The painful metarmophosis from an ugly Duckling into a beautiful Swan

Everyone has a mask
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The Painful metarmophosis from an ugly Duckling into a beautiful Swan

 

          There was no drama when finally Kang Daesung reached the decision that would change his life. If he had to be honest the way he reached into his resolution was rather anti-climatic. There was no blood oath nor any kind of proclamation of revenge against people who wronged him.

          Who was he kidding with?

          Daesung was not smart and he didn't have any confidence in his physical appearance. However, if there was something that he prided was his sense of honesty (at least, when concerning his self) and also he's survival instinct (he was a coward, and his senses were more sharp and accurate than an average person).

           He was painfully aware of his shortcomings and even though Hyeri, the girl he loved and thought as a friend hurt him by pointing without any kind of mercy his faults, he couldn't deny that she was right.

          People always told him that he was an ugly, cry-baby and stupid. What was the point denying it?

          He didn't hate Hyeri per se, but he felt that he should to prove her wrong. But he wouldn't deny that she was the last person he wanted to see.

          To Daesung school was like a jungle. It was the survival of the fittest. There was not other way to put how the social standings worked. Either you were cool or uncool. And he was sick of being the uncool kid.

          He was sick of being a loner. A cower. He was tired of being looked down.

          So the decision was rather obvious: he had to somehow to adapt to the law of the jungle. His survival instinct screamed for a change. He wasn't looking for revenge. That was for smart people: he was looking for his own justice. He wanted acceptance. He wanted friends. But above all...

          He didn't want to be called "disgusting" ever again.

          He sniffed. The word wouldn't leave his head. Everytime he thought about it he couldn't help but remembering his disastrous confession. He knew that the first step to change himself was to return to school.  After weeks refusing steping out of his house, he obliged himself into doing it. He was nervous and with a reason. All school knew about what happened between him and Hyeri.

          He walked with hunched shoulders, not daring to raise his eyes from the pavement. His school wasn't too far away from home so during his morning walk he recognised some kids from other classes. As he expected he heard snickerings, comments and kids openly pointing at him. Hyeri casted him a dirty look when he arrived the classroom.

          He tried to concentrate in the classes but he couldn't, since even in there people would make fun of him. When he answered a question wrong or simply someone called attention upon him.

          That same afternoon when he arrived home he decided to carry on with his plans to change himself. In his naivety he figured that if he started to dress a bit more cooler like Lee Dongwook, the middle-school heartthrob than people would try to be his friends.

          The first thing he did was looking at himself was obviously, make an assessment about what he had in his wardrobe.

          Daesung was, for lack of a better word, a fashion-walking-disaster. He didn't understand anything about fashion.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter