I'm Scared

Grim Reaper

Seokjin would go on to fade in and out of consciousness and each time, the shadowy figure would be leaning over him. He couldn’t see a face but he was sure it was a person. What else could it be?

When Seokjin eventually woke up and stayed conscious for more than a few minutes, he was again met with the shadow hovering above his face. His eyes widened and he tried to push himself as far away as he possibly could, but to no avail. He looked down and he was on some kind of mat and he was pushing himself against something he couldn’t really call a wall but couldn’t rule out the possibility that something solid was keeping him from backing away.

“I won’t hurt you.” The figure said. Seokjin still couldn’t see a face and it made him uneasy. Had he been kidnapped? Was this the person who took him? Was he going to be killed?

“Calm down okay? I will not hurt you. You are safe here.” The voice was a little husky and actually a bit comforting but Seokjin wasn’t going to play along so easily. Not when he didn't know what was going on.

“Who are you?” His voice was rough with lack of use.

“I am Namjoon.” The figure answered.

“Why am I here? Where is here? What are you going to do to me?”

The figure, Namjoon, chuckled before answering.

“I am sorry to break it to you, and this won’t be easy to understand, but you are no longer living. You were killed by a drunk driver while you crossed the street. I,” he pointed to himself, “am here to help you move along to your afterlife. Whatever that may be or wherever that may take you, I’m not sure.” Namjoon lowered the hood of his coat and looked at Seokjin with eyes that scared him even further.

“Y-you’ve lost your mind.”

“If you want to get technical, I lost it a very long time ago.” Namjoon smiled.

Seokjin was appalled.

“If I’m dead, how can we be here? How am I still talking and breathing?”

“Seokjin, you might not have noticed but you haven’t taken a breath since you woke up.” Namjoon looked directly at him. Those eyes made Seokjin uncomfortable.

However, now that he thought about it, he really hadn’t taken a breath since he woke up. Even when Namjoon scared him hovering the way he was, he hadn’t even gasped. But how was that possible?

“Look,” Namjoon began, “you don’t believe me and that’s okay. I get this kind of thing all the time. But you really are not alive anymore.” He sat back with crossed legs and placed his hands in his lap.

“I’ll take this slow so you can understand, alright?” Namjoon paused for a moment before continuing slowly.

“You were hit by a car. You died in the street, pretty close to your school actually. A car was stopped at a stop sign and some drunk rammed into the back of the stationary vehicle, which was the one that ran into you. There were three witnesses. An elderly man on the other side of the street, the person in the car that actually hit you, and the person driving the car that crashed into the back of that one. The person in the second car was unconscious, laying on the hood of his car when police arrived and was tested at the hospital for alcohol. He was four times the legal limit. Paramedics tried to revive you twice, but you were pronounced dead at the scene.” Namjoon looked completely serious but it was too much information, and quite frankly, too ridiculous for Seokjin to take in.

If he were really dead, he wouldn’t be having this conversation right now. If he were really dead, why would he be seeing Namjoon in the first place?

“But what does this all have to do with you? Why are you here? How do you know all of that?” Seokjin asked.

“I told you. I’m here to help you transition to the afterlife. Some people die alone, Seokjin. But that doesn’t mean they need to be alone when they move on.”

A few moments of silence passed between them but they both stared at one another. Namjoon seemed used to this kind of behavior, quietly letting it all soak in. But Seokjin wasn’t sure if he was in shock, worried this guy was some psychotic nut, or…if he really had died…

Another beat of silence and, “Namjoon, I’m scared.”

Namjoon smiled and his eyes crinkled a bit.

“I know. That’s why I’m here.”

Seokjin stared at him with eyes that truly showed just how young he really was. Namjoon stared right back with a knowing look. Young deaths were not something he dealt with all that often but he knew Seokjin would find his rightful place. Namjoon failed to mention the cherry blossom falling gently to Seokjin's left.

 


A/N: Thank you guys for being so patient!