Be Brave

Grim Reaper

“I’ve got to be brave. I have got to be brave. Come on Jin. Pull yourself together.” Seokjin whispered to himself. It had been a while since he last saw Namjoon and he was beginning to think he was going crazy. Well, as crazy as one could be when they didn’t understand a single thing going on.

One thing he knew was that he was dead. He had been hit by a car and died in the middle of the street. He also knew Namjoon was some kind of reaper that was there to help him move on to some kind of afterlife. But, just because he knew these things, it didn’t mean he understood any of it. It just didn’t make sense. Being dead should mean he shouldn’t, couldn’t, be able to talk but here he was talking to himself.

Seokjin put his face into his hands and sighed.

“I’ve got to be brave.” He began repeating again.

“Seokjin, what do you like to do?”

He was startled by Namjoon suddenly appearing a few feet away. He didn’t know if he should be scared or relieved.

“W-what?”

Namjoon smiled slightly.

“I asked what it is you like to do. Any hobbies? Anything you were planning to do with the rest of your life?” Namjoon slowly came closer and sat next to Seokjin.

“What I like? Liked. Seokjin sighed to himself and shrugged.

“I don’t know. I am, was, the president of my class. I was in charge of the school festival this year. I do a lot of charity work. I don’t really have one thing that I enjoy doing more than another.”

Namjoon watched him and Seokjin could feel his gaze. When Seokjin looked up to meet Namjoon’s eyes, he was reminded of the uneasiness they gave him. He looked away and chose to stare at his hands instead.

“Have your eyes always been so…” he trailed off.

“Weird?” Namjoon supplied.

“You said it, not me.”

Namjoon laughed slightly.

“They’ve been like this since I became a reaper.”

Seokjin chose to look at him again. Namjoon was still watching him so eye contact was almost inevitable.

Namjoon’s eyes were a bit weird. But only because they were solid grey. Like, no pupil. That was probably what was throwing him off so much. He noted that they did have the sclera so the lack of pupil was more than likely the cause for Seokjin’s uneasiness. He shook his head and looked back down at this hands. It was rude to stare.

“It took a while for me to get used to it too.” Namjoon offered another small smile.

“It’s just odd I guess.” He paused for a moment. “That won’t happen to me too, will it?”

“Not unless you plan to take my job in your afterlife.”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

“You’re going to be brave.” Seokjin looked up, mouth gaping.

“You heard me?” His voice squeaked a bit. Namjoon tried not to laugh.

“I did. I hear everything that happens here. But please don’t feel embarrassed. Just stay strong. You will figure out where you need to be and I will help you.”

When Seokjin didn’t answer, Namjoon placed a hand on his shoulder in a comforting gesture.

“It’s okay to be afraid.” Once again, Namjoon failed to mention the cherry blossom falling just beside Seokjin and landing quietly on the mat they sat on. He watched the other, a knowing look on his face. Seokjin would figure it out soon.

Suddenly, with the first bit of certainty he had felt since waking up in this place, Seokjin didn’t feel so scared anymore.

 


A/N: Lots of eye talk this time around. Just in case you didn't know, the sclera is the white part of the eye.

Tell me what you think~