fate Jongdae had. The half-breed immediately shifted when he noticed the stranger pack also in their human forms, but he made sure to keep close to Baekhyun anyway, crouched besides his best friend protectively in case anything happened. These new ones seemed entirely disinterested in the idea of killing them though, simply looking on from in front of them with apathetic, confused, or concerned expressions. What the …?

 

It wasn’t long before their chasers caught up, slowly walking up into the clear as all of them transformed. Their leader smirked down, and Jongdae instinctively growled at the man. Even if he had accepted death, that didn’t mean he’d go down without a fight. The Alpha just rolled his eyes at the sound, though, and looked up at the other pack.

 

“To what may I owe the pleasure of your presences, unfamiliar as they are?” the haughty Alpha spoke, and one man stepped forward. From observation and a few sniffs, Jongdae decided that he was definitely an Omega, though with the way he looked and the way he carried himself, he seemed more like a Beta, or even a lesser Alpha.

 

“You’re in our territory,” the man spoke, surprising Jongdae with the softness in his voice. He seemed quite tall, with dark, fierce eyes, and obvious strength running through his being, yet when he spoke, it was low, cautious, almost. “I suggest you leave now, unless you wish to die prematurely.” The Alpha man scoffed.

 

“C’mon now, we’re just here because we were trying to teach these little ers,” he dismissively waved towards Jongdae and Baekhyun, “a lesson for messing around in our lands. Not our fault that led us here.” The other man didn’t seem impressed.

 

“That is no excuse,” the tall man shot back, stepping closer and closer to them before he was practically right in front of Jongdae and Baekhyun, though his eyes remained on the Alpha in front of him. “Now leave.” The man growled, rolling his shoulders forward as though preparing for a possible attack.

 

“You think you can order me around, you little ?” he snarled, and the tall one froze at the words. “I don’t care what we did, you have no authority over me. Huh, proud little . I can already tell from your scent; you must enjoy getting it up the from your mate, I’m sure. Little Omega, trying to tell me what to do. Who the do you think you are, anyway?” The Omega boy looked a little shocked, even a bit hurt, at the words, but that soon morphed into anger as Jongdae saw the emotions swirl in the man’s eyes and saw him straighten up, rolling his shoulders back as confidence filled his being.

 

“I,” he practically snarled, “am Huang Zitao, mate to EXO pack Alpha Kris Wu, and I will not tolerate such attitude on our lands.”

 

Wait...what?

 

Zitao. Mate. Alpha. Kris. Territory. EXO pack. EXO pack. EXO pack.

 

ing hell, they had managed to stumble into, of all places, the ing EXO pack’s territory. They were screwed. Oooohhhhh Gooooood, they were so ing screwed.

 

Just then, another whimper came from Baekhyun, turning everyone’s attention towards the rogue wolf.

 

“L-look man, we’ll just take these two, do what we want with ‘em, and be on our way, yeah? I mean, I doubt you guys’d have much use for a rogue and a ing half-breed anyway.” the Alpha tried to reason, and if not for the graveness of the situation, Jongdae would’ve scoffed. Of course, he’d be okay with reasoning now. Zitao didn’t seem to be buying it though, as he narrowed his eyes to glare at the man and his pack.

 

“Leave. Now,” he growled, and it seemed as though the group was ready to back away, until—

 

“W-well, what can y-you do an-anyway?” another man from the pack that had been chasing them called out, and he was most definitely a Beta. Zitao glared at him, but the man continued, “I-I heard you’re a turned anyway, you’re probably a weak- !”

 

This man had guts, Jongdae had to admit, to speak out against an EXO pack member like that, especially the Alpha’s mate. But still, the half-breed couldn’t help and stare at Zitao in surprise just as the others did. He’d heard rumors of the EXO pack Alpha finding a human mate and turning him rather than mating a born wolf, a full-breed, but he never actually thought the rumors were true. But, judging by the way Zitao was tensing up at the exclamation, he figured that maybe, the rumors weren’t completely off the mark this time.

 

“...So what?” Zitao said after taking a minute to compose himself. “I may be turned, but I’ll still beat your asses to the ground.” Jongdae admired this boy’s confidence, but apparently, he was the only one, as the Alpha from before seemed to get a second wave of cockiness at the new revelation.

 

“Ha, a turned, Omega wolf, beating me? I don’t think so!” the man cackled. “I’ll have you crying for mercy, you little !” At this point, not only were the Alpha and his pack preparing to fight, but Zitao and the rest of his pack readied themselves as well, as Jongdae tried to figure out what the he could do to get him and Baekhyun out of the crossfire. It seemed as though the Alpha was about the pounce, when—

 

What the is going on here?

 

The voice booms and pierces through the clearing, and everyone turns to see yet another tall man marching through angrily, walking quickly to the scene. He was well-built, with cold looks, a deep voice, and a murderous expression. Jongdae didn’t even need to ask who this was; the man practically exuded the same scent as Zitao, so it was obvious that this was the boy’s mate— Kris, was it?

 

But more importantly, that meant that this was the Alpha of the EXO pack.

 

.

 

Kris stood by the scene, as the rest of the pack fell back behind.

 

“So, will someone care to tell me what is going on, and who the is causing this much ruckus the morning after a full moon?!” Kris snapped, and the tone in his voice made even Jongdae instinctively want to apologize and grovel at the man’s feet.

 

“I-I, we were j-just, I m-mean,” the other Alpha tried to stutter out a response, but was entirely unable to, and Kris didn’t seem willing to wait for 20 minutes before he did.

 

“...Leave,” he growled out shortly, not bothering to waste more of his breath on that. Within a few seconds, the other pack was gone, leaving everything behind with nothing but a few whimpers of fear and loud, careless footsteps— or well, paw-steps, seeing as they had immediately shifted into their wolf forms to make for a quicker getaway.

 

Kris, along with the rest of his pack, seemed right about ready to leave as well, entirely done with this situation, when Baekhyun groaned.

 

Immediately, Jongdae snapped his head to his injured best friend and, without caring who saw and what they did, crawled back over— when had he fallen to his knees?— to the injured wolf. He tried to survey the damage, but there was just so much internally that he couldn’t see. Honestly, it was a surprise the man had survived as long as he did, but it didn’t look like he could go much longer without a treatment.

 

“Baek? ing hell— Byun Baekhyun, you b-better stay awake and not d-die, or I swear to god I’ll ing kill you,” Jongdae croaked out as he shook the wolf with both hands (ignoring the pain in his own body when he did so) and tried to rouse him as best as he could, but it was no use. Up until now, the half-breed had been running on purely adrenaline from the fear of the situation, but now, with the chase over and the full moon gone, he had no energy to keep even himself up.

 

Eventually, he felt himself falling onto his best friend, collapsing out of exhaustion and injury. He could vaguely hear the noises of some conversation, but he had no energy or will to pay attention to the words being spoken. The last thing he felt was something soft, but firm his hair, before he felt himself fade into unconsciousness.

 


This chapter's a little shorter than the last, I know, but I promise I'll get the next one out a little sooner than planned to make up for it. c:
Anyways, not too much to say here, but as always, if you have any questions/concerns, or just anything to say in general, make sure to leave it in the comments below! Thanks for all the support so far, and, of course, happy reading! <3